PDA

View Full Version : Hiking 2017 Reloaded

Catrin
04-09-2017, 04:54 AM
I wound up creating a new hiking thread for 2017 in another section, which is potentially confusing. So I'm recreating it here - and here is a link to the posts (http://forums.teamestrogen.com/showthread.php?t=55958) there. Hopefully I'm just not adding another layer of confusion with this new thread.

Catrin
04-09-2017, 12:33 PM
3 miles today on the local canal tow path with a friend. Loads of sunshine, high winds, and a child-size scoop of coconut chocolate chip ice cream to follow :D

Crankin
04-09-2017, 02:30 PM
Yes, it was windier here than I expected, too. Sounds nice!

Catrin
04-09-2017, 03:15 PM
Yes, it was windier here than I expected, too. Sounds nice!

It was, which brought my total for the weekend to just under 8 miles. Frankly that was likely too much and will see how my shin splints behave, but it was delightful. This is the first day I've been able to open all of my windows and run around the apartment in shorts :cool:

Catrin
04-09-2017, 05:36 PM
I was curious and went back to add up all of my walking/hiking mileage for the year. 43 miles so far!!!! Much of that on pavement since it's been so wet and muddy. Guess that's a result from a mild winter. So my hiking/walking goal for the year is 200 miles. I don't think that's unreasonable as long as I don't try to do it all in one month.

Who...me? Would I try to do such a thing? Those who know me here know the answer

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

ny biker
04-13-2017, 08:31 AM
Late to the party, wanted to comment re: doing tai chi outside -- when I drive up to NY to visit family I usually do it at night to avoid traffic. I generally stop at a rest stop on the Jersey Turnpike around midnight - 1 am-ish. Some years ago when I stopped there I saw a man standing in the middle of the parking lot doing tai chi. I usually need to do some stretching by the time I reach that stop, standing in front of the sinks in the ladies room, so I totally understand why someone would want a tai chi break during a long drive. It was an unusual sight but not the strangest thing I've ever seen.

(I am not walking at all these days -- I'm lucky if I can run errands without ankle pain. :mad::mad: :mad: With the beautiful weather we've been having, I would love to get out for a stroll around my neighborhood to see the flowering trees.)

Catrin
04-15-2017, 02:01 PM
Hit a new series of local mtb/hiking trails today - well new to ME. They are quite different from the other offerings and I really appreciate that. On one hand I was checking it out for my hiking group, but also for something different for me. These trails were designed to be steep rather than to smooth that out as has been done on some local trails and there are quite a few pump-track sections. The signs are well placed as several sections are NOT appropriate for hikers due to the trail features, the narrowness of the rock armored trail, the steepness of the decline, and the speeds of the mtbr's. The state's MTB association are careful to only post warnings like this where they are really needed. As for me, I didn't need the sign to know that I shouldn't take those particular trails - NO way would my knee have allowed that.

Only 2 miles today, sadly - my quads NEVER loosened up. Half of that distance was much steeper/longer than other local trails so I did get my HR up a bit. Followed with a little TaiChi in the grass to cool down and stretch. I'm coming to enjoy that at the end of my hikes - the solo ones at least.

NY Biker I feel your pain, may you find relief soon and am able to get out.

Crankin
04-17-2017, 01:59 PM
I did my first post snow season hike today; it's Patriot's Day here in MA, so since most of the festivities take place in my town, we hung out at home and then went out after lunch. We went to a local conservation area in Acton that is quite close and we have hiked many times with our friends who moved, as well as quite a bit of snow shoeing. I rarely have been in here in the spring and summer, though. The All Trails app has been updated, so DH was able to map a route in the same way you can do a ride on Ride With GPS. We went on trails we had not done, with some awesome water features, waterfalls, ponds, etc. This is a pretty flat area, with one teeny hill, that is much worse in the winter, as it's icy as hell. We saw less than 10 people, and I was surprised, as it is a holiday here. Not everyone has the day off, but between the Revolutionary activities, the Marathon, and a daytime Red Sox game, it is pretty hard to get around or ignore the celebrations! And, it is school vacation, too.
I used to think one part of this was scary, with rocks. Now that I have done some real hiking in the past year, it's nothing. I can't believe how much my balance has improved from hiking.
4.5 miles and I am tired.

Catrin
04-17-2017, 02:50 PM
Sounds wonderful Crankin! So glad to read that you've seen such improvement in your balance.

Unsure what was off about my hike on Saturday - but I suspect I had already upset my knee, and that is why my quads were so cranky. Glad I went, though I had intended to spend much more time on the trails than I did. I will certainly go back, and am also looking forward to organizing our first group hike of the year. Apparently I jumped the weather gun, so to speak, have already had to reschedule it twice. So the next one is in mid-May...but I will certainly be hiking (both solo and with friends) before then.

Crankin
05-15-2017, 06:18 PM
I didn't get to ride in California this weekend, but I did hike. We went to the Claremont Wilderness Hiking Area, which is right in the city limits. We tried going here in September, but it was closed, due to fire danger. Originally, we were going to go back to Mt. Baldy/Ice House Canyon, with my son and the baby, but my son was tired and was trying to be polite and said, "I know you don't want to go," so DH and I wnt out around 4 pm. It was not too hot at all, sunny, around 75, with a nice breeze. This place gets crowded with trail runners, hikers, and walking groups, but there were not many others here. When we finished, more people were coming, as it was just after 5 pm, on a Friday.
The trail is a 5 mile loop, and since we started late, we decided to do an out an back, knowing it would take us 2 hours to do the loop. It was very different than hiking in the northeast, or even Mt. Baldy, which is about 17 miles up the road, but in a different climate zone. Wide dirt trail, just a few rocks. Lots of trees along the trail, though, as well as wildflowers, and some running water/ streams near the start. However, this trail had elevation. It did feel hard ascending, but I didn't realize how steep it was until we turned around and went down. We did 3.6 miles, with 650 ft. of climbing.
I would have liked to do the loop, but we had promised my son and DIL we wold take care of dinner. It was just as well, as all of the sitting on our travel day, flight delays, etc did a job on my back, and the hike kind of pushed it even more. Thankfully, although we had a day of hell coming home yesterday (got home at 4 AM this morning) as well as a high level of back pain from all of the extra sitting, it is resolving today. I am thinkig I shouldn't hike until after more PT and after I get back from my bike trip. We won't ever be coming back to Claremont but there are similar places in San Diego, where I do go, to visit my brother.

Catrin
05-21-2017, 02:53 PM
Sounds like fun Crankin!

I did manage to do a 3-mile MUP trail walk last Saturday with a couple of my hiking friends - the trails were just TOO wet. I thought this weekend might be an option, but no, things are even more muddy. It has to stop sometime though!

Pax
05-21-2017, 05:06 PM
Sounds like fun Crankin!

I did manage to do a 3-mile MUP trail walk last Saturday with a couple of my hiking friends - the trails were just TOO wet. I thought this weekend might be an option, but no, things are even more muddy. It has to stop sometime though!

We had three whole rain free days, all the fields are still filled with standing water, and we had another gully washer yesterday. It is a sea of mud out there.

Catrin
06-03-2017, 03:12 PM
I FINALLY was able to manage a little 3 mile hike on a couple of trails that were actually boot dry! My neck and shoulder seems to get cranky right now at about 3 miles, so I stopped while I was still feeling well. Major bugs however, obviously this will be a year of bug spray and hats... I suspect I won't be able to hike for the rest of the year once the medical rodeo starts at the end of July - but I will get in as much as weather and body allows!

emily_in_nc
06-03-2017, 05:11 PM
Glad you got a little hike in, Catrin! Better than I am managing...just starting back to walks, and those aren't very comfortable yet as my jaw bounces around more than it should, so I have to go slow and steady. I think bugs are gonna be bad everywhere this year!

Crankin
06-04-2017, 04:59 AM
We have so many mosquitos outside our house... we back up to a small wetlands area and it is definitely worse than my previous home. Beautiful to look at, though!
Emily, just being outside should make you feel better. The walking will come. Hope the healing is going well.
Catrin, get in as much as you can before your surgery.
I need to not hike until after my trip, as hiking requires a bit more aggressive stretching on my part, afterwards, than riding, to keep my back in shape. I'd love to go today, but...

emily_in_nc
06-12-2017, 09:17 AM
What a shame about the MTB trails, Sheila. Mother Nature is a cruel force at times. :( Hope you can find another place to ride!

emily_in_nc
06-12-2017, 02:41 PM
Thanks, Emily. The closest other than Hunting Island might be Parris Island, where I work. But they are very tame. More like beginner double-track.

That sounds perfect to me! :D But I know it wouldn't work for anyone intermediate or above in skills...

Catrin
06-13-2017, 05:29 AM
Smart is good whether hiking or mountain biking!

We did hike some yesterday, then off to the Indianapolis Zoo! Both activities were great, trying to get in as much hiking as I can before surgery 1.

Very cool last week, for my vacation week we are in the 90s for the first time since 2015. Next week back into the 70s, I could have picked a better week for vacation!

If my hip, knee, and shin splints feel better tomorrow morning I hope for some dirt trail time tomorrow morning, need to.get dust on my hiking boots!

Crankin
06-13-2017, 09:50 AM
I am so looking forward to more serious hiking after my cycling trip.
Of course, I will have extra DEET on, with the tics and yes, the mosquitos are horrible this year. Living by a small wetland area doesn't help.

Catrin
06-13-2017, 09:53 AM
Thanks for the reminder, I need bug spray!

Pax
06-17-2017, 05:46 PM
I'm taking off hiking later in the week... sort of. Be in Chicago for a conference and will hobble along for miles daily, but at least I'll be outside some and get to see the lake!

Catrin
06-17-2017, 05:55 PM
Sounds like fun Pax!

Pax
06-17-2017, 06:15 PM
Sounds like fun Pax!

I always enjoy the city, and still have my Art Institute membership so I'll spend some time at the Gauguin exhibit as well. It's doubly fun when my honeys work foots the bill for the room!

Crankin
06-18-2017, 04:33 AM
Have fun, Pax. Someday, I will get to Chicago.

Pax
06-18-2017, 05:03 AM
You'd enjoy it Crankin, so much to do and the city is heaven in the summer.

Catrin
06-24-2017, 04:14 PM
Nice little ~3 mile hike today with some friends, and a good lunch/dinner/whatever you call it at 3pm afterwards. Good times! Thankfully that part of Indiana wasn't really hit by the huge storm from the aftermath of Cindy so things were quite dry.

Pax
06-26-2017, 10:20 AM
Well, that didn't go as planned. Got to Chicago on Thursday and my right big toe was neon red and screamingly painful; ended up in urgent care on Friday morning, another MRSA infection from a tiny cut I probably gave myself trying to trim my toenails (I can't bend my right leg far enough to see what I'm doing very well). So lots of time in the hotel room with my foot propped up and eating antibiotics. Wheeeee! At least I had a gorgeous view, 26th floor overlooking the Magnificent Mile.

Catrin
06-26-2017, 01:58 PM
So sorry Pax, as you said at least you had a great view. Definitely a bummer, hope you're starting to feel better! MRSA is scary!

emily_in_nc
06-26-2017, 02:15 PM
Oh Pax!!!! So very sorry. That sounds awful. :(

Hope you heal up fast....

rebeccaC
06-26-2017, 09:28 PM
Thinking how cool to have a high tech, light, electric, foldable, comfortable, wheeled chair for easy moving through a city and buildings.

A miraculous and quick recovery coming your way pax…….well, hoping anyway.:):)

also thinking confinement to a hotel room sounds yucky :eek:....but then what's the outside humidity like in Chicago now?
but then then room service ftw.....does the hotel have a spa and in room massages???????????????

Pax
06-27-2017, 04:34 AM
Day five of antibiotics and it's starting to look better.

Rebecca, a light wheelchair would have made the trip far better! Fortunately, ever since my poor knee replacement outcome, I carry a folding cane when we travel, that came in very handy.

Catrin
09-09-2017, 12:16 PM
Oh how the mighty have fallen...just had a 2.13 mile hike on a rather easy trail and am calling it GOOD! Kind of feel like Ms. HumptyDumpty getting put back together again - but thankful for this little respite between surgeries! Pity it took this to final persuade me to start listening to my body - but of course it's never been quite good at talking to me anyway.

I did notice that we didn't, apparently, have the initial change of leaf colors that usually happens in August. Normally things start a bit in August for a week, then stops for another month or so. Lovely to be outside though, just lovely!

Crankin
09-09-2017, 01:38 PM
I hiked, today, also. Was so busy with riding and a bit of work yesterday, I had stuff to do for part of today.
We went to a new place, about 20 minutes west of here. A series of trails on conservation land, in the town of Bolton. There's a total of 6, almost 7 miles, but since the forecast was iffy in the afternoon, we also did "only" 2.5. I will add that the trailhead we started at is off of a road that has one of the more notorious climbs I've done locally, on my bike. I haven't climbed it in a few years, but I have descended it more recently, so I knew there would be some elevation in the woods.
What a nice area! We followed a route that included the trail to the summit, but we had a combo of thick woods, a field of late summer wildflowers, and a swampy pond, with some very faint color in the maples around it.
We agreed we will go back and do the longer hike, next time. My back/hamstring, and calves are screaming from a combo of my ride home from Philly last week, boot camp, step class, and a 30 mile ride. I'm on a HTFU binge, so ice and stretching has commenced big time.

Catrin
09-09-2017, 06:42 PM
I hiked, today, also. Was so busy with riding and a bit of work yesterday, I had stuff to do for part of today.
We went to a new place, about 20 minutes west of here. A series of trails on conservation land, in the town of Bolton. There's a total of 6, almost 7 miles, but since the forecast was iffy in the afternoon, we also did "only" 2.5. I will add that the trailhead we started at is off of a road that has one of the more notorious climbs I've done locally, on my bike. I haven't climbed it in a few years, but I have descended it more recently, so I knew there would be some elevation in the woods.
What a nice area! We followed a route that included the trail to the summit, but we had a combo of thick woods, a field of late summer wildflowers, and a swampy pond, with some very faint color in the maples around it.
We agreed we will go back and do the longer hike, next time. My back/hamstring, and calves are screaming from a combo of my ride home from Philly last week, boot camp, step class, and a 30 mile ride. I'm on a HTFU binge, so ice and stretching has commenced big time.

Your hike sounds great Crankin! I love the description of the mixed terrain you were in, and you've had a great week of activities!

I will admit I am a bit frustrated on the physical activity side of things. My 2.13 mile hike today was the longest since early June due to physical issues, and it was on a rather level/uniform trail. It DID, however, happen and for that I am thankful. My lack of an ability to really exercise is only temporary, my shoulder surgeon tells me that it will take a year to full recover but I can start things that look like exercise in 6 months, I am happy! Attached is a shot from a delightful hike last Saturday that went through a combination of woods, tall-grass prairie, and a historic bridge.

Crankin
09-10-2017, 06:16 AM
Looks nice! Six months to recover from that kind of surgery isn't unrealistic. I am sure you will be able to "walk" before that. I mean, walking, like on a sidewalk.

Catrin
09-10-2017, 06:45 AM
Looks nice! Six months to recover from that kind of surgery isn't unrealistic. I am sure you will be able to "walk" before that. I mean, walking, like on a sidewalk.

Hopefully I can start that pretty quickly, depending on the weather and sling as I can't risk falling. I mean anything that raises my heart rate. ;)

Crankin
10-01-2017, 05:52 PM
Today we hiked in the Mt. Sugarloaf State Reservation, in Sunderland, MA, which is by Amherst. This is not to be confused with Sugarloaf Ski area, in VT.
There is a short trail that goes to a tower, but we decided to do the other set of trails, at a different trailhead. The trails were wide and nice; some rocky roots, etc, but after all, it is New England. We had quite a climb and I was feeling good. We hiked a bit over 3 miles, with 570 ft. of elevation. The view from the summit was excellent, where we could see all of the towns on one side of the CT. River. Afterwards, we went with our friends to a harvest fair in Hatfield, which was a little sparse of good things, and then we ate at an amazing general store/market near their house, in Whately. A lot like Vermont.
We had a productive weekend, planning and reserving our x country ski vacation in February, near Craftsbury, VT and reserving our inn for our annual Berkshires trip in July. We have to go a week earlier than usual, as the inn is booked for a wedding during our usual dates. A younger couple bought the place, so they have made a lot of changes. We also made dinner reservations for our first two theatre nights in Boston, when our friends come and stay with us. So, I am sorry i didn't ride on a gorgeous day, today, but the hike was outstanding, and I want to go back and do more mileage there.

Catrin
10-01-2017, 05:59 PM
Sounds wonderful! Is a State Reservation more like a State Park, or a State Wilderness Area? In Indiana the latter means very few facilities, no camping, usually gravel road only access, etc.

The Feb trip sounds great as well, glad you're able to line it up on Oct.

Crankin
10-02-2017, 05:28 AM
Yeah, if you don't reserve places near ski areas early, it's difficult. We are going the week before the February school vacation, though, so it's easier, as well as the fact this is very far north, near the Canadian border. We love the Northeast Kingdom of Vermont, it's the place where there will be snow, if there's any snow to be had, and there's a growing number of cool restaurants and breweries. There's only one downhill area near here, so there's none of that vibe we find in Stowe, where even the nordic centers are expensive.
I am not sure what the difference is, between a state reservation and park. It's not a wilderness area by any means, and since we were not at the main trailhead, I can't comment on the facilities. Some state parks here do not have camping (in fact, most), so in typical Massachusetts fashion, it makes no sense.

Catrin
10-06-2017, 06:53 PM
Yeah, if you don't reserve places near ski areas early, it's difficult. We are going the week before the February school vacation, though, so it's easier, as well as the fact this is very far north, near the Canadian border. We love the Northeast Kingdom of Vermont, it's the place where there will be snow, if there's any snow to be had, and there's a growing number of cool restaurants and breweries. There's only one downhill area near here, so there's none of that vibe we find in Stowe, where even the nordic centers are expensive.
I am not sure what the difference is, between a state reservation and park. It's not a wilderness area by any means, and since we were not at the main trailhead, I can't comment on the facilities. Some state parks here do not have camping (in fact, most), so in typical Massachusetts fashion, it makes no sense.

Northeast Kingdom of Vermont? Love it!

In Indiana, I think the main difference between a state wilderness area and a state park is the kind of facilities (camping, picnic spots, parking, signage, etc.) that has been invested. Some state parks have camping, some do not. Last October I and a friend took on a 10 mile hike for my 57th birthday in a state wilderness area. The main thing I remember that I considered a substantial difference (outside of the miles of gravel roads to GET there) was the lack of trail signage that played out in an unexpected way. We parked in a very small lot at the trail head of a 10 mile loop. There was a hitch a couple miles in where we wound up off the trail as we followed what we thought WAS the trail...until it disappeared in a creek and didn't pick back up the other side. That's not unusual, and we easily figured it out. That was not the problem. The problem was that the trail name ends in the word "loop". On the highly stylized trail map we found online that turned out to be basically useless, it LOOKED like a loop trail. Some hours later we reached the other end of the trail...but it did not end at the parking lot where we started. There were no signs directing us to the parking lot. There were no signs at all and it was quickly approaching dark.

Thankfully I did have a memory of driving past a feature we were looking at on the way to the parking lot, and I looked down a large field to see some people coming out of the woods - about a quarter mile away. They were headed our way so I caught up with them as quickly as I could and found out that the parking lot where we had started was across two fields and through the woods, about a half mile away. They laughed and shook their heads about the number of first timers who got lost for the same reason. Considering how few people we had seen that day, I could see how there could be a problem the wrong time of the year. The lesson, of course, was to not trust that a loop trail really IS a loop. There was no cell signal there, no way finding markers outside of a couple of tree markings, and the lesson was a good reminder. It was a great day however, and there was no harm from the little adventure at the end. I DID make a map by exporting the GPS points in my phone and posted it online for others. I had hoped to repeat the hike this year, well that can't happen with the 2 surgeries, but hopefully I can do it next year, and without the shin splints this time!

Crankin
10-07-2017, 05:35 AM
Oy, that's the kind of thing that scares me about hiking. It's primarily the reason we bought the upgraded All Trails app. We use that and take a paper map, if there is one. Last March, when we did Little Monadnock, we were following an All Trails route. However, there was some snow on the ground and it was a little hard to follow, even with the app. There were markers, but at one point, I am pretty sure we got off of the trail and bushwhacked. At least with the app, we could see where to go. This was a longer, technical hike, and I was not happy. I don't hike alone, unless it is a very well known, easy to follow trail, because of this. I have a good sense of direction on the road, but once I get in the woods, no. Once, I decided to go mountain biking alone, after work. I went to a place that I hike, ski, snow shoe, and used to mountain bike in. It was not as well marked as it is now, and I took a wrong turn. After realizing I had reached the boundary, at a river, I went back, and ended up at a road, which was not the road/parking my car was at. I knew where it was, and I could have ridden back on the road, to my car, but managed to find my way back on the trail. It really creeped me out. I skied there a few times, after work, and while I stuck to main trails, there were always weird guys skiing in jeans that also creeped me out. Harmless, of course, but I stopped going there alone.

Catrin
10-07-2017, 02:23 PM
These trails aren't even on the All Trails app., or so we were told. I hike alone all of the time (at least before this year), and have never had a problem. However, when I am alone I only go to trails I know well and see a lot of traffic. This was the first time that I had been in a "state wilderness area", and we didn't know what that meant. It was, however, just lovely. Nor did I realize that a BAD idea it would be to go on a 10 mile hike with new orthotics in rigid hiking boots (my podiatrist apologized for not warning me) - but that was my fault. It WAS a great day, regardless of the fact I still have shin splints in one leg a year later. We just assumed that the map we saw from the State Park system was accurate...but map scale matters greatly, and it was a good lesson learned (the scale made it look like a real loop). I DO want to go back someday. There is another 10 mile loop trail in the same park that is apparently much easier to get lost as it has multiple trails crossing it. The "only" reason we got confused was that it didn't end where it started - which is a bit of a problem if it isn't expected. Very thankful we didn't hit the OTHER 10 mile loop.

You were smart to stop going there alone, if there are those on the trail who creep you out especially. I am sure they were harmless, but it's good to listen to ourselves.

Crankin
10-15-2017, 05:06 PM
DH and I lost the urge to ride today, with 20+ mph wind gusts predicted.
Time to hike. We decided to go back to Middesex Fells, which is a large, close to Boston hiking area, in the city my son lives in. Well, part of it is. The most difficult trail is quite rocky and challenging; we started a hike on it last year, but it was when my foot was healing, so we ended up doing another hike there, and got very lost. We were on a time schedule, so we knew we probably would not get the whole trail done. It's an out and back. We go to the first fire tower, as it's pretty near the start, with a great view of the Boston skyline. I think we probably did about 2 miles on this trail, when we decided to get onto one of the parallel trails to head back. Lots of climbing, steep descents, and rocks. I handled it pretty well. It was partly cloudy and windy and VERY humid. I was totally soaked! After 45 minutes of this, we were ready for lunch, so once we got on a flatter trail, we sat on a rock and ate. I am pretty sure it's where we ate last time. However, this time, DH was more adept at using the All Trails app and we did not get lost coming back. We did a total of 3.8 miles and I know I will feel it tomorrow.
We then went to see my granddaughter and my son. She was zooming around on her little push trike... they have a hand me down strider, and I think she will be ready for it quite soon. She's fearless.

emily_in_nc
10-16-2017, 02:13 PM
Sounds like a nice hike (except for the humidity) and day, Crankin! Just make sure your son and DIL always, always watch your granddaughter when she zooms around. A toddler on a push bike who was NOT being watched was how I had my jaw-breaking endo this spring. I am super wary around kids on bike paths anyway, but this was on a road and with no line of sight -- and no one paying attention to the fact that she decided to cross the road! :mad: :eek:

Crankin
10-16-2017, 03:06 PM
Right now she is zooming in the house!
They are not dumb enough to bring her on a trail. They have a pond near their house, with a path around it. Or, she can practice in our cul-de-sac.

emily_in_nc
10-17-2017, 02:30 PM
Right now she is zooming in the house!
They are not dumb enough to bring her on a trail. They have a pond near their house, with a path around it. Or, she can practice in our cul-de-sac.

I figured they were a lot smarter than the folks at the campground when I had my accident. Dad had apparently told her brothers to keep an eye on her, but of course they got involved in watching something else and forgot. :rolleyes:

Crankin
11-12-2017, 04:48 AM
Did a hike in another new place yesterday; Mt. Pisgah, in Berlin and Northboro, MA. Yes, I know there's a real, and more famous mountain by this name in NC....
This area was part of the bike tour of the conservation lands owned by the Sudbury Valley Trustees we did in September. Driving there was interesting, as I got to see just how hilly that ride was. Anyway, we took a route from All Trails, which is good, though sometimes, we have found the hiker we copy it from goes bushwhacking... The beginning was normal rocky, rooty, wooded, and flat. Only saw one hiker and one mountain biker, despite the fact there were other cars there. We were traversing the side of the hill for awhile. At one point, we couldn't find the trail, we were right next to it, and then suddenly, we were on it. Then, we started climbing; it was quite rocky, but not hard. After this, we got on a very twisty trail, deciding to avoid a little extra loop, that was just more of the same. What we discovered was the trail system was marked well in the areas closer to the start, but not so much as we went on. So then, we got to a larger climb. We could see the hill and the ridge that went on along the top. We were supposed to turn left on a trail to go up the climb, but we just could not find it at the spot the All Trails indicated. So, up we went, bushwhacking. Not really bushwhacking, as there were not trees, just tons of slippery leaves! It had to have been 20%, maybe more. I eventually had to get on all fours, as I felt I was going to slide down. DH was just a bit ahead and finally saw the trail, when we were pretty near the top. That was an experience, and the only time I broke a sweat. Theere was a viewpoint at the summit, though I was not sure what I was seeing. We ate our lunch near the summit, at a trail intersection, when we started seeing more people. There was a trail here, directly from the lot, up to the summit. We decided not to take it, as we could go a little farther and turn toward the lot, without doing the whole 6.5 miles. I felt a little chilled after lunch, not sure why. I was perfectly dressed, with 3 thin layers, but my heaviest base layer. It was sunny and about 33 when we started and 38 when we got back. I think stopping to eat after the climb did it. Near the end saw several more mt bikers and a few dog walkers, but basically, this was a quiet hike.
We will start earlier next time, to do the whole 6 miles. I think we did 4.3. A good workout.

Catrin
11-12-2017, 04:56 AM
Did a hike in another new place yesterday; Mt. Pisgah, in Berlin and Northboro, MA. Yes, I know there's a real, and more famous mountain by this name in NC....
This area was part of the bike tour of the conservation lands owned by the Sudbury Valley Trustees we did in September. Driving there was interesting, as I got to see just how hilly that ride was. Anyway, we took a route from All Trails, which is good, though sometimes, we have found the hiker we copy it from goes bushwhacking... The beginning was normal rocky, rooty, wooded, and flat. Only saw one hiker and one mountain biker, despite the fact there were other cars there. We were traversing the side of the hill for awhile. At one point, we couldn't find the trail, we were right next to it, and then suddenly, we were on it. Then, we started climbing; it was quite rocky, but not hard. After this, we got on a very twisty trail, deciding to avoid a little extra loop, that was just more of the same. What we discovered was the trail system was marked well in the areas closer to the start, but not so much as we went on. So then, we got to a larger climb. We could see the hill and the ridge that went on along the top. We were supposed to turn left on a trail to go up the climb, but we just could not find it at the spot the All Trails indicated. So, up we went, bushwhacking. Not really bushwhacking, as there were not trees, just tons of slippery leaves! It had to have been 20%, maybe more. I eventually had to get on all fours, as I felt I was going to slide down. DH was just a bit ahead and finally saw the trail, when we were pretty near the top. That was an experience, and the only time I broke a sweat. Theere was a viewpoint at the summit, though I was not sure what I was seeing. We ate our lunch near the summit, at a trail intersection, when we started seeing more people. There was a trail here, directly from the lot, up to the summit. We decided not to take it, as we could go a little farther and turn toward the lot, without doing the whole 6.5 miles. I felt a little chilled after lunch, not sure why. I was perfectly dressed, with 3 thin layers, but my heaviest base layer. It was sunny and about 33 when we started and 38 when we got back. I think stopping to eat after the climb did it. Near the end saw several more mt bikers and a few dog walkers, but basically, this was a quiet hike.
We will start earlier next time, to do the whole 6 miles. I think we did 4.3. A good workout.Sounds lovely! I like you were able to go bush/leaf-whacking. 😎 I'm looking forward so much to when I can hit dirt again and really enjoyed your description.

Crankin
12-10-2017, 05:46 PM
Today we did our first snow shoe of the year. We did order new snow shoes, but they haven't arrived yet. Ours are ok, but 13 years old and there are newer latching mechanisms. Going to give them to my son and DIL.
We went to a conservation land trail in the town of Stow, MA, near the town we used to live in. It's pretty close, we ride in this area a lot, but I haven't been here in ages. DH used to mountain bike here with my younger son, when he was 13! Anyway, we had 6 inches of snow, it was over 30 degrees and bright sun this morning. I really wanted to ski, but despite the 2 local and kind of local nordic centers opening, they were clear it was a "rock ski" day, for old skis. Since I only have one pair, I was good. There were a few signs that 1-2 other people had been on the trail, but we were breaking trail for most of the 3.3 miles. We started with a climb, then it was flat, and then we had a long and steep climb. It was tough going, but beautiful. As we descended, we got to a point where we were behind a community center and ball field, on a main road, which feels so weird, since I really felt I was in the middle of nowhere. By this time, I felt like I was on the way to getting blisters. The snow was getting sticky and clumping in the crampon and every step felt hard. My hiking boots are broken in, I put Body Glide on my feet, so I think it's really the weight of these snow shoes. I hiked 4 miles yesterday (no snow) and was fine.
We slowed a lot, but made it back. My heels are red, but no blisters. Hoping the new snow shoes are better. It was a gorgeous day out and I keep remembering how lucky I am to live near all of these great places.

emily_in_nc
12-11-2017, 05:27 PM
That sounds fun, Crankin. I suspect snow shoeing is something I'll never get to try in this lifetime! I hope the new shoes will be better but glad you didn't get blistered. Blisters are the worst!

We did quite a bit of walking over the weekend (and I worked out in the gym yesterday), but no cycling. Just too darn cold and windy here in central Florida! So strange that we were in shorts and short sleeves just a few days ago. We rode M, Tu, W, and Friday, and Friday was short-sleeves weather. By Sat. am, we were in fleece and wool to walk to the downtown markets!

Tomorrow it's supposed to be a pinch warmer, though very windy, so we'll head out for a ride. A couple more cold fronts are due throughout the week, so I'll be happy if we get to ride one more day during the week. We just don't enjoy riding when it's below 60 degrees, though we'll do it in a pinch. Glad we can walk if all else fails.

Catrin
12-14-2017, 06:11 PM
Crankin - I've never used snow shoes but it sounds like fun! Outside from a memorable record breaker 3-4 years ago, we just do not get all that much snow that sticks around. Sadly, although I do hope that trend continues this year so I am not tempted to get out there and do something I should not to. For some reason I'm only tempted to winter hiking when it is crazy cold and all is covered with snow and ice. Go figure, and I'm the winter weenie!

Starting to be able to hit the gym - even if all I am allowed to do is an elliptical 'bike' with optional arm involvement. It is, however, movement - and my deconditioned body after 2 major surgeries since the end of July is most appreciative!

Crankin
12-15-2017, 05:20 AM
We don't get that much snow here, anymore, either. I usually have to go at least an hour north or west to nordic ski. It's a little easier to snow shoe locally, as you don't need as much snow!
We are having frigid, January temperatures now. It was 10F when I went to the gym this morning. I am OK with it when I am skiing or snow shoeing, but, for normal getting in and out of the car, shopping, not so much. It will be 30 later today, though. My favorite ski place is open and I hope to go there Sunday. I am almost through my busy week of celebrating... tonight is my DH's company holiday party. It doesn't start until 8 pm, and I hope I can rest later this afternoon, since I got up at 5. Tomorrow, I think I am taking a break from exercising... we have to drive to western MA for my friend's birthday lunch, and then then rush home to have our family Chanukah celebration. I have already gained 3 pounds, despite exercising every day. This happens every winter, and I feel gross right now. This morning in boot camp, I was trying to tame my "why do I do this, I shold be home sleeping like all the other older people who don't give a sh!t" thinking. But, I will carry on.

Crankin
01-20-2018, 02:02 PM
Today we went to Breakhart Reservation in Saugus, MA. Not exactly a lovely place (think honky tonk and strip malls along Rt 1), but it's accessible to people who live north of Boston and the city. Again, we downloaded a hike from All Trails; the beginning was a steep short climb and then we were on one of the park roads for a while, which is closed for the winter. Then the fun began on the Ridge Trail. I wore my microspikes and had my poles, but the spikes were alternatively needed or hindering me, as there was a thin cover of snow, some ice, slush, and plain wet leaves. This trail was very technical and some of the markers were on the rocks, so this is probably why it's not recommended in the winter, although the snow was cleared in most of the spots and we had the app going. However, I slipped and fell lightly on a descent. Not a big or long fall, I just went down. I really don't know what happened! I am not hurt in any way, except a little bruise and soreness on the palm side of my right thumb. Everything else is just really stiff from the hike itself. But, after this I was spooked, so there was some screaming and swearing at DH... this took much longer than we thought and I was ready to be done before we were done. We also had a stream/wetland crossing. We finally saw the boards for the crossing, but it was a bit tricky getting to the first board, on thin ice. Although it was close to 50, we did not want to be wet.
All an all, an experience, but I think I won't go back until the fall, when it is dry.

emily_in_nc
01-20-2018, 02:32 PM
Cute pic, Crankin! It does look a bit challenging, and slipping definitely an ongoing threat given the conditions. Don't blame you for waiting until dry conditions to do that again....

We never ride on Saturdays due to trail crowds, but we did our usual walk to town to the markets and will ride tomorrow and most of the days next week, weather permitting. It's warming up again, but they're predicting some rain chances and windy conditions late in the week, so the more riding we can get done between Sunday and Wednesday, the better. I am feeling really sluggish after several days of not riding and am ready to get back out there.