PDA

View Full Version : Essex, UK

uk elephant
03-06-2006, 12:15 PM
AAAAA!!! Panic!!! I'm about to sign up for my very first charity ride. It is in June somewhere just north of London. Is there anyone out there in the same general area who might be interested in join in? The ride I'm considering is the LifeCycle 6 raising money for the Orchid Cancer Appeal and starts in Billericay, Essex.

http://www.essexroadscyclingclub.com/pages/lifecycle6.htm

I'm a bit nervous about it. I've only been cycling on my own. I have never done a charity ride, nor any other organized ride. Scary, but I think I can manage. Now I need to decide what distance to go for: 20, 40, 75 or 100. I'm not anywhere near ready for 100 and I have no idea what Audax rules are so I'm thinking 40 sounds good. I think I can be ready for that by June. I started with a 10 mile ride today after work and that felt great. Any tips on how to train from now on would be greatly appreciated!

Trek420
03-06-2006, 02:15 PM
10 miles after work? Sounds like you're doing fine. How ya feel?

Duck on Wheels
03-06-2006, 02:59 PM
Waytago Elifant! It sounds like fun, and a good challenge. I agree that the 40 mile might be a good start. I'd be a lot more confident about the upcoming Cinderella ride if there'd been an alternative of about that length. I know I can do 25-30 in a leisurely day's ride, so 40 (and trying to do it faster than leisurely) would represent a step up and a test. Since I'm a quarter century older than you and definitely not in as good shape, 40 might not be all that much for you. But it would still be a confidence builder for a longer ride later. Maybe you'll meet some folks you can ride with, maybe hear about rides later on, maybe learn what those rules are ...

I would not presume to give you training tips. I leave that to Auntie Trek. I will say, though, that she's a good trainer and motivater. Maybe when you're here in May we could rent or borrow you a bike and I'll try to pass on what she's taught me. Or hey ... maybe Trek herself could come out here for a visit while you're here. :) :cool: :p

uk elephant
03-07-2006, 12:41 AM
10 miles after work? Sounds like you're doing fine. How ya feel?

I feel just fine. Would have gone longer if I would have had time, but I had a Pilates class to get back to.

Trek420
03-08-2006, 07:14 AM
Waytacrosstrain, Elifant!

Bikeless says of Auntie Trek. "I will say, though, that she's a good trainer and motivater. "

I dunno about that.

I just want to say a brief congrats to my Sister Bikeless. As far as I'm concerned you've sucessfuly completed every mile of the Cinderella. You trained harder than you ever have, more spin classes and longer ones than I've ever done, rode personal bests in longer rides, and I hope you have had fun along the way.

Now on the day of just stay safe and as we say here on TE

"ride your own ride" :p :D can we get that on a hat?

uk elephant
03-08-2006, 07:33 AM
I must admit, I'm a bit (ok a lot) proud of Bikeless in WI for doing the Cinderella ride. Here I am, supposedly young and fit (or at least trying to be), and worrying about doing a 40 mile ride. She is off to do a century! Way to go Mom! Wish I could join you. Maybe next year?

Trek420
03-08-2006, 09:08 AM
HAH! Age and stealth beats youth and beauty every time :D

Duck on Wheels
03-08-2006, 06:25 PM
HAH! Age and stealth beats youth and beauty every time :D

Stealth? You mean there are sneaky shortcuts on the route?
Where??? ;)

Can otherwise report I had my last regular pre-Cinderella spin class today. A real whopper! First I warmed up by walking to the gym (40 minute walk, about 2.5-3 miles?). The spin room was open when I got there, so I got right on the bike to stay warm even though class didn't start for another half hour. Quickly reached my endurance "ceiling" of about 140 on the hrm. Supposedly that's way more than I should be doing for endurance at my age, but I find I can do that and still sing along so it must be about right. Then 75 minutes of class where she really had us working hard -- 75% as our base and then doing climbs and jumps to hit 90% hrmax for interval work. I was at 140-160 pretty much the whole 75 minutes. The next to last climb I finally had to back off and cool down, but when she announced one last hill I thought I might as well squeeze out the last drop of energy, twisted the knob up as far as it would go and tried doing a standing run up the "hill". I managed for about a minute, which luckily was all the time we had. Then it was cool-down and stretching, pull on a dry T-shirt and my overclothes (fleece pants, big warm jacket) and ... walk home again.

Should have had another class with this instructor Friday morning, but have a dr's appointment. May do a "recovery ride" at some other instructor's class tomorrow or Friday evening. We'll see how the timing works out.

Anyway, having survived today's class, and not being sore yet (well, I'm usually sore the next day rather than right after class, but still ...) I guess maybe I'll be able to finish the Cindy after all. Barring accidents. I won't be fast, and I may walk every d... hill, but I should be able to get to the finish line on my own steam. Especially now that Sister Trek "kidnapped" my bike and got slicks put on it instead of big knobby tires. :)

Thanks, Trek! I'd never have even tried this without you.

Duck on Wheels
06-11-2006, 07:22 AM
So how'd it go? Or were you too bruised from your accident to do the ride?

uk elephant
06-12-2006, 01:12 AM
I did the ride, and did quite well. A report is posted on the June11 Ride Report thread......