PDA

View Full Version : Things I've learned training for an IM...

Running Mommy
04-02-2006, 12:34 PM
Hey there-
Well ,this is officially my LAST "training" thread..The next one will be a race report!! WHOO HOO!!
Anyway, I had a good weekend despite being up sick all night friday. Yesterday I managed an 1 hr ride in very windy conditions. Also had to deal w/ some a-holio's taunting me repeatedly... But that's another story! Lets just say for once there WAS a cop there when you needed them!! :rolleyes:
So yesterday it was blowing 15 sustained gusts 20-30. I was feeling weak, but also antsy to get out there and ride. So I told myself I'd just go cruise, not worry about the wind. Well what I actually ended up doing was hill repeats, and practicing how I'm going to pace myself should it be windy race day. Once I got out there I felt strong. It was ALL good!
Today I rode for 1:07 and then bricked a 3 mi run off the bike. It was a good ride. Today it's about 80 degees out and no wind. But the air mass felt 'thick"... Like it felt windy even though the tree's weren't really blowing. I think I would have rather had the wind. Because today it felt like I had wind in every direction. But it was phantom wind?? go figure?! I know- I'm a FREAK!! :D
So today when I was riding I was reflecting on all the things I have learned the last few months. So I thought I'd post them....

1. I realy really LOVE riding my bike. It took me until now. But now I actually look forward to my rides! maybe it's the new bike that actually fits, but I feel so strong and confident when I'm riding.

2. That any ride over 3 hours will require food. PERIOD.

3. That bag balm is better than any chamois cream out there! And less expensive too.

4. That your legs have WAY more miles in them than your mind does. So if you just tell your mind "we ARE riding until the gps says 100 miles and that's FINAL" you will be able to do it.

5. The importance of SALT on long rides!

6. No matter what, swimming 160 laps in a 25 mtr pool just SUCKS!!

7. Swimming over 1 hr sucks too!

8. TYR and Speedo have a thing against swimmers over size 14! Could ya make a 16 that doesn't look like a granny suit?! argh:cool:

9. Sometimes less is more when it comes to chamois'

10. Bike shorts are not made for RUNNING!

11. Never put icy hot on skin when you just finished a 100/5 brick and just hopped out of the shower! I actually BURNED myself! :eek:

12. Running shoes wear out at exactly 370 miles

13. When running over 5 miles you must body glide all those bits that jiggle

14. That it's easier to run 10 miles after a 70-80 mile ride than a stand alone 13 miler... It's all mental

15. As much as I'd love to make it one... chocolate is NOT a training food! It gives you dead legs..:cool:

16. Hills really DO make you stronger.. Both in riding and running.

17. That I love that sore all over feeling after a really long effort.

18. Ice is your friend! Nothing like standing in a cold pool after a 100 mile ride to make the legs bounce back! Or feeling that ice pack on used up legs..

19. Carbon fiber ROCKS!

20. That having supportive people in your life- even if you've never met them face to face- is the most important thing of all. Knowing that there is a collective energy rooting for you makes it soo much easier to get out there and tear it up!

Y'all have a great week!!
ciao!
denise

I missed a couple, so I'm adding them now...

Gummy bears make a FINE subsitute for Gu... I've tried ALL the gels out there and the texture makes me gag. But gummies work just fine. Cheaper too!!!

My gut likes cytomax, but after 7 hours it too makes me fart.. Sorry- but it does!! lol

Gatorade for anything over 10 miles upsets my tummy. I call it gatorgut. And yeah- I fart!!

Carbo pro is gods gift to Ironman triathletes! A taste free carb/calorie source that can be added to ANYTHING!

If I start to feel a cramp come on I down a couple of thermolytes and a few pretzels and I'm good to go.

Riding 100 miles is WAY easier than running 26.2. But somehow after riding 100, 26 more miles seems like a drop in the bucket.

and finally... Icing is super important after a long effort, but so is stretching. And stretching, and stretching... As well as having a SO to rub out the sore spots...

kjay
04-02-2006, 12:55 PM
Thanks a ton for sharing the things you've learned. I found these very interesting and helpful (even for biking only), especially about the Bag Balm. :)

Lise
04-02-2006, 01:18 PM
Thanks, Denise, for posting that. I will sure miss your training reports, and can hardly wait for the race report. I've learned about endurance and mental toughness from "watching" you, and also about just going full-out for your dream. Too bad about the chocolate. Are you sure? Yes, I guess you would be, having given it a decent, and no doubt repeated try! :p

You know I'll be thinking of you and pulling for you all week. Glad to hear that last training ride/run was a good one. Isn't the bike just the best?!? :D :D :D L.

Running Mommy
04-02-2006, 03:27 PM
I forgot some Lise, so I just added them...

tprevost
04-02-2006, 03:28 PM
I'm teary eyed...

Loved your post Denise and am very excited to come see ya cross that finish line!

I'll be calling you this week to figure out timing and get some suggestions. Enjoy your week and remember you ROCK!!! :D

Tracy

Blueberry
04-02-2006, 04:26 PM
You ROCK!!! Great list, even for those of us who don't do tris (but would really like to do a century before the end of the summer).

Please let us know how it goes!!!

Carrie Anne

KSH
04-02-2006, 05:51 PM
Some of those made me LAUGH!

Best of luck! You are going to do great!

bluedress
04-07-2006, 09:25 AM
Denise-

Excellent--LOVE the list!

I got your bracelets this week (I was out of town last week)--thank you so much. I am so proud of you. The courage and discipline you have found again and again to accomplish a dream is absolutely awe inspiring. And that you share your excitement and so willingly support the rest of us gals in catching our dreams is just incredible. You are a winner already. :)

*A hug for luck* and enjoy your race--you have earned it.
~Marca