PDA

View Full Version : Cold weather gear

alpinerabbit
03-20-2006, 09:09 AM
Sorry if this has been covered again and again, but if the saddle sore can be discussed repeatedly, so can this.

I am going to stock up on cold weather gear but don't know yet which way to go.

I would like to be able to ride at 10°C or a bit lower, not down at freezing temperatures if that means an added set of equipment, and definitely not in rain or wet roads.

I have a windstopper soft shell jacket, windstopper undergarment and long bib tights so far, which helped me through a ride at about 10 °C but I was cold on the feet, fingers and legs. Also I want to take long flat rides to train basic endurance.

I have thought of buying:

windstopper tights (without chamois) to wear over the bib tights or a pair of shorts/that can double as winter running tights

long fingered gloves - not too heavy but with windstopper fabric

an under helmet cap OR I just saw a hooded top from nike that zips all the way over your mouth - now I wonder if I can keep myself from breathing into that fabric through the mouth, and whether it is warm enough, so a cap will probably make more sense -

and something for the feet: either windstopper oversocks or a neoprene shoe cover.

Any suggestions welcome. Especially regarding shoe covers.

DeniseGoldberg
03-20-2006, 09:25 AM
You're right - there was a thread a bit earlier in the winter. I just went looking for it (call me lazy, but I didn't want to repeat all of the info I had posted there, sorry!) - I think you'll find some useful info here: http://forums.teamestrogen.com/showthread.php?t=4757

You're definitely on the right track with the things that you've listed in your post. I have used tights with a windstopper layer in the front, but what I've found is that I really prefer wearing REI Polartec Power Stretch tights over my cycling shorts, and I add my knee warmers when it's really cold. The extra for my feet is toe warmers. I'm using Heat Treat (http://www.rei.com/online/store/Search?vcat=REI_SEARCH&stat=7889&langId=-1&storeId=8000&query=heat+treat) warmers, but there are others out there too.

I ride comfortably into the low 30s (-1 celsius), but I've also managed the low 20s (-6.6 celsius) this year. Surprised myself...

--- Denise

Nanci
03-20-2006, 10:11 AM
If you figure out the feet, let me know...

I've had really good luck with the chemical warmers for feet, but they don't last long enough for me. I have PI Calientoes, which are ok to about 55 or 60F, but I really hope to find something warmer. I bought neoprene socks, and they were so weirdly shaped, I couldn't get them on my feet. I would _like_ a pair of winter cycling shoes, but they are so expensive! Which would be worth it if I was sure they worked...

I have Performance Windstopper tights. I layer them over regular shorts, and sometimes knickers _and_ shorts. I have never been cold with them on, down into the 30's.

Nanci

CorsairMac
03-20-2006, 10:16 AM
Actually Nanci I did great this winter - rode down to 0 degrees (F).....I wore tights, Smart Wool socks, Neoprene Socks (called Seal Skinz), my shoes and neoprene shoe covers. I also kept curling my feet up so they didn't rest too long on the inside area of my shoes over the cleat plate. It was the first winter I Didn't have cold feet!

bouncybouncy
03-21-2006, 08:01 AM
ok corsair...where did you find your sealskinz???

i have such problems with cold toes (frostbite while skiing in my teens) anyway...anything below 65c is like solid ice strapped to my toes for hours!!!! oooh...the pain!!! i know winter shoes are in order and heatwarmers are an option but if i have to use them until the weather hits the 70's it is gonna get expensive!!! the rest of me seems to deal fine with the chill....

thanks

DeniseGoldberg
03-21-2006, 08:22 AM
ok corsair...where did you find your sealskinz???

Sorry, I'm not Corsair... but I did a search and found that TE carries them, as does REI.

--- Denise

bouncybouncy
03-21-2006, 08:26 AM
OH BOY!!!!! THANKS!!!!

i googled it and only got UK sites (too much $$$ for shipping)

off to shop...:D

CorsairMac
03-21-2006, 08:29 AM
http://www.rei.com/online/store/Search?vcat=REI_SEARCH&stat=7889&langId=-1&storeId=8000&query=SealSkinz&x=0&y=0
Denise beat me to it - but I found them at REI. I originally got them to keep my feet dry on the Harley but have since discovered how wonderful they are at keeping my feet warm on the non-motorized bike!