PDA

View Full Version : Winter weight gain / spring shed cycle

CyclaSutra
03-13-2006, 08:01 PM
Is anybody else feeling the weight of winter on their thighs/belly? WARNING: Low self-esteem day... :(

I'm a chunky punky monkey, 5'4 and size 14 (currently 184.5 with ginormous muscle content (30 percent BF?), thank you very much)

I always gain 10-15 pounds in the winter, it seems. :mad: Two years ago, my excuse was mononucleosis in September and a pity party of wine and Ben & Jerry's. Last year? I dropped out of my first attempt at a hilly double century (LOTOJA) because of sleet and snow. Self-pity strikes again.... but I've been in a cycling pre-season class at the bike shop, and I'm back down to within 8.5 pounds of my summer low.

Problem number 1: My summer low weight last year wasn't LOW ENOUGH to be very fast. I needed perfect conditions to attain 14-15 mph on the hilly course and finish before dark. Perfect conditions I did not have. And I know it's all about the journey and not the event, la la la, and 206 miles is a hella accomplishment, la la la, but this year I decided to get a "team" to support me and draft with, etc.

Problem number 2: I've drafted/recruited three FAST GIRLS :eek: to be on my teamn (sizes 6, 8, 10, perhaps?). Now I'm worried that I won't be able to keep up with them. I think I need to lose down to my summer low in the next two months and then get down quite a bit more after that just to hang. I know my muscle mass is important, but my weight is a liability on the hills.

I've hired a coach again (he helped me for three months last summer) and I really trust him to help me with the actual type and quantity of miles I need, but I need ideas and support for my mental state (hello, he's a dude, not good at that stuff :rolleyes: ) ...

I tried the no/flour no sugar thing for a couple weeks, but that was really hard and it's not workable for actively training. I think I just need to focus on making good food choices, upping my fruits and veggies, etc.

Because I don't ride with other girls much, could anyone give me an idea of whether it's possible for a ballast-challenged girl to hang with these Amazon gals?

Veronica
03-14-2006, 03:58 AM
I lost 30 pounds five years ago and have kept it off mostly. I went from 180 to 150 (size 10, sometimes an 8). My weight has gone up and down 10 pounds over the five years if I wasn't being very active. Right now, it's going down. :) And I'm hoping I'll drop below 150, before April 29.

I don't diet, I just stopped eating a lot of junk. I only eat what I bring to work. I seldom have soda. I eat fully fatted things - just not a lot. And I ride a lot. But I can not climb as fast as my lighter friends. Climbing really is about power to weight.

V.

jobob
03-14-2006, 04:38 AM
You may not think you've lost much weight (or perhaps you have?) but you're looking very trim these days V. LeeBob and I were remarking on that after we saw you at the bike show. :)

jjcac1
03-14-2006, 05:23 AM
I too am trying to loose the extra weight so I can complete my ride in a decent amount of time & am not fit enough right now to be able to keep up with the ladies ride that I want to join. I am currently 5’9, 192#, a size 16/18.

For me I am doing Weight Watchers Core, which is primarily lean meat, veggies, fruit, FF dairy and some whole grains (brown rice, whole wheat pastas… limited to once a day). For me the best thing about this plan is that it is whole unprocessed foods and I feel so much better not getting all the preservatives, colorings, etc. I also like that I am not starving or depriving myself. I would recommend checking it online if you are interested or going to a meeting.

It can be very depressing and slow. I want the weight off NOW! Not 3-6 months from now. I want the endurance and ability NOW too. It has been a challenge for me to go at this slowly, but in my head I know that is the healthiest way. I have found the WW meetings have helped a lot as well as my family getting on board with the plan. They eat the same foods I do and we are all learning together to be healthier.

Veronica
03-14-2006, 05:32 AM
You may not think you've lost much weight (or perhaps you have?) but you're looking very trim these days V. LeeBob and I were remarking on that after we saw you at the bike show. :)

Thanks - I've lost 5 pounds since Christmas - when the training program began. I'm pretty sure I've added muscle to my legs too. It probably helped that I was wearing my skinny jeans (size 8!).

V.

gr8lakesgurl
03-14-2006, 07:25 AM
I hate it too...it seems like even if I do a lot of indoor stuff I still gain some over the winter.
I recently lost 50 pounds, I did the cheerio thing, ate cheerios for breakfast and lunch and then a good dinner. But then I found out that I was gluten intolerant so I can't have them anymore :(
AND I stopped drinking pop...I would only drink diet...but I hate it so now I don't have any.

maillotpois
03-14-2006, 08:14 AM
I am on the larger side of the bike rider/racer spectrum (5'9", 170, size 10), and I can assure you that it is possible for you to stay with (or drop) those skinny chicks you recruited! For a double, the key for me is a sustained endurance pace - and I don't think size (within reason) is a disadvantage there either. You're pretty darned close to your summer weight right now, even if you think that was not enough.

When is your double?

I am also trying to get a few more pounds off. I am at my last year summer weight right now, and working it slowly down. I am a Weight watchers lifetime member from whem I lost 60 lbs. with them about 20 years ago in college (yikes I am old!). After having a kid and dealing with a thyroid auto immune disorder, it makes the weight a challenge.

Hang in there - you can do it!

maillotpois
03-14-2006, 08:25 AM
Thinking more about it - the goal in a double is not for the team to be going fast enough so one or more get dropped. The goal is working together. So your training ride should be focussing on this, right?

CyclaSutra
03-14-2006, 08:46 AM
True, but I've never ridden with these girls before and I don't want our first ride together to be one of those "OMG, she is so slow, we'll never finish the race!" I just hope they will see that I am a work in progress!

The double is Sept. 9, almost six months away. It's pretty hilly, and I agree with the strength/weight ratio thing.

Endurance is not as much of a problem. I can definitely out-endure these girls right now... I've had training rides last summer of 10+ hours in the saddle, and I just rode the Zion century in 7 hours and change two weeks ago. It's just a matter of getting my weight down so my average speed goes up.

MaillotP, your physique sounds perfect! I am in kick-a$$ shape at 150, size 8-10, but that's 35 pounds away and sounds so far... I also just finally got my thyroid adjusted correctly (crossing fingers) this winter, so that should help.

I'll be biking to work as soon as the snow melts a bit and it gets above 20 degrees. I've biked twice this winter at 5 degrees, and it's a bit nipply.

I _may_ try the Weight Watchers thing. I just HATE the sound of the word "diet" and the "let go and let God" attitude of OA (never been, just generalizing). I tend to use the phrase "training program."

"nope, no dessert for me, I'm on a training program."

Semantics, I know. Thanks for the support!

maillotpois
03-14-2006, 09:45 AM
6 months should give you a good start on your team training. What's the background of these other women? You can be the "Endurance Sage."

You know, the whole WW thing (or any "diet") just needs to be looked at as not a diet and not restrictive. I know that I can ride enough to have a glass of wine (or 3), and still lose weight. I also believe in that whole 10% idea - if you are very nutritious and wise in your choices 90% of the time, you can relax 10% of the time. Moderation is key.

What's your thyroid issue? Mine developed after I had my daughter. I just assumed that since I had a baby and was working full time that I was supposed to be exhausted and miserable all the time. Nope. Turned out I got Hashimoto thyroid disease (not uncommon after childbirth/breastfeeding when immune system is on hyperdrive). I'm on a good dose now, but I totally notice when I gain weight that the dose is less effective - more tired, etc. And then when I lose, energy is up, etc. I know some of that has to do with the effects of weight itself, but also the thyroid is dosed based on body weight, so that affects how the meds work.

CyclaSutra
03-14-2006, 10:01 AM
MP-

a cursory Internet search seems to say that hypoactive (me) and hashimoto's (you) is sort of the same thing... underactive thyroid. It's the same problem/solution but maybe not the same cause? I don't know if my body is attacking my thyroid, but I do know that it's not secreting enough and I have to take thyroid hormone to supplement it. Was on Levothroid, but my new integrative medicine doc switched me to the Armour version and increased the dose.

My cholesterol was really high :eek: because my thyroid was off, but now it's dropping fast, yay!

I think the 90-10 rule (or even 80-20? :p ) is a great idea. I loves me a glass of wine or three, as well, although I cut that out completely last May-Sept in the name of training. Moderation is _so_ hard for me. I know it's the way to go, but I lean toward excess in many things, and sugar/alcohol/baked goods are so tempting! I know that when I'm riding 200 miles a week or more, I can afford that, but I'm trying to cut way back to drop the weight this spring. Sigh.

SadieKate
03-14-2006, 10:04 AM
For me to loose weight, I absolutely have to log each and every calorie and look at the sugar/fat percentages. I get on the scale every couple of days, not to obsess but if I don't I can put on a couple pounds that take forever to takeoff. Some people recommend against this but it works better for me. Logging also helps you learn portion sizes.

I don't have stuff around for snacking (Ok, I try but with WrenchBoy around it's almost impossible). Complex carbs as much as possible. Simple carbs only on the day before and the days of long rides when I'm trying to loose weight.

Learning little things like cut oats are more "complex" than rolled oats and instant oatmeal is like a simple carb. Sweet potatoes rather than white potatoes. Whole fruit, not juice. These little things help.

The South Beach Diet really taught me a lot. Mostly to eat the way our grandparents ate before all this processed crap took over the grocery. Essentially, high fiber, low fat and low sugar.

BTW, that 90/10 rule of maillotpois sounds much like my eating style. Big old plate of green beans, small chicken breat and then, woohoo, the chocolate.

CyclaSutra
03-14-2006, 10:06 AM
6 months should give you a good start on your team training. What's the background of these other women? You can be the "Endurance Sage."

One was a high school track star (5-11?, 155?) who is now a distance running addict and casual mtn biker but is buying her first road bike. Age 30.

One is a 26-year-old former college team cyclist (road and mtn) and nordic skier, also 5-11ish, 145?.

The third is ONLY 5-8, but rail-thin (130?) and can hammer, road and mtn.

Then there's me, 5-4, large bones and large ballast. Bought road bike a year ago and working on wearing it out. :) Got new double-susp mtn bike that I won't be able to really ride for two or three months when the trails wear out.

maillotpois
03-14-2006, 10:20 AM
MP-

a cursory Internet search seems to say that hypoactive (me) and hashimoto's (you) is sort of the same thing... underactive thyroid.

Right - both are under active. Mine's just my body being mad at itself. (Prone to self-loathing... ?)

maillotpois
03-14-2006, 10:21 AM
Big old plate of green beans, small chicken breat and then, woohoo, the chocolate.

Right on! Now you are making me hungry....

I agree with the whole logging thing. Being aware is the key. And the complex carbs, etc.

When's lunch?

jjcac1
03-14-2006, 10:27 AM
I love the 10% idea.. it is true that moderation is key. For me I can't deny myself of the things I love and be successful long term. The 10% rule is a positive way to think of things, so as to not get down on yourself for being "perfect" or such.

maillotpois
03-14-2006, 12:27 PM
I love the 10% idea..

When I was first typing that in my initial reply, I typed 10% nutritious, etc. foods and 90% more relaxed! Freudian slip!

yellow
03-15-2006, 12:06 PM
I don't have stuff around for snacking (Ok, I try but with WrenchBoy around it's almost impossible).
Ummmm...I beg to differ on the not-having-stuff-around-for-snacking. Yes, it may be WrenchBoy's fault, but there are a lot of VERY DANGEROUS THINGS in your kitchen!

On topic, I usually have a reverse cycle...lose weight in the winter, gain it back in the spring/summer. When the pants get tight, I focus on cutting portion sizes (my trick: dish up your meal, then take half of it away...works especially well in restaurants) and that will usually do the trick as long as I'm exercising.

SadieKate
03-15-2006, 12:19 PM
Ummmm...I beg to differ on the not-having-stuff-around-for-snacking. Yes, it may be WrenchBoy's fault, but there are a lot of VERY DANGEROUS THINGS in your kitchen!But I'm not working on loosing weight right now. When I get serious, all that stuff is banished or hidden by WrenchBoy. Once in a while he knows that an order is an order.

Not to mention, it is Girl Scout cookie time and I bought other stuff that was supposed to be our Solvang Century snack supply.:(

mtbdarby
03-16-2006, 01:26 PM
Sarah & Cycla,
I'm just the opposite. Since having a baby I went hyper - Graves disease. I'm on meds, weaning off actually! I don't have any energy these days either but I put on 12 pounds this winter and I can not get it off. It seems the more I watch my calories, cut out fat and junk, I gain weight. I don't get it. I see a new endo April 17th (I don't like endos!). So I figure the best I can do is eat well and keep riding.

maillotpois
03-16-2006, 02:38 PM
Darby - isn't Graves also an auto-immune thing (but the opposite effect of what I've got)? I think the whole childbirth thing tends to lead to these auto-immune issues.

Sorry you're struggling. :( I agree - regardless of what end you're on (hypo or hyper), having a thyroid thing presents an unneeded extra challenge to the whole weight issue.

Lise
03-17-2006, 04:42 AM
On the sweet/white potato thing: I've discovered a new snack trick for myself. I buy these Sweet Potat-oh!s. They come shrink-wrapped in plastic, and you throw them in the microwave for 7 minutes. It's a great snack with a little fat and salt thrown on, and keeps me out of the Girl Scout cookies.

I also buy bags of sugar snap peas +/- baby carrots, and nosh on those. Fills me up, and keeps me out of whatever else I might grab at the moment. I do not tolerate being hungry very well, and I will eat the wrong stuff if I don't have the right stuff on hand.