PDA

View Full Version : Replacing Cables

RoxGirl77
07-27-2003, 06:36 PM
I think I need a new derailer cable for the rear derailer on my bike. My present one is only holding on by a few threads! HELP!

I thought since I'm an independant wonan I could attempt this task myself, as I am sure it's easy... but does anyone know how?
Or does anyone have a good bicycle maintenance web link they can send me to?

THX!

administrator
07-28-2003, 07:49 AM
Try Park Tool's website:

http://www.parktool.com/repair_help/FAQindex.shtml#drivetrain

RoxGirl77
08-01-2003, 09:23 AM
My goodness! The task of replacing my rear derailleur cable was a snap! I brought it in (after I took it on my last ride where it finally snapped! :eek: ) and had one of my friends brothers (a cute bike tech) show me what I had to do. It was soooo easy I'm thinking about replacing all of my cables! BY MY SELF!

I'm so happy I'm learning about maintaining my bike. I've got the power now!:D

Kpicha
08-01-2003, 10:10 AM
WOw! That's awesome! And all along I assumed that would be something next to impossible to do :)

missliz
08-23-2003, 03:15 PM
Good for you! Replacing cables is MUCH easier than you'd think, especially if you use the old one to ball park where to attach the new ones. Changing the housings is easy too, but you have to pop for the special cutters, nothing else works.
What a great way to expand your circle of hot guy freinds;) !

Lizzy

RoxGirl77
08-23-2003, 04:01 PM
I also impressed myself by tweeking the hi-low screws on a friends bike to fix her derailleur. I feel like a bike mechanic GOD! (Although I'm far from that!)

It's such an empowering feeling to be able to fix your own bike! :D

Kpicha
08-24-2003, 04:59 PM
Woo hoo! and I just replaced my hydraulic disc brake pads for the first time. IT was pretty easy but getting the disc and pads centered was a bit of a pain.

But, oh what a feeling of accomplishment when my pads finally broke in and stopped squealing and my front wheel didn't fall off! :)