PDA

View Full Version : I have no idea what mtb bike to buy-

crazycanuck
04-01-2006, 05:28 AM
HEy chickies.(moved this thread to the more logical area...)

Can someone please help me with my newest bike dilemma. I'm looking at purchasing a new mtn bike but am lost!!!

My first decision is whether to stick with a hardtail or move up in the world to a duallie. I'm not a pro but love to get out on the trails and go for it. The boys we ride with all have dualie's and are telling me i'll regret getting a hardtail again. Our trusted bike shop dude-(we spend most of our time there driving them nuts & spending all our $$$ at the shop)- believes a hardtail would do me just fine.

I've checked out specialized, but our LBS doesn't stock Specialized as only the big bike shops have the rights.I feel guilty going to one of the big chains & really should support the little guys.

Also,i'm unsure if i want a WSD as they're hard to get in WA & if i don't want the bike they order, the bike shop will have a problem selling it....('ve kept an eye on the post somewhere on this board about WSD bikes....)

I really have no idea about the diff btwn each bike co & why one is better...What is the diff btwn Giant, Kona, Specialized & Scott????

So, right now i'm looking at the Scott range.

Also, i'm sure this has been discussed as well but i'll ask it again. What were your(those who went from hardtail to a duallie) impressions of riding a duallie??? Was it worth the change?? Did you stick with the same co or change? Did you move from a normal design to wsd???Please let me know.

Thanks
C

crazycanuck
View Public Profile
Send a private message to crazycanuck
Find More Posts by crazycanuck
Add crazycanuck to Your Buddy List

Kathi
04-01-2006, 07:55 AM
I ride a Titus Racer X. Even though their bikes are not listed as WSD my bike shop said they are designed with the needs of women in mind, especially the XXS and XS.

A duelie makes challenging spots easier.

wavedancer
04-01-2006, 08:41 AM
I also just got a Titus Racer X after riding a Fisher hard tail WSD for a couple of years. I'm glad I started on the hard tail as it made me really pay attention to the trail and using my body to control the bike over the rough spots.

However....the dual suspension is great! Climbing and descents over rough and rocky, rooty trails is noticeably easier. Weight-wise the bikes are about the same, but that required investing in better, lighter components which increased the difference in price between the two bikes considerably. I had pretty limited choices regarding size and did go for the WSD to get a bike with decent standover for my short legs.

I love my new bike!!!

Good luck on finding the one that's right for you.

Linda

crazycanuck
04-01-2006, 09:45 PM
Hi ladies,

THanks for your replies-I went into a bike shop on our way home and asked about titus & they're hard to get in Aust-distribution problems.......pooey...

I'd never heard of Titus until you mentioned them & am going to venture to thier site.

THanks again ladies

C

Trekhawk
04-02-2006, 10:23 AM
Hey CC
Try this link to see whats available in Aust.

http://www.farkin.net/links.php?type=local#T

Happy bike hunting.:)

tattiefritter
04-03-2006, 04:29 AM
crazycanuck,

I recently made the move from hardtail to full suspension (August last year) and absolutely love my susser, however I still really enjoy riding my hardtail, or at least I will again when I build my new one. I would also suggest that you go for a full-suss but if you can keep a useable hardtail. A hardtail is good for when you feel all the suspension is making you lazy about line choices etc. I will be using my hardtail for shorter more social rides while using the full-suspension for longer rides. Since getting the susser I no longer feel like I've gone 10 rounds with Mike Tyson after a 6 hour rocky ride.

Just to keep with the emerging theme of the thread, I also ride a Titus, an XS Moto-Lite its a phenomenal bike. I'm 5ft 4 and have shortlegs/arms and long torso. It has 5" travel which makes it one of the longest travel small frames.

You don't mention your budget however, I live in the UK and a MotoLite frame with RP3 retails here for around £1400, I think a Racer X is more. I wanted my susser to be quite light and that meant paying the premium for lightweight but strong components. I think I spent around £3000 on the whole thing which includes getting the frame/forks and a couple of other bits sent directly from the US when the exchange rate was very good, I reckon I would have spent closer to £4000 if I hadn't done this.

I'm not sure what bike parts, especially American exotica, retail for where you are but importing from the States could be expensive (I did get stung for about £300 import tax but it was still worth it).

I would also suggest you demo anything and everything preferably getting it out on the trails you ride, I got a goood four hour demo on the Titus on some really rocky trails before I decided to spend the money. I also found that Spesh Stumpjumper (same suspension design as the Titus) not bad and surprisingly light, I personally didn't like the Santa Cruz Juliana. I know of people who ride Orange 5 14" frames - not sure if you can get Orange bikes there.

bcipam
04-03-2006, 11:46 AM
Buying a bike is such an individual decision - my only advice is to not rush into something or settle 'cause that's all there is.

For the record I ride both a hardtail and a full suspension bike. I like them both, equally. They serve different functions. The hardtail is lighter, quicker more responsive and climbs like a goat. The fully is heavier but allows me to take tough descents alittle easier. I ride the hardtail when mostly doing fire road and there's alot of climbing. I also use it on flatter, quick single tracks. I use the fully on singletracks, trails with steeper, gnarly descents, when I need a smooth ride etc.

If your money is limited, I suggest you get a good hardtail. If you have some money to spend, then consider a good "all-mountain/cross-country" fully. There are alot of good brands out there. Rocky Mountain, a Canadian company, makes a good bike. I love the Specialize mountain bikes (my hardtail is a Specialize M4 Stumpjumper) but the newer Spec. bikes are not as good as some of the older bikes and the price has gone way up. Trek makes good road bikes but I am not convince they make good MT bikes. I've heard alot of complaints.

Check around for these: Cannondale, Turner, Santa Cruz, Ventana, Ibex, Gary Fisher (my fully is a 2002 Fisher Suger 3+), Kona, GT, Giant, Titus and Rocky Mountain.

Try and ride each fo the bikes you want. Don't assume you need a bike with WSD geometry. WSD bikes don't work for me. It works for a woman with longer legs shorter torso. And don't assume that since you ride a small/medium you ride a small/med for all bikes. Geometry is different with each one. Make sure the shop is measuring you.

Good luck and take your time. Do some online research. Check with your bike friends. maybe they have a bike you can borrow and ride.

Jennifer
04-03-2006, 04:46 PM
Hi, I'm new, but this is a topic dear to my heart, so...

I love full suspension. I have had lots of bikes, and I am simply a faster rider on dual suspension. a good one ( read light ) will cost you an arm and a leg. but i think its really worth it. I find that when I'm climbing technical climbs the dual helps me get better traction. and men have such an advantage when the trail points down hill, full sus really helps you keep up. My last hardtail was a womens Specialized Stumpjumper. I've got a Jamis Dakar Pro, which is about 27 lbs. It's a few years old. I just got my new bike, a custom DEAN baja. It's titanium, and I don't have it built yet (not in a huge rush being 9 months pregnant) but it should be considerably lighter.

I would say that if you have a hardtail, keep it and buy full suspension and ride the appropriate bike for the trails. but i garauntee the hard tail will gather dust.