PDA

View Full Version : Sunscreen help

btchance
03-12-2006, 01:33 PM
Hey gals, I was wondering if you know of any really good sunscreen. I'm extremely fair skinned, and just got back from a ride and run today where I put sunscreen on before I left the house and again before I ran, but I still turned bright red.

The one I used today was NoAd SPF 45, I have also tried Coppertone 30 and Hawaiin Tropic 45, and none of them work at all. I always end up looking like a lobster :eek: while everyone I'm with, who uses either the same stuff as me or lower SPF, barely gets any sun at all. Any help is much appreciated.

ladyfish
03-12-2006, 05:01 PM
Is it because you sweat it off? If you want something that works and doesn't sweat off, try Bullfrog. It's kind of a slimy thing, but will stay on! I use it when I'm going to be in the water.

I'm what I refer to as "ghost white", so I know where you are coming from. Good luck!

Tess851
03-12-2006, 06:12 PM
Ella Bache sports bloc spf30+.

I'm fair skinned, full of freckles, red hair etc and can cycle in hot humid conditions for about 4-4.5 hours before having to re-apply it.

CyclaSutra
03-12-2006, 06:18 PM
OK, I'm from the south so I can definitively say that y'all don't know what you're talking about, you will LOSE in a white-out competition. I am catfish-belly white.

I use Neutrogena Ultra Sheer Dry-Touch Sunblock, SPF 30 for every day that I am actually in the sun. That hasn't happened since October, but when it does, it works. It "feels clean and weightless," according to the label, and it really is pleasant, nongreasy. Theyn also make a sunblock lotion that is more typical to a sunblock feel, but I like the drytouch much better.

It's spendy, like $12-15/ for a 3-4 ounce bottle, but a little goes a long way and I love it. Good luck!

PS- I always use the Oil of Olay Complete *UV defense* moisture lotion in the morneing before anything else, SPF 15. Maybe that helps, too.

I say, let it do what it do. Same philosophy as the curly hair.

salsabike
03-12-2006, 08:11 PM
I'm also fair-skinned. My dermatologist suggested PreSun Ultra Gel, sp 30; seems to work fine on long (5-6 hour) rides in intense sun.

DeniseGoldberg
03-13-2006, 02:14 AM
I'm also fair-skinned. My dermatologist suggested PreSun Ultra Gel, sp 30; seems to work fine on long (5-6 hour) rides in intense sun.

I also have fair skin and I burn very badly without good sunscreen. I've been using the PreSun Ultra Gel 30 for many years now, and it works well for me too. The only problem is that it can be very difficult to find - depending, of course, on where you happen to live. I can't buy it in bricks & mortar stores in my area, so of course I've turned to the web. I've been very happy with the quick service from http://www.uniquesportsaccessories.com/s-presun-sunscreen.htm. And they also sell Bullfrog which someone else recommended.

--- Denise

crazycanuck
03-13-2006, 03:46 AM
Hey there,

Not sure if the American Cancer Society makes sunscreen but i'll put my .02 in.

I usually use the Australian Cancer society sunscreen because it's the main product out there that's well..approved by them...of course. It's spf 30+ and water resistant for 2hrs. (For long rides i don't carry the large tube but have managed to wrangle a few small tubes from the chemist...for freeeeee..)

All i can say is put sunscreen on!!!

c

Nanci
03-13-2006, 05:53 AM
I use Neutrogena 45 in the pump bottle. And I discovered this weekend, if you don't have anyone to help you put sunscreen on your back, a reasonable substitute is a long-handled wooden spoon and a mirror! :-)

Nanci

DrBee
03-13-2006, 06:24 AM
I also have fair skin and I burn very badly without good sunscreen. I've been using the PreSun Ultra Gel 30 for many years now, and it works well for me too. The only problem is that it can be very difficult to find - depending, of course, on where you happen to live. I can't buy it in bricks & mortar stores in my area, so of course I've turned to the web. I've been very happy with the quick service from http://www.uniquesportsaccessories.com/s-presun-sunscreen.htm. And they also sell Bullfrog which someone else recommended.

--- Denise
I also use PreSun Ultra Gel 30. I have found it in Walgreens. Even if you have to buy it online - it's worth it. I am very fair skinned (reddish hair - lots of freckles). I used it while doing my field work as a grad student. I worked on barrier islands in the Gulf of Mexico. It stayed on through 8 hours of sweating and in saltwater. And - I have very sensitive skin (I react to just about everything) and it doesn't bother my skin at all. PreSun Gel is nice - it doesn't feel slimy like bullfrog. And - a little goes a long way. Don't forget to do your ears :)

btchance
03-13-2006, 01:35 PM
Ok, I'm going to go see if I can find the PreSun gel. Let's hope this works.

ConstanceReader
04-21-2006, 05:41 AM
I use Jason's Sunbrella Kid's SPF 46 (http://www.jason-natural.com/products/sunbrellas.php) sunscreen. It has the advantage of being made of all natural ingredients and is the first sunscreen I've ever used that does not summon the pimple fairy to my face. It blocks UVA and UVB and is waterproof. It also has a lighter, more pleasant smell, reminds me of the old Coppertone SPF 6 my sister used in the 70s.

Dianyla
04-21-2006, 04:54 PM
I also use Jason sunscreen, not the kids one but the Chemical Free sunscreen. The only active ingredient is titanium dioxide (no parsol, etc). It's pretty thick stuff and you have to work a little bit to apply it but it is an excellent product.

Granted, it doesn't feel quite as lovely as the Neutrogena Dry Touch stuff, but I'm very adamant about avoiding certain chemicals in my personal care products (notably parabens). Good times! :)

KnottedYet
04-21-2006, 08:32 PM
I use Banana Boat Kids SunBLOCK spf 30 or Hawaiian Tropic Kids Sunblock spf 45. I'm quite fond of Kokatat's spf shirt and my big-brimmed hat. I will burn even with sunscreen, so physical blocks (clothing, or sunblock with titanium dioxide or zinc oxide) are very important.

I've tried several varieties of "pure" titanium dioxide sunblocks, but I've always sweated them off, or they've washed off in water. I only use them if I'm not gonna sweat or get wet. They're much more expensive so it's frustrating.

I keep going back to my old favorites (banana boat and Hawaiian tropic).

Running Mommy
04-21-2006, 08:42 PM
As a former surfer I must give bull frog another nod.

Selkie
04-22-2006, 01:11 AM
The Presun gel that's a favorite here seems to work the best for me, too. It doesn't make your face all greasy looking either. I put that on in the morning.

I also have been using SolBar SPF50, but wear that only when I'm out riding, as it does make your face look greasy. So far, using it on top of the previously-applied Presun is doing the job (put it on about 30 minutes before heading out). Last year, I used the Neutrogena Ultra-Sheer and didn't find it effective. I think I must have sweated it off because it made the brown patches on my face, courtesy of being on BCP, worse.