PDA

View Full Version : Headache! How much do you drink?

Morphine
03-16-2006, 11:58 PM
Its been demonstrated over and over again :( I dont thrive well post race, always ended up with throbbing headaches after each olympics distance event. Needless to say, its most likely a consequence of dehydration during the race. But how much & what do you folks consume ? Naturally, the biking leg will be the most ideal time to take in fluids, how do you then manage consistent speed with the constant drinking ? :eek:

Nanci
03-17-2006, 01:50 AM
Sounds like dehydration to me, too. You should read the article I posted in Nutrition about Too Much Water (since you're going to increase your intake) and then go to the ultramarathon cycling site, (Google UMCA) and look in the nutrition section, and find out how to do a sweat test, to know _exactly_ how much fluid you are losing in an hour, then you know exactly how much to replace. You have to do that to know an accurate amount, because everyone sweats at a different rate. Then there is a set amount of electrolytes to replace per liter of water you are taking in. If you are confused, you can e-mail the author of the articles about hydration, Lulu Weschler, she is _really_ nice and helpful and will personally advise you on your situation. If you can't get her e-mail off the site and want it, I will send it to you.

Nanci

Lise
03-17-2006, 04:27 AM
Great advice from Nanci.

I also realized that I was getting headaches because I didn't drink my usual coffee on the morning of a race. So now I make sure to get in one cup right when I get up, hours before the race.. I've peed it out by the time I'm racing, and I drink one bottle of water and about a bottle of electrolyte drink on the bike (Oly distance). My problem is needing to pee again between the bike and run! :rolleyes: But no more headaches.

Morphine
04-26-2006, 05:09 PM
Great advice from Nanci.

I also realized that I was getting headaches because I didn't drink my usual coffee on the morning of a race. So now I make sure to get in one cup right when I get up, hours before the race.. I've peed it out by the time I'm racing, and I drink one bottle of water and about a bottle of electrolyte drink on the bike (Oly distance). My problem is needing to pee again between the bike and run! :rolleyes: But no more headaches.

Hey! How true! I was on this "No caffeine on weekends" self-campaign but realised that I get spilting headache whenever after a whole morning of ride. So, for the past few weekends, I've down a 1/2 cuppa prior to the ride & keeping fingers crossed, so far so good :)

KSH
04-27-2006, 06:04 AM
Do not change how you eat and drink when you are racing. What does this mean? Here's an example... on a normal day, I wake up, eat a breakfast sandwhich and drink a 12 oz soda.

Why would I NOT do that on race day? Sure, taking in soda before a race is not very "healthy", but my body is use to it. If I change my routine... I won't be feeling "normal" through the race.

Do you eat the same on race day, that you do other days? Train like you race... race like you train.

Now, are you sure the headaches are from lack of fluids? I know I get a headache when I don't eat enough food. Might be something to research.

The headaches might also be from stress. Are you tense on race day, because of the excitement? Just a thought.

Oh, and if you have trouble keeping a consistent speed and drinking... get a cameback and wear that. You can drink easily and won't lose speed. That might help you get more fluids in as well.

I can say this though, it is so easy to FORGET to drink because you are so focused on the race.

triflor
06-15-2006, 08:18 PM
Also be careful of dehydration in Triathlon b/c often we over hydrate which messes up those electrolyte balances too. Yes you need to replace the water you lose through sweat, but if you drink too much you are diluting the salt in your body. The symptoms are similar to dehydration making it very tricky... you think you're dehydrated, drink more water, make the problem worse. Make sure that a good amount of your intake is sports drink. Drinking water alone is a sure fire way to get headaches.

Also watch out for the sun on race days. While at the venue pre/post race hang out in the shade. Sunscreen, light weight long sleeve shirts, hats, sunglasses... never underestimate how these things will benefit you! And stretch... the back and neck especially b/c we carry so much tension and race day stress there it constricts blood flow to the head.

Lise
06-16-2006, 04:39 AM
I agree about the sun. I got pretty sun-sick after my second Oly tri. It was a hot, sunny, clear day. Afterwards, at lunch, I started to feel hot, nauseous, clammy, and disoriented. I drank a lot of cold water, had someone drive me home, and spent the rest of the day soaking in a cool tub and sleeping. The next year I was prepared with better sunscreen and a hat with a brim all around, but it was cool and overcast. This year...hope to do better. I bought spray on sunscreen to douse myself with in both transitions. I'm fair skinned and burn very easily. I am sure that drinking more will help, too. I'm considering a fuel belt for the run. I'm a slow runner, and it would be good to drink more as I go than what I get at the water tables.

KSH
06-16-2006, 06:29 AM
Its been demonstrated over and over again :( I dont thrive well post race, always ended up with throbbing headaches after each olympics distance event. Needless to say, its most likely a consequence of dehydration during the race. But how much & what do you folks consume ? Naturally, the biking leg will be the most ideal time to take in fluids, how do you then manage consistent speed with the constant drinking ? :eek:

See, I always get a pounding headache in the BACK of my head when I DON'T EAT ENOUGH.

What is your nutrition like?

Sorry, I already replied once and now I can't delete this reply!

OOOPSSS!!!