PDA

View Full Version : new to multisport--where to start?

bluedress
03-13-2006, 12:00 PM
Hi! I am new to multisport races. I have a good base of fitness and lots of motivation but am not sure where to go from here, how to hammer out a training schedule, etc. I try to read about things and eventually get overwhelmed. I strength train. Cycling base is good. Running should come easy. Have not swam in years—am considering sticking with duathlons this year and working swimming in next off-season for next year—but am not decided. How do I put it all together in some useful sort of way? Ideally the “planning” will be the easy part so I can put the effort in the training. Help?

Want to avoid going mental on this.:confused:
--Marca

Lise
03-13-2006, 08:04 PM
Hi, Marcia, sounds like you already have a good start. I found Eric Harr's book, [U]Triathlon Training in Four Hours a Week[U] to be really, really helpful. It's got training programs for everybody from beginners to accomplished athletes.

The swim portion is the shortest part of any triathlon, so if you can get in some swim practice, you'll probably be good to go by summer, esp. if you start with sprints, which I really recommend.

I'm glad to see that you introduced yourself over on the "Getting to know you" thread --I'm going to go get to know you now!

take care,

Lise

bluedress
03-13-2006, 08:39 PM
Thanks, Lise! The encouragement to push past the fear of the swim is very helpful. (I just might do it.) I will look up that book.

I found the "getting to know you" thread and posted my introduction this evening. :)

Grog
03-13-2006, 08:41 PM
Hi Marca and welcome to TE!

I have just done my first triathlon (and I'm now hooked) and I myself have a hard time fitting the training in my schedule. On the other hand, I just started swimming in November (never really new how to swim with my head in the water before) and, with some hard work, I finished with a mid-pack time (of the female group) for the swim portion of my first triathlon, which to me was an amazing accomplishment. So there's hope. Unless you care deeply about your times, you should consider going for the triathlon (sprint distance) already.

Regarding the schedule... I try to swim 2-3 times a week in the early mornings, depending on my meeting schedule (which also tends to use the mornings up). I cycle about 5 hours a week on average, sometimes more, consisting of two short rides during the week (second half of the day) and a long club ride or sometimes two during the weekend. I run when I can, when it rains so much that I don't want to go on the bike, etc., rarely more than 3 times a week, about 30 min to an hour each time. I have yet to run for longer than an hour, but I feel it coming, I'm starting to enjoy this.

I realize that's a lot of workouts. I have the chance to be a student, and don't have kids, so my schedule is really flexible.

Maybe you should visit http://www.beginnertriathlon.com/ I think there's training schedules available for your perusal there...

Enjoy!!!

Lise
03-14-2006, 03:29 AM
Yeah, like she said! I forget about the internet (she said, typing on an internet discussion board...), but BT looks like a good site. And sorry for getting your name wrong initially, Marca. With a name like "Lise", you know that happens to me all the time, too!

Take care and keep us posted-- Lise

Running Mommy
03-14-2006, 09:22 AM
Welcome Marca!
First please forgive me if this doesn't make sense.. I'm a bit ill at the moment so things are foggy..:p
My first piece of advice would be to get to the pool and start swimming. When I started I sort of knew how to swim freestyle, but had no formal training. I signed up for an adult swim lesson at the YMCA. I told the instructor straight off what I was doing so she geared my lessons towards that end. The hardest thing for me was getting what I call my "water lungs". I could run a marathon, ride my bike for hours, but I couldn't swim more than a length of the pool without stopping to catch my breath. But I kept at it and after about two weeks it just kind of came to me. I can't explain how? It just did. And once it did I could swim until my arms gave out. Strange but true..
As for my training schedule it started and has always been like this:
3 swims, 3 rides, 3 runs a week with at least one bike/run brick.
I usually do the brick on the weekend when i had more time. For a sprint I would do a 25-30 mile ride followed by a 6 mile run. That is overkill though for a sprint as that is more olympic distance. A sprint is generally a 12-15 mile ride and a 3 mile run. So don't fret if you don't go over distnace in training. It's more mental for me.
I am REALLY BAD about stretching, yoga, or strength training, but I do try to fit some yoga stretches in at night while I'm watching tv and relaxing. I also try to pull out the weights and do that while I'm watching the news and dinner is cooking- but that is multi tasking to the core! And usually, to be honest, I'm not that disciplined! So 3 of each sport plus a brick are the main workouts.
Also don't forget to watch your diet and be sure you are getting in enough nutrients. Alot of women triathletes find that they need to supplement magnesium, potassium, and iron. You may want to have your doctor do a blood work up just to make sure. I did and was amazed how low I was in certain key nutrients. Eat thy fruits, vegees, and lean protein and you should be fine. I also try to eat as much food in it's "whole, unaltered" state as possible.
Well, hope this helps. Good luck with your training and feel free to email me or PM me if you have any questions.
Denise

bluedress
03-16-2006, 04:25 PM
OK. This week I introduced both running and swimming--mini sessions of each to ease into things.

*1 mile run--was no problem but shins are quite tight now (my physical therapist recommended a stretch for this).

*500m swim--was doable once I warmed up a bit--by the halfway point I managed to breath (usu.) every 1.5 strokes and did not need to stand at end of the lane so long after each lap trying to catch my breath.

I can do this. :)

btchance
03-16-2006, 05:01 PM
You definately can do this. When I first started swimming I literally struggled to make it 25 yards (I always swam against the wall so I could hold onto something if needed) One day it just clicked and I didn't need to stop every lap anymore. Just keep at it and good luck!!

Running Mommy
03-16-2006, 06:11 PM
YES YOU SURE CAN! In fact you ARE!! And don't worry about the run. If it's easier to run/walk, then do that. But yes, do stretch, and if something is bothering you- ice after every run. There is no shame in walking the run portion of the tri!
YEAY!! You ARE doing it!! :)

bluedress
03-16-2006, 06:39 PM
You ladies are so WONDERFUL! :)