PDA

View Full Version : tri race day clothing

bluedress
03-21-2006, 04:13 PM
I see many clothes for triathlons out there. And I am SO not going to race in anything that looks like a swimsuit (water is too cold--am thinking a few wetsuits here, biking & running with neked thighs--uh--I don't think so). So what do I wear and when do I wear it? Specifically, what would I wear in the water under my wetsuit(s)? (j.j. about the multiple wetsuits…maybe…) I know the cycling and running would be done in a pair of decent :o length shorts. My race season starts in June, which here in the PacNW can still be a bit gray and chilly. Anyone got a clue for me?

Running Mommy
03-21-2006, 04:21 PM
Yep Marca I do, but I'm on my way out the door... I'll send along some suggestions later...
Sorry to put you on ICE like that..:p
Denise

bluedress
03-21-2006, 04:39 PM
No problem...I have a little bit of time to play with...not dressing down yet...still cycle in three layers, run in two, and swim in the bathtub :p .

Running Mommy
03-21-2006, 05:43 PM
Ok Marca, I'm back...:p
What distance are you racing? Anything less than a HIM I wear a pair of zoot tri shorts under my wetsuit w/ my jog bra. Then in transition I peel off the wetsuit (obviously ;) ) and throw on my jersey. I find that the shorts dry pretty quickly on the bike. Depending on the race- and the pair of running shoes I happen to be wearing at the moment- I occasionaly skip the socks in short events.
Now keep in mind that I race in WARM weather... I have never done a race where I needed arm or leg warmers. The most I've ever worn is toe warmers on my sidi's. But they are T1's, so they have big ol holes in them for air to get into. I must say they are FAB on a hot day though! My feet never overheat.
Once I get off the bike the only thing I grab is a hat for my hair. I run and bike in the same clothes- makes life easy.
Now for a HIM I would wear regular bike shorts and change into tri shorts for the run. I have a friend who wears tri shorts under her wetsuit on the swim, then throws bike shorts over the trishorts, then pulls them off for the run. But I don't know how I'd like wearing two pair of shorts at once. Doesn't seem comfy to me. I would rather take the extra 2 mins to change. Hey, I'm not racing for a Kona slot...:p
Plus I used to surf so I;m really good at the changing under a towel thing...
Well, hope this helps!
Denise

bluedress
03-21-2006, 06:41 PM
I am going to focus on sprints and Olympics this summer since this is my first season out there. Your recommendations are just what I was looking for.

Ack--the wetsuit--I don't look forward to obsessing over which of these to buy! (Long sleeved, Xtra thick and buoyant, with jet propellers, please). How does one select the wetsuit?

I spent a moment in wonder today if I know what I am getting into. Yes, that horrid creeping of self-doubt. That wonder if I have what it takes to do it--four times this summer. It is also a little about that fear involved with stepping out of my comfort zone of doing the things I know I can do to instead do those things that are less rehearsed, more edgy, more challenging. My answer: all the more reason to TRI ! ! ! ! ! BOOM, BABY!

Lise
03-21-2006, 07:20 PM
Hi Marca,

Denise gave you great advice. About the wetsuit--so far I've done Oly distance in a fairly warm lake, and sprints in pools in which wetsuits are not allowed. In the fairly warm lake, I wear a light and flexible wetsuit with short legs and no sleeves. Basically, it's a cover-up for my running bra and tri shorts. In the pool sprints, I wear a tri suit (Sugoi, from the TE site) over my bra. When it's cold out, I pull on warmer clothes over it for the bike and run; when it's warm out, I still pull on a t-shirt because of modesty, and to hide my belly! If it's reallly hot, well, to heck with what anybody thinks of my belly, I'm a TRIATHLETE!

You go for it! OH how I wish I'd known about this site before I did my first tri. What a lot of help it would have been. When's your first race? Lise

bluedress
03-21-2006, 07:36 PM
The first race is:
Sprint Triathlon: 1/2mS-12mB-5kR
SATURDAY, JUNE 10
http://www.racecenter.com/bluelake/

Running Mommy
03-21-2006, 08:09 PM
Ohh looks fun! How warm do you think the water will be??
I can't really give you wetsuit advice, as it took me 5+ suits to FINALLY find one I liked! Actually I have the same kind Lise does- a short john, but I got a long john for IMAZ and am in the process of ordering the long sleeve model of my long john from Trisports.
Goodluck w/ your search! It's ohh so fun... (insert sarcastic tone)...:D
Oh- check out the last two reasons to do an IM on this (page 3 I think)

http://www.xtri.com/article.asp?id=434

Yes, you CAN do it!! If I can do it, ANYONE can!
You see that is the difference between those who TRI and those who Don't. Those who TRI say "I'm not sure if I *can* but I'm gonna tri" those who don't say "I can't do it, so why bother putting myself through it. It might hurt, I can't run, I'm a slow swimmer, I hate those little bike seats, I don't like to sweat etc etc"... I've heard it ALL! :rolleyes:
I always say "If you really WANT it, you can have it. You just have to be willing to do the work".

bluedress
03-21-2006, 08:41 PM
The splashdown:

Swim: Triangular lake swim (water temperature in the mid 60's).

MelC
03-24-2006, 09:42 AM
Whatever you do, don't let someone talk you into a one piece - whether it be swimsuit or tri-suit. You will always need to go to the bathroom at some stage between when you get up and dressed (usually at the crack of dawn) and the race begins. Most race locations don't have great facilities and wriggling in and out of a one piece in a plastic port-a-potty....well you get the idea.

Personally I wear tri-shorts and a tankini top through the whole race and just change my shoes (speed laces are great). I don't wear a wetsuit but haven't participated in any races earlier than June 30 or longer than a sprint (however I am in Canada so you need to factor that in a little too...:)).

Mel

bluedress
03-24-2006, 10:46 AM
Mel,

Yeah, I hear you on the one pieces...I have a pair of bib cycle shorts and pretty much want use them to tie and gag the person who told me they were "so great" every time I have to strip down to go to the loo. Thanks for the word of caution. Experience is the best teacher, eh?

So you are in Canada--wouldn't that make the water COLDER than in Oregon? BrRrRr...:eek:

~Marca

MelC
03-27-2006, 12:56 PM
So you are in Canada--wouldn't that make the water COLDER than in Oregon? BrRrRr...:eek:

It really depends on whether your tri is an ocean or a lake swim. In Ontario we only have the latter (no ocean here). A nice shallow lake can warm up nicely by mid-summer. This year my first tri is in mid-July in a small (very small) private lake. Should be nice and toasty. The August one will probably be the coldest since it takes place in Lake Ontario but by August it will be so hot here even that mostly shore line swim will be warm enough to remove the need for a wetsuit.

Mel