PDA

View Full Version : Handlebars for new bike

Kathi
03-11-2006, 07:16 AM
I'm building a new bike this spring and am researching handlebars.

I looked at the handlebars that companies who build WSD bikes are using and came up with this list. When I did a search for specific information on some of the models I didn't find much. So maybe some of you can give me the pros and cons of each.

The handlebars need to be 36-38 cm, short reach and good for small hands. However, my hands are more like kids hands. On my current setup I have problems reaching the brakes from the drops. Shimano has short reach levers but the levers feel bulky from the hoods so I'm leaning toward staying with Campy.

Here's the list:

Deda 4Girls, currently using and like very much/w Record Brifters.
Deda Piega
Salsa, Short and Shallow
Morphe TTT, 3T Eva
Bontrager Race, XXX Lite, X Lite and Race Lite
S Works F.A.C.T. Carbon Ergo Women's
ITM K-Sword Carbon, Itm Elle

Thanks

Surlygirl
03-11-2006, 09:00 AM
Hey Kathi,
I have small hands also and I have
Salsa short and shallow on my Surly.
I have the Specialized on my Orbea.
I am pretty happy with both.
Bicycling magazine also has a picture(pg 29)
of Richey Biomax handlebars. See if you can look and get
a feel for a few at an LBS. Just walk around and grab handlebars..
Hope this helps.

Cari
06-19-2006, 02:40 PM
Hi Kathi,

Not sure if you still need this, but...

Recently I did some research on short-reach handlebars. In my case, I was looking to shorten the distance to the hoods without changing my stem, which is a 90mm.

The Ritchey Biomax comes in a size 38cm and its reach is only 75mm. The drops are ergonomic and they felt very comfy. There's also the Salsa Poco which is great for narrow shoulders and small hands. Oh, and have you checked out the Modolo Curvissima? I've heard good things about that one too, although it's a bit more expensive than the others I've mentioned.

In the end I went with a winged model because I found those to be very comfortable (and my hands aren't that small). Oh, and I had some shims installed in my brakes in order to shorten the reach from the drops.

Hope this helps,

~Cari

Kathi
06-20-2006, 06:11 AM
Thanks Cari,

I looked at the bars you mentioned but they didn't come small enough, I need 34 cm. The smallest size most come is 38 cm.

I tried the Modolo Venus on my old bike, the new one isn't here yet, and I love them. They are designed to shorten the reach to the brake lever from the drops and they really do work. Being smaller than the 38 cm Deda's I was using they are much more comfortable for me.

I use Campy and there is no shim to shorten the reach from the drops. My other choice was to get Shimano levers but they felt to large for my hands.

My LBS got the last pair of 34 cm Modolo Venus bars in the states for my new bike. Another shipment is not due until the end of July. They had 38 cm but only one set of 34's left and no 36 cm's.

Apparently, the Modolo Venus bars have been around for 3+ years but no one knew much about them. The LBS that put them on my bike had not heard of them until I requested them.

3T also makes a bar called the Eva that does pretty much the same thing as the Venus but the smallest size it comes in is 38 cm.

winddance
06-20-2006, 07:40 AM
Hi Kathi,

I have the ITM K-Sword on my bike, and unfortunately, when we ordered them LBS and I found out that the smallest size they come in is a 40. I measure out at a 36-38, and chose to go with them anyway due to the carbon fiber and the flat bar. I have trouble with carpal tunnel and truly find them to be more comfortable than a round bar. I was using FSA K-wing's before that, and they were very difficult for me to reach anything with (came with bike) but I really liked the more ergonomic bar.

It's unfortunate that they don't make them smaller -- they're great bars, and offer a lot of flexibility in riding position. I've got teeny hands and have my shimano levers shimmed, and I find that I can reach the brakes from the drops with minimal effort. I just wish they came in a 36 or 38...I also haven't seen the ITM Elle in anything smaller than a 40, but that doesn't mean they don't exist.

Best of luck to you in your search!

slw
11-10-2011, 07:59 AM
I had the Salsa Poco Bar on my Scott (before it got stolen :-( ). I really liked it. Here's the description on the site. "The Poco Bar is designed for riders looking for a super short reach and shallow drop. " Unfortunately, the smallest size is 36.