PDA

View Full Version : "Baggy" bike shorts

Lise
03-26-2006, 04:11 PM
Do any of you wear those baggy bike shorts? They look like regular shorts, but have a liner and chamois. I don't want to ride without a chamois, and generally enjoy the feel of lycra bike shorts, but don't like how it looks. I often ride to things in the summer, and change into other shorts when I get there, because bike shorts look tacky. I bought a wrap skirt w/bike shorts last summer, but don't really like that look, either (skirt's too short for my long legs, so still inappropriate).

I'd appreciate any tips--what you've liked/not liked. Thanks, Lise

annie
03-26-2006, 05:07 PM
I often ride to things, also, Lise. I love the wrap skirts, but I make my own. So they can be whatever color I want, whatever length. I prefer the skirt unattached to the shorts. It's actually cooler in the summer with the skirt off, and then just whip it on when you get off the bike. I've tried a couple different types of baggys....... haven't found one I like yet.

annie

yellow
03-26-2006, 05:12 PM
I have a couple of simple, cotton pullover Patagonia dresses that I use for this. Strip off the jersey (I usually have some sort of a good coverage sports bra on underneath), pull the dress on and viola! You are fashionable. They fold up pretty small too, so they are easy to tote around.

They seem to get cheaper every year, too!

Lise
03-26-2006, 05:21 PM
Hmmmm, yes. Good thoughts. Title 9 had some cute dresses in their latest catalogue. I still do want to find some comfy and decent looking baggy bike shorts for when I don't want to carry a dress or skirt and change of shoes. Not that I particularly like clomping around in my cleated shoes...:rolleyes: Hello, flip-flops!

Nanci
03-27-2006, 03:21 AM
There are a lot of cute baggy knickers out there. Lise, you could get the Shimano sandals! Tons of people wear those down here, all the time, as their regular bike shoes. On big rides even! That's the next thing on my wish list.

Nanci

Lise
03-27-2006, 03:34 AM
Shimano sandals! I had no idea! I will go look them up! Thanks! :D L.

Trek420
03-27-2006, 08:16 AM
http://www.teamestrogen.com/products.asp?pID=9964

can we find a handbag to match ;)

SadieKate
03-27-2006, 08:53 AM
I use the wrap skirts NOT the skorts which have an attached short because they don't fit right, too short, whatever. Terry makes them in a longer length. I also have the option of removing the skirt while I ride or can change into undies under it, built in dressing room.;)

http://www.terrybicycles.com/detail.html?c=Apparel&sc=Skorts&item_no=1827

I also like Sahalie's Water Scooter dress.

http://www.sahalie.com/jump.jsp?itemID=2832&itemType=PRODUCT&path=1%2C2%2C5%2C36&iProductID=2832 They've got several on sale right now. They have a very generous fit.

tjodit
03-27-2006, 09:46 AM
Do any of you wear those baggy bike shorts? They look like regular shorts, but have a liner and chamois. I don't want to ride without a chamois, and generally enjoy the feel of lycra bike shorts, but don't like how it looks. I often ride to things in the summer, and change into other shorts when I get there, because bike shorts look tacky. I bought a wrap skirt w/bike shorts last summer, but don't really like that look, either (skirt's too short for my long legs, so still inappropriate).

I'd appreciate any tips--what you've liked/not liked. Thanks, Lise
I just bought a pair of the Mt. Borah Mystic Baggy Shorts. I really like them except for the placement of the chamois. (I have an email into them about this). They are baggy and comfortable and you can't tell by looking at them that there is a chamois. Just make sure if you order a pair that you check to see that the chamois is in the correct placement. If TE won't replace them then I'll have to cut out the inner short and just wear them over a pair of my cycling shorts.

Nanci
03-27-2006, 10:22 AM
Lise, the Shimano sandals are more normal, the Lakes have a toe bumper thing. There are a couple more brands, too, but Shimanos seem to be the most prevalent.

There are some cute Shebeest cycling skorts on Sierra Trading Post right now.

Nanci

CorsairMac
03-27-2006, 10:35 AM
Hey Lise? I clicked on the link provided by Trek and there was a pair of baggy shorts there - did you look at those? I tried the baggies when they first came out - before they were really "perfected" and had nothing but issues with them so I've never tried them again. I have a knee-length wrap skirt that I figured I'd carry with me Or just wrap over my shorts and ride in on the rare occasion I feel I should cover my bike shorts.

Lise
03-27-2006, 11:32 AM
Oooo! You guys have given me some great ideas! Sadly, I am "working", in which I am not supposed to be "surfing the net", but "delivering babies", so I will go! ;) More to be explored soon! I am very excited about these SPD compatible sandals. Now I need a matching Timbuk 2 bag, as Trek says....NO! LISE! GO TO WORK! :p

Nanci
03-27-2006, 11:46 AM
http://tinyurl.com/lltuv

I _love_ these, I just don't know where I'd wear them!

Nanci