PDA

View Full Version : achilles tendon pain

tinkerbell
07-14-2003, 06:56 AM
Hi All,

I just got back from a 4 day ride--We went 97, 90, 92, and 50 miles--a lot of which were very hilly on day 2 and 3--anyway, my question lies in the fact that during day 2, 3, and 4 I started having some achilles tendon pain in my left foot. I've had tendonitis there before, about a year and 1/2 ago (although can't remember if it's the same foot-I'm assuming it is) which is why I've given up runining, but never had any pain while riding...Any ideas about where it might have come from? I have done a decent amount of riding this year to train for this ride, but mostly 35-60 mile range. This is the first time this year I've road over 60 miles...Any suggetions about what might be causing this would really be helpful, so that I can correct any technique issues before I ride long distances again and aggravate it even more! Right now I can barely walk :( Although I had a great ride for a great cause!!

LAM3
08-12-2003, 08:22 PM
I've had the same problem on a long ride. I was told that I may be pushing down with my feet on the pedals too much, instead of pulling up. I've since then payed more attention to that and havn't had a problem.

Dogmama
08-13-2003, 01:14 PM
I would look at your seat height. If you are pushing down with your entire foot, which you should, and your seat is too high, you might be stretching the tendon. I know there is a personal trainer on this board, maybe she will check in on this.

tinkerbell
08-13-2003, 01:20 PM
Thanks ladies for the discussion on this topic-- I've noticed that I tend to ride with my toe pointed towards the ground-- especially on the downstroke. Is this poor form? should my foot remain fairly flat throughout the rotation? I'm thinking maybe this is part of the problem?

karen_fish_bio
08-13-2003, 03:23 PM
Just a dumb question for you... on any of those rides did you happen to notice that your foot got a good case of the shakes at random...perhaps while screaming down a hill that was so great your foot just shook. While in awesome shape (both running and cycling) I did a road ride where I got a good case of the shakes on a down hill. I really didn't think a whole lot of it, it stopped at the bottom and was not at all a problem..just a shaky foot on a desent.....until my achilles swelled up so bad I could hardly walk for the rest of the week. Switching which foot is forward while decending will stop the shake if it comes back. Just thought I would share.
Karen

LAM3
08-13-2003, 03:45 PM
I catch myself riding with my toes pointed at times, too. Mostly when I'm tired. And, I guess it is poor form. You're right, feet should be flat throughout most of the rotation, and it's okay for your heel to be slightly lower than your toes also. Someone mentioned seat height, too. That's a good point. It makes all the difference.

karen_fish_bio
08-13-2003, 06:42 PM
My boy friend just told me (consider the source) that Lance Armstrong rides with his toes down too. Its probably a matter of doing what works for you...and obviously it works for him.