PDA

View Full Version : Mason Lake #1

Pink Kona
03-04-2006, 05:58 PM
Mason Lake races are typically known for wet pavement and cold conditions - but today we lucked out! The morning was a chilly 39 degrees, but once we started racing it warmed up significantly. It was great to see all of the familiar faces - catch up on old times and find out who's got the early season legs. The 1-3 womens group does 4 laps around the lake - with a couple risers but relatively flat terrain - a total of 48 miles. There were several attacks and chases - one of which looked threatening to blow the pack appart. But on the back side of the lake the headwinds pick up so unless you are immune to wind, you'll be caught by the peloton.

Personally, the winter didn't hold much group riding so it took a few minutes to get used to riding in a pack again. But within 5 minutes it felt natural again and it seemed as though the group was really comfortable together and we avoided any crashes. The final sprint came - after some swooping down hill and curvy sections - and then a slight uphill incline toward the finish line. Unfortunately I was in a bad position -boxed in and held there. Good thing they are training races though - I will know better for next time. It was funny though - when that sprint happens time seems to stand still and it seems as though I float and cruise through the finish line. It was a good reintroduction into road racing. But I must admit to thinking at least once that track is sooo much shorter . ;) Then again, some of the top track womens field are excellent road racers as well so on with the hills!

Eden
03-04-2006, 06:27 PM
I was there as well, but I am a beginner with the women's 4's. This was the first real road race that I've particpated in and I'm happy to report that it was not as scarey as I thought it might be. I am really glad that it did not pour rain for my first race! Unlike the higher cat gals we only did 2 laps. Since it was the first time out for a lot of people there was a fair amount of jostling, but no crashes to my knowledge. There was one hairy bit when I thought someone was about to go down directly in front of me, but fortunately they recovered. We had a big field - some people said 40 to 50 (our team had 20! that we counted) and I think it split into several groups, but I am also happy to report that I was with the main field at the finish so I am not sure how many.
Here's looking forward to Mason Lake #2

Veronica
03-04-2006, 06:41 PM
You make me want to take up racing - almost. :p

V.

BikeMomma
03-05-2006, 07:14 PM
Good job, both of you!

Pink, your experience sounds a little like mine, being boxed in & all. No worries, it's still early season. I know what you mean about the floating thing....:)

Eden! Awesome on your first time out and way to go finishing with the main pack....fun huh? Keep it up! Glad the rain held off for you....

~BikeMomma

annie
03-05-2006, 07:37 PM
Congrats, Pink and Eden! Just a taste for you of the upcoming year, yes?

annie

Eden
03-05-2006, 07:53 PM
I'm feeling pretty good about it really - the results were posted today and my offical place was 19th. 11 of my team mates were up in the main group (there was no break away) 7 vets and 4 of us newbies.

I really wish I knew what was going on behind me (heck I wish I knew what was happening in front of me for that matter :p , but I'm sure that comes with experience). I got to look at some photos today and the group definitely split near the end (from what others said there was an early split too - so there must have been at least 3 groups at some point). Some of the people who had been up near the front consistantly completely dissapeared. I do remember getting a feeling that suddenly there wasn't really anyone behind me and one of my team mates saying Eden go go go - I guess that must have been when it happened. Anyway - way cool to see my name up there - they reported up to 22, which must have been the front group. Can't wait until next weekend!