PDA

View Full Version : Proud Mommy Moment..

Running Mommy
04-03-2006, 08:40 PM
I just have to brag- no gush... I'm proud as a peach right now! :D :D :D
My 9 yr old son ran his first mile with good old mom tonight!! He is doing the kids fun run at IMAZ this weekend, so I bought him his first real running shoes. I figured I better take him out to show him how to pace himself. I gave him one of my fuel belt flasks w/water, grabbed the gps and out we went. I took it super slow- his pace, and he did it with no problem. He even chatted along the way. Finished in 11:45 and boy was he proud!! His dad is out of town today so he had to call him and brag about his time.
He's been *running* with me since he was 7 weeks old in some form or another, but he has never actually *ran*. He never showed any interest. Well now he's starting to get interested and we even talked about kids tri's earlier today.... hmmm.... maybe all these years of "setting a good example" really did sink in! :p
Anyway, he asked me if he could use the fuel belt flask and gps this weekend in his *race*.. Yeah- he said RACE!!! :D

Nanci
04-04-2006, 03:21 AM
That's so cute! Do you think they get numbers? Imagine how thrilled he'd be if you can pick him up a number belt! He'll be running 5ks with you before you know it!

Nanci

bouncybouncy
04-04-2006, 04:49 AM
oh my goooodness!!!! that is so awesome!!!!

congrats running mommy...and running son!!!!:p

Nanci
04-04-2006, 05:44 AM
At IM Florida they had this thing, the Ford Challenge, which was a tiny triathlon course, with simulated swimming, then a trainer bike, then a short run course, for kids. Maybe they'll have that there, too! It was fun to watch.

Nanci

Trek420
04-04-2006, 05:47 AM
Running Mommy "I took it super slow- his pace, and he did it with no problem. He even chatted along the way. Finished in 11:45"

hey, I resemble that remark, that's faster than me! :p

Lise
04-04-2006, 01:15 PM
That's great! And, yeah, that's about my pace! :p L.

fixedgeargirl
04-06-2006, 06:56 AM
That's so cool, Running Mommy :D ! I'm hoping, not pushing, that my son (age 6) will want to join me like that. He was signed up for the .5 mile kids' fun run that was part of the big 10k here last weekend. I asked him if he'd like to do it, told him I'd run with him, that he'd get a shirt and food at the end. I made sure he went with me to the packet pick-up to increase the anticipation, excitement, sense of ownership. We studied the course map, talked about all the familiar landmarks he'd see...

He woke up Saturday morning and decided he didn't want to do it :rolleyes: :p ! No amount of reassurance (I'll go with you! You don't have run the whole way!) or enticement (Free food! And lots of it! Lots of kids to play with!) would get him out the door.

At least we got a t-shirt out of it :rolleyes: .

doc
04-06-2006, 10:37 AM
That is so great. I share the feeling. Last summer my girls 7 and 9 did a kids triathalon. The distances were quite short but they had a blast. The key is to make sure it is definitely easy enough for a kid to finish so they are happy when they're done, not exhausted or god forbid in pain.
My 9 year old is doing "girls on the run" so she has now run 3 5K's. She is super proud of herself. I'm proud of her too!

CorsairMac
04-06-2006, 10:45 AM
I've got you all set up in my thoughts RM - this Sun and you're an hour behind me now so I'll be in church (hmmmm does that count for twice as many blessings??) but I'll be checking the website when I get home!

You go get em girl!

triflor
04-11-2006, 04:07 AM
At Lake Placid they had the Ford challenge course, or whatever its called, too. Very fun to watch. Its so good to hear of kids being active!
After my mum did her first IM, she went to visit my cousins at school. That day they had a Terry Fox Run, and she ran with the kids. My cousin kept saying "that's her, that's her" to all his friends. He was super proud of his aunt. And this summer they came to see us in one of our Olympic distance tris. The two boys came out and met me on the run course, they ran along beside me for the last kilometer, then turned around, ran back out and did the same with my mum!

Polly
04-20-2006, 10:50 AM
It is just fantastic when kids enjoy keeping fit - I work in a junior school - and during pe lessons some of the kids actually panic and think they are ill, because they feel warm and can feel their hearts beating in their chests :(

I just thought I'd share with you this pic of my daughter taken a few years ago when she became under 6 champ of the midlands mountain bike series. I've never won a sporting event in my life but like you said, I must have set a good example somewhere along the way!

http://www.doubleard.co.uk/gallery/Miscellaneous/Liz_ben_web.jpg

..and yes, she did ride in those wellies! :D

Running Mommy
04-20-2006, 02:13 PM
OMG! That is SOOO cute! I'm going to show it to my son! He loves mtn biking and I keep trying to get him to join the junior team out here. But I think he's afraid he won't be good enough... But he would do FINE! He's just like his mum I suppose. Full of self doubt.... Oh why did I have to pass on THAT trait to him... sigh...:confused:

Nanci
04-20-2006, 05:06 PM
How precious!

Lise
04-21-2006, 05:22 PM
What a wonderful picture! May it be just the first on her shelf of proud pictures, race numbers, medals, and trophies. Lise

doc
04-22-2006, 03:40 AM
Polly,
What an amazing picture! Hopefully the first of many!