PDA

View Full Version : Hot Yoga

VeganBikeChick
10-12-2015, 08:18 PM
In the spirit of keeping the boards alive I'm posting :). Went to a hot yoga class tonight. I haven't been in a very long time, and never got past the beginner stage. I have never been a physically "fit" person. Tonight's class was so, so hard for me, but I'm so proud that I went. I usually back out at the last minute because I psych myself out by thinking that people will be looking at/judging me. I still didn't fit into the class demographic tonight, but right now IDGAF. I'm about to turn 40 and I'm really liking my carefree, not worrying what others think attitude (that I've never experienced before).

yellow
10-13-2015, 05:15 AM
IDGAF is a great attitude. It definitely becomes easier as you get older. I am hoping that it is automatic by the time I am 55! For me the hardest parts have been watching my skin change and feeling myself slow down. I look forward to the day that IDGAF when I look in the mirror and see all that sagging, the wrinkling, and those dysfunctional pores!

Yoga is one of the most underrated cross training exercises. In addition to being relaxing and all that, it can do amazing things for balance and stability because you use all those little muscles that don't otherwise get much love. I am not a fan of hot yoga, but I try to do at least 30 minutes of regular yoga few times a week. I am convinced that it was the conditioning I needed to finally push an injured hamstring into the "healed" category (this was a few years back). I suspect pilates has similar benefit, but I love yoga for the stretching aspect since my flexibility is like that of a breaker bar :p

I typically do yoga at home, mostly for $$ reasons (and I can't go for a full 90 minute class--just hurts my back too much). When I have gone to classes, I never felt like anyone cared what anyone else was doing, which I think is due to the mindset of the typical person who does yoga (and the fact that I always go to lower-level classes). It probably varies by studio, too, but I don't have a lot of experience studio-hopping. I love the Yoga Studio app. It was recently purchased by Gaiam, but they did not change the app (which is good--it's perfect in its simplicity).

Keep at it! WDGAF!!!

Crankin
10-13-2015, 05:34 AM
I am so happy to be going back to my old health club, where they have great yoga classes and, more of them. My balance and strength improved immensely when I was regularly going. And that, only helps my cycling and skiing. I mostly, also have been practicing at home. I did one summer a few years ago, of a yoga/meditation class at a yoga studio. I was leery, but sad when it was over. Then the studio moved, and it's just too far away for me to go there.
I have never felt judged in a yoga class, but sometimes I get annoyed by the "earthy-crunchy" vibe that is permeating the room. It doesn't always happen, but since you don't have to be like that to like yoga, I try to control my thoughts!
I am very flexible, but yoga is not always easy for me. My balance has never been good, and that is not a function of getting older; in fact it has improved a lot since I started cycling and and more advanced x country skiing. But doing an extended tree pose pushes me. I will never do hot yoga, though. I get really out of whack from any exercise in the heat, and I imagine that I would be feeling faint and having heart palpitations pretty quickly. I can build up to cycling in the heat, but I'd rather enjoy yoga than subject myself to doing it in the heat.

ny biker
10-13-2015, 10:04 AM
What is the benefit of doing hot yoga vs comfortable-temperature yoga?

I also don't like working out in the heat, particularly indoors. I prefer cycling in summer than winter but typically plan routes with enough shade and air conditioned rest stops to keep myself from overheating. But I really wish they would turn the heat down and get rid of the hot overhead lights at my gym in the winter -- it would save them money and be more comfortable.

On the other topic, we recently had a big meeting at work and as an ice breaker they started by asking us questions like if you could go anywhere on vacation where would it be and what is your favorite spectator sport. People gave some answers and then we voted to see what was most popular. When they asked if you could be any age what would it be, a woman behind me said 40. Two women sitting next to her and I were the only people in the room who voted for that, and we all agreed on how nice it was to NGAF about what people think anymore. By the end of the exercise it was clear that I am a total outlier among my co-workers since I didn't agree with most of the answers they gave to all the questions, but fortunately IDGAF.

emily_in_nc
10-13-2015, 11:51 AM
At the couple of yoga studios I've practiced at, I can tell you that no one is paying attention to you or judging you...I promise. If they are, then they're not paying attention to what they should be: their breath, coordinating breath with movement, and their own form. I have enough to concentrate on than to look at what anyone else is doing! Plus, in many cases your drishdi (probably spelled wrong, but means gaze) is supposed to be towards the floor or kept very dim (lids partially closed) so you literally can't see anyone but yourself!

I think the idea behind hot yoga is that it keeps your muscles and joints very warm for flexibility. The practice I go to here in Mexico is not Bikram, but it's in a studio without A/C or even a fan, in a hot climate, so it is essentially that. Most days I sweat like crazy. I have a towel on top of my mat so I won't slide around, and it is totally damp at the end of the practice, along with my clothes, hair, etc. During the more active parts of the 90 minute practice, I am dripping sweat and wiping it off my face (and sometimes arms and legs) with a bandanna frequently. I really don't enjoy this part of yoga and would much rather practice in a cooler room, but I love the instructor and location (easy walk for me), so I keep going.

As far as demographics, as a 54-year old American in a class full of 20-30 something Latinas and Europeans, conducted in Spanish, I am completely, totally off-the-charts "different", but I am definitely at the age if IDGAF! I'm doing it for me, not for anyone else.

Good for you for going, VBC. And ny biker, I think if I could pick any age to be at this moment, 40 would be great! I had no idea how "young" I was then. Like yellow mentioned, I look at my wrinkles, sagging skin, and see how much more injury-prone I seem to be now and realize how wonderful my 40s really were now that I'm in my 50s!

Crankin
10-13-2015, 05:30 PM
At 40 I was just starting my downhill slide into pre-menopausal overweight and getting burned out on exercise. At 45 I was 20 pounds overweight and being told to "accept it." Well. I did not. I don't want to be what I was at 35, which was looking like a skeleton, but I think if I had to pick my favorite age, it would be 50. I still feel that I am in better shape now, at just about 62, than I was at 40. Maybe my face looked a little younger at 40 or 45, but not by much. I hate looking at pictures of myself from that decade. I lost the same ten pounds for both of kids' Bar Mitzvahs and the first one's HS grad. I had started cycling about 7 months before his graduation. By the time the second graduated from HS, I was pretty much in the shape I am in now, at 49, almost 50.
And, I have always subscribed to the IDGAF philosophy. It's just easier to do this as you age!

OakLeaf
10-13-2015, 05:58 PM
I wish there was a good studio closer to me. My favorite studio had to close its doors this spring and the amazing teacher left town. :( :( I've been doing videos reasonably regularly, there are some really good teachers on YogaGlo, but I need instruction at least once in a while.

I've never done hot yoga. I haven't heard much good about it, either, frankly. A warm environment is good for injury prevention (my teacher always said 85F is ideal and that it isn't safe to do hot yoga more than occasionally). But if you like it, go for it!

emily_in_nc
10-14-2015, 11:09 AM
At 40 I was just starting my downhill slide into pre-menopausal overweight and getting burned out on exercise. At 45 I was 20 pounds overweight and being told to "accept it." Well. I did not. I don't want to be what I was at 35, which was looking like a skeleton, but I think if I had to pick my favorite age, it would be 50. I still feel that I am in better shape now, at just about 62, than I was at 40. Maybe my face looked a little younger at 40 or 45, but not by much. I hate looking at pictures of myself from that decade. I lost the same ten pounds for both of kids' Bar Mitzvahs and the first one's HS grad. I had started cycling about 7 months before his graduation. By the time the second graduated from HS, I was pretty much in the shape I am in now, at 49, almost 50.
And, I have always subscribed to the IDGAF philosophy. It's just easier to do this as you age!

LOL, I like that! :D :cool:

I guess we've all had our ups and downs. In my case, I gradually gained weight in my 30s as we got busy with house stuff, and I didn't cycle or anything else as much as I should have. Sometime during the year I was 39, I remember making a vow to myself that I would not be "fat and 40", so I joined a gym and started eating low-carb. (I was a bit ahead of my time on that one; everyone thought I was crazy, but it worked!) By age 40 or 41, I'd lost 15 lbs, bought an entirely new "chic" wardrobe and was fit and healthy. I started cycling a lot more around age 42 and loved it; got stronger and faster. Since I had my serious cycling accident at age 44 and fractured my pelvis, ten years ago now, I've had more physical issues related to that. So my best years physically were from ages 40-43, I'd have to say.

I did have a really good year in 2014 (age 53) with 7500 miles ridden and got to my lowest adult weight without even trying (and eating a ton!) but I had more aches and pains than when I was younger, which is I guess to be expected. 2015 so far has not been a good one physically for a variety of reasons (some I documented in "Thread Drift"), and that of course affects my mental state.

Crankin
10-14-2015, 03:19 PM
Emily, I also have more physical issues, too, mostly from the unnamed autoimmune stuff I have. But, I figure what I do, is more than what 98% percent of the people do. My SI joint aches most of the time, and I am always addressing that with stretching, heat, etc. Hoping more yoga will help, too. I am sick of Walter, my PT, and haven't seen him since May. I started aching Monday night, sinuses, eyes itchy, etc. I should not have ridden yesterday, but I did. This morning I felt awful, but I got out there for 11 miles and then went on a 3 mile strenuous hike with a friend. I should probably rest a little more, but I know these things go in phases for me, so I would rather ride less, than not ride, since eventually, the snow will come... but I still feel like I am better shape than at 45 or so.

emily_in_nc
10-14-2015, 07:12 PM
Emily, I also have more physical issues, too, mostly from the unnamed autoimmune stuff I have. But, I figure what I do, is more than what 98% percent of the people do. My SI joint aches most of the time, and I am always addressing that with stretching, heat, etc. Hoping more yoga will help, too. I am sick of Walter, my PT, and haven't seen him since May. I started aching Monday night, sinuses, eyes itchy, etc. I should not have ridden yesterday, but I did. This morning I felt awful, but I got out there for 11 miles and then went on a 3 mile strenuous hike with a friend. I should probably rest a little more, but I know these things go in phases for me, so I would rather ride less, than not ride, since eventually, the snow will come... but I still feel like I am better shape than at 45 or so.

You're certainly right that you do more than 98% of people -- in any age range!

Your SI joint sounds like my back, which is perpetually achy. Sometimes I wonder if yoga is making it worse, not better, but I won't know without stopping yoga for a good amount of time to see if it "heals", and I'm not willing to do that just now, since I do appreciate the increased flexibility and strength I get from the practice. But it's a fairly advanced practice (or seems like it to me), and I'm older than anyone else, so I wonder if it's just a bit too intense for my back.

Sorry you're feeling kinda bad...I am with you that it's hard to take time off. I get very itchy if I don't get my workouts in!

rocknrollgirl
10-15-2015, 02:39 AM
YEA! A yoga thread. I have wanted to start one, but well, you know....

I have practiced on and off for years, and about a year ago we decided to stop swimming for a while and I got serious about it. Now I practice 3-4 times a week. Three times at my studio that offers both hot and cool classes. They have two dedicated rooms. They offer a wide variety from Hot Power Vinyassa to Cool restorative.

I have to say it has changed my life in all aspects. Aside from improving my running and cycling, all my niggles are gone and I feel more focused and positive.

I have NEVER felt judged at my studio. I could very likely practice between one of my current high school students and a 70 year old that can throw a side crow like nobody's business. The instructors are hands on and SO supportive. They know us all by name, and every Thursday they have free community classes. In the summer we had classes and workshops outside with food and music. It is awesome. I love the sense of community with the other members.

It is not cheap, but when I look at the ROI, it is so worth it. Not to mention what it has done for my body as far as muscle definition!

So yea for yoga and namaste to all of you!!!

Oh and as far as age, I am 54, and in better shape than ever. Like Yellow, not thrilled about the skin changes, but I think a woman that feels beautiful is beautiful at any age, so I am sticking with that. I think I would not go back more than five years, maybe to get a little of my t op end speed back, but other than that...happy to be where I am.

Crankin
10-15-2015, 04:19 AM
Emily, I am trying to just deal with it. We just planned our vacation for next summer, which will be a family vacation, with both sons and DILs, AND a visit from my former exchange student, his wife, and new baby! We are renting a house on the beach in Morro Bay, CA, so I don't have the pressure of getting ready for a trip with mountain passes! There is plenty of hiking around there, and we could always rent bikes, but I am glad to be focusing on local stuff this year. We will do our trip to the Berkshires, before we go to CA, so that is plenty of hills for me.
Going to yoga at the new club tomorrow.

emily_in_nc
10-15-2015, 06:54 AM
....Oh and as far as age, I am 54, and in better shape than ever. Like Yellow, not thrilled about the skin changes, but I think a woman that feels beautiful is beautiful at any age, so I am sticking with that. I think I would not go back more than five years, maybe to get a little of my t op end speed back, but other than that...happy to be where I am.

That's great RnR! I have been doing yoga on and off for several years, but usually more in the 1-2 x a week range, and then weeks/months at a time with none when life intervenes or we're too busy traveling. I have read and heard that to achieve real gains, you really need to up it to a minimum of 3x a week and stick with it, none of this taking months off at a time like I've done. Kinda like cycling, eh?

I practiced twice a week for five months here last winter/spring and did make gains, but I am making more strides now that I've been going 3x a week since the first week in August. I was SO sore at first and felt like I was starting all over again. If I can keep it up and not get sidelined by injuries/illness, I can see that my strength, flexibility, and hopefully balance (one my biggest challenges) will improve further.

I found myself nodding when you mentioned the 70 year old woman and the side crow as where I practiced in Belize, there was a 72-year old tiny lady who was AMAZING. She could do many, many things I couldn't, including a beautiful side crow, and sneaking peaks at her only proved to me that age is only a number. With yoga just like cycling, running, and many other disciplines, consistency and time are key.

You are the exact same age as me, so you give me hope! :D

emily_in_nc
10-15-2015, 06:56 AM
Emily, I am trying to just deal with it. We just planned our vacation for next summer, which will be a family vacation, with both sons and DILs, AND a visit from my former exchange student, his wife, and new baby! We are renting a house on the beach in Morro Bay, CA, so I don't have the pressure of getting ready for a trip with mountain passes! There is plenty of hiking around there, and we could always rent bikes, but I am glad to be focusing on local stuff this year. We will do our trip to the Berkshires, before we go to CA, so that is plenty of hills for me.
Going to yoga at the new club tomorrow.

Sounds like a fun family trip, Crankin!

You'll have to update us re. the yoga practice. Hope it goes well!

rocknrollgirl
10-15-2015, 07:54 AM
Emily,
It is funny, I can do all the hard stuff like crow, and side crow and all the koudinyasanas, strength is not my issue. I am SO tight in my hips and hamstrings. Partly genetic and partly from running and cycling. So the 85 degree classes really help with my flexibility.

So like sitting in staff pose, awful. Sitting with a wide leg straddle awful. Chataranga....easy peasy.

OakLeaf
10-15-2015, 09:47 AM
Ha, that is so me. Just in the last few months I've started getting some serious work done on the psoas and iliacus and it's made an ENORMOUS difference in both my running and my yoga. It's kind of intimate and very uncomfortable to have someone's fingers digging around in your abdominal cavity, so you've got to trust your bodyworker, but I can't even begin to describe what a difference it's made. Those muscles can be so tight and full of adhesions, especially in people who if they're not sitting, are working mostly in the sagittal plane. All the yoga in the world won't release adhesions - I could stay in Wheel all day long, but I couldn't get my right foot to stop turning out and I couldn't get my lumbar spine to bend at all in any direction. It's so different now!! Just last month I was able to get my sit bones on the ground in Staff pose for the very first time.

(But I still can't do Sundial. :p Although I got the closest I have yet the other day - now I don't remember how the teacher instructed getting into it, there are so many different ways and I seem to get along much better with some procedures than other.)

Crankin
10-15-2015, 04:53 PM
Oak, who is doing your bodywork? What kind of practitioner?

emily_in_nc
10-15-2015, 06:27 PM
Emily,
It is funny, I can do all the hard stuff like crow, and side crow and all the koudinyasanas, strength is not my issue. I am SO tight in my hips and hamstrings. Partly genetic and partly from running and cycling. So the 85 degree classes really help with my flexibility.

So like sitting in staff pose, awful. Sitting with a wide leg straddle awful. Chataranga....easy peasy.

My strength is getting there but certainly not where yours is. We don't even attempt koudinyasanas in the practices I do (in fact, I had to google it to see what they were -- eeek!) Chataranga, planks, etc. no problem, but I'm only middling on crow, can't do side crow yet. My flexibility is actually pretty good. Staff pose, no problem. Recently during a seated forward bend, my instructor could tell I was almost there with chest fully on legs, so he came and gently pushed my back down to help me "get there", and that felt SO GOOD on my back, I could not believe it. I have always had tight hamstrings, but they have certainly improved in this practice!

The poses that are the very hardest for me are anything involving the hip flexor. I am very weak there, especially on the right, from the surgery I had on my ilium on that side. So anything with lifting the legs to the front while standing I have a very hard time with. I used to not even be able to step all the way through from downward dog to a lunge on the right side without assisting my leg with my hand, but thankfully I finally am able to do that, and now it seems incredible that I ever couldn't, but that's how weak I used to be on that side in the hip flexor, even though my quad was strong from cycling.

One thing I've definitely learned is that every student in the practice has weaker and stronger skills in certain areas. Movements and poses that are super difficult for me are easy for some in the practice, and vice versa. That is why I am so in awe of yoga instructors as they are super strong, super flexible, and have amazing balance as well.

It's generally in the mid-upper 70s during my practice (in the morning), but with the humidity, the heat index is in the 80s if not 90s, depending on time of year, so that does help a lot with flexibility. But boy do I sweat!

emily_in_nc
10-15-2015, 06:32 PM
(But I still can't do Sundial. :p Although I got the closest I have yet the other day - now I don't remember how the teacher instructed getting into it, there are so many different ways and I seem to get along much better with some procedures than other.)

I had to look it up as I don't always know all the names for the poses, especially since the practice I go to is conducted in Spanish, but I realized that YES, I can actually do Sundial! We did it in a couple of practices in the past two weeks, first time ever for me, and I even got a "muy bien" (very good) from the instructor. So, there are "easier" things I can't do, but this is something I can do. :)

That's wonderful about your bodywork, Oak. Glad it's made such a difference for you!

VeganBikeChick
10-15-2015, 06:38 PM
I'm so glad to hear about all the great responses to this thread! Hot yoga might not be the *best* for the body, but it gets me up and sweating, and meditating, and I feel so good afterwards. I run cold all the time, so there's nothing better than walking into a hot room, sweating my head off, and coming out feeling hot. It's such a relief from always being freezing.

My favorite pose is savasana, or corpse pose :D. My least favorite is downward dog - because I have a very weak core/nonexistent upper arm strength. I'm hoping to someday be able to do vinyasa, after I get over my extreme dislike of downward dog, since vinyasa is all about chataurangas.

Flirty&Fit
10-16-2015, 12:41 AM
I absolutely LOVE hot yoga. My problem is that if I am going too often (like 3 times a week) I lose weight. I realize this will make people want to punch me through the computer screen, but it actually is a problem for me. I want to maintain a healthy weight like anyone else, which means I have to be careful not to lose. Yes there is another side to the struggle people, and I know that some of you know what I am talking about.

I find that when I run or bike I don't have the same problem, but then again I am assuming with hot yoga it has to do with losing water weight through sweating.

Either way, hot yoga is my favourite way to exercise and I am really looking forward to finding a good studio in the city that I am currently living in.

rocknrollgirl
10-16-2015, 02:29 AM
. Staff pose, no problem. Recently during a seated forward bend, my instructor could tell I was almost there with chest fully on legs, so he came and gently pushed my back down to help me "get there", and that felt SO GOOD on my back, I could not believe it. I have always had tight hamstrings, but they have certainly improved in this practice!

Emily,
Together you and I would make the perfect yogi!

I don't think hot yoga is bad for your body. I just think it needs to be kept in balance like all exercise. My teachers are very careful with the hot classes and always say..."hot rules are in effect". We only have 1 class that goes over 95 degrees.

I do have to be careful in the summer. If I run in the heat and take a hot class the same day I can get light headed. I have low blood pressure. So in those situations, I always drink electrolytes during class. I did take more cool classes this summer because of it.

rocknrollgirl
10-16-2015, 02:30 AM
Oak, who is doing your bodywork? What kind of practitioner?

I was wondering the same thing.

OakLeaf
10-16-2015, 05:06 AM
My massage therapist is doing most of the hip flexor work. I'm seeing a new guy this summer and we're getting a lot of really good work done. It was actually my Florida LMT who first suggested doing my psoas after a few years of working together and building trust, but now that I know what it's about, I asked my Ohio guy to do them once I'd seen him enough times to feel comfortable. I think he might not have done them if I hadn't asked. Which makes me think about an article in one of their trade magazines I was looking at in his waiting room, talking about how a lot of LMTs don't even do glutes because of the perceived intimacy. The author's take was that that was ridiculous because they're such an important muscle group, and I agree, but then again I think there can be a pretty big divide between LMTs who see themselves as health care professionals, and those who see themselves as working in the beauty industry. Plus, I know for myself I'm shyer about the deep hip rotators and adductors, which probably need more work than I'm asking him for right now.

I also started seeing an AMAZING new chiropractor. She has credentials out the wazoo - among other things, she worked on the US Olympic Team at Salt Lake City, which takes a special certification from the IOC - as well as the Ohio State football team (which she might guilt me out of watching football before it's all over) - and she kind of works more like an osteopath than any DC I've been to before. A lot of ART on the shoulders (ow) and a lot of easing the vertebrae and pelvic bones into position, very little cracking.

I guess all in all, I'd recommend to any cyclist or runner, if you have a LMT you trust, ask them to at least check your psoas and iliacus. Those muscles almost can't help but be involved in any back, hip or even breathing problem (the psoas has fascial connections to the diaphragm too, and I'm definitely breathing more easily and fully since we started working on them). You can get a pretty good idea of the state of your iliacus on your own, by digging your fingers just inside the rim of the pelvic bowl, through the transversus.

emily_in_nc
10-16-2015, 03:49 PM
My favorite pose is savasana, or corpse pose :D. My least favorite is downward dog - because I have a very weak core/nonexistent upper arm strength. I'm hoping to someday be able to do vinyasa, after I get over my extreme dislike of downward dog, since vinyasa is all about chataurangas.

Tee hee, I love savasana too (though today I had to squelch an incredible urge to scratch my nose!) but I also loooooove downward dog. That one is easy for me, which is a good thing, since my instructor relies on it a LOT. And I love chatarangas. The practice I go to is a blend of many different styles but always has a long vinyasa sequence after the warm up, and that is one of my favorite parts. It was much tougher when I started out, though. Patience and persistence is key!

emily_in_nc
10-16-2015, 03:51 PM
. Staff pose, no problem. Recently during a seated forward bend, my instructor could tell I was almost there with chest fully on legs, so he came and gently pushed my back down to help me "get there", and that felt SO GOOD on my back, I could not believe it. I have always had tight hamstrings, but they have certainly improved in this practice!

Emily,
Together you and I would make the perfect yogi!

I don't think hot yoga is bad for your body. I just think it needs to be kept in balance like all exercise. My teachers are very careful with the hot classes and always say..."hot rules are in effect". We only have 1 class that goes over 95 degrees.

I do have to be careful in the summer. If I run in the heat and take a hot class the same day I can get light headed. I have low blood pressure. So in those situations, I always drink electrolytes during class. I did take more cool classes this summer because of it.

Haha, yes we do make a perfect yogi together. :D

I can't imagine running and doing yoga in the same day. For me it is an either/or thing. Walking and yoga, yes, but not running. They both take too much out of me, and I sweat quarts doing each one.

Crankin
10-16-2015, 05:22 PM
OK, I went to a 1.5 hour Hatha class today. It was way too easy, but the kind of stretching I need. Plus, my SI joint is killing me.
So much more professional, and the instructor remembered me from 6 years ago. Except for one couple that was there, I was the youngest person in the class. Of course, it was at 11:45 AM, so, who else would be there? I will be trying out some other classes in the future. This time is going to be kind of tricky, as one of my clients was at the gym, doing a group training class, while I was on the treadmill and elliptical. I had already told her I was joining, and we agreed not to acknowledge each other.
Oak, I agree about the intimacy thing. The first PT I went to, in 2007, was a former racer and spent a lot of time working on my psoas and groin. I don't think my current PT would do this! But, the other good thing about the new gym, is there is a fantastic LMT there, who my friend has worked with since he broke his hip.

emily_in_nc
10-17-2015, 09:40 AM
OK, I went to a 1.5 hour Hatha class today. It was way too easy, but the kind of stretching I need. Plus, my SI joint is killing me.

I'm sorry to hear that, Crankin! An easy, long yoga practice does sound nice, though. In Belize there was a "restorative" practice on Sunday mornings that was like that. Sometimes it was exactly what I needed. And I'd like something like that now, while I'm nursing an injury, my back is sore, etc. The practice I go to is so intense that I have to really gear myself up to go if I am not feeling 100% physically.

OakLeaf
10-17-2015, 01:22 PM
Not the most reliable of sources, but this (http://www.rodalesorganiclife.com/wellbeing/there-anything-safe-organic-about-hot-yoga?cid=soc_Rodale%27s%20Organic%20Life%20-%20RodalesOrganicLife_FBPAGE_Rodale%27s%20Organic%20Life__) does confirm some of what I've been told about the dangers of hot yoga.

It's easy to say "just leave if you don't feel good," but even I've had a teacher who gave lip service to the idea of protecting oneself, but would "gently" urge his students to go "a little farther," and literally every time I went to one of his classes I'd injure myself. Fortunately nothing that didn't heal in a few days, but I finally just had to stop going to his classes, because it never felt unsafe to the point where, emotionally, I was ready to stop; it was just physically unsafe.

Non-Bikram hot studios may well be less rigid about letting practitioners drink water, and about calling 911 when it's warranted. Just be careful!!

Crankin, hope your SI feels better soon.

rocknrollgirl
10-17-2015, 01:30 PM
We are a non Bikram studio for sure. They encourage us to drink and take a break in child's pose AND to not spend all our time in the hot room. They teach balance at my studio. I am pretty lucky to have such an awesome place so close by.

VeganBikeChick
10-21-2015, 08:06 PM
I made it to another class tonight. I really love the girl that teaches on Tuesdays and Wednesdays. She is so positive and leaves us with things to think about in a positive way while we're practicing. Tonight it was an Eckhart Tolle quote at the end of class. The only downside is that her classes are jam-packed. Literally wall to wall hot sweaty bodies. There wasn't even a foot between my mat & my neighbor's. I don't know if I'll be able to continue if all of her classes are like that. I really enjoy a tiny bit of personal space.

rocknrollgirl
10-22-2015, 02:26 AM
Well,
I walked out of a class tonight. First time ever. Our beloved teacher of the afternoon classes left to get a "real" job, and they have replaced her with other teachers that will not work for me. The instructor did not do anything "wrong", but when you look around the room and only half the people are with you and the other half are in child's pose, something it wrong. And there was no mindful component at all. Just really hard poses and zero warm up.

So I was going to try and stick it out and finish the last 25 mins and I just said to myself. Why? Why am I forcing myself to finish a yoga class I hate and that might actually hurt me. So I rolled up my mat and left.

Crankin
10-22-2015, 05:13 AM
There is a difference in being a good technical instructor and being a "teacher," as you, I am sure of, are well aware of. Someone who is not scanning the class, to observe how everyone is doing, is not a good "teacher." I am always intensely aware of this when I go to the gym, as well as when I've taken classes/workshops for my job. This is one of the downsides of being so tuned in to teaching practices...

emily_in_nc
10-22-2015, 11:59 AM
VBC, I totally understand. I am the only gringa in the practice I go to, and I find that Latin Americans and Europeans have a different need for personal space than I do. The studio is pretty huge, but without fail, the person who puts her (or very occasionally, his) mat next to mine is no more than a foot away. We do stagger them so the fronts are not all at the same spot or we'd be hitting each other constantly, but it still bugs me. I always get there early so I can get the end of the row, so at least I have someone only on one side. But because of how people place their mats, even if there is only a small group of us in the practice (3-5 plus the instructor), we're all clumped up together. It's so strange and one of the only things I don't like about the place I go. Worst part is when we are doing lying twists at the end. I don't like other people's sweaty arms or especially feet on my mat, and it's almost impossible to avoid with the way the mats are spaced. I make very sure I move far to the one side of my mat so I won't infringe on someone else's mat, but others aren't always so conscientious.

RnR, that's a real shame. Our instructor is constantly checking on student's form and assisting, and he does a good long warm-up. The only thing he doesn't do that the instructor in Belize I used to go to did, is ask at the beginning of the class if anyone has any injuries. I have had so many small injuries I always try to mention whatever it is to him before class so he won't wonder if I'm not doing something I usually do, or only doing it on one side. Sounds like you need to find another studio or time to go so that you get a different instructor. Sorry!

rocknrollgirl
10-22-2015, 04:22 PM
I've been to that class! No progression of warm-up, and most of the people just sat and bowed down (pun intended).

So I went to class again today. I took 2 of my students ( high school seniors) to free beginner class. Before class I had a chance to talk to one of my other favorite instructors about what happened last night with the new teacher. She did not seem surprised at all. I told her that I had emailed the owner to point out that if the new teachers taking over the afternoon classes are going to push this hard, then there needs to be an alternative for the students every day. She agreed with me and said the owner had texted her today to ask if she was available for more classes.

So maybe, with a little persistence, I can get a class or two added to the afternoon. Choices....choices are good.

The good news is the beginner class was lovely and my students loved it.

OakLeaf
10-23-2015, 08:21 AM
RnR, that's too bad about your favorite teacher, but hopefully the owner will be responsive. Glad you and your students had a good experience at the beginner class though.

I'm not a big fan of a crowded studio either, but I figure the teachers and the owners have to eat, too, so when the class is crowded, I just let myself be glad for them and deal with having to keep my feet restrained in balancing postures. :p

I've been slacking off. It's that time of year when it's too cold to practice outdoors, so now I have to get over the feeling of wastefulness running the space heater for an hour to get my room warm enough to practice (and I'm talking 75 and leaving my wool on). Plus, I need to get my kite hung, I never did bother all summer long, just used one porch swing hook to invert in it and didn't do any other aerial work. Really need to work on upper back strength, and aerial is so great for that.

rocknrollgirl
10-25-2015, 01:59 PM
Skipped class today. I hate to miss on Sunday, but I only have an hour between running and yoga. I opted for food today ( see post in running thread about massive blood sugar crash). Poached eggs instead of down dog. Oh well, sometimes food wins.

emily_in_nc
10-25-2015, 02:45 PM
Yes it does!

That brings up a question I have. Have any of you had your instructor recommend not eating before a morning yoga practice? The class I go to is from 8:30 to 10 am and is pretty intense, especially with the heat and humidity. Our instructor pretty much insists we don't eat beforehand because of some of the breathing exercises.

I get up around 6:30 am normally, and I cannot NOT eat breakfast prior to going to class. I always keep it healthy and not heavy (whole-grain cereal with fresh fruit, a few chopped walnuts, a teaspoon of chia seed on top and coffee), and I don't feel it causes me any issues during the practice (I don't have to pee or anything). If I didn't eat breakfast until after 10 am, I am not sure I could make it through practice!

Just curious how common this is.

rocknrollgirl
10-25-2015, 04:35 PM
If it is not bothering you, I say stick with what you are doing. I need to be at least 2 hours out from class, otherwise it will threaten to come back up. Our teacher recomend 2 hours.

If it ain't broke.....

VeganBikeChick
10-26-2015, 04:31 PM
I just found out the awesome teacher who teaches my favorite yoga class is ending her teaching at the end of 2015. I'm so sad! She was the one who got me so motivated to continue to come to classes. Unfortunately she's starting her own personal business so won't be teaching any more classes anywhere. I don't know if I should go for a full membership with the studio I was attending now. She was the reason I looked forward to my classes.

rocknrollgirl
10-27-2015, 02:26 AM
I just found out the awesome teacher who teaches my favorite yoga class is ending her teaching at the end of 2015. I'm so sad! She was the one who got me so motivated to continue to come to classes. Unfortunately she's starting her own personal business so won't be teaching any more classes anywhere. I don't know if I should go for a full membership with the studio I was attending now. She was the reason I looked forward to my classes.

I am right there with you in the same boat. I am floundering now trying to make things work. Mt membership is up on 12/3, so I am thinking that of some changes do not take place at the studio soon, I will leave and go back to home practice.

emily_in_nc
10-27-2015, 04:03 PM
If it is not bothering you, I say stick with what you are doing. I need to be at least 2 hours out from class, otherwise it will threaten to come back up. Our teacher recomend 2 hours.

If it ain't broke.....

Yeah, that's my thinking, and I really can't "discuss" it with him since there's a significant language barrier (he's an Italian but also speaks Spanish, which is what the class is conducted in, and my Spanish is rudimentary). So, I just keep doing what I'm doing. I eat around an hour beforehand and have never had any near reversals. :D

Crankin
10-28-2015, 06:39 AM
That must be really hard, Emily.

emily_in_nc
10-28-2015, 01:29 PM
That must be really hard, Emily.

Do you mean the language thing? Yes, it's challenging but good for my brain since I am not working -- keeps me on my toes. :-) Before I ever dared to go, I studied up on body parts as well as yoga terms in general in Spanish, and at first I had to really watch others in the practice to make sure I was doing what the instructor said. But now I get about 80% of what he says and from context can figure out most of the rest of it. Now, on the few occasions where they brought in a different instructor, it is much harder since they don't always use the same expressions as Marco!

What is still hard is when he goes into an aside, normally after practice but occasionally during, and starts explaining something or philosophizing. It's the "off script" stuff and the casual socializing that is difficult. I've been studying Spanish for awhile, but it is a slow process. The normal cues for poses and such are repetitive and tend to be spoken more slowly, so are much easier to master.

Crankin
10-28-2015, 02:45 PM
Yes, I am OK with rudimentary, tourist Spanish. But, whenever I need a verb (or a different tense) I cannot answer or participate in a conversation! I can usually understand through context. DH and I really want to do an immersion program for at least 2-3 weeks. But, at least I can go into a store and get by in Spanish. When we rented the apt. in Italy, I was totally illiterate and did not understand that you need to weigh your produce and put a price on it before you bring it to the cashier. The cashier started yelling at me, so i just said "No parlo Italiano," and she took me by the hand and showed me. I felt horrible. Lots of profuse "Grazie, Signora," from me!

emily_in_nc
10-28-2015, 06:39 PM
Yes, I am OK with rudimentary, tourist Spanish. But, whenever I need a verb (or a different tense) I cannot answer or participate in a conversation! I can usually understand through context. DH and I really want to do an immersion program for at least 2-3 weeks. But, at least I can go into a store and get by in Spanish. When we rented the apt. in Italy, I was totally illiterate and did not understand that you need to weigh your produce and put a price on it before you bring it to the cashier. The cashier started yelling at me, so i just said "No parlo Italiano," and she took me by the hand and showed me. I felt horrible. Lots of profuse "Grazie, Signora," from me!

I totally get that! There is nothing like being treated like a six year old to make one feel humbled. It has happened to me on quite a few occasions here in Mexico, and it is tough. I pride myself on being competent and on top of things most of the time, but not speaking the language well has a way of making my self-esteem take a real hit. OTOH, on the rare occasions when I do manage to understand, answer a question, whatever, I feel great! I've learned SO much since beginning with ZIP Spanish (I studied French in high school), but the more you know, the more you realize you don't know. Verb tenses, yeah, forget it. I am lucky if I just know the verb at all.

Another thing that makes it even worse for me is that I have pretty high levels of social anxiety. So while I can do my online Spanish classes by myself with a reasonable degree of proficiency, put me into a situation where I'm dealing with actual human beings, and I turn into a mono-syllabic stutterer. This makes living here more of a challenge to me than it might be to someone who is not so anxious in social situations.

Crankin
10-29-2015, 04:59 AM
It's a good way to understand how immigrants feel. Humbled isn't a strong enough word! I did fine in Spain, for what i needed to do (even was able to go into a drugstore and get the woman to understand I needed sun block) and to point out an issue with the clerk in a store where DH was buying jeans. But, I want to be able to converse. I am good with languages, but after so many years of not using Spanish, which I did in Florida and AZ, I've lost a lot. I used to go to meetings with parents who needed a translator when I was teaching; I would be able to follow his conversation with the parents and I would want to say something, but I couldn't. It usually came out as a 2 word six year old type statement. Of course, they were thrilled that a teacher was trying to speak to them in Spanish, but it made me feel stupid. And forget the Portuguese speaking parents. After 8 years of teaching in a district with a large Brazilian population, the only word I learned was obrigado.
Back to yoga.

emily_in_nc
10-29-2015, 06:42 PM
But, I want to be able to converse.

YES! This is me. And you're right, this is very eye-opening re. what immigrants to the US or any country experience.

As for yoga, I haven't been since last Friday since we took a short trip Mon-Wed (and I go MWF), so I'm looking forward to going back tomorrow and sweating it out. Whenever I take even a week off, I get sore again, so I am sure I will!

rocknrollgirl
10-30-2015, 02:19 AM
YES! This is me. And you're right, this is very eye-opening re. what immigrants to the US or any country experience.

As for yoga, I haven't been since last Friday since we took a short trip Mon-Wed (and I go MWF), so I'm looking forward to going back tomorrow and sweating it out. Whenever I take even a week off, I get sore again, so I am sure I will!

Hola!

Just kidding. I went to a special class last night just on pranayama. It is part of the studio's community program. It was pretty cool. Not a lot of "yoga" yoga, but i learned a ton of cool stuff beyond 3 part breath.

emily_in_nc
10-30-2015, 05:56 PM
Hola!

Just kidding. I went to a special class last night just on pranayama. It is part of the studio's community program. It was pretty cool. Not a lot of "yoga" yoga, but i learned a ton of cool stuff beyond 3 part breath.

That sounds great! My maestro is really, really big on pranayama. We do a lot of different breath patterns in our practice. Today, when we were doing one of the patterns right before savasana, sweat was dripping down my face, over my lips, down my back, down my chest, and it was all I could do to sit, eyes closed, without wiping it off. It was VERY hot and humid today, well above average for late October here, and I was dying. I read an article in the past couple of days about why you sweat more immediately after finishing exercising than during the exercise, and I guess that's what applied here, since I seemed to sweat even more during the "relaxing" part of the practice at the end.

How someone could voluntarily subject themselves to bikram (hot) yoga, I don't know! :confused:

VeganBikeChick
10-30-2015, 08:37 PM
How someone could voluntarily subject themselves to bikram (hot) yoga, I don't know! :confused:

That would be me! It gets so cold & damp here in the fall and winter that it just seeps into your bones. I literally ache from the damp & cold here sometimes and I don't have arthritis. Hot yoga warms me like nothing else can.

emily_in_nc
10-31-2015, 10:48 AM
That would be me! It gets so cold & damp here in the fall and winter that it just seeps into your bones. I literally ache from the damp & cold here sometimes and I don't have arthritis. Hot yoga warms me like nothing else can.

That does make sense, Crankin! I guess it's been so long since I've experienced that kind of chilliness that it is hard to imagine. I am sure walking into a hot yoga studio would feel pretty darn nice in your climate, at least for part of the year. Since it's so hot here, there is no more welcome feeling to me than walking into an air-conditioned space, like a store.

Crankin
11-01-2015, 10:27 AM
I went to a regular yoga class at the new (old) gym this moring, to help recover from my metric yesterday. A lot of the same faces as 6 years ago, but not all. The instructor was the one who seems to be on the schedule the most. I was a little nervous, but there wasn't any pose that I never had tried before. Got a bit nervous when she put on the space heater; the room is cold, but I always keep a LS shirt or sweatshirt on over my top for awhile. The class wasn't advertised as hot yoga, either. So, about 3/4 through I did start feeling warm, but not the weird, dizzy feeling I get from exercising in the heat. I was mindful about the transitions from being on the floor to standing (this invokes dizziness sometimes), and it was fine. The room never got "hot," and it certainly wasn't 90 degrees. The class itself was perfect, no nonsense, lots of warm up, and there was only one thing I couldn't do, which was Crow pose, on my right side. This is always hard for me, but she got us into it in a different way, and I didn't realize what she was doing. Next time, I will know. Not too much talking from her, and not too much "head" stuff, just the right balance. And, I tried to ignore the big mouthed wife of a cyclist who started riding around the time I did. He always wore a ripped tee short to spin class, bought bikes that were super expensive for his level, and complained that he couldn't climb. She was monopolizing the conversation before class, outside room, including telling me "she's running late," 3 times, as I was attempting to walk past her, to get away from the crowd. She thought I was trying to enter the studio, which of course, I was not, so I finally said, "I get it." But, once I walked in the room, it was clear I haven't lost too much of my yoga skills from practicing at home, and it was quite peaceful.

emily_in_nc
11-01-2015, 02:12 PM
That's great, Crankin! Glad you had a good practice. Ours was so difficult on Friday and bothered my back, that I almost didn't re-up for another month (which is a great price -- 600 pesos (around $37 US) for unlimited classes for four weeks). I finally decided that the reason it was so hard was because I'd taken a week off while we were taking a short trip AND it was unusually humid that day, so I sweated even more than usual, making it super uncomfortable. Tomorrow is my next practice, and I am staying upbeat and hopeful that it will be a better one! I was so sore yesterday from Friday's practice, but today am back to normal, so hopefully I'll be back in the swing of things this week. Travel always throws me off.

VeganBikeChick
11-02-2015, 11:02 PM
I'm laughing about my misfortune in getting a killer cold as soon as I signed up for a membership at my studio. Haven't been able to go for a week now. What the eff, universe?

emily_in_nc
11-03-2015, 01:11 PM
I'm laughing about my misfortune in getting a killer cold as soon as I signed up for a membership at my studio. Haven't been able to go for a week now. What the eff, universe?

Bummer! That happened to me last winter. I got so sick with such a bad cold that I had to miss two of my four weeks in my monthly membership. I finally ended up emailing the teacher to see if I could tack on two weeks to the end, and he was totally fine with that! Perhaps yours would be as well. I think it helped that I had already been coming for a couple months very consistently so he could see I wasn't a total slacker trying to pull one over on him.

Hope you feel better soon!

VeganBikeChick
11-03-2015, 03:26 PM
Thanks Emily! I never get sick so when I do I'm a big whiner. That's a great idea and I'll see if the studio will let me do that.

emily_in_nc
11-03-2015, 05:57 PM
Thanks Emily! I never get sick so when I do I'm a big whiner. That's a great idea and I'll see if the studio will let me do that.

Good luck! I hope they'll be understanding.

rocknrollgirl
11-04-2015, 03:27 AM
Sounds like everyone is really enjoying their practice. I am so glad we started this thread! I am off this week so I got to go to an early morning class at 5:45 on Monday morning. It is hot, but only and hour and the teacher is SO fun and a bit crazy. We did a lot of laughing. At the end she got us in a handstand on the wall and had us hold it. I was the last one up and as soon I got up there I said...start counting...quick! So fun.

Today I am going to a gentle class after I finish some grading and chase some free range dust bunnies.

Namaste!

emily_in_nc
11-04-2015, 05:03 PM
Yes, this is a great thread!

Today I truly felt like I was in a hot yoga class as I was just dripping from every pore. It was raining lightly during much of the practice and so humid. For some reason I was really shaky today on all the one-legged stuff and even fell right down at one point (so embarrassing!) I have no idea why, but I was sweating so hard and really struggling with the heat, I guess.

Near the end when we were stretching, I turned towards the sliding door behind me on a twisting stretch, and there was a rainbow outside! The instructor saw it at the same moment I did and and said that there was an "arco iris" (the Spanish words for rainbow). It brought a smile to my face and ended the challenging practice on a great note. :)

Crankin
11-04-2015, 06:22 PM
I just learned a new word.

emily_in_nc
11-05-2015, 07:55 AM
I just learned a new word.

Crankin
11-08-2015, 01:12 PM
I went to the same yoga class today. You can see the rides thread about my ride there!
The class was great. I even managed to do Crow pose for a second.
Now I have to figure out how to add in another class, without giving up anything else.

VeganBikeChick
11-09-2015, 07:32 PM
It finally happened. I cried during yoga. Apparently it's a pretty common phenomenon.

The good thing about crying during hot yoga though is that it mixes with the sweat and no one can tell.

rocknrollgirl
11-10-2015, 02:33 AM
It finally happened. I cried during yoga. Apparently it's a pretty common phenomenon.

The good thing about crying during hot yoga though is that it mixes with the sweat and no one can tell.

That has happened to me before. Several times. Just bubbles up.

I took a new class last night. It is designed for bone health, which is not why I took. Time slot and teacher attracted me, but I think I have found my new Monday class. Everything is done slowly with a big focus on alignment and the you hold and breathe. It is based on a program that an ortho/yogi guy put together. So once we build up, there will be a warm up and then just 12 strengthening poses that we hold. It was pretty cool and very hard. But I love that whole combo of long holds and lots of focus on alignment.

emily_in_nc
11-10-2015, 10:08 AM
Long holds are the hardest! I often start shaking a lot, especially in my lower legs, ankles, feet, making it hard to hold onto the pose. I'm not sure why I shake so much as I'm certainly stronger now than when I started. I've been going to this practice for a year, though I took several months off when we went back to the US for May-July.

My instructor is very, very big on alignment and proper breathing. He is so good about reminding us over and over to breath, and does lots of hands-on corrections to help us open our hips or shoulders or whatever the pose requires.

Yoga is so difficult at times, but I love to challenge myself and am very glad I started going. Don't think I've cried yet, though I know it is supposed to be a way to release emotions. That must happen with other exercise as well, because I sure cried a lot while running or cycling for a long time after losing my dad, but I haven't had too much very sad happen to me since then (and I feel very fortunate since that was 10 years ago!)

Crankin
11-13-2015, 08:47 AM
Just came home from a great (and hard) class. The class wasn't hard because of the poses; there was only one I couldn't do. It was the holding and the pacing. And for a couple of minutes, I truly thought I was in hot yoga. I think what's happened is that the instructors turn up the heat a bit, even in regular classes. I started sweating, well, more like perspiring, and during a tiny transition, I drank a ton of water, which stopped the continual sweating feeling. I wasn't dizzy, or anything, but it came on so suddenly, I got nervous. Anyway, it was a different instructor, I liked her a lot. It made me happy that I skipped the group ride. And, I saw someone in the class, that I used to teach with, at a gym, for the first 6 years I lived here. It feels weird to say that I've known her for 25 years... and that's not even from my childhood.
They are adding more yoga, which is good.
And now, I am going out for a hike on the trail, to continue my good feeling.

emily_in_nc
11-13-2015, 02:15 PM
We had a guest instructor today -- or someone new to the studio, I'm not sure yet. He was TOUGH! I thought our usual instructor was hard, but this guy took it to a new level. I have never sweat so much, shaked so much, or had to stop to rest as often as I did today. There wasn't as much stretching or meditation as our usual instructor. Newguy held poses forever, and we had very little rest time until the very end *pant pant.*

Afterwards, I was talking to our usual instructor (who owns the studio), and he explained that this class had been "Power Vinyasa"! Uh...who knew? I would have died if this had been my first class. I've been going pretty religiously for 9 months, and I felt like a newbie today.

OTOH, this was a great class for strength. Even my legs, which are strong, were very challenged. I hope this instructor will be returning because what doesn't kill us makes us stronger, right?!? :eek:

Crankin
11-22-2015, 04:47 AM
I went to a "yoga and weights" class on Wednesday. A new instructor to the club. She was very good, but yoga did not feel like yoga with the addition of weights. She teaches 2 other classes, so I will eventually check them out.
Going to spin today, instead of yoga. So, I had one week where I got to yoga twice, but unless I give up somethig else, I think once might be it. That might change when the cycling season is in full swing, though, in the spring.

ny biker
11-22-2015, 08:22 AM
I went to a "yoga and weights" class on Wednesday. A new instructor to the club. She was very good, but yoga did not feel like yoga with the addition of weights. She teaches 2 other classes, so I will eventually check them out.
Going to spin today, instead of yoga. So, I had one week where I got to yoga twice, but unless I give up somethig else, I think once might be it. That might change when the cycling season is in full swing, though, in the spring.

That was the main reason I didn't stick with yoga when I tried it years ago. I would have to give up another activity in order to do it regularly. Maybe someday I will do that, but for now I like my other activities.

rocknrollgirl
11-22-2015, 08:35 AM
I have decided to take a break from my studio for a little bit and practice at home. I am increasing my trail running miles for a race in the spring and going to yoga at the studio on the days between running is not giving me enough recovery time. Home practice will allow me more control over the timing and difficulty of the session.

Also my fall has been very stressful at school and the feeling of "having to go to class" to get my monies worth is adding more stress which makes no sense. I practiced faithfully at home for 9 months last year before I bit the bullet and joined the studio. I can do that again until next spring.

Crankin
11-29-2015, 01:19 PM
Went to class today, after 5 days of serious working out, for both fun and to ward off the holiday pounds. I woke up really stiff and sore from tabata I did yesterday. The class was great, but I felt it today. So, yoga was really the best choice for me. It was a different teacher. She was good, but I found myself looking at the clock. She repeated a lot of stuff, which got me antsy. As usual, it was packed. At one point she came over and corrected my plank, I was like huh?, as I was taught you always ask before touching someone for a correction. And, not sure what was wrong. Another time she came over and asked me if I wanted a block. I hate using blocks, can't for the life of me, get used to sitting on a hard thing, and I don't need them for the flexibility part. I am not against them, as they're a great tool for those who need them to extend their stretches. We were in some triangle pose when she asked, and I was clearly fully extended, with my palm on the ground, not doing any modifications. Guess I was feeling picked on. I wouldn't think twice if someone tried to give me help with balance poses, but this felt weird. None the less, I came home feeling great and my back feels better.

emily_in_nc
11-30-2015, 05:48 PM
My instructor never asks before he touches us to correct, but his corrections, when given, are always appropriate and helpful. I do get a little embarrassed when he corrects me as I am sensitive to criticism, but I know he is trying to help. Normally he corrects the newer people to his practice more than I am corrected, but he also does more of that when the class is very small. For example, today there were only four of us, and he corrected me several times, but he also praised me at least as many times. I try not to take the corrections personally, though sometimes it is hard not to!

rocknrollgirl
12-01-2015, 02:17 AM
Our instructors never ask before they correct or add to a pose, and I am always welcome to them doing it. To me it is not "being corrected", it is enhancing and furthering the pose.

Emily don't look at it as a negative thing. When you were a teacher, did you help your students? Of course you did.

Crankin
12-01-2015, 04:23 AM
I was the teacher...
I just wish she told me why she was correcting me. How can I change something if I don't know what to change. She sort of put her hands on me and flattened my back, but in actuality, I was giving myself a momentary stretch up. I can hold a plank for a minute, bt I was so sore from other stuff, I may have been taking a little teeny break. I think it comes down to the fact that I don't like being touched by strangers, and a verbal cue would probably work much better. Or, a verbal warning, followed by the hands on correction. Obviously, I am not looking around during class, and when she touched me, it scared the sh!t out of me, as I didn't even know she was near me! Perhaps there is a difference in the way yoga instrucors are taught, compared to group exercise instructors. When you think about it, touching someone in this situation could be very upsetting to some. I just don't like it. This doesn't mean I won't go back or anything, and I generally am a stickler for form in anything I do, but it felt off-putting. She also had that "yoga voice." It kind of bugs me, which I know is immature, but really, why do all instructors have to sound the same? That's the kind of stuff that keeps people away. I use several pre-recorded meditations or visualizations with my clients, and I always joke about the therapist voice. It's about the same as the yoga voice. When I guide them through these things, I am speaking more quietly than usual, but I work hard to still sound like myself.
This might seem silly, but stuff like this really seems to affect me.

ny biker
12-01-2015, 10:07 AM
I've been working out with my personal trainer for 18 years, we've gone to happy hours and concerts together and the first long bike ride I did was with him, and he still doesn't touch me to correct something without saying something first.

emily_in_nc
12-01-2015, 10:08 AM
Our instructors never ask before they correct or add to a pose, and I am always welcome to them doing it. To me it is not "being corrected", it is enhancing and furthering the pose.

Emily don't look at it as a negative thing. When you were a teacher, did you help your students? Of course you did.

I've never been a teacher (well, maybe a couple of lunch-n-learns at work, and some mentoring and training, and the principle is the same), but I totally agree...I should not even think of my yoga instructor's hands-on as being correction but an enhancement. I do try to think that way, but this is something we perfectionists struggle with...we think we should be perfect. LOL!

rocknrollgirl
12-01-2015, 01:46 PM
I've never been a teacher (well, maybe a couple of lunch-n-learns at work, and some mentoring and training, and the principle is the same), but I totally agree...I should not even think of my yoga instructor's hands-on as being correction but an enhancement. I do try to think that way, but this is something we perfectionists struggle with...we think we should be perfect. LOL!

Now why did I think you were a teacher? hmmm...

I get why people would be uncomfortable with it. I HATE strangers touching me. I guess my teachers do not fall into that category. Normally if there is someone new in class our instructors have a private chat with them before we start, so maybe they get it sorted out then? Sometimes we partner up and spot each other in class too, so I guess most of us are ok with it?

Crankin
12-02-2015, 03:47 AM
I am not sure why some of these things bother me. I love the physical and emotional parts of yoga and the way I feel after class, but some of the yoga vibe, i.e. the voice, the affectations about calling the floor the "earth," just seem annoying. For some reason, I am very highly attuned to stuff like this. I try to shut it out, and mostly I do. This was the first teacher that made me feel this way, since I rejoined the club. Overall, the classes are much better than they were 6 years ago, and there is a noticeable emphasis on yoga at the club. And the touching part, well, I am also highly attuned to teaching practices, something that is kind of ingrained after 30+ years as an educator and 10 years teaching fitness classes. The private chat before, for a new person, really should happen all of the time.

Crankin
12-04-2015, 11:04 AM
Went to class today, with the instructor who did the yoga and weights class I went to. I like her. I started sweating in the middle of class... it regularly happens at the same time point each class, even with different instructors. I really made an effort to focus only on the poses. In fact, I ditched a rescheduled group ride to go and was happy I did.
When I got home, I still wanted to be outside, so I suited up and went for a nice 11 mile ride, just to be in nature.

emily_in_nc
12-10-2015, 05:56 PM
I will be heading back to the yoga studio tomorrow morning for the first time since Nov. 30th, since we've been traveling. I am looking forward to it but am sure I am going to be sore since I haven't done anything but lots of walking (and wielding my backpack that I travel with) for a week now). I always get a little nervous when I take a break since the practices are so hard, but I'm sure I'll survive. I hope!

Glad you're sticking with it, Crankin. Not sure if I know the 'yoga voice' you mention, as all my instructors have sounded different, but I'm just lucky to understand them at all since I'm taking classes taught in Spanish now. :D

Crankin
12-11-2015, 02:38 AM
I give you a lot of credit, Emily. I know enough Spanish that I would understand "get on the floor," or stand up, but since I don't even understand the yoga names for a lot of poses, I would most certainly be looking at the instructor or others for cues!
I am very sore from the sub we had in circuit training yesterday and I really need to go to yoga this morning. However, I have to go to a meeting for one of my clients at her school. Normally, I don't work on Fridays, but I really need to be there. Might do some home practice before I go and do a slow ride this afternoon.

emily_in_nc
12-11-2015, 11:30 AM
I give you a lot of credit, Emily. I know enough Spanish that I would understand "get on the floor," or stand up, but since I don't even understand the yoga names for a lot of poses, I would most certainly be looking at the instructor or others for cues!

Oh, I do! I also studied up before I went and in between classes for the first few weeks. Found some sites online with yoga terms in Spanish and memorized a few basic body parts (arms, legs, hands, feet, neck, spine, head, etc.) Over time I got so used to the phrasing the normal instructor uses, I can almost always follow what he's doing, but sometimes he tries something different and I have to watch him very closely, or others in the class if he starts walking around. It's much more challenging when a guest instructor comes in, as they can have different phrasing, and I have to watch them and other students more closely. But I have picked up a lot!

Also, he uses mostly the Sanscrit names for poses, so those are the same as a class in English (and I still only know a few of them no matter how long I take; they just don't stick with me). He will throw in a few of the "common" names for poses (like gato, for instance), but not all the time.

For me, the scariest thing was just getting up my nerve to go that very first time or two, with my limited Spanish. I was intimidated as all get out, but I was kind of proud of myself for doing it and sticking with it.

The most frustrating part of it is the socializing after class, when people start talking fast in Spanish -- I can only pick up a word here or there. Fortunately, during the instruction phase, the speaking is slower (maybe part of that "yoga voice" you mention), so I can catch more. And so much of it is context.

I didn't do too badly today, considering, and it has been cooler, so that helped. We'll see how sore I am tomorrow, though! At least I have until Monday to recover.

Crankin
12-13-2015, 04:03 PM
Went to yoga today, and DH came with me.
I am so glad I went, as all of the horrible soreness I had from the sub for circuit training on Thursday is now gone. I did a recovery home practice on Friday, but my hamstrings and groin were hurting so much, I could barely move when I went to bed. I rode 32 miles Saturday, and it was OK, but I felt really stiff and still some pain/soreness. Everything is perfectly fine now! I can't figure out what hurt me so much; I can understand the upper body soreness, but I don't remember doing any exercises that would have stressed my hamstrings so much.
DH did fine, although he is always one step behind the instructor. I made myself not look, which wasn't too hard, despite the fact he was right next to me.
Hopefully, I'll get to class more this week.