PDA

View Full Version : Knicker socks

DebW
04-03-2006, 09:36 AM
Does anyone use knicker socks on a bike? Knickers and tall socks used to be popular for hikers (maybe still is in Europe?) for ventillation reasons. With cycling knickers or shorts and knee warmers, they would seem to offer the same advantage, but I've never seen anything but short socks sold for cycling. I tried this out on one of my morning commutes last week. Started at a temperature of 35F but rapidly warming. I had on shorts, knee warmers, tall green ski socks, short-sleeved jersey, arm warmers, and a windproof vest. After 20 minutes, the socks moved down to my ankles, later the knee warmers moved down to my knees, and then the arm warmers went below my elbows. I stayed comfortable over a wide range of temperatures, but probably looked pretty dorky. My commute is 55 minutes and I'd rather not have to freeze at the start and sweat at the end.

yellow
04-03-2006, 09:40 AM
I have a friend that wears the tall soccer socks with her bike shorts. I kid you not. She loves them and has become immune to the questions (what are THOSE???). :p

DirtDiva
04-03-2006, 02:19 PM
I've been known to do that with my baggies. Not sure I'd be game enough to do it with lycra shorts, but I'm not game enough for exposed lycra as it is. :p