PDA

View Full Version : Training on a tri bike

Lise
03-08-2006, 07:05 PM
I'm going to get a "real" tri bike this spring. So far I've done all but one of my tri's (3 Olys, 3 sprints) with my hybrid "city" bike. It's great for riding around the city, but I know a tri bike would be lighter and faster. My question is about training. I rode a friend's tri bike in the first tri I did. I didn't train on it though, because it so freaked me out to be bent over that far. It didn't feel very safe to ride on city streets because I couldn't see around me as well as I was used to.

So...where do you train? I'm guessing I'll ride the southern part of the lakefront path, which is less heavily travelled, or go out to the forest preserve on a weekday, where there's a nine mile loop with good visibility. It's a 45 min drive away, though, which is a pain. Do you just get used to being more bent over and develop the ability to see around you without having to lift up your head?
:confused:

Brina
03-09-2006, 03:47 AM
Knowing where you live I would go with the two options you have outlined. Due to weather I have not gotten out on my ruby yet, but I can't imagine being on my aerobars on the streets around here.

Nanci
03-09-2006, 06:45 AM
I don't ride a tri bike, but I ride in aerobars a lot, though in a road geometry, but BF rides a road bike that's been set up in tri geometry through a weird seatpost, etc.

I think your neck gets used to being in the position you can see in. It takes a while for the muscles to get accustomed to it, though. But then it feels natural.

Nanci

Lise
03-09-2006, 06:31 PM
This and another post...somewhere on here...have helped me decide that I'll probably get a road bike with aero bars, rather than a tri bike. I'm not a serious competitor, and I do want to be able to ride it on the road. Thanks, ladies. I've learned a lot, and I haven't even been to the LBS yet! (BTW, am I the only one who reads LBS as "pounds" when it's written "lbs"?!? :o ) L.

Brina
03-10-2006, 04:30 AM
Lise,

which LBS are you shopping?

I highly recommend Turin in Evanston - they do a great job on fit.

Lise
03-10-2006, 03:22 PM
Hey, Brina,

I have had good experiences with On The Route bikes here in Chicago (Lincoln, just south of Belmont). I've heard great things about Turin, too. Are you going to the Bike Show at Navy Pier on 3/25 & 26? They've got a free bike valet service--it's so expensive to park down there, I may as well ride!

Brina
03-10-2006, 05:03 PM
I would love to, but I am out of town on Sat, on a 7 am flight home Sunday, and I am sure by the time I get in my dh is going to want to disappear for a few hours. He will have been alone with the three kids since Thursday, which wouldn't be so bad, except I have to be out of town the following weekend as well. He is being a saint.

Lise
03-10-2006, 06:16 PM
He is being a saint.
You're right! Have a great time. L.