PDA

View Full Version : Bike Size Question

eliz
03-07-2006, 08:10 PM
I'm shopping for a new bike to replace my 15 year old trek. A bike shop did some measurements (inseam, torso length, foot length) and suggested a 53. The bike I want comes in either a 52 or a 54. One bike shop says get the 54 another says 52. I have freakishly long legs. Would you recommend I go with the 54 or 52. How the heck do I know?

SadieKate
03-07-2006, 08:42 PM
You go with the bike that fits. Numbers don't really mean anything. I've ridden roads bikes labeled by the manfacturer everyting between a 49 and 52.

Do they have these bikes to test ride? How are you picking this bike?

eliz
03-07-2006, 08:53 PM
You go with the bike that fits. Numbers don't really mean anything. I've ridden roads bikes labeled by the manfacturer everyting between a 49 and 52.

Do they have these bikes to test ride? How are you picking this bike?

Yes I'm taking the bikes for a test ride. How do I know if the bike fits? I know the bike I have now is WAY to big and uncomfortable. The bike I road that was a 54 felt pretty good.

SadieKate
03-07-2006, 09:18 PM
When you rode the two bikes, did the shop first set the fore/aft position of the saddle? They would be looking at the location of your knee over the pedal when the pedals are at a 3 and 9 position.

If they did that before you test rode, you should be able to tell a difference in the cockpit length of the bike, that is how far you have to reach to the hoods. Too long and you are probably putting a lot of weight on your hands and your neck will feel strained. You need to feel comfortable riding with your elbows bent a bit when out on the hoods. If the cockpit is too short, you'll feel a little scrunched with knees and elbows getting in the way of each other. Others can help describe this.

Most women who have long legs and short torsos need a shorter top tube. The saddle will be farther out of the frame but the reach will be shorter.

Cockpit/reach length can be adjusted by stem length also. You just want to be sure it isn't overly long or short as it will affect the steering. You never ever, ever, move the saddle to reach the bars. That is why the shop should first set the fore/aft and height of the saddle before you compare.

SadieKate
03-07-2006, 09:22 PM
This might help.

http://www.jimlangley.net/crank/bikefit.html

bcipam
03-08-2006, 10:44 AM
I'm shopping for a new bike to replace my 15 year old trek. A bike shop did some measurements (inseam, torso length, foot length) and suggested a 53. The bike I want comes in either a 52 or a 54. One bike shop says get the 54 another says 52. I have freakishly long legs. Would you recommend I go with the 54 or 52. How the heck do I know?

It's not the height that matters (ie standover) its the top tube that's really important. You need to be able to sit on the saddle and reach the brakes and shifters comfortably (without having to reach out too far). The handlebar stem can be adjusted but if the top bar is to long, even a short stem won't help.

This is the whole issue behind a WSD bike (check the many discussions on this Board about WSD bikes). Make sure your bike shop understands the concept of a properly measured top tube. So many shops make you stand over the bike and if there's clearance that's the bike for you. Very wrong way to measure and size a bike! Also just a note, just because you are a "53" for one bike doesn't mean you are a 53 for all bikes. Every bike's geometry is different. I ride a Lemond. On a Cannodale I would be on a 54 but because the Lemond's top tube is so long, I'm on a 51 Lemond.

Hope this is helpful!

PS: Since you mention long legs, do you have proportionately shorter torso? If so, you should consider a "woman's specific design" (WSD) bike designed for that type of body.