PDA

View Full Version : Cycling shoes

songlady
04-03-2006, 08:14 AM
I am looking at new MTB Shoes for my road bike. What shoes are you wearing currently? Are they women specific? What do you like?

Nanci
04-03-2006, 11:43 AM
I have Sidi Rampas, WSD, two velcros straps. LOVE them. They have totally molded to my feet like Birkenstocks. They feel that perfect when I put them on. The velcro opens the opposite from usual. I don't know why. I am used to it. I'm sure there must be some technical reason. The much more expensive Dominators are very pretty. I like the simplicity of the velcro only, though. BF had a pair of Genius road shoes for five minutes. Neither of us got along with the complicated little buckle. My shoes/feet were still (relatively) comfie after 375 miles this weekend, and my feet didn't swell up- still plenty of room in the shoes.

Nanci

short cut sally
04-03-2006, 04:20 PM
I wear the Nike womens mtb shoes on my road bike..they were the only womens shoes at the bike shop besides actual road shoes. I have never tried on others to compare. Am happy with them. shelly

Cari
04-03-2006, 08:07 PM
I wear some 500 year-old Sidi Bullets which I've had for so long that I can't seem to bear to part with them. The Bullets have 3 velcro straps. When I bought them I got men's shoes because I have a wide foot, but have since realized that the women's fit me better because they're ample in front but narrower in the back. So my next shoes will definitely be women's.

I'm currently in the market for some new Sidi MTB shoes. I've tried some Dominators, which have 3 straps - 2 velcro plus a padded instep strap with a buckle. They're very cool and the buckle makes it easy to adjust once you get the hang of it, but I don't like the fact that it sticks out to the side.

Sidis are great. Just make sure you get the right size. If you go to their website (http://www.sidiusa.com) you can download a .pdf document that has a sizing ruler with instructions. Oh, and you should know that in Sidis, whole sizes and half sizes have the same exact sole. The difference is that the corresponding half size has more fabric in the upper -- it sticks out a bit in the front and sides. So if you have a high-volume foot, you can go up half a size and will get a great fit.

Hope this helps,

~ Cari

maryellen
04-04-2006, 05:01 AM
I love my old diadora chilis. I just got a new pair (the diadora chili line seemed to be on hiatus for a while) but I haven't worn them yet.

Surlygirl
04-04-2006, 05:18 AM
I like these. They are cute. I take a 6.5 wide and these fit me great.
www.specialized.com/bc/SBCEqProduct.jsp?spid=13535

miffy'sFuji
04-04-2006, 07:50 AM
I got the '04 comp specialized women's mtb shoe because it was on sale. These are my first shoe with cleats, so I didn't want to spend a lot in case I hated them. I was a little worried after reading some of the comments about their body geometry, but the shoes have really worked for me. I have a slightly wider foot, and I find that the velcro is great for accomodating that. I had a little problem with my right toes feeling slightly numb, but I read Nanci's suggestion on another thread about moving the cleats back, and that cured the problem. I'm very happy with these shoes.

Dianyla
04-04-2006, 10:48 AM
I've wearing a pair of men's Sidi Mega Dominators (mega = wide) in size 43! They are the only cycling shoe I found to fit my ManFeet. They are also a very well-made shoe, I like the adjustable clicky third buckle. The only negative (besides the hefty pricetag) that I can speculate is that these might not vent very well but for my temperate northwest climate they're just fine and dandy.