PDA

View Full Version : climbing

CR400
04-02-2006, 04:11 PM
When you climb do you tend to stand more or sit more when going uphill.
On short climbs?
Long climbs?
Steep short?
Long and steep?

Im just curious because in one of my races had a deal of climbing and the next one has a few rollers that I need to stand near the peak to keep my speed. But I feel like a loser because the guys I ride with stay seated the whole time. And all the guys in the last race stayed seated while I had to stand toward the end.

Eden
04-02-2006, 05:20 PM
I usually stand for very short climbs where I don't want to have to shift down or lose any momentum or near the top of a climb to get a little kick up over. Sometimes I'll stand for a little bit on a long climb just to stretch out the legs a bit or again to get a little kick up in speed. Really though it's personal preference. Some people climb best standing, but for most of us seated climbing is a bit easier on the cardiovascular system and leg muscles.

Nanci
04-04-2006, 03:18 AM
I love standing on hills (well, what passes for hills in Florida, not mountains) because it feels good, changes the muscle groups around a bit, gives the undercarriage a break, and is like have a couple extra gears. But if the hill is long and steep, eventually it takes less energy to sit. I start sitting, move to standing when it feels right, (a bit before I run out of gears) then sit right when I feel lactic acid, if it's got much more to go. In a race, if I could, I would stand to climb as much as tolerable, because I go much faster.

Nanci

Robbin_G
04-04-2006, 01:14 PM
I've got a rather slow cadence anyway but a REALLY slow cadence out of the saddle (especially standing sprints in spin class). Whats the key to increasing cadence?

CR400
04-04-2006, 02:09 PM
Robbin, try to concentrate and make your legs go faster, by thinking to pedal faster. You almost have to isolate your lower body and make it move faster without moving your upper body to much. It is easier I think to start spinning faster while seated.

JmcG
04-05-2006, 09:35 AM
Robbin, To help your strength and cadence out of the saddle, also try to think about using your hamstrings more (esp in the pull up portion of the pedal stroke). That was my key to getting a higher cadence and climbing hills better.

RoadRaven
04-13-2006, 12:23 PM
Standing while climbing gives your muscles a break because you use different muscles.

My sons often stand when they climb hills with me because to sit at my speed up a hill is too slow and difficult for them.

I am learning to stand for longer and I stand near the top to give me a little oomph to get over hill more quickly. However, as soon as I sit my legs hurt... its just a matter of more standing and getting used to it I guess.

DirtDiva
04-13-2006, 01:14 PM
On short climbs?
Sit.

Long climbs?
Sit.

Steep short?
Stand.

Long and steep?
Fall over.

RoadRaven
04-14-2006, 12:39 PM
On short climbs?
Sit.

Long climbs?
Sit.

Steep short?
Stand.

Long and steep?
Fall over.

I always look for Kiwis posts... this is a great example of why!
Thanks TL, had me in stiches!!!

Grog
04-14-2006, 01:23 PM
Wow Road Raven is also approaching her thousandth post!

A girlfriend suggested recently thinking about your core and hips, not your legs, when spinning. Especially useful to have a nice circling motion while pedalling. It works!

MomOnBike
04-14-2006, 04:35 PM
I find my cadence increases by ~ 5rpms when I concentrate on the bottom scrape-the-junk-off-the-shoe part of the stroke.

DirtDiva
04-15-2006, 02:05 AM
Alas, that summary of my approach to climbing is also woefully accurate. :rolleyes:

jobob
04-15-2006, 08:31 AM
On short climbs?
Sit.

Long climbs?
Sit.

Steep short?
Stand.

Long and steep?
Fall over.

I was nodding my head in agreement with everything you wrote, 'til I got to the last one, then I burst out laughing !

You're a hoot, kiwi ! :D

(PS - sometimes I'll stand on not-so-steep short climbs too, for a little variety and to stretch my back and legs a bit)

RoadRaven
04-15-2006, 11:47 AM
Hehe Grog... I hadn't realised I was sitting only 50 or so posts away...
At the rate I get in here, its gonna take me awhile!

And Mom, yeah, pushing and pulling the heel as the pedals go round, I find that gives me much more power on the hills too.

*heads off to package up some padding and arnica for Kiwi's next looong and steeep hill*
(I'll just be standing by cheering Kiwi on - I don't do looong and steeep ... ;) yet... )

DirtDiva
04-15-2006, 01:25 PM
Fortunately for me, there isn't a lot of long and steep in London. ;) One of these days I'll take my bike further afield than Epping Forest though... :eek:

(P.S. Sometimes I stand for a bit on the hills, especially when I'm tired already- seems to get me moving mentally as much as physically.)

Tater
04-15-2006, 06:31 PM
I find my cadence increases by ~ 5rpms when I concentrate on the bottom scrape-the-junk-off-the-shoe part of the stroke.
I do the same thing!