PDA

View Full Version : Race help needed!

uforgot
03-31-2006, 04:25 PM
I've been commuting by bike, and have a mountain bike that I ride on gravel roads and state parks, but I ride for recreation. I recently saw that the Missouri Show Me games has a 50-59 female category for their 20 mile cycling race. Gee, I'd like to do this, and boy I'd LOVE to win. Last year's winner did the 20 miles in 56 minutes. I currently have a Trek 7.2 fx, flat bars, can I do this race on this bike, (of course I would put slick tires on it) or do I need to go ahead and get my dream Bianchi Eros Donna? Or am I over-thinking a 20 mile race? Anything you can recommend to train for this? Suggestions, books, whatever? I have until July 22nd, so anything you guys tell me, I'll try. I've been dancing/teaching dance since I was 8, but I've never really competed in anything. Boy am I looking forward to this!:D

maillotpois
04-01-2006, 09:30 AM
Is this a road race or a time trial? Depending on which it is, your approach will vary.

Riding with faster riders definitely makes you faster. It's a similar effect to doing speed work or intervals, but more real-life. You need to get used to reacting to speed changes of other riders, covering breaks, etc.

Having a great looking bike may or may not make you faster. The psychological component can't be ignored, though!! :D

If this is a true road race, then you really need to work on pack riding skills for safety's sake more than anything else. If this is a TT then ignore this part of the post, but if this is a road race, and your first one, you need to be as SAFE as possible:

You need to be comfortable with contact and wheel touching, etc. I coach for team in training, most of their events are basic centuries, but we also have one event that we will train riders to race, if they want. I have used some drills for riders who will be racing in these pack type events. The best is bump drills. You get a pair of riders on a lawn, ride with sneakers and helmets, and ride around in a big circle, taking turns bumping the back wheel of the front rider, and then also riding leaning into one another trying to knock the other person off - not too hard, but you get the idea. Both of these drills will help your bike handling and confidence if you do get into a race conditions.

I'd also encourage you to check around with local racing clubs and see if any of them have a women's team or do any sort of womens' racing development. We are lucky in N. CA that we have several strong womens development teams, for all levels. Ask around - it really help to be prepared and have ridden in race like conditions - even just on a club ride. The more you can ride in a group, the better prepared you will be.

Racing your bike is one of the biggest rushes ever, but you need to put some time into the skill and bike handling so you don't get hurt. I have seen (and been in) some nasty crashes in races - most of which were avoidable if people handled bikes better.

I really want to encourage you to try racing, but I also want you to be safe.

RoadRaven
04-01-2006, 11:18 AM
Hey there uforgot...
Like Mallio says, you should define what type of riding you are going to do on the road as there are different bikes for different purposes, and your training will also depend on what you want to do too.

However, I suggest you do get a road bike as they are much lighter and made for the road and you will go faster and more securely on a road bike than on a mountain bike or a hybrid bike.

Its like comparing a SUV or similar with a family car - one is made for all terrain, and one is made for roads... a SUV or other 4WD will not hug the corners as well, will not zip up hills as quickly and will feel heavy and clumsy using uneccessary fuel (ie, your energy) as it pulls its heavy self along.

I would suggest a middle entry road race bike... don't spend heaps on bells and whistles like carbon fibre bits etc. If you are interested in TT, you can pick up aero bars and attach them. Have a go at riding with others, try things out... then your entry level bike can become your training bike, and you can buy yourself something specific that has a few bells and whistles.

Good luck and I look forward to hearing about your progress!!! :D

uforgot
04-02-2006, 05:48 PM
Roadraven and Sarah,
Thanks for all of the great information. I never even considered the "pack" angle, and I found how you train very interesting. I just sort of thought I needed to be faster. Had no idea I would bump anyone. I certainly don't here, I'm one of very few adults who even ride a bike in this town, and all the others are Huffys. No one can believe I spent over $400 for my Trek. If they only knew how low end that is! I'm sure I'm viewed as an eccentric...Yes, it's a race, not a time trial, and they start every age group 5 minutes apart. I live in the middle of nowhere, no race group in sight. However, I am within 100 miles of St. Louis, so I am going to do some checking for clubs and rides there. Loved the comparison of the bikes to the SUVs. Thanks to you guys, I feel like I have a place to start now. I really appreciate you taking time to help me out!
Claudia

velogirl
04-03-2006, 09:13 AM
If this is a sanctioned road race, you'll have to get a bike with a drop bar. Flat bar bikes are not allowed in road races for safety reasons.

My suggestion is to check the website of the race and find out who is sanctioning it. Then check the rulebook of that organization for specifics.

ps -- I think you should go for it. Find a local skills clinic and learn how to better handle your bike. And have fun! I know women in their 50s and 60s who race -- you're not too old!

uforgot
04-03-2006, 03:46 PM
Thanks for the info Velogirl. I will check the rules and find out for sure. I wasn't aware of the bar part. Just a quick question, though, why are the drop bars safer? Thanks for all of your help!
Claudia

velogirl
04-03-2006, 10:34 PM
Drop bars are safer in a pack because it's tougher to "hook" them on another bar. With your hands on the hoods or in the drops, if you make contact with another rider (ie bump into them) you can protect your bar so you don't hook.

uforgot
04-04-2006, 02:43 AM
Thanks. I checked the website and besides the description of the route, these were the only rules:

* All cyclists must wear USCF/Snell/ANSI-approved helmets correctly, sleeves and follow center-line rule.
* No aerobars allowed.
* Licensed racers must wear team uniforms.

Guess I'll contact the commissioner to make sure.

I also checked last year's winners and sometimes 3 people were listed, and in my case only 5 were listed. In the men's division, there were usually 10-15per age group, so I'm thinking that this may be all there is in each category? Each age group starts 5 minutes apart. I don't think cycling is big in central Missouri yet, but hopefully, we'll get there! Thanks again for your help.

velogirl
04-04-2006, 09:53 AM
Well, the website refers to "licensed" riders, so they're licensed by some sanctioning body (probably USA Cycling). Interesting that they reference the "sleeves" rule, which I think is one of the bizarrest rules in the book. It means you can't wear sleeveless jerseys. Lots of guesses why this might be in the book (some races you might have a number on your sleeves, prevents road rash if you crash, etc).

If you post the URL, I'd be happy to shed some light if I can.

Regarding posted results, the fields may be small, or the promoter may have only posted the top results. Hard to know without seeing the site.

But back to the original question, even without seeing the website, I can almost guarantee that drop bars are required.

uforgot
04-04-2006, 01:19 PM
Here's the url. Thanks so much velogirl!

https://www.smsg.org/sports/sports_info.asp?Area=CY

velogirl
04-04-2006, 08:15 PM
There are some additional rules for the cycling events here --

http://www.smsg.org/senior_games/sports/sports_info.asp?Area=CY

From what I can tell, this is not a USAC-sanctioned event, but the promoters say they will follow USAC rules (with the exception of fixed gear). Interesting that they are allowing recumbents but I couldn't see a separate HPV category.

Anyways, my gut feeling, although I couldn't find this in writing, is that you need a traditional road bike with a drop bar. But don't let that stop you! I'd say email the promoter to verify this and then get a bike and keep training. What a fabulous goal for you.

uforgot
04-05-2006, 01:34 AM
I'll email them and see. The senior games have more (and different) races than the regular games, so maybe the rules are a tad different too. The Show Me games is something Missouri does well. My kids have been there, and my oldest son even won a silver medal in basketball when he was a 6th grader. It's really fun and this year I noticed that they have dodgeball. (Adult, High School and Middle School). I'm currently putting together a team of my son and his friends, (juniors and seniors in high school). How fun would that be? You wouldn't even have to worry about winning or training just go have a great time and have "Dodgeball" team T-Shirts. At last....a sport where the dads can relax. Who is going to get onto the coach or the refs for dodgeball? I always hated that sports mentality where parents were screaming at their kids, the coaches, etc. The kids think it sounds fun, too.

Anyway, I digress. Thanks so much for your help, I've had my eye on a Bianchi roadbike anyway, so, gee, if I have to have one, now I have the perfect excuse, although it will have to wait until June....

Thanks for all of your help, you're really making me think I can do this! I'm armed with good information thanks to you guys!

Claudia

DebW
04-05-2006, 08:16 AM
That's very neat. I wish you well in the Show Me Games. I grew up in Missouri (though I've been gone for 32 years now). I spectated at a few of the state road racing championships in 1974-76. The bike shop I worked at was owned by a racer (he made the Olympic trials in 1976). One year the women's state championship had only 2 riders. I was kicking myself for not entering and coming in 3rd. Would have required getting a license, though.