PDA

View Full Version : MTB recommendations?

bluerider
03-24-2006, 05:47 PM
Hi there,

I'm a die hard roadie who crawled out of the mud pits of MTBing and am now itching to get muddy again...

I've also decided to let my previous beast rest who is about 4 years old. I'm looking for bike recommendations and hopefully you MTBers can help! :)

I have my eye on the Trek 6500 WSD. I have also been told Specialized Stumpjumper is nice. But as a current Trekkie, my loyalties are to stay with Trek.

Anyone ride this now? I'm looking for a hardtail, something light and am still on the fence about disc brakes. I don't need full suspension. I'm more into XC riding and potentially racing.

As I support one baby, I can't break the bank on this second baby. I'm willing to invest but nothing outrageous...:p

I appreciate your insights!

Jennifer
05-02-2006, 07:42 AM
check out DEAN.It takes a while for them to make a bike, but boy is it worth it!

eofelis
05-02-2006, 08:19 PM
I'm not a very good mtn biker, but I like my Gunnar Rockhound (13in) a lot. It's a steel hardtail. I went from a Haro V4 to that and the difference in ride and handling was dramatic.

Nanci
05-03-2006, 03:31 AM
I would go with disc brakes. Mine are Avid mechanical. Never had a speck of trouble with them in years. They are _so_ much nicer, especially if you are doing lengthy downhills.

Nanci

DirtDiva
05-03-2006, 09:26 AM
Yeah. Anyone who's on the fence about disc brakes either hasn't tried them or is a severe weight weenie. I would never go back. I guess the best advice is what you've read here a million times before: go ride lots of bikes. :D

bcipam
05-03-2006, 11:11 AM
Up until 2 weekends ago I would have told you to look at a Gary Fisher or Santa Cruz but I just bought myself a 2006 Spec. Stumpjumper FSR and just love the bike. I got the most basic (and thus cheapest) model - but it comes with great components and I can't imagine what I woudl upgrade (other than the seat which I've replaced). The basic bike comes with Avid mechanical disc brakes, a Fox Triad Shock (with lockout and ProPedal), a Fox RLC 120mm fork, XT/LX drivechain and good Mavic wheels - all for a good price. The bike lists for something between $1800 - 2000 and I got it for $1650. Someday I'll probably upgrade to full XT (which I'll pull off my Fisher) and better wheels, and brakes but that's in the future.

The bike is designed for quick all mountain/XC and handles well. The 120mm fork makes downhills a breeze and the Triad shock with lockout makes climbing easy - like I'm riding a hardtail. I bought a "man's" bike - the color is a gorgeous dark red. I did covet the WSD FSR Expert which comes in a beautiful silver and torquoise but couldn't see spending the money to get a color.

PS: If you are set on a lightweight racing bike - then consider the Spec. Stumpjumper Hardtail (which I also own) without disc brakes. For about a $1,000 you get an extremely fast, light, quick handling, capable machine.