PDA

View Full Version : Mountain Bike Vacation.

Irulan
07-15-2003, 12:28 PM
Ok,OK....

I can't decide whether to do the short version or the long version
A weekend mountain biking in Idaho...

all images are links.

this is an annual gathering of some folks from an on-line mountain bike newsgroup. 6 actual group members, by the time we add in SO's, kids and friends there were 14 riders. Our Sat ride was through Ruby meadows to Loon Lake, then along the river, about 15 miles in all of single track on a hot clear day in the mountains, about 6000 ft.

Ruby Meadows Trail (http://www.specialtyoutdoors.com/amb/ruby.jpg) five miles like this!!!

we waited while someone fixed a flat.

nap time (http://www.specialtyoutdoors.com/amb/nap.jpg)

then, a nice lunch break and swim at the lake:
group photo (http://www.specialtyoutdoors.com/amb/group.jpg)

Gman the single speed rider (http://www.specialtyoutdoors.com/amb/gman.jpg)

then through the forest and along the river canyon for 5 miles, rolling with occasional technical bits:
single speed on the river (http://www.geocities.com/glaprade/ambEpic/SSingTheDream.jpg)

Sunday we went lift served:

me and my sweetie (http://www.specialtyoutdoors.com/amb/amb06.jpg)

bottom of the DH course (http://www.specialtyoutdoors.com/amb/amb07.jpg)

Most farklempt moment: Adam presented me with a lift pass as a prize. "most improved rider from last year". sniff. "over 100% improved". sniff sniff. I did ride awesome if I do say so myself, I can't believe how far I have come!!

I'm still waiting to get everyone else's photos.

Irulan

Irulan
07-16-2003, 08:29 AM
here's an album from one of the other riders.

more photos (http://www.pbase.com/gmanpbase/ambepic)

IronHorse213
07-16-2003, 10:01 AM
Irulan - looks like you had FUN! Great pics - beautiful place. Congrats on the "most improved" prize - looking forward to more pics,

'c

Irulan
07-16-2003, 12:13 PM
( for Kristina) ;-_

Ahh, single track vacation. This is an annual gathering, some local but some folks from WA, OR and CO. The drive itself is a great transition... across the wheat fields, along the Salmon river canyon and then winding slowly into the mountains...temps drop from 105 to 85, not a cloud in the sky all weekend..

The core group was 6 riders, but by the time we added in kids, friends and SO's the group swelled to 14, no matter.
Herding the group on Sat was like watching molasses flow; a 9 am start
somehow turned into a post noon start in the heat of the day by the time we
got the shuttle all done. But it was gorgeous out and the company was good
so I do not have any right to complain. I get all ansty to get going on
these things. As I explained to my hubby, "think of it like how
you feel on the morning of a powder day". His reply.. yeah but powder goes
quickly; the trail's not going anywhere!! "

Riding, I was in between the fast and slow groupings... a great place to be
because I rode alone a lot, but I always knew there'd be folks behind me. I was very relived to not be the "sweep" rider as we had one really slow rider who in hindsight, should not have been invited.

Omigod.. the Willow Basket windy portion of the Sat trail is awesome,
beautiful and a whole lot of fun. It starts out as an ATVtrail ( frickin ATV's...)I but soon turns into singles track, through an old burn and meadow
just twisting and winding up and down and around. The grass was green, the flowers beautiful...
the trail surface was sandy, just like home.
www.specialtyoutdoors.com/amb/ruby.jpg

Then, a little bit of climbing through over the next rise to Loon Lake, where we had
another long break: lunch, swimming and some folks hiked over to see the
W.W.II bomber under water that crashed into the lake years ago. It's your classic alpine lake: sandy beach, rocks to sun on, beautiful view...
www.specialtyoutdoors.com/amb/group.jpg The couple reading quietly
by the lake at the "spot" probably didn't appreciate the invasion, but if
they really wanted seclusion they could have chosen something other than THE
most accessible backcountry lake in the area. We saw lots of folks all day
long. (hikers, other bikers and horses, everyone was friendly

The rest of the ride was down into the Secesh River canyon, and then a
wonderful rolling canyon trail out to the campground. First the trail goes gently down through the forest, then drops into the canyon. The descent is decomposed granite, exposed and off camber. It was much easier this year than last year.

Then 5 miles out to the campground along a wild river. The trail undulates, but never really feels like a climb. Again, this is so much easier than last year! I try to spot the boulder that I cracked a helmet on last summer. ;-)

Then, a big BBQ ( fresh caught salmon, pies, burgers, beer etc) and single track DVD's before we all sacked it in for the night.

Sunday's plan was lift serve biking at the ski area.That was tons of fun, whether we were screaming down the green trail or
on the DH course. I had never done anything like this before, I always "earn" my downhill. It was pretty cool to just focus on the flow, the trail and the speed. I rode a goodly portion of the DH course, pat myself on the back. We did this for a few hours and then it was time to go home.
www.specialtyoutdoors.com/amb/amb07.jpg

Most farklempt moment: Adam presented me with a lift pass as a prize.
"most improved rider from last year". sniff. "over 100% improved". sniff
sniff.

Most deliciously evil moment: Screaming down the (green) Elk Trail This is a trail that families and beginners tootle along on: or nuts like us pedal and go fast. We got in one last run here - I had all my armor on after riding the DH course, just flying and I come up on two
beginner ladies going about 3 mph as I"m screaming down the trail
"rider!! I'd like to pass when you can let me by". I promise, I didn't
crowd them, but it sure did feel good to fly by being extremely happy I was
me and not them.
My best bonehead move... and no one but my hubby saw it. Finishing up
the last run at the ski hill, I bomb off the end of the trail into the
public area right by the lift load... catch my front tire on the edge of the
cement pad and go flying off the bike and sliding across the load platform
in my armor...in front of everyone.

final note: Last year I had the endurance but not the bike or ability for this ride ( portions of the ride were duplicated this year) My totality of flailing but with a smile and a good attitude is what got me inspired to really learn how to do this stuff. I'm not so sure it was a good thing to be remembered for all my crashes last year. After coming home last year, I bought a new bike, and then went to skills camp. Riding with these folks again was my whole inspiration and visualization all winter long on a spin bike, and having the fitness base has been my goal for mileage all summer. And yahoo... did it pay off!!

Kpicha
07-17-2003, 06:07 PM
Awesome!!! Idaho is really pretty! And all along I always imagined it was all flat and cornfields.

Sounds like you had a great time! I wish I had the endurance for all day rides and the DH stuff sounds like a real blast!! One of these days, I'll get around to that.

Oh , and we all have our "boof" moments! Good thing you had your armor on for yours. I got stuck behind my saddle this weekend and tumbled down about 20 ft and my bike landed upside down in a small tree :eek: Time to get some elbow pads!

Its amazing how we can progress from season to season. So, do you have any racing in your future ;) ?

Keep it up! and thanks for the write-up! :)

Cheers,
Kristina

waterlilli
07-18-2003, 06:54 AM
Sounds like a great time. I really enjoy your photos, it always looks like people are having so much fun in them, (nap time) Is that a Kikapu you are riding? How do you like it? I need to venture to Idaho sometime, maybe I will make that next years adventure.

gapgoil
07-18-2003, 07:06 AM
great photos! I will definately look into some of those links for an adventure of my own.
Congrats on your award winning performance this year! you rock!

Irulan
07-18-2003, 08:05 AM
First of all... Yes, Idaho is beautiful and remote, full of mountains! It has the largest chunk of roadless area in the lower 48. But it's all hard to get to anywhere, and remote, for example Sun Valley is a 6-8hour drive from anywhere...

Yes, I ride a King Kikapu. I absolutely love it!!! The reason it's blue instead of silver is that it's a custom order from Kona. When the gal who I purchased it from ordered it, they were out of the KK frames so they used a Mokomoko frame which is the same, except for the color. All the spec: components, wheels etc are KK or better.

The fun thing about the DH day.... it was a great opportunity to get comfortable with speed without having to "earn" the DH. I've got no real interest in getting a big bike and going big ( if you know what I mean) but at the same time I like to be able to handle whatever comes my way on the trail. The other gal rode only on the easy green trail all day, and she had a blast just learning to go faster. I'd highly recommend it to ANY mountain biker just for skill building.

This area we go to is great for vacations. (McCall).. the town is very cute, the big main lake is awesome for swimming, sailing, canoeing skiing etc, there's hiking,restarants, hot springs...everything you could want.

One last note: people pay big bucks to go on mountain bike guided tours like what we did on our own. A guidebook, a topo map and a little bit of asking around is all we did. Two of the folks were somewhat local which helps. But there's no reason to fork out for guides for mounatin biking, at least for rides like these.

Irulan

Terry
07-19-2003, 02:39 PM
Absolutly incredible trip and threads...really feel the thrill and joy of the trip!!! Can hardly wait for cooler weather here in the southwest. (we're inside spinning these days)

I think camp is a great idea as a way to learn skills, gainning confidence and endurance to ride trails for days. It sounds like it's paid off for you. I hope I get the opportunity some day.

Honest to pete, I have some pictures to share if can only get my "Chipolini" to take them to his office and scan them for us...
soon.

Terry