PDA

View Full Version : Rocks in My Head?

Veronica
03-07-2006, 06:02 PM
No, but 12 pounds of rocks in my banana bag!

The Coach sent me an email telling me to ride hills and put rocks from the yard in my banana bag. It was windy as all get out, so I sent back a whiny attempt to get out of doing this workout. No dice, the man is on to me. His reply, "Get on your bike and ride."

I found 3 smallish rocks in the yard and naturally weighed them, I figure if you're going to carry rocks, you should know how much they weigh. Now I've dilly dallied enough that I know I won't get in my usual number of hill repeats, but I figured I could do 3 before sunset. I have lights, but I really don't like to be out at commute time.

It's almost always windy here in the delta. Cool air from San Francisco gets sucked down the river to Sacramento. It's a great place to sail. :) I would guess it normally blows 5 - 10 mph. Today it's a steady 17 mph. Ugh and my route and the hill I do my repeats on, is right in the wind's path. Ahh well... it can't be that bad.

My first trip up the hill was pitiful. I was a full minute slower than normal. And the wind was making me just miserable. There are two roads that come to a T at the top of this hill, so I have three ways to climb it. I decided I would try coming up the other side. Alas, it was just as windy. I don't usually come up the third side. It is a rocking descent, one I don't normally brake on at all and I can easily do 35 mph on it. But I had to climb this hill one more time, so I elect to do from the third side. It too had a headwind!

But at least the three rocks and I got out for a ride. I need to name them...I think we'll be spending a lot of time together.

V.

SadieKate
03-07-2006, 06:51 PM
Perhaps this will be a revival of the Pet Rock.

snapdragen
03-07-2006, 07:11 PM
Careful V, rocks have been known to breed. Before long, you've got a banana bag full of pebbles.....

SadieKate
03-07-2006, 08:36 PM
Bubba's suggestions for your new friends' names:

Larry, Moe and Curly
Harpo, Groucho and Chico
Bob, Harry and Sal - just because his brain was on random drive:p
The Three Amigos
The Three Musketeers -- All for one and one for all.
Triplets of Belleville
Clod, Lump and Chunk
Rock Hudson, Clod Raines and Cary Granite :p
Stone Phillips, Kid Rock and Joe Dirt

snapdragen
03-07-2006, 09:11 PM
I vote for Triplets of Belleville!

nuthatch
03-08-2006, 02:38 AM
By the time your coach gets done with you, you'll be able to ride to the moon and back! :eek:

maillotpois
03-08-2006, 07:32 AM
So are you bringing those rocks with you to Solvang? I like the handicap... ! :D

Veronica
03-08-2006, 07:40 AM
No, the rocks will stay at home. Poor lonely rocks. I think you're the one who needs the handicap! :)

V.

ladyfish
03-08-2006, 09:29 AM
Don't forget

Larry, Darryl and Darryl (Bob Newhart show).

Or name them for rock stars

maillotpois
03-08-2006, 10:30 AM
No, the rocks will stay at home. Poor lonely rocks. I think you're the one who needs the handicap! :)

V.

But I think you might get double Triple Crown credit for carrying rocks. I think I read that somewhere ... ;)

CorsairMac
03-08-2006, 11:58 AM
Good thing I'm not naming them - coz they wouldn't be printable here in the forum! but...................I'm thinking:

Army: Mules
Navy: anchors aweigh
Marine: grunts

:D

Pedal Wench
03-08-2006, 12:00 PM

V.

Just don't forget to take the rocks out. I did a hike across the Grand Canyon with rocks that I had forgotten I had stashed in my backpack from a trip to Switzerland. :o

MomOnBike
03-09-2006, 07:35 AM
I did a hike across the Grand Canyon with rocks that I had forgotten I had stashed in my backpack from a trip to Switzerland. :o

Oops!

And I thought I was the only one who does things like that!

Duck on Wheels
03-10-2006, 12:31 PM
Can I ask a stupid question? What's a banana bag?
Not that I need to haul rocks, at least not yet. For now my own bodyweight is enough exercize. But that could change. :rolleyes:

Veronica
03-10-2006, 01:38 PM
It's a good sized seat post bag - big enough for 3 rocks. :p

V.

slinkedog
03-11-2006, 06:32 PM
Did anyone suggest Huey, Dewie and Louie? :)