PDA

View Full Version : I'm being "adopted"

Running Mommy
03-08-2006, 06:51 PM
Hey There-
I think I posted at the begining of the week how I had been approached by IMNA to be a part of the "adopt and Ironman" program. It's a program where athletes go into a class that has "adopted" them and speaks about triathlon, being healthy, etc. They have you take your gear and explain it all to the kids. The kids are then encouraged to log their activity hours and after the race I'll go back and award the kids swag from Ironman. Prolly gatorade and timex stuff I'm guessing.. They also have a kids race the day before the big dance and all the kids get medals. It really is cool. Well they emailed me back and said that they had such a great response from athletes that they ran out of classes to send us to, so they asked us if we could find our own classroom. Well I sent an email to my sons teacher as well as the principal. His teacher is totally stoked for it, and the principal may have me come to speak to other classes as well. There are actually three third grade classes, so I'm going to propose speaking to all three and making a competition out of it. Class vs. class. Kids love that stuff!
Anyway, I'm TOTALLY stoked to be able to do this. I love encouraging kids to get active. Also we have a problem up here - well in my eyes anyway- with kids not wearing helmets. So I'm going to have a convo w/ them about the importance of wearing a helmet. It's wierd, I can't believe how many kids up here do not wear helemts??!! And in an upper middle class community w/ tons of stay at home moms who supposedly make their kids priority 1?? Go figure!!

Lise
03-08-2006, 06:58 PM
(Imagine some bouncy music) Ya hoo hoodly hoo! Ya hoodly hoodly hoo! Ya hoodly hoodly hoodly, hoo, ya hoodly hoodly hoo! (dachshund dance of joy. I just made it up.) :D ;) :D :rolleyes: :D YAY!

You will be great. You will save lives. Some lives through helmet wearing, others through a life of athleticism that will keep them from diabetes, heart disease, and depression. You will have a blast!!! Wa hoo! Your son will be proud of you, and some day he will grow up and pick a partner he's proud of, too! I see it all! :rolleyes:

(OK, I just did a bunch of stretches and pushups, and I feel calmer now)

I am so happy to hear of your adoption. I just knew they'd find a way to bring you in!

How are you feeling after a bit of rest?

Veronica
03-08-2006, 07:02 PM
I'm wishing you'd lived in Norcal, so you could talk to my class.

V.

SadieKate
03-08-2006, 07:10 PM
I think your idea of a little competition for the 3 classes is great. To think we had to square dance when I was that age. Where were you? :rolleyes: :D

Brina
03-09-2006, 03:45 AM
that is one cool program. you will have a blast and the kids - wow, how neat for them to meet you and learn about this awesome athletic undertaking.

mommelisa
03-09-2006, 07:11 AM
Denise - this is so cool! Let me know if you decide to make a career out of it and I'll have you come talk to my kid's classes too!

And I agree with you, btw, on the helmet thing. I do not allow the kids to ride without a helmet and they've pretty much gotten used to it, but they're the ONLY ones around here that wear them! My son has a friend who keeps his helmet here because he knows I will make him get off his bike if he's anywhere in my eyesight without a helmet. So, he comes here, puts it on and then rides around, but as soon as he leaves? The helmet comes off.

There is a guy in the group I ride with sometimes who was hit last week on his bike - thank God he had a helmet on, because he got pretty beat up, but at least his head is ok. I "lecture" my kids about that stuff everytime I hear something. Its SO important.

Running Mommy
03-09-2006, 08:59 AM
Hey Melisa if you want me to come talk to your kids classes I'd be glad to. Just shoot me an email and I'll email you the info from IMNA to give to the teacher. I'm stoked to be doing this. It's giving my race a *purpose*.
I just got an email from the Principal here and he is on board so I'm good to go.. :)
Now I just have to organize my thoughts on paper so that I can get everything across to them that I want to. lol
Well I'm off to the airport to pick up my cousin and her son from L.A. She is going to Bon Jovi w/ me tonight!! Can't wait!! whoo hoo!!

tprevost
03-09-2006, 09:22 AM
YOU are going to be SO inspirational!!!! I'm so happy that you will be able to share what you are doing with the kids! Plus the helmet thing is WAY important. I think it is actually a law here that kids on public streets under the age of 18 must wear a helmet. I still see kids (and adults) w/out one though and I quiz my boys.... "what did that rider forget????" - they always yell out "His Helmet!!!!". They only ride at the end of our cul-de-sac but I won't even let them roll the bikes out there w/out the noggin' protector!!!

Congrats! What a great way to make a big difference :D

Trac'

tprevost
03-09-2006, 09:24 AM
...forgot to say HAVE A GREAT TIME TONIGHT!!! And don't get arrested! ;)

T~

CorsairMac
03-09-2006, 10:05 AM
That is so waaaaay cool!! What in inspiration for the kids and what a great motivator for you! Let us know how it goes!

Lise: Love the little dachsund dance lol!