PDA

View Full Version : PI Shorts - Ultrasensor vs. Attack

kaian
03-09-2006, 04:58 AM
I need to get some new shorts and I would like to try Pearl Izumi. Is there are big difference between the Ultrasensors and the Attacks? I want decent padding for longer rides, but I don't need lots of thick padding that will bunch up and give me saddle sores. Has anyone used both of these? Also, should I try to find '05 models with the PRT chamois or the '06 models with the 3D chamois? Thanks!

DeniseGoldberg
03-09-2006, 05:15 AM
I use (and like) Ultrasensor shorts. I haven't tried the Attack shorts, but I don't need to - I know that I wouldn't like them because the inseam is shorter than I like. Ultrasensor inseam length of 8.5" makes me happy - and the Attack inseam length is 6". If you like short shorts they might be worth a try.

--- Denise

tatormc
03-09-2006, 06:04 AM
I've tried both and didn't notice a different as both shorts had the same chamois. Another PI short to look at if you like a shorter inseam is the Short Cut Short. It's basically the Ultrasensor with a 6" inseam. These are my favorite. One thing I did notice in a recent catalog is PI has changed the chamois in the 2006 shorts which I havent' tried any of these yet.

SadieKate
03-09-2006, 06:51 AM
I've tried both and didn't notice a different as both shorts had the same chamois.The current 2006 shorts use different chamois according to TE's website.

I personally like the length of the Ultrasensor short for 2 reasons: the more attractive spot the elastic ends up on my leg and also because it is long enough to hold up leg warmers.

Microsensor fabric is more comfortable to me than Ultrasensor. It might be because it wicks better. I wonder if the same benefit is true of the Ultrasensor over the Attack.

Cari
03-10-2006, 07:10 AM
I've own some 2005 Ultrasensors, and tried on but didn't buy the 2005 Attack short because of the shorter inseam and the thinner fabric. I was wearing light-colored underwear when I tried on the Attack shorts, and could see them through the shorts. The Ultrasensor fabric is somewhat heavier and more supportive so I like it better.

The chamois on the 2005 Ultrasensors is substantial, but doesn't bunch up at all on me. I don't need shorts this thick for when I ride my mountain bike, but the seat on my road bike seems harder (it's a Selle Italia Gel Flow) and that's when they come in handy. I've worn those Ultrasensors on rides ranging from 30 to 66 miles and they've come through very nicely.

Has anyone tried PI's new chamois? I'm curious to know what it's like. I didn't buy last year's Sugar Knickers because the rise was too short and the chamois seemed too thin, but I might be interested in the 2006 model if the chamois has been improved.

~Carissa

DeniseGoldberg
03-10-2006, 07:28 AM
Has anyone tried PI's new chamois? I'm curious to know what it's like. I didn't buy last year's Sugar Knickers because the rise was too short and the chamois seemed too thin, but I might be interested in the 2006 model if the chamois has been improved.
~Carissa
I just tried the 2006 PI Ultrasensor shorts and I hate the new chamois. I sent them back to TE this morning, and I'm now on the hunt for a new brand of shorts.

I guess this is a direct contradiction of my earlier post - I don't like their new shorts, but I still like the length...

--- Denise

Cari
03-10-2006, 11:50 AM
I just tried the 2006 PI Ultrasensor shorts and I hate the new chamois. I sent them back to TE this morning, and I'm now on the hunt for a new brand of shorts.

The 2005 PI's are on sale all over the place, so maybe you can snatch some up before they're gone forever.

What didn't you like about the new chamois? Thickness, shape, material...?

Selkie
03-10-2006, 11:57 AM
Attack shorts (2005 model) - fabric much less supportive than the ultra sensor (my favorites). Cari's right in that it's thinner, too. I feel like I have "baggy a@@" syndrome when I wear my attacks, so I put them on ONLY when I'm riding inside on my trainer.

Ultrasensor shorts (2005 version) are worth the money. I love them. They look good on you because the stitching curves. The fabric is wonderfully supportive and substantial.

The chamois is the same in both 2005 models (attack & ultrasensor), if I'm not mistaken.

I have to admit that I got myself a pair of the 2005 "expensive" PIs (micro sensor?) and now, I'm spoiled. Need to save up some $$$ to get some of the 2006 version.

DeniseGoldberg
03-10-2006, 01:21 PM
What didn't you like about the new chamois? Thickness, shape, material...?
Unbelievably, everything! There was too much fabric betwen my legs (imagine a straight line parallel to the ground from the top of one leg to the top of the other), it stuck out in back, and it was just too big! The only thing that was OK was the material.

I've ordered some Sugoi shorts from TE, and I'm hoping that I like those!

--- Denise

Barb
03-12-2006, 04:53 PM
I just ordered the Attacks, so I will find out shortly if I like them! My all time fav shorts are a few years old. They came from TE and had the TE logo on them. I think they were made my Terry, but I can't remember. Does anyone know which shorts these are?

Cari
03-13-2006, 07:40 AM
Attack shorts (2005 model) - fabric much less supportive than the ultra sensor (my favorites). Cari's right in that it's thinner, too. I feel like I have "baggy a@@" syndrome when I wear my attacks, so I put them on ONLY when I'm riding inside on my trainer.

Ultrasensor shorts (2005 version) are worth the money. I love them. They look good on you because the stitching curves. The fabric is wonderfully supportive and substantial.

The chamois is the same in both 2005 models (attack & ultrasensor), if I'm not mistaken.

I have to admit that I got myself a pair of the 2005 "expensive" PIs (micro sensor?) and now, I'm spoiled. Need to save up some $$$ to get some of the 2006 version.

You hit the nail on the head, Mickchik. It's like the chamois in the Attack shorts *feels* bulkier because the fabric on those shorts is somehow not strong enough to keep the chamois close to your body.

If you loved the 2005 Microsensors (retail $120), you can get them on sale now for about $80-90. :)

~Cari

kaian
03-13-2006, 11:34 AM
Where are the Microsensors on sale for that cheap? I may want to go that route!

Susan Otcenas
03-14-2006, 04:53 PM
Where are the Microsensors on sale for that cheap? I may want to go that route!

http://www.teamestrogen.com/products.asp?pID=12198

Limited sizes left.

Susan