PDA

View Full Version : food log

crazycanuck
03-15-2006, 03:31 AM
Hey,

A while back, our coach had a sports nutritionist come in and speak to us about labels etc. The nutritionist suggested taking note of the foods we ate but never thought much of it until last week.

I just started this week writing down every food i eat, how many calories in each plus the amount of exercise i do each day. I found the food & exercise diary at a local bookshop and find it an interesting yet scary experience.

I noticed on monday my calorie total was 1215 for the day but if i subtracted the calories for the excercise i did, i only took in 585. Does that sound right?? I'm a bit lost & am wondering if i'm doing something wrong.

I bought a scale last week but my aim is to weigh myself only once a week just to remind myself the numbers on the scale are just that...numbers...

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks
Cheryl

Barb
03-15-2006, 05:58 AM
I suppose that is possible. Are you sure of the cals you burned? Maybe I am a light weight (ok I know that I am!) but I don't burn that many calories in during my average work out. I have been logging what I eat and exercise while working with a nutrionalist and exercise physiologist. We figured out my Basil Metabolic Rate and the additional calories I would need if I exercised X amount during the week. It was really interesting and helpful. She did warn me not do eliminate more than 500 calories in any one day. You need 3500 cal deficit to loose 1 lb. ( I aim for that every week).

DeniseGoldberg
03-15-2006, 06:01 AM
My sense is that you're not taking in enough calories for your level of exercise. I have two sports nutrition books that I really like, both written by registered dieticians. They are down to earth books, may be worth a look: Eat Smart, Play Hard : Customized Food Plans for All Your Sports and Fitness Pursuits by Liz Applegate, and Nancy Clark's Sports Nutrition Guidebook by Nancy Clark. Both are available at Amazon.com.

I just did a quick search on the web and found a "healthy body calculator" that seems pretty reasonable. It's on the site Ask the Dietician (http://www.dietitian.com), which is also authored by a registered dietician. The calculator is at http://www.dietitian.com/ibw/ibw.html

Just out of curiosity, I ran through the calculator a couple of times. With what I would consider a normal work day - which includes 1 to 2 hours of moderate exercise, I came up with a caloric requirement of 2230. I suspect serious cycling falls somewhere between moderate and heavy exercise. If I put in 4 hours of moderate exercise, my calorie needs come out to 2610, and if I put in 4 hours of heavy exercise my calorie needs show as 3040. So likely somewhere between 2610 and 3040. But even my average daily rate, assuming my sedentary work (I sit at a computer all day...) and an hour or 2 of exercise comes out to a lot more than the 1200+ calories that you say you are eating. (Even with no exercise I still came out to need 1800 calories. Oh, and of course height & weight plays in here too - I'm around 5 ft 5 inches and weigh about 115 pounds.)

--- Denise

tattiefritter
03-15-2006, 06:17 AM
That sounds very, very low to me unless you are a really tiny person! I struggle on less than 1800 - 2000 cals a day, more if I exercise hard! I'm around 5ft 5 and 140 pounds but I have always struggled with keeping my blood sugar on an even keel and need to eat quite regularly. Where are you getting the calorie counts from?

I have also just re-started taking note of everything I eat again as I have put on a few pounds lately. I use fitday (www.fitday.com) which is a free online tool. I like it because it gives you the breakdown of your carbs/fat/protein for the day as well as overall calories, I tend to eat a diet too high in carbs at the expense of protein and fat and this helps me balance things a bit. I used it a lot last year and looking through my entries for then it seems that 2000 cals was generally the magic number for me to train reasonably well and still lose weight (except for my long Sunday MTB ride, I ate as much as I wanted then).

There is a BMR (Basal Metabolic Rate) calculator on the concept2 (http://www.concept2.co.uk/training/bmr.php) website that gives you an idea of the amount of calories you need daily. It uses your sex/age/weight as a base then you add on your activity level, my calculation came to 2700 a day.

Dianyla
03-15-2006, 10:34 AM
That definitely doesn't sound like enough calories. Either you're not eating enough, or you're not calculating portion sizes properly. The thing that always gets me is when I eat/drink a small container of something and then look at the nutrition label and see "150 calories" and think OK, that's 150. Oh, wait! it's 2.5 servings per container! :eek:

I use http://www.calorieking.com for calorie and exercise tracking. It's not free like fitday, but it's fairly economical (something like $30/year) and the improved database and user interface is worth it to me.

Nanci
03-15-2006, 11:10 AM
I use the Calorie King software on my Palm. I love it! I had a problem Saturday, though, making it believe I could ride a bike for 16 hours, burning 10,000-some calories. It counts them, but just says ERR. I took in about 4000.

Cheryl,

I'm suspicious of your calorie count. I _struggle_ and have to watch _everything_ and weigh/measure everything and have absolutely no treats to hit 1300. But I think the amount burned for cycling, 600? is perfectly reaasonable. That's roughly an hour at 14mph.

Nanci

Dianyla
03-15-2006, 11:33 AM
I use the Calorie King software on my Palm. I love it! I had a problem Saturday, though, making it believe I could ride a bike for 16 hours, burning 10,000-some calories. It counts them, but just says ERR. I took in about 4000.
Goodness, I can't say I've ever had that problem! :eek: I use the web version because I don't have a handheld and that way I can access it from any internet connection and update it. Could you maybe just enter in two 5,000 calorie events? Or is it a daily max total that you're hitting.

Boy, I'd love to see what the staff there think of that bug report. :rolleyes:

crazycanuck
03-15-2006, 01:39 PM
I think i'm going to ingest what you ladies have said & go back to square one..
I have nanci clark's book & will sit down & re read it....

Will let you know more a bit later..

Thanks
C

RedCanny
03-16-2006, 06:14 AM
Good luck! As I've been trying to lose a total of 20 lbs over several months, this calorie counting business has been a real eye-opener; I'm still trying to figure out what is a good deficit for actual weight loss for me. 500/day may indeed be a magic number: there have been weeks were I had too much of a deficit, and lo and behold, I plateau'ed, if not gained a few back.

One question I have for the CalorieKing users... have you compared it much to FitDay (I use that one)? I'm curious to know if it seems more accurate with foods or activity calorie counts, if it is easier or more fun to use, or ...?

han-grrl
03-16-2006, 06:29 AM
MOST people who exercise don't eat enough to support their exercise habits...

for weight loss, you dont' want the difference between calories out/in to be too huge, other wise your body won't want to give up what it has since it thinks the body is under some weird stress.

when you start keeping track of your eating habits, you start to realize how FEW calories certain things have (like salads)...

RedCanny
03-16-2006, 07:25 AM
when you start keeping track of your eating habits, you start to realize how FEW calories certain things have (like salads)...

Yes! Last night I was scrambling to find another 400 calories. It was hard, esp. as I would've been better off eating them earlier in the day.

Dianyla
03-16-2006, 10:10 AM
One question I have for the CalorieKing users... have you compared it much to FitDay (I use that one)? I'm curious to know if it seems more accurate with foods or activity calorie counts, if it is easier or more fun to use, or ...?
Well, I may not be the best example but I tried to use FitDay for about... 2 days! Got sick of it and went back to CK. I had already been using the free database on Calorie King to look up data for my own manual calorie tracking for years. You can look things up for free, and I found the contents of their database to be more complete and up to date. At the time when I tried it (~1 year ago) FitDay seemed to have mostly generic food items. CalorieKing has generic items but it also has a wide range of packaged store-bought foods as well as restaurant and fast-food stuff.

I use the web version, btw.

Nanci
03-16-2006, 10:43 AM
Hey, you're from my home town!! Born in St. Paul, raised in Roseville, lived in St. Paul, Maplewood and Stillwater until I bailed out to Florida when I was 39...

I am not familiar with FitDay. I have used Calorie King Diet Diary since last July. What I like about it is it has a good database- lots of restaurants, pretty much every type of food I eat, plus the ability to save my own foods if they are not in the database, plus the ability to save groups of foods I commonly eat, for example, bun, turkey burger, slice of swiss cheese. I keep it on my Palm (there is a desktop version, too) so I have it with me everywhere. I have not missed counting a single day, meal, snack, exercise since I started in July- so it must be easy to use and semi-entertaining/not annoying.

Since July I have lost about 30#, going by the recommended amount of calories suggested by Diet Diary, based on height/weight and activity level, and whether I wanted to gain, lose or stay the same. To help it along, I round down the recommended amount. If I do a short ride, I don't replace those calories, but on longer rides I replace about a quarter to half of what I burn.

Works for me!

But, works much better with daily cycling, not weekends only.

Nanci

RedCanny
03-16-2006, 01:40 PM
Well then, I may give CK a try; there appears to be a free 7-day trial anyway. Thanks for the input!

I've had pretty good luck with Fitday- most of the stuff I eat is in there, and what isn't, I just add myself as a custom food, as most of the power-bars I eat have labels, and most of the cooking I do at home is from Cooking Light magazine, which offers nutritional data on all recipes. However, I have noticed that FitDay's estimation of calories burned in various activities, is quite different from what I read in different sources (or is not there at all. Snowboarding cal/hour, anyone?).

Cheers, and happy trails, all!

39 years in St. Paul, eh Nanci? I hope to move back out to the NW sometime with hubby, but I've been here almost 20 years, now! MN is a great place to live (I love snow).

Nanci
03-16-2006, 02:04 PM
Well, Diet Diary just has skating, skiing or snowshoeing. I think, though, if you can find the calories burned for your activity _anywhere_, you can then make a custom exercise with that rate.

Who knows how accurate any of that is, anyway. That's why I err on the side of eating less, and not adding in more calories for what I burn.

Give yourself another 20 years and see how much fun snow really is!!

Nanci

Robbin_G
03-23-2006, 06:02 AM
Oh, and of course height & weight plays in here too - I'm around 5 ft 5 inches and weigh about 115 pounds.)

--- Denise

*sniffle* I'm 5'5" and well, don't weigh 115 pounds. I struggle with wanting to be Turbo Athlete and eating because because food makes me happy! No really, it does. I'm interested in being a part-time food writer! I'm also looking into some other kind of "exercise as work", maybe a spin instructor!

+Robbin

Asphaltgirl
03-23-2006, 08:46 AM
Another vote for CalorieKing....been using it for a few years after dropping my online membership with Weight Watchers. Trying to get off a 6 month plateau and have an appointment with a nutritianist tomorrow. She's a cyclist and hopefully will be able to relate to my needs for weight loss and for the energy needed for the long distance cycling goals that I have. Was on a carb restricted program (almost a diabetic type diet), last year, and it was great--eating every 3 hours so my blood sugar didn't crash-- dropped 20 lbs. BUT once I got into my summer cycling I had no energy to draw on because of the limited carbs. I think my biggest problem is finding the right combination of protein/fats/carb to keep this middle aged body happy!:rolleyes:
~AG~

Gidiup
03-25-2006, 06:39 AM
Another good website is mypyramid.gov It allows you to keep a food log, activity log and will tell you what nutrients you are short on. The more well balanced your meals are the less cravings you have. Stick with serving sizes.

Robbin_G
03-25-2006, 01:59 PM
I like this book/log:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0963796836/102-9835597-4505767?%5Fencoding=UTF8&v=glance&n=283155

sydney_b
03-27-2006, 06:39 AM
I track with MyFoodDiary.com. It's 9.99/mo., but seems to work pretty well with a large food database. It also makes it easy to enter your own recipes. I didn't compare it with other online programs, though, so Fitday or Calorieking might be just as good or even better, they're certainly less expensive. The only thing I would complain about is that it seems like it over-estimates the calories burned sometimes.

/s

trigurl
03-30-2006, 06:15 AM
Is it possible to burn 4000 calories a day???? I wore my h/r monitor for 15 hours yesterday:o and that is what it said! 600-700 were from 1 hour of mtn biking.
I don't know about all those calories it said I burned???? that was at work where I mainly sit, I do move about and go up and down stairs but for the most part I sit.

I put in all my info, age, weight, sex - surely it must be wrong?

I have been following a low cal diet my trainer told me to do with low carbs and have been tired tired tired, I have lost about 8 lbs. in almost 3 weeks but I HAVe to add in some carbs now since the weather is getting better and I can BIKE:D

I have been trying to stick to 1300-1500 cals a day and I stay hungry! last night I broke and ate a big bowl of green beans and quite a few walnuts after dinner! not bad but must have added up to a lot of cals - especially with the walnuts! I just want to be slim and not hungry allllll the time - and I really hate counting calories:mad:

Sorry this is kinda rambling.

carback
03-30-2006, 03:47 PM
I have been trying to stick to 1300-1500 cals a day and I stay hungry! last night I broke and ate a big bowl of green beans and quite a few walnuts after dinner!

No bloody wonder you're hungry. 1300-1500 cals a day is fine if your idea of exercise is to be really agressive with the remote. But to be active? No way. Someone a few posts back mentioned resting metabolic rate - that is the minimum your body requires just to keep your body in a homestatic state. Throw biking (or walking, or any activity) into the mix, and you're going to need more calories to find the energy.

And don't get me started on the low carb thing....Carbs are good. Especially if you're active. The right kinds of cards are where your energy stores come from.

RedCanny
04-05-2006, 06:53 AM
Ok, so I've signed up with Calorie King. It tells me that I should only have 1300 calories per day, given that I want to lose just 4 lbs. This does not bode well for my trust in this product... can any of you provide any insight? Every other source I've used has advised 2000/day for me, to lose weight... and for the most part that has worked. ???

Dianyla
04-05-2006, 08:56 AM
Ok, so I've signed up with Calorie King. It tells me that I should only have 1300 calories per day, given that I want to lose just 4 lbs. This does not bode well for my trust in this product... can any of you provide any insight? Every other source I've used has advised 2000/day for me, to lose weight... and for the most part that has worked. ???
Is that 1300 net calories (e.g. eat 2000 but burn 700 with exercise)? Do you know what your daily "sit around and do nothing maintaining weight" caloric needs are? It depends on your body weight and default activity level. For example, I weigh 155 lbs and am an office worker and I maintain weight on 1500 calories a day. To lose weight I have to drop lower. However, I also have to eat enough to fuel any exercise that I do. So if I want to maintain, and I go on a ride one day that burns ~700 calories, I eat 2200 that day.

Also, you can go into your profile and override CK's default "suggestions" and enter your own preferences with regards to daily caloric intake, ratio of protein/carbs/fat, etc.

RedCanny
04-05-2006, 12:10 PM
Yeah, I think it is net calories. 1300 just seems ridiculously low, for me. On days when I have accidentally dipped below 1700 (gross), I tended to gain a pound or two. (body was going into starvation mode, probably...)

Perhaps I just need to work on my math. :eek:

This is probably just part of my adjustment from FitDay, which does things a little differently. For the most part, I am finding Calorie King to be much more user-friendly. Thanks, all, for the help & suggestions!

I will be back on outdoor bike soon, yay! The icebergs out there are melting.

awm03
05-06-2006, 05:51 PM
DietPower ($50) is also terrific for tracking calories. It's simple to use, customizable, and can even break down recipes to figure out calories per serving. It's geared toward people trying to lose weight (I've lost 27 pounds), but is excellent for weight maintenance too.