PDA

View Full Version : disapointing DNF in Etape du Tour

Jacqui C
07-23-2003, 05:11 AM
Very disapointed with my performance in the Etap du Tour. I made it up and over the Soudet inside the time (I'd ridden over 5 hours at this point). The climb wasn't bad, I didn't have to walk at all, unlike many others. However, I was slow! :( I would not have been able to get to the next check point without being eliminated so I abandoned at the bottom. My dear, dear husband (who could have finished the ride easily) waited for me at the Soudet sumit and as a consequence he abandoned with me. I was very emotional at his point and wished I had more in my legs.
Those who finished said it was the hardest thing they have ever done. Out of the 8500 that started apparently less than 3500 finished. This is the stage that is being ridden today and Eurosport are showing the whole of this stage live, so I'm going home tonight to watch how the pro's do it.
On the positive side, it was amazing starting with all those other guys and being only 1 of 200 women I got so much support from the crowds along the way. The first 35 miles were fast and some of those guys, wow! they are unbeliveable even as amatures. They descent like nutters, my max speed was about 40 mph and most of the gyus were flying past me.
We went the follwing day to watch a stage and then the ITT.
Mighty Mitre, how did your man get on in the etape?

Jacqui C ( in need of lots more training if I want to try this again!)

MightyMitre
07-23-2003, 10:34 AM
Hi Jacqui C - I kept a good look out for you but no joy.

Firstly many,many congrats on taking part in the Etap - you should feel so proud of what you achieved and certainly don't be too hard on yourself for not finishing. As they say, it's the taking part that counts, and the fact you were there on the start line in the first place and had the guts to give it a go is no small thing.

The fact that so many people had to abandon just goes to show what a monster it was. And bless your husband too for waiting for you - that's so cool.

Wasn't the start just amazing though. We arrived in Pau at about 5.45 and it was pretty quiet but by the time Ben had put his bike together there were HUNDREDS of people, about 4 coach loads turned up just as he was getting ready in the street. I couldn't believe how many English were there as well, several of the coaches were from England.

The start was amazing. It was at that point I really wished I was taking part as well, all the nerves and excitiment of the crowd. - after Ben had gone I stayed and watched for a while as they all streamed out. It was brilliant. Some of the different kits were extraordinary!

Ben was pleased with his performance - he got a bronze medal but was only about 15 mins off a silver one which he'd really wanted. His overall time was about 9 hours .

The finish area was also cool - I stood and watched everyone come in for about an hour and all the girlies got big cheers from the crowd which was really nice.

I think a lot of people were caught out by the final section of the ride. On the Monday evening we met up with Rob Hales, who rides for Cofidis team with David Miller, and lives in Biarritz, where we were camping, and he told us the map profile was quite deceiving. Miller had been out riding it a few weeks before the Tour and could hardly see for the mist. After the last climb it actually rolled quite a lot to the end so luckily Ben had been warned to save something for the final stretch.

Anyway, very well done again and I really hope you enjoyed the day. Here's to next year...:)