PDA

View Full Version : NORBA EXPERTS, give me your training plan...

madisongrrl
03-08-2006, 10:17 AM
For those of you who are racing mountain bikes in the expert class, what is your training plan? What type of workouts are you doing right now? How many hours/week do you put in? How many miles do you log? How many interval sessoins/week are your doing? etc.

madisongrrl
03-11-2006, 08:47 AM
We have no expert mountain bike racers on TE? How about those who ride sport class?

han-grrl
03-11-2006, 08:37 PM
Hi

I used to ride sport category in the Ontario cup series...

for training i did many many differerent types of workouts: long slow distance, intervals of every shape and type, skills riding, road riding...

i kept track of my workouts, my heart rates, my cadence (when applicable) and how much of of my planned workout i completed (if i was supposed to do 2 sets of 10 intervals, whether they were all completed, how they felt...)

I worked with a coach for much of this to move my racing forward. it helped.

depending on your goals and abilities, youhave to set aside a fair bit of training time to advance. i got out what i put in (i didn't do great, but i held my own).

also in their, some mental training...that was probably my biggest weakness at the beginning, being hardest on myself...

i hope this helps?

Hannah

mellic
03-12-2006, 10:32 PM
Okay I have been trying to avoid responding to this post because training is a tough question. I race in the elite class here, but if I was riding over there I'm sure I would race expert.

Hmmmmm.....where to start. I think training comes down to what you want to achieve in your season. Do you want to compete at optimal fitness levels for the entire season, or do you want to exceed the optimal and go for the peak fitness level during a small portion of your season.

Last year was my first year racing in elite and my aim was to compete all year round and get as many points as I could. I trained hard through the preseason and I wanted to be close to my best at the start of the season and hold it right the way through. At the beginning of the season I was doing okay, but as the season progressed my performance just stayed the same or went backwards. After speaking to a few professionals I found out that by training in this manner you only ever reach about 70% of what you are capable of. It is fine if you are trying to take out a point series, but not good if you want to aim to win certain events.

So I changed my focus for this season, which starts in April. This season I want to see what a peak level of fitness at a certain time in the season will bring. I have had to detrain myself, build a baseline of fitness, and then finally increase the intensity to build on the baseline. My baseline training consisted of low intensity long duration rides, and then as I started training I had to lower the duration and increase the intensity.

Right now I ride 5-6 days a week. I do 3-4 rides on the road bike (1 long ride, 1-2 moderate intensity shorter rides, 1 interval ride), and then I do 2 mtb rides (1 long, 1 shorter and technical).

All my training has been monitored and I work to set times, distances, heart rates, and cadences.

I really cannot give too much detail as I will be here all day explaining. I would get a copy of The Mountain Biker's Training Bible by Joe Friel. This book has been a great help to me.

madisongrrl
03-13-2006, 07:53 AM
Thank you guys for the replies. I race in the Wors series here in Wisconsin. We have a few (I think 5 or so) NORBA pro riders that tend to show up on a semi regular basis. The pros don't have their own category for Wors, they just get lumped in expert....so it can be a pretty tough class. I just wanted to get a rough idea of the type of hours/workouts that need to be put in to compete in this class like this.