PDA

View Full Version : Susan, Please Develop This!!!

Nanci
03-15-2006, 03:42 PM
A mosquito netting helmet cover!! EEW, I _hate_ riding at night, with all the creepy crawlies that get into my vents, and crawl around. I thought this up during my 400k ride.

Just an idea...I would buy one!

Nanci

DebW
03-15-2006, 06:01 PM
There are a number of such things made for hikers. Try REI. Guess the problem would be keeping it away from your face while you ride with the ever-present effective headwind. OR makes one with metal rings that might help. The other problem would be seeing. They really obscure your vision. Maybe it needs to be integrated with cycling glasses. How about a plastic bubble face shield like motorcyclist wear? Probably too hot and would fog. Gee Nanci, you come up with hard problems.

DebW
03-16-2006, 07:31 AM
Here's what you need. A lumberjack hardhat with face shield.

http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?storeId=6970&productId=200308127&R=200308127

I have one of these for chainsawing when I do trail maintenance. The shield is stiff - you can walk through brush dragging limbs and not have branches smack your face. The helmet has no chin strap and would be heavy for cycling. You'd want to integrate the face shield into a snap-on visor for a bike helmet. You can also get these face shields integrated with ear protectors but without the helmet.

Lifesgreat
03-16-2006, 07:56 AM
Netting would be great! Last year, DH and I were riding side by side on a road by Utah Lake and I rode into a HUGE mass of itty, bitty bugs. They ran me off the road! I coughed and sputtered for a while after that. DH was far enough away from the shoulder not to get them. He thought it was funny :mad:

Nanci
03-16-2006, 08:35 AM
I don't mind 'em so much when they go down my front, or when I eat them or breathe them in, it's when they're crawling around in my hair and I can't get to them that I go crazy!!!

Nanci

DebW
03-16-2006, 09:13 AM
If all you want is a mosquito net helmet cover, that would be easy. I'll make you one myself if I have enough noseeum fabric at home. Maybe you can buy a hairnet like elementary school cafeteria ladies wear or like women my mother's age sleep in to protect their bouffant hairdos. Try googling hairnet.

Deanna
03-16-2006, 09:50 AM
You might be able to find one of those helmet covers from back in the day when helmets were uncovered, hard white foam that you put a fabric cover over. I think I still have my old Salsa Bikes red lace panty helmet cover. It has lace down the middle that covers the vents and just plain stretchy fabric on the sides. If you're interested, I'll see if I can dig it up (though I just tried to declutter things and it may have gone out with the clutter).

CorsairMac
03-16-2006, 11:58 AM
........red lace panty helmet cover. It has lace down the middle that covers the vents and just plain stretchy fabric on the sides.

I think you should keep that for the Cinderella Ride! :p

Susan Otcenas
03-17-2006, 05:43 PM
Personally, I always thought it would be nice if helmets came with mesh over the vents on the inside. Keeps the bugs out AND prevents your hair from sticking out all over the place! But I think that would cut the cooling feature quite a lot, which is probably why no one (that I'm aware of) does it.

Susan

Dianyla
03-17-2006, 07:48 PM
I actually do something (for other reasons) that may help solve your bugs-in-hair problem. Can't help with the bugs in mouth thang, though! :eek:

So.... um.... I wear pantyhose on my head when I ride. Yes, pantyhose. :o

I put my braid down one leg of the hose, and then put the panty part on my head. The spare leg gets wrapped around the "ponytail" area. This keeps road grit out of my braid. The leg also shortens up my braid and keeps it from getting stuck in the rear brakes.

In wintertime I use heavier opaque tights, in summer I use more of the sheer light stuff.

/dianyla slinks off

Nanci
03-18-2006, 04:50 AM
I think I will investigate some sort of velcro-attached inner liner of no-see-um mesh that I will make myself. For a minute I was thinking a pouffy OR cap would go right over my helmet, and work, but then I remembered I would be out in public...

I sure love my helmet rain cover. I should have gotten one of those years ago. It's really good for just warmth, too- so you couldn't wear it for anti-bug use.

Nanci

Surlygirl
04-12-2006, 12:43 PM
A mosquito netting helmet cover!! EEW, I _hate_ riding at night, with all the creepy crawlies that get into my vents, and crawl around. I thought this up during my 400k ride.

Nanci

Looks like Rudyproject beat you guys to it. I just saw these in Her Sports Magazine. The Rudy Project Kontact Helmet has a "removable, washable bug net guards against intruders". Might be worth looking into. Of course the helmet isn't cheap at $110.00 big ones. www.rudyprojectusa.com

kerrybelle
04-25-2006, 09:05 AM
I came across this helmet in Heath Magazine. Apparently, they are starting to think along the same lines. The mesh is only in the front of the helmet, though and probably wouldn't help much with mosquitos.

http://www.uvexsports.com/ProductInfo.aspx?productid=C410755_57_

Kerry

Nanci
04-25-2006, 09:39 AM
I think you'd only need it in the front. Cool idea. I wish you could buy some sort that velcroed in. I bet I could make it if I had any ambition at all...

Nanci

DirtDiva
04-25-2006, 10:09 AM
Hmmm. My Giro Indicator (relatively inexpensive, 2005 model) has mesh over the front three vents, but from the look of it, this year's model doesn't. Go figure.

massbikebabe
04-25-2006, 02:32 PM
I don't know what the real name of it is...

but I wear a "doo-rag" when I know I am going to be in bug country.

karen

Dianyla
04-25-2006, 02:36 PM
I don't know what the real name of it is...

but I wear a "doo-rag" when I know I am going to be in bug country.
That is the real name of it. Also sometimes spelled 'durag'. :)

matagi
04-25-2006, 09:25 PM

Nanci

They already exist, at least down here in Australia :o There are several different brands available through camping stores. I would guess there would be something similar in the US.

crazycanuck
04-26-2006, 04:43 AM
Hey there,

Matagi i'm not sure what you use but i find buff ok. Dunno how popular they are overseas but they're fine until it gets to 25c+..then i overheat. They do keep the bugs out of my mouth though!

Nothing like a bug snack on the way home from a nice bike ride...

c

matagi
04-26-2006, 04:49 AM
Crazycanuck, I saw them in Paddy Pallin about a month ago, there were a couple of different brands, but I can't remember any of the names. I was basically just scouting out insect protection for the Great Victorian Bike Ride at the end of this year.

crazycanuck
04-26-2006, 05:12 AM
Hey m

Paddy p's is the only place i know of in aust that sells them....a wee bit pricey though!

c