PDA

View Full Version : The best 3/4 length shorts

JoHunter
03-20-2006, 12:48 AM
After buying a pair of PI sugar knickers and being thoroughly disappointed in the chamois and the overall fit i'm looking to find a good pair of 3/4 shorts. Any recommendations? They'd also have to be available in XS. Thanks :)

tattiefritter
03-20-2006, 06:51 AM
Jo, I have a few different types of 3/4 lengths.

My current favourites are Ground Effect Witches Britches (www.groundeffect.co.nz), they fit really well (8 panel), the lycra feels good and the chamois is pretty good too. They also have fleece lined knees which is nice in colder days. They go down to a size small only so they may be a little big for you as GroundEffect sizing is quite generous.

For warmer days with cool starts (mainly commuting) I use my "Protective" 3/4 lengths. I've had pairs of these for over 5 years (need to replace them now). They are only four panel but I really like the chamois. They are available from the JustProtective website:

http://www.justprotective.com/ebwPNLqrymode.a4p?_ProductID=0&f_WebLinkID=127&f_SortOrderID=1

They've just brought out the cubit ones which are super roubaix fabric, I'm thinking of buying a pair. They go down to size XS.

I also have a pair of Endura ones that I have never gotten on with, they are a little on the small side size wise and the leg gripper just cuts right into my (rather large) calves. A friend of mine is quite small and she really likes hers so they may be an option for you. I found the chamois on them a little on the thin side as well for me (though that may have changed by now). I've had a quick look at the usual online suspects and no-one seems to have them at the moment. The endura website lists them:

http://www.endura.co.uk/women_meryl_3_4.html

The black ones look ok, I have the "airforce blue" ones which are a thinner material and can be see through at the backside in certain light conditions (another reason I don't like them).

Good luck finding something. I'll be buying a few pairs of 3/4 lengths this year myself.

Cari
03-23-2006, 09:13 AM
After buying a pair of PI sugar knickers and being thoroughly disappointed in the chamois and the overall fit i'm looking to find a good pair of 3/4 shorts. Any recommendations? They'd also have to be available in XS. Thanks :)

Did you try the 2006 Sugar Knickers, or the 2005? The fit and the chamois on the 2006 model seemed to be a lot better than on the 2005. The rise is really low so they won't work for me, but they might be perfect for an XS like you. :)

So far the best I've found are the Sheebest Pedal Pushers. They're the only knickers that I can wear for road biking or on longish mtb rides. I did have a problem with the chamois on the first pair I bought, but that was probably a fluke. I got a warranty replacement and will start using them again soon.

I also really love the Shebeest Shindiggers with Chamois. They're extremely comfortable and flattering, a bit shorter than most knickers, and don't have elastic at the hem. Unfortunately the chamois is kinda thin and not appropriate for long rides.

You may want to check out what others have written on the Castelli Zen Knickers. They seem pretty good, and the size Small might fit you. I'm waiting for other sizes to come in so I can order a pair.

Good luck, and please let us know if you find anything you really like. :)

~ Cari

miffy'sFuji
03-23-2006, 09:59 AM
I just got a pair of Sugoi Lucky knickers and have worn them twice. These are my first ever bike apparel/short. I was very happy with the length (mid calf on me) and that it flares just a bit at the bottom. I think the style might be a little more on the flattering side for someone with a less than perfect figure like me. ;)

Never having used a chamois before, I don't have anything with which to judge them. It seemed to me that the chamois might be slightly large, but that could be due to me not being at all used to having one. I used it on a 10 mile and then a 14 mile ride and experienced no chafing sensation at all, which was a pleasant change from the usual (some chafing when I wear regular pants).

I was worried when I first got them because they are low-rise. I did a bend over test (touched my toes) and nothing was bared. :o whew. Low-rise things usually don't work for me, but if these hold their elasticity I think they will be fine.

p.s. These knickers do come in x-small.

Trekhawk
03-23-2006, 11:01 AM
I just got a pair of Sugoi Lucky knickers and have worn them twice. These are my first ever bike apparel/short. I was very happy with the length (mid calf on me) and that it flares just a bit at the bottom. I think the style might be a little more on the flattering side for someone with a less than perfect figure like me. ;)

Sorry ladies this has nothing to do with the thread, just wanted to say how cute I think Miffy and the bicycle are.:D

JoHunter
03-24-2006, 01:04 AM
I've heard great things about the Sugoi knickers on another forum, and they're readily available to me in the UK. I'm not sure what model Sugar Knickers I got, I reckon the 2005, but from what I've read PI run quite large compared to other brands, so even with the newer model I might not have been satisified. Thanks for the help ladies :)