PDA

View Full Version : Pink or purple bike frame?

SilverBullet
04-04-2006, 05:56 AM
If anyone can help me out, I'm looking for a pink or puple mountain bike frame to purchase for my wife so I can build her a bike. I've seen one, the Identiti Dr. Jeckyl frame, but they're hard to get ahold of. I've also seen the Surly, but from what I can tell they are only a single speed bike frame and I'm looking for 21-23 speeds.

Thanks in advance!

Veronica
04-04-2006, 06:07 AM
Why not buy the frame you want and get it painted? Paint is just cosmetic after all.

V.

bouncybouncy
04-04-2006, 06:39 AM
bullet...you are going about this all wrong...color (altho very important) is NOT # 1 priority in bike purchase!!!

size, fit, functionality, usage...then decide what color! and as V mentioned...color can always be added and personalized!!!

what is your price range?...what type of riding will she be doing?...what level is she?...have you thought about her test-riding a few?...there are lots of ways to still surprise her and still ler HER pick out the bike!!!

SadieKate
04-04-2006, 08:20 AM
Silver - I'm sending you some info on the rims. 21-23 speeds? Where does 23 come from? Do you mean 21, 24 or 27?

More stuff to be found at: http://www.girlbike.com/

The girls are right about color. You can get frames powdercoated pretty inexpensively. You want hardtail or full suspension? Titus made their Racer-X in hot pink until last year. You may be able to find one of those.

Does she ride already?

SilverBullet
04-04-2006, 08:28 AM
bullet...you are going about this all wrong...color (altho very important) is NOT # 1 priority in bike purchase!!!

size, fit, functionality, usage...then decide what color! and as V mentioned...color can always be added and personalized!!!

what is your price range?...what type of riding will she be doing?...what level is she?...have you thought about her test-riding a few?...there are lots of ways to still surprise her and still ler HER pick out the bike!!!

Both of you are right... color is only asthetic.

Right now she is riding my moms Trek 7500 hybrid. But, we are moving out of state and must give back my moms bike. We don't ride very often, but are looking to start riding more. I have an old Trek 7000 that built up, and she'd like to get into mountain biking as well. Type of riding will probably be a mixture of just riding around neighborhoods as well as the occasional trip to do some single track riding.

As far as level? I'd say beginner-intermediate. I don't think she's ever been 'off-road' before. My price range is higher than hers. I know that with bikes you get what you pay for so I'm willing to pay for a decent bike, but she probably won't agree with me and will think $500 for a bike is outrageous. Plus, I just like to spend money. :) I didn't flinch when I bought the Spinergy Rev-X-Roks wheels when they first came out, I had to have them. lol

SilverBullet
04-04-2006, 08:29 AM
Silver - I'm sending you some info on the rims. 21-23 speeds? Where does 23 come from? Do you mean 21, 24 or 27?

More stuff to be found at: http://www.girlbike.com/

The girls are right about color. You can get frames powdercoated pretty inexpensively. You want hardtail or full suspension? Titus made their Racer-X in hot pink until last year. You may be able to find one of those.

Does she ride already?

Oops. I hit the 3 key instead of the 4. I meant 24. :)

Thanks!

SadieKate
04-04-2006, 08:29 AM
SilverBullet - as requested.

My rims are the disk-specific VXC at the bottom right. If you don't want disk, it looks like the Aeroheat AT at the top left also comes in pink. These rims will have a silver braking surface so won't have as much eye-popping pink on them.

http://velocityusa.com/rims/atb-rims.php

I bought my rims on ebay (midnight surfing is dangerous). Might be worth checking there.

Good luck and let us know more!

bouncybouncy
04-04-2006, 09:10 AM
sounds like sadiekate has got you covered with the rim/brake situation...

i had a thought when you mentioned you have an "old" trek...is it just sittin' there? can you swap the components from that to a shiney NEW frame (or a used one with fresh paint;) ) just to get her out on the trails to see how she does? then you can start applying newer components accordingly?

my mtb has some middle of the line components and some higher end components for a couple of reasons...one example: my original brakes were avids but i got the middle of the road levers because they were LIGHTER!!! but that was because they were plastic...which was fine for me because i was a nooobie and pobably not going to be as hard on them...well time has past and i am racking up the miles so for Christmas hubby and i treated ourselves to hydro brakes...had to go with the better ones there:D

so you see...you have many, many avenues you can go without braking "her" bank and getting her a nice, beeeeutiful ride!!!!

Barb
04-04-2006, 09:19 AM
Silver- I jsut saw a Kona purple frame that might be what you are looking for. The whole bike is around $700 I think. It's a beg to intermediate hard tail. Check out the kona web site.

SilverBullet
04-04-2006, 12:16 PM
i had a thought when you mentioned you have an "old" trek...is it just sittin' there? can you swap the components from that to a shiney NEW frame (or a used one with fresh paint;) ) just to get her out on the trails to see how she does? then you can start applying newer components accordingly?

Well, the 'old' Trek is what I ride. It's an old bonded aluminum frame, and I went hog crazy on components since I used to work at a bike shop (got a great deal on all my parts).

Silver- I jsut saw a Kona purple frame that might be what you are looking for. The whole bike is around $700 I think. It's a beg to intermediate hard tail. Check out the kona web site.

Cool, thanks! I'll have to check it out.

tprevost
04-04-2006, 03:47 PM
just an 'fyi' - I have been riding my husband's old trek mtn bike (he has a newer one now) and I spent $150 on a two step powder coating for it (plus $40 for the LBS to take it apart and put it back together) and it looks great. There are SO many colors/finishes to choose from that it would boggle your mind!

Let us know what you decide to do!

Tracy

ps. I'm attaching a picture although you can't really tell how cool the color is - its a reddish color but in the sun you can see an orange in it and metalic.

SalsaMTB
04-05-2006, 09:52 AM
Cove frames come in pink. The Handjob is their xc frame and is the least expensive. It's a steel hardtail frame and is reasonably priced if I remember correctly. I seriously considered this frame before deciding to go full custom.

www.covebike.com

SilverBullet
04-05-2006, 11:09 AM
Thanks Salsa.. I'll check it out.

I found a 2004 Gary Fisher Tassajara WSD frame on Ebay, I'm going to keep my eye on it.

SalsaMTB
04-05-2006, 11:26 AM
Oh, also the new Trek 6700 WSD come in pink, but it could be tough getting just the frame.

SilverBullet
04-05-2006, 12:56 PM
Oh, also the new Trek 6700 WSD come in pink, but it could be tough getting just the frame.

Yeah, I had already contacted Trek about that. They said 'no'. My only chance would be lucking out and finding one on Ebay or craigslist..

SalsaMTB
04-05-2006, 01:30 PM
Ok, the only other place I can think of, and then I'm done and seriously need to get to work, is brew. The frames start at $699 but they have pink in their lineup of colors. I haven't rode one, but have heard they're pretty nice. I recently went through the challenge of a new frame. My budget started at $500 (not sure what your budget is) and ended up at $1000 (but I did get pink). I'll stop now before this happens to you :)

http://www.brewracingframes.com/id24.htm

SilverBullet
04-06-2006, 05:58 AM
I bought it! It's just the frame, seatpost, and Shimano XT front derailleur though.

Here's a pic of what the full bike looks like:
http://www.fisherbikes.com/images/bikes2004/bikes_large/tassajara_gs.jpg

Now comes the fun part... finding parts to go on it!

bouncybouncy
04-06-2006, 07:40 AM
well...that is neither pink or purple!!! but it sure is purty! i am sure with enough searching you will be able to find a few pink components (maybe) are the chris king pink headsets & hubs still available???
terry has a pink cage...and trunk (if you are getting one) giro has a nice Xen helmet in pink now...(when are they gonna have roadie helmets in pink again???:mad: )
there is a purple helmet out there too somewhere...

have fun building and i hope the wife has a blast on the trails!!!!!

in my area they have womens mtbike clinics hosted by a local shop...might want to look into that so she can fine tune some trail skills! :D

SilverBullet
04-06-2006, 08:26 AM
Yeah, I know.. not pink or purple. I showed her the picture, she said she liked the blue and that she doesn't want a pink bike because she's got too much pink stuff already! haha.

Anyway.. I know Chris King make pink headsets and hubs, but I'm not sure what direction I'll go as far as the color of the coponents. I'm not sure how pink and baby blue will look. It might look good though, you never know!

I found some pretty cool looking tires that have blue sidewalls, and there are always blue rims!

cindysue
04-11-2006, 08:23 AM
i just have to say it's great that you went out of your way to ask us advice and buy your wife a bike. I hope you both have many fantastic rides together!!!

SilverBullet
05-15-2006, 04:50 AM
Well, I got the bike mostly built. Now that it actually resembles a bike, I've run into a pretty big problem.. it's too big for her! Argh. The guy I bought the frame from said his wife is the same height, so I was like "great, it'll fit!".. but no such luck.

So, the search is on for a new, smaller frame. There is a 2005 GF Cake 3 GS frame on Ebay right now.. it's an XS frame (13"), and the one I have now is 17".. the thing I don't get is this.. the difference in standover height is only like 2 inches, yet 17 - 13 = 4".. I don't understand..

Does anyone here have a Gary Fisher Cake?

Starfish
05-21-2006, 08:34 PM
The Handjob is their xc frame and is the least expensive.

Uh, they called one of their bikes a Handjob? If it is the least expensive, what did they name their high-end bikes? LOL

DirtDiva
05-22-2006, 11:28 AM
You really wanna know? click on the link and find out. ;) www.covebike.com

Starfish
05-22-2006, 04:34 PM
Un-be-lievable.

Cari
05-23-2006, 11:25 AM
How tall is your wife, and how long is her inseam? (Her measured inseam, not the inseam of her trousers...) I'd think a 17" would fit a tallish woman... 5'9" maybe? But 13" is pretty small. I'm about 5'4" with longish legs (74 cm inseam) and I use a 15.5" or 16".

The difference in standover height might have to do with the height of the bottom bracket. Full suspension XC bikes and especially all-mountain bikes will have a bottom bracket that is higher up off the ground, presumably because you'd need more ground clearance to get over rocks and other obstacles than you would if you were just riding a hardtail on a gravel path, for example. Also, the angle of the top tube might just be different, which can give you a slightly different standover height on two bikes which are supposed to be the same size.

Whichever bike you decide to buy, just make sure to go to the manufacturer's website and check the frame's geometry to make sure that the standover height is at least 1-2" shorter than her inseam. Or better yet, take her to the LBS and have her fitted. Looks are important, but comfort is essential.

~Cari