PDA

View Full Version : Tour De Cure

makbike
03-30-2006, 05:13 PM
I've signed up to participate in this event on May 20 in Louisville, Kentucky.

Has anyone participated in these events in the past? How well managed are they? Do they mark the routes well?

This will be the first fund raising ride I've participated in and am hoping to do well and make those who sponsor me proud. I'm going to tackle the challenging 62 mile course and have been putting a lot of miles on my trainer this winter (1500 miles since November) in hopes of staying in shape. I've been able to get a few days of real road work in, as temperature permit. I feel strong when I'm out on the road but have yet to go more then 30 miles on a ride this season. I'm hoping I have not bitten off more then I can chew for I'm familiar with the route to be taken and it has a few long, hard climbs. I hope to get a lot of road work in next week during my spring break, weather permitting so that I can really see where I'm at in my preparation for this event.

Does anyone have any words of advise for me? I guess I'm just nervous given that I will not have many long rides (50+ miles) under my belt prior to May 20 given my work schedule.

Marcie

bcipam
03-31-2006, 11:41 AM
I'm signed up to do the Tour here in So. California (Long Beach to Newport Beach and back) also on May 20th. This will be my 5th Tour and I love the Ride. Part of it is becuase the route is one of my favorite bike rides. Of course, it's a great cause one of which is close to my heart as friends and family have the disease. Several years ago my best friend died due to diabetes related heart falure. He was a committed cyclist and dide shortly after a hard ride. I now ride in his honor. Don't know how your group is but here the event is top knotched. Well sagged, well attended. Every rest stop is a "party" and all well stocked with goodies.

Good luck, enjoy and report back. It's for a great cause.

maryellen
03-31-2006, 12:32 PM
i've done two TdC in the New York area. They were both a lot of fun. Food was good. Route was reasonably well marked. People were great.

Just try to get some longer rides in and you'll be fine.

makbike
03-31-2006, 01:07 PM
Thanks for the information.

I know this sounds silly but I'm riding for my cat, Scooter. Scooter was diagnosed with diabetes at age 14 and I managed it well for three years. In the end it was not the diabetes that took him from me but cancer. He was a wonderful teacher and friend and I still miss him. I'm looking forward to riding in his honor and of course riding for all family members and friends of my sponsors.

I'll keep you guys posted. No riding today too many thunderstorms in the area but the weekend looks great - what a great start to my spring break!

Marcie

Duck on Wheels
03-31-2006, 01:10 PM
There's a Tour de Cure here in Madison WI too. Same day as the others. Problem is there's also a Syttende Mai 17-mile hike that day too. I was thinking of hiking. Three reasons:
1) I'm better at it.
2) I hardly know anybody around here to get pledges from.
3) I don't know anybody to ride with.
Anybody want to talk me into switching plans? It's not too late yet.

bcipam
03-31-2006, 02:18 PM
I paid my own entry fee - I don't solicite donations although I did have some friends that went in and added their own funds on the website. I can write the amount off at tax time.

You don't really need anyone to ride with. My event is full of folks of all levels and there are plenty to ride with but I agree, it's always more fun to do a ride with womeone. I did my first full century alone and that kindof sucked. If the event offers long and shorter courses, elect to do the shorter one - more possibilities of meeting up with someone or less time out alone.

I don't push a charity event on anyone. Have to do what's in your heart. Diabetes is near and dear to me. My two best friends had and have it (one died one still thank God alive). Either event is worthy.

juvel01
04-06-2006, 06:39 AM
I'm doing the one in Virginia and we have a team from our local shop, all levels of riders. We're doing the 32 mile ride for the fun of it, will spend most of it yapping I'm sure! Should be fun. If anyone wants to join our team, we're Team Bicycle Outfitters.

amcgltdchix
04-08-2006, 04:00 PM
Thanks for the information.

I know this sounds silly but I'm riding for my cat, Scooter. Scooter was diagnosed with diabetes at age 14 and I managed it well for three years. In the end it was not the diabetes that took him from me but cancer. He was a wonderful teacher and friend and I still miss him. I'm looking forward to riding in his honor and of course riding for all family members and friends of my sponsors.

I'll keep you guys posted. No riding today too many thunderstorms in the area but the weekend looks great - what a great start to my spring break!

Marcie

Hey thats great!! I'm a licensed vet tech here in VA at an all cat's hosp!:) My dr that I work for does marathons all the time and he thinks I'm nuts for wanting to bike for a cause(for cats!-they need medical research to cure their illnesses!)

amcgltdchix
04-08-2006, 04:01 PM
I'm doing the one in Virginia and we have a team from our local shop, all levels of riders. We're doing the 32 mile ride for the fun of it, will spend most of it yapping I'm sure! Should be fun. If anyone wants to join our team, we're Team Bicycle Outfitters.

where is the one in VA you are doing?

juvel01
04-09-2006, 05:12 AM
We're doing the Reston ride which takes the W&OD from Reston Town Center to Leesburg and back. We'd love to have more riders!i

VALERIE
05-01-2006, 11:43 AM
bcipam
I'VE RIDDEN AND RAISED FUNDS FOR THE PAST 5 YEARS FOR
TOUR DE CURE IN SOTHERN CALIFORNIA. I LIVE IN HUNTINGTON
BEACH AND ALSO RIDE THAT ROUTE A LOT. I AM A TYPE 1 DIABRTIC
AND MET MY CYCLING GROUP SCOR THROUGH THIS EVENT. HOPE
TO SEE YOU AT ELDORADO PARK ON MAY 20TH--MY TEAM IS
TEAM BOTTOM LINE.

Ninabike
05-01-2006, 02:06 PM
Hi VALERIE and bcipam,

I would love to join you on the TdC but I'm not sure I'm up to the 65 mile ride. I haven't ridden too much this year since my husband's crash (I kind of felt guilty riding when he was not able to, and we like to do things together. Although he has started to ride again. He is not ready for a ride like this since his fractured pelvis). I could do 65 miles if the wind and hills aren't too bad. Could either of you tell me a little about the course. You can PM me if you want. I've never done this ride.

Thanks girls,
Nina

VALERIE
05-01-2006, 04:14 PM
Hi Nina,
You Are In Good Company--i Fractured My Pelvis In
A Cycling Accident And Couldn't Ride Tour. Don't
Feel Guilty About Riding--ride For Him. I Do The
50k Just Because I Have More People To Ride With
And It Makes For A Fun Day. Hey--anyone Out There
Looking To Ride Tour De Cure On May 20th--see You
At El Dorado Park Early!!!

Ninabike
05-02-2006, 07:48 AM
Hi Valarie,

Maybe I'll try the 50K. I have been experiencing some carpel tunnel problems in my right wrist and am seeing Dr. today. I need that hand to brake and shift. I will stay in touch. I would really like to do that ride. I also know some really serious diabetics (one on dialysis, and another with serious heart and blood pressure problems) and I would like to ride for them. My hubby is doing Okay after his fractured pelvis (in February), but he is taking it kind of slowly right now.

I'll stay in touch.
Nina

Wizzer
05-02-2006, 09:18 PM
I am doing my first ever charity ride this Sunday, May 7th. I signed up to do the 100miles! I do need some advice!!!!

What kind of food should I be taking on this ride? Hydration........just water? Any other helpful tips would be most appreciated, I am a little nervous about the whole thing!

bcipam
05-03-2006, 11:26 AM
bcipam
I'VE RIDDEN AND RAISED FUNDS FOR THE PAST 5 YEARS FOR
TOUR DE CURE IN SOTHERN CALIFORNIA. I LIVE IN HUNTINGTON
BEACH AND ALSO RIDE THAT ROUTE A LOT. I AM A TYPE 1 DIABRTIC
AND MET MY CYCLING GROUP SCOR THROUGH THIS EVENT. HOPE
TO SEE YOU AT ELDORADO PARK ON MAY 20TH--MY TEAM IS
TEAM BOTTOM LINE.

Val: I'll be there with my friend Richard who is a type 2 diabetic. We are riding for the Doug Phillips Memorial Team/Trudy Ibbetson is the captain. I will probably be wearing a Team BCI Jersey so look for us.

bcipam
05-03-2006, 11:33 AM
Hi VALERIE and bcipam,

I would love to join you on the TdC but I'm not sure I'm up to the 65 mile ride. I haven't ridden too much this year since my husband's crash (I kind of felt guilty riding when he was not able to, and we like to do things together. Although he has started to ride again. He is not ready for a ride like this since his fractured pelvis). I could do 65 miles if the wind and hills aren't too bad. Could either of you tell me a little about the course. You can PM me if you want. I've never done this ride.

Thanks girls,
Nina

Nina:

There are all kinds of ways to short cut the ride and still enjoy it. The ride is generally flat with the exception of the climb up Newport Coast. What I recommend (and what my friend Richard and I will probably do) once you cross Newport Harbor onto Balboa using the ferry, take Bayview to Back Bay and meet up with the other riders coming down from Newport Coast/San Joaquin. This shortens the ride to about 50 miles. Very flat. Depending on how Richard feels (his diabetes affects his mood and stamina) we might avoid Back Bay all together and head straight back on PCH cutting the ride down to 40 - 45 miles. There is also a 30 mile option.

Richard and I generally just cruise this ride. Enjoy all the sag stops (which are well stocked) and talk to everyone along the way. i.e. party! The day is generally beautiful so we just enjoy being out by the beach. You can do it, it's for a great cause and I always enjoy the ride each year as one of my favorites.

**The ride starts in Long Beach goes inland for awhile and out along PCH to Newport to the Pennisula and you take the Ferry to Balboa. All this is very, very flat. The Metric heads down along PCH which gets rolly to Newport Coast. NC is a good climb - about 1 1/2 miles at a 6% grade. You turn and go down San Joaquin to Back Bay, around BB (which is rolly but not bad) and back to PCH which again gets very flat. You generally have a tailwind out but a headwind coming back in. It's good to have someone to draft off of. Let me know if you need more info about the route.

Ninabike
05-03-2006, 12:09 PM
Thanks bcipam,

The info is very helpful. I may just go for the 50K like Val suggested. My hubby is half-interested also. I have my wrist in a splint right now. Turns out I have a bone spur at the base of my right thumb which is pinchuing a nerve (way better than having carpel tunnel which is what I was fearing). Breaking and shifting are a little tough but now that I know what it is, I'll just work through it. I really want to do the ride, so I will stay in touch.

Thanks for the info.
Nina