PDA

View Full Version : good wheelbuilder in Boston area?

newfsmith
03-12-2006, 06:10 AM
I broke a spoke 2 weeks ago & have spent the evenings since trying to remove the cassette locknut. The last time I broke a spoke on this wheel I didn't have a cog wrench or chain whip so I took it to a bike shop in Providence. I think they put the locknut on with the axle in a vise and I've had some on line advice that without putting it back in a vise I won't be able to get it off. I'm not inclined to go back there, since I specifically told them it was for a touring bike (i.e. one that could break a spoke a long ways from a shop). I want this one hand tightened to 40 Nm so I can use my Hypercracker the next time I break a spoke on a long ride. I was putting so much force on the pedal this time that I was worried about damaging the seat stay. Has anyone had spokes replaced at a shop locally that you were then able to remove the lockring yourself if needed?

DeniseGoldberg
03-12-2006, 06:19 AM
Jean -
I haven't been unlucky enough to have to deal with a broken spoke on the road. So I guess that may speak to the wheel-building capabilities at Belmont Wheelworks; they built the wheels for my Peter Mooney touring bike. I've been happy with the service there, might be worth a try for your wheel.

--- Denise

DebW
03-12-2006, 01:06 PM
Newfsmith, I live in Wayland, MA and will remove your lock ring if you like. I have the puller, a bench vise, and a 12 inch crescent wrench and haven't yet met a cassette or freewheel I couldn't remove (but of course there's a first time for everything). No torque wrench though, so I can't measure 40 Nm for the re-install. I build wheels too, but haven't been a professional bike mechanic for 30 years.

massbikebabe
03-18-2006, 04:25 PM
Jean:

Bicycle Alley here in Worcester just built two beautiful wheels for me. Ask for Neil, tell him you are friends of Kaye and Brian Richard.

karen