PDA

View Full Version : I pimped my kayak :-D

lph
08-31-2015, 11:26 PM
17762 Paddle clamps for self rescue, and light-on-a-stick for night paddling.
17763 A flag to announce our presence on paddling trips in Sweden ;-)
17764 Awesomely discreet reflecting patches for night paddling
17765 And my favourite - the name and it's namesake!

lph
08-31-2015, 11:29 PM
Oops, sorry about that last one, don't know how to fix *envisioning women around the world twisting head upside down*

Pax
09-01-2015, 03:51 AM
Those are some spiffy upgrades! Love that light... a buddy of mine in Texas just got an $80 ticket for not having a light on his kayak right after sunset.

OakLeaf
09-01-2015, 04:02 AM
Nice!

Catrin
09-01-2015, 04:46 PM
Very nice!

Crankin
09-02-2015, 02:10 AM
Looks nice, lph.

IBrakeforPastry
09-08-2015, 08:38 AM
Oops, sorry about that last one, don't know how to fix *envisioning women around the world twisting head upside down*

I thought maybe you capsized ;) It looks really nice - not too "blingy". But I think you need one of these:

lph
09-08-2015, 08:44 AM
Ahaha :-D

Catrin
09-08-2015, 08:45 AM
There should be a love button :)

lph
09-08-2015, 08:45 AM
Hey, that's Oslo! Walked by there earlier this week.

IBrakeforPastry
09-09-2015, 06:01 PM
Yup. I couldn't help but wonder which of the countless bike commuters was you (I assume you don't look much like your avatar ;))

lph
09-10-2015, 01:19 AM
Yup. I couldn't help but wonder which of the countless bike commuters was you (I assume you don't look much like your avatar ;))

Haha :-) No, I very rarely bike downtown, it drives me nuts. I prefer to take the longer route with more "flow" that goes around the city centre. But if I take the metro one day I may hop off downtown and run errands.

Trek420
01-21-2016, 11:09 AM
LPH, those look awesome. Are you sure you want to let the Swedes know there is a Norwegian in their midst? Would they send out their Navy?

lph
01-21-2016, 12:56 PM
LPH, those look awesome. Are you sure you want to let the Swedes know there is a Norwegian in their midst? Would they send out their Navy?
Heh. I think the swedes are quite proud of their splendid kayaking areas. It helps that they pinched it from us after the last war ;-)

Trek420
01-21-2016, 01:47 PM
Heh. I think the swedes are quite proud of their splendid kayaking areas. It helps that they pinched it from us after the last war ;-)

Stealthily LPH paddles the plundered Swedish kayaking area ready to take it back for the proud people of Norway. Her lights are off, the clever reflective bits are covered. Silently and swiftly she paddles onward, onward ever onward for Norway! :cool:

Seriously our new condo has a kayak landing strip. We're thinking about a tandem kayak. Were pretty good with those. Any recommendations?

lph
01-21-2016, 10:42 PM
Stealthily LPH paddles the plundered Swedish kayaking area ready to take it back for the proud people of Norway. Her lights are off, the clever reflective bits are covered. Silently and swiftly she paddles onward, onward ever onward for Norway! :cool:

Seriously our new condo has a kayak landing strip. We're thinking about a tandem kayak. Were pretty good with those. Any recommendations?
:)

The only tandem kayak I've ever tried was a crappy plastic rental thing that we couldn't have capsized if we'd tried, so someone else will have to answer that one.

jamesrx200
09-24-2016, 08:51 PM
That is sooo coool!!!

Trek420
10-01-2016, 12:33 PM

That's funny. This is exactly what Knott just did.

Trek420
10-01-2016, 12:43 PM
:)

The only tandem kayak I've ever tried was a crappy plastic rental thing that we couldn't have capsized if we'd tried, so someone else will have to answer that one.

We just got this. Although not quite as fast as other tandems we've used it's pretty good. It tracks almost like a standard kayak because the prow and stern are aluminum. Other inflatables handle like an inflatable raft. We have to get used to the width, a little wider because of being inflatable thing so it's a bit like having pillows under your arms, at least for me because I'm short.

Over all though we love it. Takes 10 minutes to inflate, we don't need a kayak rack or to pay for a storage berth at our condo. Yes, a traditional kayak would be faster. But then we could not just toss the bag, life vests, dry bag and paddles in the car and take off.

http://www.advancedelements.com/day-touring-inflatable-kayaks/inflatable-kayak-ae1007/

wnyrider
10-02-2016, 03:39 PM
Oh my gosh Trek420, I have that model too, in orange. I am ashamed to admit I haven't taken it into any open waters yet. Glad you are liking it so much. Did you get the Backbone for it, or did you find it not to be necessary?

Trek420
03-30-2018, 11:41 AM
Oh my gosh Trek420, I have that model too, in orange. I am ashamed to admit I haven't taken it into any open waters yet. Glad you are liking it so much. Did you get the Backbone for it, or did you find it not to be necessary?

Oooh, I did not know about the option. More toys :)

wnyrider
03-30-2018, 02:37 PM
I received an email from this forum that there was a response to my post in the thread. It has been a long time since I wrote that! Since then, I have used this convertible kayak with and without the backbone. Does help with heavier loads! Used it solo and with a second person. I did have to get a longer paddles though, for the reason you mentioned, the wider walls. It has been fun, I just wish I had the nerve to get the Rapid Sail accessory.

More toys indeed!

Trek420
03-30-2018, 06:18 PM
I received an email from this forum that there was a response to my post in the thread. It has been a long time since I wrote that! Since then, I have used this convertible kayak with and without the backbone. Does help with heavier loads! Used it solo and with a second person. I did have to get a longer paddles though, for the reason you mentioned, the wider walls. It has been fun, I just wish I had the nerve to get the Rapid Sail accessory.

More toys indeed!

We did not get the backbone because that seemed more for those wanting to use the kayak on open water and or longer trips. So far we’ve just been puttering around on the local river.