PDA

View Full Version : Venturing Outside the Comfort Zone

bouncybouncy
04-03-2006, 11:41 AM
so thursday dh gets word a mtb buddy is in town with about 7 other guys on a "no-wives/girlfiends" weekend of tearing up the trails...

***now before we get in a debate of "why girls were not allowed" i have to say i welcomed this oppotunity for 2 reasons:
...when it comes time for a "no-husband/boyfriends weekend" i will NOT be questioned!!!!
...i was able to venture out...hehe

i spent ALL day friday e-mailing local club-contacts trying desparately to find a ride in my "pace" category...low-and-behold i found a bunch!!!!

saturday i went north and met up with a group (mostly men) but felt very comfy! i even met a gal around my age...she was a little faster but more experienced...could be a promising riding buddy??? the route was mildly hilly (one major climb, but short) and we ended with about 32 miles and i felt GREAT!!! altho...honestly...i arrived at the meeting place about 30 minutes early and was sooooo nervous i just about bailed:eek:

anywho...it proved to be such a great ride and boost to my riding independence i was off to meet another group on sunday and once again had a beautiful ride (*** thank you mom-nature for holding out on the storm till sunday night!!!!) this ride was bigger hills but i kept up and held my own:D towards the back...but i was scootin along!!! i can't wait to get out again...woooohoooo!!!!

all-in-all it was a beautiful weekend!!! i found alot neat cycling folks in my community...i felt extremely welcome...and the views were priceless!!!! i still can't believe i live here!!!!:p

tprevost
04-03-2006, 03:35 PM
BB -

That is SO great! Maybe I should think more about joining a club ride - up to this point I've been too chicken!

I'm so glad your experience was so positive! :D

Tracy

Lise
04-03-2006, 03:37 PM
Good for you! It sounds like a great weekend. Hope the new riding buddy works out! :) L.

Trekhawk
04-03-2006, 03:38 PM
Wow Bouncy that sounds fabulous.
Happy club riding.:)

maillotpois
04-04-2006, 04:26 PM
Good for you - that's great!

I also welcome the husband's weekend, because I sure have enough weekend events of my own so the reciprocity is good. Of course this year most of DH's weekend have been father-daughter things - which is even better!!!

I hope your new riding buddy works out.

tulip
04-22-2006, 06:27 PM
You're inspiring me, Bouncy. I have a club ride tomorrow--my first in many years. In my head, I know I can keep up--it's a slowpoke ride, but I'm still nervous. Sheesh, where do we get this fear of failure??

Asheville is a great place. I own a house down there (my mom lives in it). Next time I'm in town, I'll let you know and perhaps we can go for a ride, but keep in mind, I'm definitely a flatlander when it comes to cycling. Those hills do me in.

tulip
04-24-2006, 06:00 AM
Bouncy, I thought about you as I started my ride on Sunday. I did it, and it was not hard at all. In fact, I was chomping at the bit at times, even on the the hills. Thanks for your inspiration! I'm going to try a faster paced ride next!