PDA

View Full Version : Training is paying off!

Veronica
03-18-2006, 08:16 PM
Today I rode the middle section of the DMD course. 95 miles over 9900 feet of climbing.

I felt really good when I stopped. If it had not been dark, I could have ridden to the end of the course. But there is a section of very busy highway, with no bike lane to speak of. Plus I was getting cold.

For those of you who know the area, Sierra Rd. (you can do a search and look at Jo's awesome pics!) after Mt. Hamilton is VERY tough. Thom had figured it would take me about an hour to get up it. I kept looking at my watch - 25 more minutes of agony. 20 more minutes. You can do anything for 20 minutes. Ha, it only took 50 minutes! It took me 47 minutes the day I did by itself.

After Sierra, the next 21 miles are pretty rolly - mainly down. Although Calaveras Wall snuck up on me. I was flying down the hill, there's my turn (arrows blacked out by stupid neighbors!) and bang, I'm hit by this short, steep section.

It was a good ride. Everything I ate sat well. I should have brought warmer clothes. The descent of Hamilton was cold and once it got dark it was quite chilly.

V.

PS Big thanks to Jo and Lee for your help!

Running Mommy
03-18-2006, 08:25 PM
WOW!! Great job!! Yeah I saw Sierra rd on the TOC! WOW WOW WOW!!! You are one climbing chica!! As a hill weenie I bow to you! *I'm not worthy, i'm not worthy* hee hee
Great ride!
Sounds like you gave sieera road your mad dog training face :mad: :mad: :mad: and showed it who's boss!! :D

jobob
03-18-2006, 08:57 PM
Anytime, you'd do the same for us. So you didn't end up riding Niles Canyon? I was a bit worried about that (mother hen mode kicking in) - I dislike riding that nasty stretch of road in broad daylight. :p

RoadRaven
03-18-2006, 09:31 PM
Well done V
I love "seeing" improvements like this in my own training - so gratifying to know the perserverance and hard work is paying off...

WOOHOO!!!
Way to go, V!!!

Adventure Girl
03-18-2006, 09:41 PM
95 miles over 9900 feet of climbing.Wow! That's impressive!
I wanted to just post the "Wow", but my message had to be at least 10 letters. How about: Wow! Wow! Wowy!

Veronica
03-19-2006, 03:25 AM
So you didn't end up riding Niles Canyon? I was a bit worried about that (mother hen mode kicking in) - I dislike riding that nasty stretch of road in broad daylight. :p

Yeah - I stopped at the train station at Sunol. It just seemed prudent. I had done my primary goal - Hamilton + Sierra. I had wanted 120 miles, but saw no point to riding that section alone in the dark. Plus there was quite a bit traffic.

I could have had Thom follow me in the truck - but I really wasn't dressed for cold. :rolleyes:

V.

maillotpois
03-19-2006, 06:43 AM
Fantastic! What a great ride! After all that, Solvang will seem easy by comparison! :)

tprevost
03-19-2006, 07:27 AM
Excellent Job Veronica! What a studette! ;) Its so great to see hard work paying off!

Way to go!!!

T~

Selkie
03-19-2006, 11:54 AM
Today I rode the middle section of the DMD course. 95 miles over 9900 feet of climbing. ...
For those of you who know the area, Sierra Rd. (you can do a search and look at Jo's awesome pics!) after Mt. Hamilton is VERY tough. Thom had figured it would take me about an hour to get up it. I kept looking at my watch - 25 more minutes of agony. 20 more minutes. You can do anything for 20 minutes. Ha, it only took 50 minutes! It took me 47 minutes the day I did by itself.

After Sierra, the next 21 miles are pretty rolly - mainly down. Although Calaveras Wall snuck up on me. I was flying down the hill, there's my turn (arrows blacked out by stupid neighbors!) and bang, I'm hit by this short, steep section.
!

Is this the same girl who was unhappy about doing Uphill Grind not too long ago? The hard work has paid off. I think that ride alone has earned you another pair of those Louis Garneau shorts. ;)