PDA

View Full Version : Wet weather gear(aust/nz)

crazycanuck
03-24-2006, 04:21 AM
Hey ladies,

I would like to ask the Aust & NZ ladies what rain jackets you use for cycling.

I lost one of ours last year & now that cooler temps plus some rain might be headed our way I tought i'd put the word out.I'm looking for something breathable,light & suitable for Perth weather.

For example I saw a nice rain jacket at mainpeak today and thought it would be good for cycling & running but am not so sure. NO clue if i should go ground effect again, mainpeak, kathmandu, paddy pailin or pay for shipping & handling with a co outside Aust/NZ.

Thanks
c

kiwi girl
03-24-2006, 10:41 AM
you are only ever going to get one answer from me because I am a ground effect chick through and through (I am even wearing a ground effect fleece as I type this in the Christchurch airport Koru lounge). I got five years happy use out of my flash gordon. Last year I bought a new She Shell (I still think that is the coolest name for a womens specific rain jacket) to take on the Great Victorian Bike Ride. It only rained one day on that trip but the She Shell seemed really good. I think the toss up between the She Shell (or the Storm Trooper is you prefer a baggier cut) and the Flash Gordon would depend mostly on if you want a hood. I've also got a Phantom that I wear for commuting. I wear it as much for visibility now that it is getting darker as for rain protection. That being said, even though it is only described as 'resisting light drizzle it has always been adequate rain protection (but my commute is only 10 minutes).
Actually I think that might be three answers

im4smiley
03-24-2006, 11:25 AM
Ok don't be offended but, I did a google search on the she shell to see what it looked like and....well....I came up with a sex toy. :eek: I changed my search to ground effect..that was safer and I found what I was looking for

RoadRaven
03-24-2006, 11:53 AM
We have bought no-sleeve jackets with mesh on the back from Porbikekit in UK... the brand name is Ronhill... apparently the English (where probikekit is based) call them a Gillet.

That's pretty much our wet weather gear. More water resisitant wind-breakers...

I have a long sleeved jacket also, that was from the LBS

If its torrential outside it becomes unsafe to ride... so we don't tend to ride in dreadful weather