PDA

View Full Version : How much spin?

jackierose24
03-07-2006, 11:55 AM
Question For Everyone Out There. I Have Been Spinning For About 5 Months 3 Times A Week, Is This Too Much? And Also I Have Found It To Be A Great Leg And Butt Workout So I Ditched My Old Squats And Lunges. Does Anyone Know If This Is Too Much Spin And If Resistance Training Is Necessary Because I Dont Want To Gain Too Much Muscle, But Right Now I Am Happy With The Way Everything Looks. Responses Are Appreciated=)

han-grrl
03-07-2006, 12:04 PM
what are your fitness goals?

Spinning classes are cardio workouts.

Weight training builds muscle mass.

that being said, muscle mass helps with cardio - like climbing hills, but good cardio gives you the endurance to handle the hills.

staying in the high repetition lighter weight range won't build bulk.
building bulks is VERY hard and time consuming, and takes many many calories. most of us don't even eat enough to sustain our body weight let alone gain extra.

so do both! (with good form of course) and dont' forget to stretch (with good form).

Wizzer
05-09-2006, 07:07 PM
This is a good question. Spinning is basically a cardio workout using your lower body. I have been teaching for around 3yrs now and have seen a difference in the toning of my legs, but you should still continue with your resistance training.

Resistance training helps with your cycling and helps with bone density that you want to hold on to as you get older (very important to prevent osteoperosis).

It is so hard to gain muscle mass as a woman, we don't produce enough testosterone to achieve these goals, so I really wouldn't worry about that. Going heavier with your weights will just make you more toned and stronger.

If you are spinning that much though, remember that your body will adapt to anything you put it through. You have probably noticed by now that you are much better at spinning than you were in the beginning, this also means that you are probably burning less calories than you were in the beginning. Try taking a break for a week and then come back to it!

Wizzer

RoadRaven
05-13-2006, 01:20 PM
I am doing one spin class a week
I won ten free sessions, and Tuesday evening fits in well with a class I have to teach... so I thought I'd just do that... but I can see the value of it as complimentary training - boy, can those ladies in the spin class stand for a long time - and boy, does it motivate me much more than when in my own home

Think I'll be buying a membership when I have used up my ten classes!

Duck on Wheels
05-16-2006, 06:37 PM
I've been spinning twice a week through the winter in order to be in some semblance of shape for an early spring century. Once a week I did the resistance machines and some core work to balance upper body workout with the spin workout on my legs. I guess it worked. I didn't finish the century, but rode further (43 miles) than I've ever done before, on a women's frame comfort bike, in headwinds. Not bad for an old lady. Now I'm still spinning twice a week because 1) I only just got my bike back from the ride, and now it's pouring rain here, 2) spin class is fun, 3) I learn a lot of technique that I know I still need to work on, and 4) I'm working on the psychological side of things, learning to tell myself when alone heading up a hill, that "Check your heart rate. See? You've worked this hard for a whole hour in spin class! Stay on it!" So maybe I'll learn to keep spinning on the road, keep spinning up hills ... learn the mental side of endurance enough to do a century ride on my own. Well ... it's a plan. We'll see if it works. But I'm sure the spin class helped. And I'm still getting better at it from class to class.

RoadRaven
05-17-2006, 01:26 AM
This comment about resistance training - or weight bearing excercise - is a very real concern

I read an article recently (I think I mentioned it in a thread somewhere) that elite male cyclists can begin to develop osteoporosis and this is attributed to low fat diets (low fat often means low dairy and therefore likely to be low calcium) and lack of weight bearing excercise which strengthens bones.

Walking, running or weight bearing routines at the gym should be a regular part of your life to ensure your bones stay healthy - as a woman this is particularly important.

HanGrrl asks a wise and vital question which anyone should consider when starting a fitness programme - what are your goals?

pedalpup
05-18-2006, 01:48 PM
Let me tell you how great spinning is! I notice a huge difference in my "cycling shape" when I get out on the road in the spring. I teach several classes a week and I have been addicted for years (probably why I became an instructor) Definately need to mix it up with some strength training and core training (pilates, resist-a-ball, bosu type stuff) Get into the pool once in a while too. Spinning is the only thing that helped shed 35 lbs, give me toned legs and rear, my cardio system is in top shape (my resting heart rate used to be 60 + a min, now down to 46-48 ish) brought cholesterol down, gives me mental focus and has taken away the effects of seasonal affective disorder ( I live in the rainy Northwest) and gets my endorphines pumping! The thing that is most enjoyable is to watch people "get it" and become addicted themselves. I just turned 40, I have always been active but I feel I am in the best shape I have ever been both in fitness and in health. Train right and you will see the transformation! Most of all.. have fun!:)