PDA

View Full Version : Rest In Peace to Pioneer Cabin Tree (giant sequoia)

smilingcat
01-09-2017, 10:56 PM
A tall majestic mountain will weather away with time and all living creatures die eventually, even bristle cone pine trees in California and Nevada . Yet I can't help a sense of loss and a sense of sadness to see such an old majestic tree to come down after 1000 maybe 2000 years. My partner remembers going through the tunnel on many occasions and I believe we have family photo of us going through the tunnel as well. So SAD!!

Well at least its not the last of its specie unlike lonesome George (tortoise) of Galapagos Island. Or the last three or five surviving white Rhinos.

And yes many of the giant sequoias have names like General Grant. You can find the names on wiki. I just remember General Grant. And a giant redwood named Luna made famous by Julia Butterfly Hill.

emily_in_nc
01-10-2017, 04:40 AM
I saw this on the news and am sad because I will never have the opportunity to see it. :(

ny biker
01-13-2017, 02:34 PM
I wondered if the tunnel may have made the tree weaker. It's amazing that a gust of wind could knock down a tree that has survived so very many storms.

Blueberry
01-13-2017, 05:35 PM
Maybe - they also said that not much of it was still alive. I, too, am sad that I will never be able to see it.