PDA

View Full Version : Lack of Motivation

Veronica
03-06-2006, 05:42 PM
Northern California is supposed to be in the midst of this tremendous storm. It was sunny all day here. I kept looking at the sky and thinking I'd be able to get in a nice 20 mile ride after work. When the kids left, the sky had clouded up. That's okay, I rode yesterday with rain threatening and 15 mph winds. I can still ride outside. By the time I left 30 minutes later, it had started to sprinkle. As I left the parking lot the rain was pelting my face and was a full on deluge within minutes.

I had a fun little ride home. My rain pants keep my legs dry. My feet got absolutley soaked. I wasn't wearing my rain jacket and my wind breaker began to soak through by the time I got home. I enjoyed my short little ride, it was my mini adventure. I dried Milo off and debated what evil thing to snack on.

I had absolutely no motivation to do a tape. I had it in my head I was going to ride outside. I just switched to my narrower tires on Fluffy and I want to ride them. I surfed the web for 45 minutes, doing nothing productive.

My motivation to finally get the trainer - I want to lose three more pounds before DMD on April 29. Whatever it takes I guess. Normally Monday is a recovery day. But I had nothing to recover from, since I only rode 20 miles yesterday between showers.

Rain, rain go away.
Come again some other day.
Some other day, far away
When I don't want to play.

V.

kjay
03-06-2006, 06:02 PM
Am wondering if any of you regular posters here take spinning classes when the weather is bad. If you do, do you believe that it helps you in your outside biking? I love to bike outdoors, but have just discovered spinning and am almost addicted. :)

Veronica
03-07-2006, 03:16 AM
I use to take spinning classes and I enjoyed them very much. However, I find Spinervals DVDs and being on a real bike to be better training. But the music isn't as good and you don't have the motivation of the group and an instructor.

V.

maillotpois
03-07-2006, 07:02 AM
I am SO with you on being over this rain crud. I didn't ride ALL Weekend and was VERY grumpy. I have re-scheduled my 120 miler from last Sunday to this Saturday to coincide with the death ride team ride I am coaching. I know it will rain. I almost just don't care any more. :(

I do spin twice a week, because I work full time and have a kid, and I need to make sure I get at least 2 maintenance rides in during the week in case I don't have a free day to "work at home" (which means ride my bike). I also do weights and abs the spin days - it's so easy to cram that in while I am at the gym anyway. Today I did spin, but I may be able to get out and do a 50 miler also - so I will get a double workout in which is unheard of! We don't really have a set up where I could do a trainer and DVD indoors, and I do like the motivation of a group. Also, if I don't do it in the morning first thing, it won't happen because evenings are for family, homework, etc.

Here's hoping we see a light at the end of this tunnel. I am starting to worry just a bit about these early doubles, given the impact the rain has had on the long rides.

wabisabi
03-07-2006, 07:27 AM
yes, yes, V., I hope you can hear me joining in on the chorus!
We have been having rain of nearly mythical proportions further up the coast here. Much too windy and rainy to ride, really. (I knew that taking my fenders off was way too optimistic.) This am there is some blue sky and sun, but I see the big clouds coming in from the Bay direction. My backyard is beyond saturated, and each time the dogs go outside there are a bunch of muddy footprints all over the house. My VW bus in the driveway (it's covered) has moss growing in the rubber seal around the poptop!

Our riding group is training for the Wildflower, and several of us are taking at least two spinning classes a week, plus, if Sunday is not ridable, there is a 2 hr. 'enduro' cycling class. The ones I attend are taught by actual riders, so they don't do too many goofy things, and some of them have very good music. I find that the classes (particularly the longer ones) help me with strength and core work, and let me focus on some specific things, but, obviously, do not do much about bike handling. I'd rather pound the gym bike than my sweet girl bike.

Trekhawk
03-07-2006, 09:17 AM
Yep rain is still falling in my part of the world. I only get two days thru the week when my youngest is at preschool to ride, so out I went. It was only light rain for most of my ride but by the time I got home I was covered with muck. Most of the snow we got over the weekend has melted and left lots of slush to add to the rain and together they mingled with all the grit on the road. Took nearly as long as my ride just to clean my bike and myself up after.

Looking forward to some dry riding soon (please pretty please).