PDA

View Full Version : Spin Bikes for Home

bkolson
03-17-2006, 07:21 AM
Morning all,

I want to purchase a spin bike for home but i'm finding it difficult to find product reviews. Does anyone own a spin bike that they could recommend or give a brief review of?

RoadRaven
03-17-2006, 04:42 PM
I'm with bk... still haven't bought a spin bike - although we almost did last week, still looking at products... interested in anyone's "reviews"...

VenusdeVelo
03-18-2006, 05:41 AM
I have the older "Johnny G" spinner (I think they were Startrac brand) and I've been a little disappointed with how it's hed up in terms of little noises and such. I have taught though alot on both Schwinn and Lemond and I have to say hands-down I find the Lemond spinners so smooth and longer wearing. I'd suggest checking them out.

brok
03-18-2006, 08:07 AM
I bought a LeMond RevMaster about 2 months ago. While I don't have anything to compare it too, I would say this is an awesome spin bike. It is very smooth, quiet, and sturdy. The thing I like to most is its almost infinite adjustability. I took measurments from my road bike and very successfully reproduced that set up on the LeMond. I don't think you could go wrong with the LeMond. Just my $.02 worth:)

bkolson
03-20-2006, 06:40 AM
I bought a multisports enc 500 for $700. I'd finally found a few professional reviews and they suggested kettler, but i didn't want to spend the money, and multisports. I found a good place online that carries different brands with free shipping and the gentleman i talked to when i called the store direct. He mentioned that multisports is a relatively new company that seems to be able to put out a good product for virtually half of some of the other brands.

I should receive it later this week or early next. We'll see what this one is like when i get it. :D :cool:

RoadRaven
03-24-2006, 11:57 AM
We are looking at getting a "vega" spin bike... still trying to research it... has anyone any anecdotal bits about vega?

We'll prob'ly order it next week.

http://www.torpedo7.com/page/bikes/CTGY/spinbikes-accessories

I used a spin bike for the first time at the local gym last week and found it one of the toughest 20 minute workouts I have ever had.

boulderbliss
04-01-2006, 01:09 PM
I bought a LeMond Revmaster at the beginning of the year too and love it! In the past I used the Startrac ones at the gym which were fine, but I am really loving my LeMond and happy I chose this one.

BigRingB*tch
05-03-2006, 11:38 AM
I absolutely love my CycleOps Pro 300PT. It is a very smooth ride, quiet too. It is very easy to adjust to your specifications. Here is a link, as to the features it has:
http://froogle.google.com/froogle?q=CycleOps+Pro+300PT&hl=en&lr=&rls=GGLG,GGLG:2005-23,GGLG:en&sa=X&oi=froogle&ct=title

aicabsolut
10-04-2006, 04:24 PM
Based on the gyms I've been to and the research I've done (decided for now just to get a trainer for my road bike instead), here's my 2cents:

Johnny G spinners--the newest models with the infinite adjustments for the seat (height and forward/back) are the best. You might want to change out the saddle, though, because it's a bit wide IMO (they do make more ergonomic ones you can swap out). The handlebars aren't bad, and with the new seat arrangement, you get a better fit than the discrete peg style adjustments of the older models. They last pretty well, particularly if you spray them down with a mild cleaner (like SimpleGreen), and pull the handlebar and seat posts up all the way to dry off--sweat is corrosive.

Reebok bikes--resistance is a lever not a knob, and it wears out very easily. The resistance might start to "catch" at certain places, making it impossible to get a smooth pedal stroke. Also has poor seat adjustment issues as the old Spinners.

LeMond--my current gym doesn't have the newest ones, which I think have more comfortable aerobars, but I'm not impressed. The seats are horrible--very high in the tailbone area and slippery. Infinite adjustments, which is good. But very high angle upward of the handlebars--like old SportTrak spinners. Kind of awkward, not much like a road bike feel at all. Plus, I feel that it's easy to outspin the flywheel in a sprinting effort...like with some of the poor mag trainers. Not the best 'feel' IMO.

I'd buy a Spinner for sure. But there are obviously brands I haven't tried. I think you can get replacement parts pretty easily from them.

tygab
10-04-2006, 05:40 PM
since one trainer would mean my husband and I are constantly swapping bikes around (sounds like a hassle), or having two better quality ones would cost about the same as a dedicated bike we could both use at will.

I want to get a good one but do not want to spend a ton, but of course my tastes run to the fancy looking ones. The lemonds look like a good value, but I am still looking for other brands to see what's out there. Thanks, I will keep looking at these.

RoadRaven
10-05-2006, 11:45 AM
Well, we bought the Vega spin bike a few months ago for exactly that reason, tygab... with 5 of us wanting to use an indoor trainer it was just a nightmare with all the swapping on a trainer.

The spin bike gets used often, is quiet and because I can really practice my spinning on it... my average cadence on the road has lifted because of the specific spinning workouts I can do on the spin bike.

Its also fabulous after a tough ride when you just want to unwind your legs... my partner often uses it on Sunday mornings as he leaves the house at 7am for a bunch training ride that can go over 150kms, so he warms up for 15 mins or so, so that when he begins to warm up on the road his muscles are warmed up for warming up.