PDA

View Full Version : Hiking

Pages : 1 [2]

rebeccaC
10-15-2016, 09:12 PM
happy early birthday catrin!!!!...i like celebrating the month but a week will do too :) hoping you can sleep uninterrupted tonight!!!!!

Catrin
10-16-2016, 04:52 AM
Birthday is next weekend, but yesterday was a good way to celebrate my upcoming 57th. Broken "bits" aside, I think I can't complain if I can hike 11 miles :cool: So what if I had hours of foot/shin cramps last night - I really need to figure THAT out. Obviously something is lacking. At least I learned I CAN drive when both lower appendages are in agony - I drive a manual. Probably shouldn't have but I saw no other way to get home.

Onto the pictures:

I love this upwards shot, the trails were quite empty. We did meet people from time to time but not that many. These trails are quite remote.

These diamonds were our friends. Maps were horrible. No real internet phone connectivity. Not one trail sign that actually had a trail name or number. AND, drum roll, neither of the two 10 mile loops actually end at the location from which they start. I don't mean they end across the street, but down the street, around the corner, and (literally) through the woods 1/4 mile or so. Did I mention the lack of signage? So regardless of which trail-head one enters the system, you do NOT finish at your car and there is no information to tell you how to get back to it. That's how we hiked 11 miles on a 10-mile trail. No wonder we were sweating daylight :eek: THANKFULLY the two 10-mile trails do NOT intersect.

Very calm/peaceful lake that our trail took us around.

Overlooking the same lake as we made our way down/through the ridges to the bottom lands.

The trails themselves were quite diverse. Lots of up and down - mitigated in the steeper areas by switchbacks. They DID reinforce some of the steep areas to help prevent erosion. Other areas were quite flat and another section appears to have been an access road at one time leading to a long line of telephone poles that cut through the state forest. Much of the trail, thankfully, was quite "mountain-bike-trail-like", which fits my limitations well. Both 10-mile looks in this forest is classified as rugged, probably due to the MANY creek crossings. Most of those were dry, but I can see how it could quickly become impassable after a lot of rain.

I will return at some point - but not solo. Also with printed or downloaded maps on my phone or other device. And, unless I can figure out this cramping thing, not the full route.

Crankin
10-16-2016, 05:50 AM
Glad you figured the way out! This is the part of hiking I don't like at all. I have a good sense of direction, but once I get in the woods, it seems to leave me. Your pictures look awesome.
We leave for Acadia NP on Friday morning, after I finish my Woman's Group. It just started 2 weeks ago, and I didn't have the heart to cancel on them. DH is going to drop me at work, go sit in a café, and then come back to get me and we will be off. It's a 4.5-5 hour drive, and we want to be there for dinner with the group. I am still quite nervous about descending rocky trails, but it looks like we won't have rain, so that is good.
I think I'd like to not announce I am an AMC leader, but unfortunately, my fleece vest prominently displays the AMC logo with the words "Boston Chapter Leader." Guess I'll just laugh and emphasize the fact that I am a cyclist, trying to be a hiker.

Pax
10-16-2016, 05:52 AM
That looks like a fantastic hike, so glad you managed to make it all the way. We did a poorly mapped hike in NM one time, it was supposed to be a 3 mile loop... that went on for 7. Adventure!

I had leg and foot cramps after walking for hours at a convention last summer, guess it's our bodies way of telling us we overdid it?

Catrin
10-16-2016, 10:58 AM
3-7 miles is rather worse than 10-11! Yikes!

The cramping thing is quite new - at least to that degree. I had something similar a week ago after a 3 mile hike. As fatigued as my legs are today and the level of feet-tenderness it may well be more over-doing things than anything. I've been doing 6ish mile walks/hikes, that's rather different than 11... :rolleyes:

Pax
10-16-2016, 01:59 PM
Eleven is pretty extreme if it's not your norm. I assume you're getting enough potassium and magnesium?

Catrin
10-16-2016, 04:03 PM
Eleven is pretty extreme if it's not your norm. I assume you're getting enough potassium and magnesium?

Yes? Maybe? Perhaps? I do need to look into my diet for my usual input of pot/mag. All the great supplementation in the world can't help much if I'm starting from a deficit. YES, 11 miles was a bit much, even the originally planned 10 - but I really like doing endurance things for my birthday. Sadly the weather hasn't been conducive for getting out there for long trail hikes - seems like I had a hard time getting past 6ish miles before there would be another 3 weeks of solid rain and then I wanted to start at 6 miles again and then more rain...

HERE (http://www.wikiloc.com/wikiloc/view.do?id=15148851)is a link to a map I made online of the lovely trail from yesterday. There are NO good, or even ok, maps for the trails in this forest. I'm not saying this is good either, but it's nice to have.

Catrin
10-17-2016, 08:21 AM
I saw my doc for another reason today and mentioned the cramps. He examined me and doesn't think it mineral related. Either my blood flow to my legs, especially the left, is a problem (which would be bad), or I've a structural problem that is the root cause - and he knows what that is.

Hopefully the latter, getting a simple test to rule out the former. If it is the latter as I hope, I will need new boots as they are forcing my legs to work too hard in an unnatural way that's causing the cramps. My only concern would be to find something that make both feet and legs happy.

Why, for once in my life, can't it be simple?

Crankin
10-17-2016, 08:37 AM
Praying it is the reason that is easily fixed. When will you know?

Oh, the weather forecast has changed for Acadia. Now, we will not only have a rainy drive up there, but also, a rainy hike on Saturday.
Great, descending slippery rocks!

Catrin
10-17-2016, 08:56 AM
Praying it is the reason that is easily fixed. When will you know?

Oh, the weather forecast has changed for Acadia. Now, we will not only have a rainy drive up there, but also, a rainy hike on Saturday.
Great, descending slippery rocks!
Yes, hopefully it's the exertional compartment syndrome rather than other things. Hopefully the simple ankle blood pressure test will be negative and I will just have the expensive task of finding new hiking boots. The test will, hopefully, be next week.

Slippery rucks, ugh. Hope you have fun anyway!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

rebeccaC
10-17-2016, 09:52 AM
catrin....if thrombosis was mentioned you need to be really proactive and get help if a feeling of cramping continues to come up....
and yes...hoping it's the latter

saying this in a caring way!!! :)

Pax
10-17-2016, 10:03 AM
Catrin - hope it's the simple issue. And I get "expensive", if I end up needing to replace my old boots in the spring, I'm looking at $150 easy. Miss the days of youth when I could (and did) hike in the Alps in adidas tennies since that was all we could afford (one shoe for anything remotely athletic).

Catrin
10-17-2016, 10:10 AM
I may be resistant to quick shoulder or foot surgery, but anything circulatory or cardiac related is a different ballgame entirely. The cramping has recently increased, which is why I mentioned it today at my appt.

Pax, I LOVE my $200 Solomons... same model is even more spendy this year. Hopefully we won't find out that my legs need the opposite of what my feet need to be happy. I won't buy anything before we learn more but, if push comes to shove, perhaps a higher ankle version of my Keene hiking shoes will work

Catrin
10-17-2016, 10:14 AM
catrin....if thrombosis was mentioned you need to be really proactive and get help if a feeling of often cramping continues to happen.
and yes...hoping it's the latter
He didn't mention his specific concern and I didn't push because I didn't want to stress myself out before the test. I did spend 5 minutes on Dr. Google-Mayo to see what sort of things that test is used for and shut the browser down quickly...

Pax
10-17-2016, 11:13 AM
He didn't mention his specific concern and I didn't push because I didn't want to stress myself out before the test. I did spend 5 minutes on Dr. Google-Mayo to see what sort of things that test is used for and shut the browser down quickly...

Very wise move. I would really enjoy some blissful ignorance with regard to my new knee joint.

Catrin
10-17-2016, 03:17 PM
Very wise move. I would really enjoy some blissful ignorance with regard to my new knee joint.

Well, I've been there before Pax, most recently with my neck and shoulders. It did not do me any good at all, what I learned in those first 5-10 minutes was really all I NEEDED to know. The rest just gives hooks for anxiety to play with. This HAS gone on, rarely, but periodically for years so I'm hoping for the simple answer. Either it's something, or it's not. Hopefully nothing that a new pair of hiking boots won't help :cool:

It was a fun hike though. Fortunately :D

Sky King
10-18-2016, 09:18 AM
Catrin, couple suggestions to see if it helps.
drink some electrolytes before bed,
eat a banana everyday for the magnesium.
use your foam roller or a rolling stick if you have one.
massage your calves by getting on your hands and knees and then taking the knee from the opposite leg and pressing it into your calf muscle and rotating the knee as you move up and down your calf (yes, I know you are feeling the shin but this will help over all)
take a tennis ball and roll your shin area
Do hip flexor stretches (expect you are)

I hate shin cramps and find I get them most often when we've been riding in hot weather and I haven't had enough fluids.

Catrin
10-18-2016, 01:56 PM
Thanks Sky King - these are my usual practices. For whatever reason, my dr doesn't think it's an electrolyte imbalance. We're both hoping it's the structural problem (and there are signs of it) - which has a simple solution. There are also signs of decreased blood flow, but hopefully not enough to be a problem. I get the little ankle test tomorrow morning and, hopefully, will pass with flying colors. Regardless of any other underlying contributor, 11 miles was a bit over-kill :o

emily_in_nc
10-18-2016, 04:36 PM
Catrin, sounds like a gorgeous hike, and 11 miles is a lot no matter how you slice it. I would be hurting too -- though not sure if I'd be cramping, just tired and sore. I hope you can get to the bottom of it. I tend to let all my aches and pains go, since we're on the road and getting to my doctor (or any doctor) can be a non-trivial thing, and more often than not, the problem just goes away with rest, but I know that is not the case for every ailment! :rolleyes:

Has anyone been to Natural Tunnel State Park in western VA? We are here now and did a nice hike today after setting up in our campsite -- around 4.2 miles in the lovely woods, pretty easy, just some climbing and switchbacks, but nothing too rocky or strenuous. We haven't seen the Natural Tunnel yet. That's on tap for tomorrow, our only full day here, plus a few more of the trails here.

Catrin
10-20-2016, 05:37 AM
How did the hike go Emily?

So they did the ankle test yesterday - while a simple test it must be done in a hospital setting. I think it will be fine
I guess the test can tell a lot about peripheral vascular health and as I turn 57 this weekend it probably wasn't a bad idea. Hopefully I will pass the test.

Saw my chiropractor today and he says that whatever else is, or isn't going on, that shin splints are obvious. He said that shin splints can certainly cause the type of cramps I had.

I'm considering finding another doctor. I like him, but the surprising thing for a DO, he seems to always start with the more complicated, serious causes and solutions. He is certainly the first DO I've had as a PCP like that. I do prefer having a DO over an MD, and I'm going to start looking for another one.

Crankin
10-20-2016, 04:05 PM
I would agree, Catrin. Praying that you have a good result.
So excited that we leave tomorrow for our trip! I don't even care anymore about the rain, aka, slippery rocks. I will handle it. Will post pictures.

Catrin
10-20-2016, 04:15 PM
I would agree, Catrin. Praying that you have a good result.
So excited that we leave tomorrow for our trip! I don't even care anymore about the rain, aka, slippery rocks. I will handle it. Will post pictures.

Looking forward to the pictures! What a glorious time of the year for being out in the woods, wet rocks or not? I want to go hiking this weekend, but should allow my leg to heal before I go out as I can't trust myself to keep it short on dirt - perhaps some pavement walking. It was worth it all however!

emily_in_nc
10-20-2016, 05:59 PM
Hi Catrin, Our hike yesterday was very nice. Most of the trails in the park were short, so we did as many trails as we could string together. I suspect we only hiked another four miles or so, but one trail was strenuous (basically stairs and switchbacks to and from the natural tunnel from the visitor's center, much higher up). It was short, though, so no problem. Lovely place!

Today was a different story. We checked into a gorgeous national forest campground in western TN, and did a hike this afternoon that we had no idea of the length of. The sign said 3.7 miles, but was that one way or round trip? We've found that different parks handle out and back trails differently, with some labeling the distance out and back, and some one-way. This one was one-way, and according to our GPS, that was a short estimate. We came up with 4.1 miles one-way, and it was very mountainous, which tends to short-change on miles, since the GPS can't always "see" where we are. Another sign we saw said it was 4.7 miles one way. Plus we had to walk to the trailhead and back, adding an extra half mile at least. So, I am guessing we did around 9-10 miles, more or less.

The hike took us up, up, up a mountain to an amazing overlook, then back down. It was rocky at times and the grade varied from easy to difficult. I definitely learned that I don't care for hikes like this, where you have to do all the climbing in one direction and all the descending in the other. It's tough on the body! I was sweating on the way up, and my heart was pounding at times. I would have loved just a bit of descending to rest, just like on a bike ride! Then on the way down, my left knee started bothering me, and even though I could breathe a lot better than when climbing, I could have used a break in that direction too, from the constant descent. It was a beautiful hike with stunning fall foliage (photos to follow as I haven't uploaded them yet), but a very tough trail for me.

Catrin
10-21-2016, 03:53 AM
Sounds lovely! Where in West TN were you that there were mountains? The terrain sounds like East TN, I thought I was familiar with all of the mountains in my home state but obviously not :cool:

It would be great if all state parks and forests provided accurate distance information on their signage, for sure. Glad the overlook was worth it, but I can see how the trail difficulty was unexpected. West TN is more known for river delta topography and small rolling hills between the Mississippi River Delta and the beautiful ridges of central TN as you travel east to the mountains leading to Cumberland Gap and the Smoky mtns beyond. Excited to see your pictures!

emily_in_nc
10-21-2016, 01:17 PM
Sounds lovely! Where in West TN were you that there were mountains? The terrain sounds like East TN, I thought I was familiar with all of the mountains in my home state but obviously not :cool:

Oh d'oh! We were in eastern Tennessee, of course. We had been in western Virginia for a couple of nights immediately prior, and I was pretty exhausted from the hike when I wrote the post, so it was simply a brain cramp. Thanks for noticing, Catrin! :rolleyes:

We are in the Cherokee National Forest, the Rock Creek campground near Erwin, if you are familiar with this area. The trail was the Rattlesnake Ridge. Finally got the GPS track uploaded today only to discover the over 2700' of elevation gain on the way up. :eek: I am sore today, some in the quads but mostly on the outside of my buttocks, from all the climbing. We had hiked two days in a row prior to this in Va., not long but with some good climbs, so it was just a bit too much three days in a row.

The foliage was spectacular! The cold front came through overnight bringing rain, wind, and much, much cooler weather, so we are bundled up inside today and very glad we got this hike done yesterday while the conditions were so much better. A bit hot and humid but certainly nicer for leaf peeping!

18225 18226
18227 18228

wnyrider
10-21-2016, 01:28 PM
That foliage does look gorgeous!

Catrin
10-21-2016, 02:41 PM
BEAUTIFUL! Interesting that East TN is further along in fall colors than Indiana.

You had me excited that perhaps there were some hidden mountains in West TN :cool: Cherokee National Forest is gorgeous any time of the year, glad you were able to go! Also glad you're not TOO sore after the hike, that's a lot of climbing.

Looking back, I think that I already had at least mild shin splints prior to my 11-mile hike last week. THAT just sealed it. I'm chaffing at not hiking this weekend so I must be feeling better.

emily_in_nc
10-22-2016, 06:25 AM
Yes, the foliage is way farther along here than anything we saw in Illinois, Indiana, Ohio, Kentucky, or Virginia, which is where we were over the past two weeks. Of course, a lot can change in two weeks. We were only in Indiana for one night, in Shades State Park, and it was green as could be -- but that's been awhile now. We were there on October 5th.

The foliage in the photos I posted was on the way up on our hike, which started at over 2000' elevation and ended at over 4000', but we were closer to the higher of those numbers. Everyone says the foliage is later this year than usual, but we definitely hit the peak here in EASTERN Tennessee. :D

We are gonna hike on a waterfall trail today in the park, which is fortunately only 3-4 miles round-trip (again, depending on which sign you read!) I am still sore from the longer hike, but it's our last day here, so I'm doing it no matter what. Glad we did the longer hike first! It is chilly and blustery today; a real change from the hot conditions for our first hike!

Hope you're healed up and able to hike again soon, Catrin!

Crankin
10-22-2016, 01:14 PM
First hike of the weekend is done.
We were really lucky with the weather. However, the area is socked in (we are by the ocean) with fog, and no views from any of the peaks. The foliage is still great, though.
We started out on a carriage road and then quickly ascended, through typical rocky, rooty stuff, but nothing horrible. We got to the top of the climb, about 940 feet. Lots of boulders. We ate a snack, and then shortly after getting off the summit, we had about 100 feet of going down a steep "chute," which was rocky. It would have been a bit scary if it had been dry, but it was wet. In fact the whole hike was wet. I did fine, I just went down on my azz in a couple of spots. After that, we had mostly descending, some up, and very rooty and rocky, but again, usual.
I slipped once, but with a graceful recovery and went down on a knee, without touching, on a stream crossing. I refused help and did it "all by myself." I used my poles on the scary descent and for awhile after, as it started raining for real, but once the rain stopped, I put them away. We ate lunch when we got to a carriage road before the last section of trail. I had bought some veggie brown rice sushi and it was the best! After that, we had about half a mail of trail and another mile of carriage road. It was about 6 miles.
So, we are the youngest in the group :eek:. There is a couple who have been married 60 years! There was one other woman who could hike as fast as DH and I was right behind them. The leaders told us to go ahead, but we could hear the group, and waiting at junctions. So my fears were unfounded and my new Mountain Hardware rain jacket is perfect. I wore my cycling rain pants today, after not using them for years.. I felt fine slowing on the scary parts and everyone was helpful. The leader had even been to one of the bike workshops DH and I do every spring.
I will not post pictures until we get back. Getting ready for happy hour and dinner.

emily_in_nc
10-22-2016, 05:22 PM
Sounds like a nice hike, Crankin!

We did the waterfall hike today. It was only around 3 miles round trip, and our GPS showed just over 1000' of climbing. Like our long hike two days ago, it was all up to the waterfall and all down on the way back. Very rocky and about four creek crossings (the same creek!) but none difficult, lots of nice stable rocks. It was gorgeous! The leaves were a bit slippery from the rain yesterday, but neither of us fell. I was very glad to have my poles on the way down especially! We passed three younger folks on the way down. :cool:

In contrast to two days ago when I was in shorts and t-shirts and sweating, today was multiple layers and chilly. It was in the 40s with a strong breeze and almost no sun, especially deep in the creek crevass where we were hiking. Still, it was more comfortable than being too hot!

18230 18231 18232

Catrin
10-23-2016, 04:57 AM
Crankin, I look forward to seeing pictures when you've a chance. It sounds incredible!

Speaking of incredible, Emily I love YOUR pictures, and you look great - and happy - on the trail. Thanks for sharing!

Today is supposed to be the warmest day in a week for Indianapolis, and it will get to 72, they say. I really feel the need to move, to do SOMETHING, and I can't lift, don't know how to swim (shoulders probably couldn't handle that anyway), so I may try a very short walk on dirt and see what happens. When I mean short, I mean 1 mile or less, and the trail doesn't really connect with any other so that will decrease the temptation to go longer. I've also been told my hiking boots might be part of the problem so will try it with my Keenes.

Crankin
10-23-2016, 12:07 PM
We had a 20 degree decrease in temperature from yesterday and it was windy today. Cloudy, too.
I can say, this was the hardest hike i've done. I didn't let any of the others hear my complaining, but there was a good deal of rock scrambling in the beginning. I was still the third one up, but I was crawling. So were others, though. At least today we had clear views of Echo Lake and the ocean, along with a variety of flora and fauna. Many of these people are naturalists (amateur and pro), but I am just not that interested in the 20 kinds of moss!
There were some tricky chutes/rocks when we had to get down from the peak (I can't even remember the name of the mountain), but I managed it. The peak had a fire tower, which was closed. Anyway, between my eye hurting, my knee aching, and the wind, it was all I could do from melting down. I am proud I did it, and it started to drizzle just as we were getting back. I had become chilled from stopping for lunch, although I really was dressed correctly. We hiked about 6 miles, with 1K ft. of climbing. I still can't believe some of these people did this, between some being over 80 years old, one with cancer, and 2 extremely overweight. The are motivated.
We are going into town on our own for a bit, before happy hour, and then out to dinner. I hope I can move for tomorrow's short hike.

Catrin
10-23-2016, 02:12 PM
Crankin, sounds incredible! Thank you for the description, you are a strong woman indeed. Hopefully tomorrow's hike is more of a recovery hike. Looking forward to any pictures you may have been able to take. I hear you about not caring about 20 kinds of moss ;)

Today I just did an extremely easy 1 mile loop in my hiking SHOES (Keenes), not my lovely Solomons just in case that's part of the problem. It's a few hours later and my left shin is complaining a little, so back to resting it. Well, at least it was a 1-mile FLAT, totally boring test. Not that long ago it would have been a mountain bike trail test, so perhaps I'm finally learning something.

While over-use injuries are never good things to have, I don't think it such a bad thing that I'm having to deal with such things at as I celebrate my 57th :cool:

emily_in_nc
10-24-2016, 09:39 AM
I missed where you are, Crankin. Somewhere in New England? Congrats on finishing a tough hike -- I completely get how you were feeling! I almost, almost melted down on the long one we took a few days ago because DH took off to the summit without me. This is the hike that was nearly 3000' of climbing in the 4+ miles up (and the same descending on the way back). I thought my pace was decent, given the grade, but he is a much faster hiker than me and gets impatient. He did the same thing on the way back. I was proud of myself as I didn't pitch a fit or start a big fight with him afterwards; just calmly asked him why he took off without me and told him how it made me feel. He had a reasonable explanation having to do with the GPS and photo opportunities at the summit, but I asked him, in the future, to please tell me this ahead of time; don't just take off. He said he would and apologized.

It was one of those Men are from Mars, Women are from Venus moments, I think!

emily_in_nc
10-24-2016, 09:40 AM
Sorry you're not able to hike much but glad you at least got in a little walk. Hope you will continue to heal up and be back to the type of hikes you like very soon!

Pax
10-24-2016, 10:22 AM
Happy Birthday, Catrin!!

Crankin
10-24-2016, 06:40 PM
Happy birthday, Catrin! I like your attitude. Hope you had some port or beer to celebrate.
So, our last day of our trip, the sun came out and it was 50 degrees, but still windy near the summit of our climb, and by the ocean. We had fabulous views.
We drove into the park, this time, where I purchased a life time senior pass (I really disliked this) for 10.00, as they are going up to 80.00 next year. We parked at the Mt. Gotham lot and proceeded to hike... it started out rocky, and pretty much stayed that way, only difference being the rocks were different shapes! No scrambling, once DH grabed my pole and pulled me up, since my short legs put me at a severe disadvantage. I found out that I prefer to jump down from rocks, rather than doing a steep step down, which hurts my knees more, even with poles. The view of the Schoodic Peninsula was awesome, and I could see the places we visited with our kids, about 18 years ago. It was our last vacation, where no one was cycling. We went down another trail, and then walked about a mile on a path along the ocean.
Some interesting facts about the other participants... one man is 88 years old, which means he could have been a friend of my parents. His wife is 82. There were quite a few in their 70s, and about 6 others around my age. All educated, accomplished people. So, no bragging about how fast I was, given who I was hiking with. But, I could keep up with the one person who was fast, besides DH, except on the really technical stuff.
We had lunch in Bar harbor and then the long drive home; since we were going into rush hour traffic near the end, it took longer than the trip up. Glad to be home, but also really glad I went.

Catrin
10-25-2016, 07:43 AM
Whoop hooo, just walked 2 miles and as long as my shins don't complain later I hope I'm back on target to lead a 4-5 mile hike on Nov 5th, weather permitting.

Crankin, thanks for speaking more on your hikes, it sounded like a lot of fun. I hear you about not being happy about purchasing the lifetime pass...

Thanks for the birthday wishes! I DID have a Kahloua and cream (actually whole milk) on the rocks. The "rocks" were frozen cubes od some wonderful Mexican sigle-estate decaffeinated coffee :)

Crankin
10-26-2016, 12:26 PM
Here are just 2 pics. I have to get DH to make a link to Flicker with all of them.
The one with the waterfall was at the end of a downhill trail. We crossed the carriage road and then went on more trail.
Geez, I look a little lumpy here, with all of my layers...

Catrin
10-28-2016, 03:03 AM
You both look great and I love the shot of both of you on the bridge!

Pax
10-28-2016, 07:22 AM
So excited, we're heading over to a state park tomorrow and going for a nice longer hike (that means over a mile for me). There's a trail that follows the river, I haven't been able to hike it in the last 3-4 years, I can't wait!

Catrin
10-28-2016, 11:03 AM
So excited, we're heading over to a state park tomorrow and going for a nice longer hike (that means over a mile for me). There's a trail that follows the river, I haven't been able to hike it in the last 3-4 years, I can't wait!
Whoohooo! Sounds awesome, have fun!

Crankin
10-29-2016, 07:37 AM
Can't wait to hear about your hike, Pax.
We've had a bout of rain, which we need, so I went to a tabata class this morning. I have figured out why I have had less motivation to ride in the past 6 weeks or so. Usually, when I get to the end of October, I look forward to hiking, the gym, and getting ready for x country ski season. But this past year, I rode through the winter, with a lot of riding last October, November, and December. So, I kind of felt like I usually do now, in September. I am OK with it, too! Instead, I did more hiking at the height of the season, which has helped my balance and dexterity greatly. I noticed this in my tabata class today.

Crankin
10-29-2016, 11:32 AM
OK, here's the link to my Acadia trip.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/stevemaislin/albums/72157672265881484

Enjoy!

Pax
10-29-2016, 12:32 PM
WOO HOO, I did it!!!!! It was probably only a mile total and I had to switch over to a different trail at one point, but it was amazing!! On both trails I could only go so far because of steep sections that were slippery with leaves, but I still managed some elevation changes and some tight single track type stuff; my poles were worth their weight in gold, I almost felt like a normal person.

rebeccaC
10-29-2016, 03:59 PM
WOO HOO, I did it!!!!!

....:):).....and a wonderful smile on you too

Pax
10-29-2016, 05:45 PM
....:):).....and a wonderful smile on you too

Thank you. I stopped at one point and just cried, I've missed it all so much.

Catrin
10-30-2016, 12:20 PM
WOO HOO, I did it!!!!! It was probably only a mile total and I had to switch over to a different trail at one point, but it was amazing!! On both trails I could only go so far because of steep sections that were slippery with leaves, but I still managed some elevation changes and some tight single track type stuff; my poles were worth their weight in gold, I almost felt like a normal person.

Congratulations an I love that smile! I'm looking forward to our hike next year :cool:

Pax
10-30-2016, 02:17 PM
Thanks, catrin, me too!

Catrin
10-31-2016, 03:22 PM
Thanks, catrin, me too!

So we encourage each other to keep putting one foot in front of the other :)

While I'm still getting occasional cramping, I am (very carefully) getting back into walking. Very conservative distances so far and not yet on dirt. I've also been researching the role of calcium, magnesium, and Vitamin D (and potassium of course). I passed the vascular test (yayyyyyy). I don't believe in heavy supplementation but I have added some magnesium citrate, and a small amount of calcium + Vit. D. Small amounts, we will see. Also going to try my lighter hiking shoes on the local dirt trails to see if my hiking boots played a role in the splints due to being too rigid. Hopefully my feet will agree with the change, there was a reason why I chose those boots. I do think (hope) shorter hikes will be fine with them though - no 11 mile hikes again for some time to come.

Pax
10-31-2016, 04:54 PM
Excellent on passing the test!! Hope the minimal supplementation will help with the cramping.

I wore my newer Merrell Moabs on my hike and have to say, two thumbs up! They were comfortable and gripped like glue on some slippery stuff. I've switched to low cut shoes from a hiking boots and my knee is much happier, much less stress transmitted up the leg.

emily_in_nc
10-31-2016, 05:01 PM
Great hikes, ladies!

Thanks for sharing! :)

Catrin
11-01-2016, 04:41 PM
Excellent on passing the test!! Hope the minimal supplementation will help with the cramping.

I wore my newer Merrell Moabs on my hike and have to say, two thumbs up! They were comfortable and gripped like glue on some slippery stuff. I've switched to low cut shoes from a hiking boots and my knee is much happier, much less stress transmitted up the leg.

Glad to hear the Merrells are working for you Pax, I really did like mine until it became apparent that they just didn't fit my feet properly.

Never thought about stress being transmitted up the leg from my beloved rigid Solomon's causing shin splints before I threw in an 11-mile hike until my doctor suggested it. I am going to experiment this weekend with a 2-3 mile dirt hike in my Keene hiking shoes, I'm a bit nervous that my legs may need the opposite of my feet, but I need to strike out and experiment. I won't know until I try!

Crankin
11-01-2016, 05:45 PM
I hit my small toe on a chair last night. It's stiff and there's bruising on my metatarsal area, but it's not broken. I can point and flex it, just some pain when I really apply pressure. It was a stupid accident.
Glad I have no hiking plans for this week. I went to spin this morning and I have some riding planned tomorrow and Saturday. Not sure if I will be able to do tabata. I only felt pain in spin class when I was standing on the pedals and my foot leaned toward the left. Using Arnica and did some icing.

emily_in_nc
11-02-2016, 06:15 AM
Sorry, Crankin!

I broke my pinky toe on a chair leg last winter. Not fun, especially going up and down the stairs to/from our third-floor apartment. And I had to lay off yoga for awhile. Fortunately, cycling did not bother it as my cycling shoes protected it. Hope yours heals up fast!

What is tabata, by the way?

Crankin
11-02-2016, 07:13 AM
Basically, varying versions of high intensity interval training. Sometimes the intervals are cardio oriented and sometimes they are strength oriented. 45 minutes of sweat!

My foot is better this morning. The bruising is decreased a lot. I can see, though, how going up and down stairs would hurt like hell. I am going out on a ride in about an hour or so. Now that the weather looks better for Sunday, maybe some mild hiking will be do-able. DH is not really into wanting to do 63 miles on Saturday (riding my age for my birthday), and I don't really want to do 63 miles alone. So, if we ride less, I definitely will try hiking on Sunday. I can already feel weird imbalances and other pain starting, because I was kind of walking funny yesterday, to protect it.

Pax
11-02-2016, 07:24 AM
Almost fell flat on my face going into the grocery store this morning, stepping into a dip with my bum leg. Wonder if it would look weird using my hiking poles in everyday life? :D

Catrin
11-02-2016, 09:37 AM
Youch Crankin! Glad you're feeling a bit better and that you have a nice weekend whatever you choose to do. I certainly understand wanting to ride your age, but glad to hear there are other options should your DH decide against it.

I hear you Pax, hope nothing was strained from that almost-fall. I swear If we could just have radar that would warn us about this dips in advance. We could look all prescient :cool:

Pax
11-02-2016, 09:41 AM
That would be great! I stepped into the depression and my bad knee started to give, my quad quivered like crazy trying to keep me upright (way to go quad!) and I managed to stay on my feet. I have got to start paying closer attention to the ground when I walk, I'm typically staring at the clouds instead.

Crankin
11-02-2016, 10:41 AM
I would do that, and I don't have any issues with my knees or legs! And, when I hike I *have* to keep my eyes on the ground. Not head fully down, but in order for my brain to integrate what to do with my feet, I can't just leap ahead, like some do. I am going faster now that I have figured out how to put it all together. In fact, after the trip, I have noticed I am just more coordinated at everything, which is why I want to do more hiking.
My foot hurt clipping in a bit today, but it was pretty much the same as when I did spin class yesterday. Will try icing it later and elevating it, too.

Catrin
11-02-2016, 03:22 PM
I do that a lot more these days, after my fall last year at work that led to knee surgery.

Tried a little 2 mile hike today in my Keenes. Feet weren't as happy as they are in my boots but they typically are less happy at that park anyway as there is lots of gravel. Dirt is much easier on me, will try it again Saturday in another park that has actual dirt trails and see what happens. I will have my boots in the car just in case.

Almost 80 today on November 2! We broke a 150 year record for this date. We are going to cry when the cold finally comes...

Pax
11-05-2016, 02:34 PM
Another hike today in a different state park, gorgeous day out there, we had so much fun!! A bit of uphill and downhill, with two small bridges over the tiny little creeks running through the park.

Catrin
11-05-2016, 03:42 PM
Another hike today in a different state park, gorgeous day out there, we had so much fun!! A bit of uphill and downhill, with two small bridges over the tiny little creeks running through the park.

You both look great and it sounds like fun! I love the smiles :)

Another hiking test for me tomorrow. My shin splints have improved but are still there - but no more cramping. A little test tomorrow to see if I can use my Keens for longer hikes on real dirt (rather than gravel). Last weeks test didn't do so well but there was a lot of gravel, I never do well with that. I'm supposed to lead our little hiking group from church next week and I need to decide pretty quickly if I should cancel...

Pax
11-06-2016, 02:42 AM
Thanks, we were tickled to be out and about. We also had packed a picnic lunch and just enjoyed sitting outside in the sunshine!

I was reading about some hikers on the AT, they use trail runners or low cut hiking shoes instead of boots, but have to use an insole like superfeet to add stability. Maybe some insoles would help your feet in those Keens?

Crankin
11-06-2016, 04:49 AM
I need to use my hiking boots almost all of the time. I usually wear the lower cut light hikers for local trails, but, most of the time I wish I had my hiking shoes on. In fact, when we were in Acadia, I felt like I wanted those really high up hiking shoes; my ankles always feel loose. No matter how tightly I tie my shoes, they loosen. I don't have weak ankles, but I feel like I need more stability. I love my Lowa boots, though.
On another note, I feel like my foot/toe is never going to heal. I wore flats all week, except one day, where I wore a pair of chunky, lower heels, because the top of the shoe is very stretchy and loose. I cannot get into my normal "kitten" heels I wear to work, because they are stiff. Been using Arnica, some icing, and the bruising is much better. But today, my foot hurts more. We plan on doing a hike today and I hope I can get into my boots. The thing is, I know I am walking differently, to avoid direct pressure on the left side of my foot, and that is making other things hurt.

emily_in_nc
11-06-2016, 04:59 AM
Are you sure your toe is not broken, Crankin? Even if not, sounds like a really bad sprain. I hope you can manage your hiking boots and hike, but if not, your body needs time to heal. Annoying, but a part of life, right?

Crankin
11-06-2016, 06:57 AM
Well, I didn't have an x ray, but it's not swollen and the bruising is more on the top of my foot. Besides, even it was broken, there's nothing to do for it but rest. Cycling seems OK, but I will definitely have to modify more than I did last week in tabata. I figure another week of flat shoes and probably more icing. I have not been very good about that.

Catrin
11-06-2016, 10:24 AM
Thanks, we were tickled to be out and about. We also had packed a picnic lunch and just enjoyed sitting outside in the sunshine!

I was reading about some hikers on the AT, they use trail runners or low cut hiking shoes instead of boots, but have to use an insole like superfeet to add stability. Maybe some insoles would help your feet in those Keens?

That would be good if I didn't HAVE to have my custom orthotics, I will experiment later today. Of course, it COULD be that my beloved hiking boots would be fine for dirt only, and for distances no more than 5-6 miles. The orthotics have REALLY calmed both my feet down and my podiatrist doesn't want to see me in any shoes without them. Have no idea how that actually works but even my severe metatarsal joint arthritis has calmed. I used to think that custom orthotics were nothing but expensive arch supports, and while some may indeed be, these are far from that.

Crankin - hope that heals soon and crossing my fingers for you today.

I am off to experiment with my Keenes. If this works I may explore (next year) and see if Keene makes the same hiking shoe that goes higher up the ankle.

Crankin
11-06-2016, 11:43 AM
So, going hiking wasn't probably the best way for me to spend 2 hours today... but now I know.
We went to the Middlesex Fells, which is a huge recreational area, in a more urban area, actually very near my son's house. I've read a lot about the trails, and pretty much it was all correct. Tons of trails, they are well marked, but it's confusing. The Skyline Trail is the most difficult, actual rocky/technical hiking. Our plan was to include a small part of this today. It's also noted to be crowded. Our hike started out fine, but as soon as we got on the more technical stuff I couldn't do any jumping down and I had to be extremely cautious on technical stuff. My foot just hurt. Plus, there seemed to be a large group trail run on this trail, and it wasn't peaceful. So we re-routed and it was quieter and easier. At one point, we stopped by a reservoir and then we were stopped by a young couple, carrying their dog, no water or food, and in street clothes, with sneakers. They couldn't find their way back to their car. We showed them on our All Trails map, and of course, they went the opposite way. Oy.
It had been spitting rain on the way there, but it stopped and then started again after we ate our lunch. We only had about half a mile left, but it was on an unmarked (but on the All Trails app), sort of bush whacking trail. Then we saw a trail runner, so we knew we were almost back. As soon as we got back on the highway, it started raining really hard, but it was sunny back at home.
We went 4.1 miles. This place is a gem for city dwellers, but frankly, not sure if I want to go back. I'd like to try the more difficult stuff; maybe going earlier, when it's colder out would help. Or wait until I can snow shoe there!
I haven't taken my sock off yet, to see if there's more damage to my foot, but I will be icing 2X a day for sure. No hiking for 2 weeks, when we are signed up to do a group hike up Mt. Wachusett.

Pax
11-06-2016, 01:45 PM
Crankin and Catrin, hope both of you have happier feet asap!

We did another tiny hike at a local park today. It started out paved and knee didn't like that at all. Switched to dirt and had an "ahhhhhh" moment. Short but very sweet, did see a small snake which gave me instant willies, but a puppy just down the trail made up for it, she was adorable.

Catrin
11-06-2016, 03:02 PM
Owie Crankin, hope it heals quickly. Pax, your "ahhhh" moment made me smile :)

I hiked 3.4 miles today with my Keenes, and THIS time on true dirt trails, no gravel. It went far better than anticipated, but my ankles are complaining a bit. Something of a surprise, but my Keene hiking shoes are low, no ankle support at all, and I did noticed in a couple of places my feet were fine but my ankle wanted to roll a bit. I will also say the Keenes feel far better on dirt than on pavement - thought THAT isn't a surprise. Hopefully no shin cramps tonight, but I did stretch well when I got home.

It was almost 70, in central Indiana, on November 6? Beautiful! LOTS of hikers and mountain bikers on the MTB trail today, all of us taking advantage of the weather.

emily_in_nc
11-06-2016, 04:44 PM
Well, I didn't have an x ray, but it's not swollen and the bruising is more on the top of my foot. Besides, even it was broken, there's nothing to do for it but rest. Cycling seems OK, but I will definitely have to modify more than I did last week in tabata. I figure another week of flat shoes and probably more icing. I have not been very good about that.

I wasn't either. Mine was also not swollen, and I had almost no bruising, but the angle it stuck out at (completely gross and unnatural) after I stubbed it convinced me it was broken. I taped it to the adjacent toe following instructions I found online and was able to return to yoga after a couple of weeks, but I had to modify a lot of the moves. Wasn't doing any hiking since we were in Mexico, but walking was painful for a few weeks. Still, I did it. I made DH take our dog out for the first few days, but I couldn't stay holed up in an apartment forever, so I limped around.

I might have gone for an x-ray if we'd been in the US, but in Mex. I knew I'd have to pay out of pocket and take a taxi to get to a doctor, so I just didn't bother after reading online that there wasn't much they could do anyway.

Sorry your hike was painful! :(

Crankin
11-06-2016, 05:59 PM
It's not sticking out in any way, or misshapen. I thought about taping it, but I didn't have any tape. I may do that later in the week, based on activities I have planned. Yeah, walking is not entirely fun, but until today, bearable. I iced and elevated it for a bit and rested for 3-4 hours until we went out to dinner with my son and family. That didn't require much walking, though. I am icing it again, now. Tomorrow morning I have Power (weights/core) class. The only thing I can see that will be an issue is lunges, which I can modify. There's only one move that requires jumping, but half the class does the modified version. Mostly, after the squats and lunges, it's all arms, chest and core. Cycling didn't bother it any more than more normal activities, so that's good. It's just a pain. We just signed up for a group hike in 2 weeks, so I will baby it for sure. Of course, I can always cancel going to that, but I was looking forward to it. I was disappointed I felt so limited today, when I felt so strong and coordinated after my trip to Maine.
My son broke is big toe on Father's Day. They put him in a modified boot and gave him a cane and pain killers. I doubt they would do that for a baby toe.

Catrin
11-07-2016, 03:11 AM
Taping it might provide it enough support to allow bit of pain relief in your activities. I don't KNOW that, but it would stabilize it a bit. So sorry you're going through this.

While I didn't have shin cramps last night, I did have some light localized "stuff" (unsure what to call it) in the area of my left shin where I know the splints are. I need to decide if I should cancel the group hike next week - but I really do not want to do that. Perhaps if I'm good this week and rest it - no mile-plus pavement walking sessions, it will be reasonable to take them to the same trail I did yesterday. Certainly no longer distance, assuming they're interested in a 3 mile hike...

Catrin
11-07-2016, 04:38 AM
One of my pictures from yesterday's hike. I remembered how much I enjoy solo hiking, it is rejuvenating. Don't get me wrong, I enjoy hiking with others just as much, but the group I lead is....well....chatty. I don't think there is even one second of silence in our hikes. It does allow me to see the woods through their eyes and that's a good thing as well.

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20161107/d88681c82be029a36aa935bc713d6cdd.jpg

Pax
11-07-2016, 05:20 AM
Great pic, Catrin! Which park were you in? I might hit you up for some recommendations next Spring, we only have a 2-3 three parks near here and I'd like to try something new.

Kind of a PS - what do you gals use to keep ticks away?

Catrin
11-07-2016, 05:54 AM
I was in Ft Benjamin Harris State Park which is nice (and local) as long as you stick with the mtb trails, but I strongly suggest you hit Brown County State Park (mtb trails as the normal hiking trails have lots of steps), and McCormick's Creek State Park. Much more variety and better scenery.

I'm happy to show you whichever or both. The former has many more miles of trails and thus more variety of trails to choose. The latter is smaller, far less busy, a beautiful fall and different types of scenery. Both are in southern Indiana. There are others to choose from but they feature more aggressive terrain, ladders, scrambling, etc. Too much for my knees. I've been told that Clifty Falls State Park is also a good option for me but I've not yet been there. It's further from Indy than the other two.

I don't mess around with ticks, it's something with DEET for me.

Pax
11-07-2016, 07:26 AM
Thanks, I've been to Brown County many many times and LOVE it. We were considering a Fall amble there this year, just not sure if we'll make it over with having to run to Chicago to see the new great niece. Right now I can't do much with steep sections, hopefully that will improve over time, but my right leg is just super weak right now.

Do you just spray around your ankles or do you have to do a full body spray? Hate using the stuff, but surely don't want a tick bite.

Catrin
11-07-2016, 07:33 AM
Thanks, I've been to Brown County many many times and LOVE it. We were considering a Fall amble there this year, just not sure if we'll make it over with having to run to Chicago to see the new great niece. Right now I can't do much with steep sections, hopefully that will improve over time, but my right leg is just super weak right now.

Do you just spray around your ankles or do you have to do a full body spray? Hate using the stuff, but surely don't want a tick bite.

The mountain bike trails at the park varies Pax, I could recommend a couple of mtb trails that do not have long steep sections. There are some shorter sections that are a little steep but not bad at all - the switchbacks really help with that. Let me know if you plan on going this year, shin splints, schedule, and weather permitting I wouldn't mind joining you. I don't know anything about the parks in the northern part of the state so I can't advise there.

I am just as concerned with mosquitoes as I am ticks, so when I spray I pretty much hit all over. I don't ALWAYS spray however, only when it's hot and humid. I am a bit unclear when ticks are active, so I should perhaps reconsider. The few times I've found ticks they have been on my throat, and they DO fall out of the trees...

Pax
11-07-2016, 07:48 AM
I'll definitely let you know if we head over!

Same here, not sure when they're active. I did find one on my head years ago, so now I try to wear a hat. Guess some tick research is in order.

Pax
11-07-2016, 07:54 AM
So, a quick look around the net revealed this about ticks:

Adult ticks, which are approximately the size of sesame seeds, are most active from March to mid-May and from mid-August to November. Both nymphs and adults can transmit Lyme disease. Ticks can be active any time the temperature is above freezing.

As for prevention:

The best way to protect yourself against tickborne illness is to avoid tick bites. This includes avoiding known tick- infested areas. However, if you live in or visit wooded areas or areas with tall grass and weeds, follow these precautions to help prevent tick bites and decrease the risk of disease:

Wear protective clothing such as long-sleeved shirts, long trousers, boots or sturdy shoes and a head covering. (Ticks are easier to detect on light-colored clothing.) Tuck trouser cuffs in socks. Tape the area where pants and socks meet so ticks cannot crawl under clothing.

Apply insect repellent containing 10 percent to 30 percent DEET primarily to clothes. Apply sparingly to exposed skin. Do not spray directly to the face; spray the repellent onto hands and then apply to face. Avoid sensitive areas like the eyes, mouth and nasal membranes. Be sure to wash treated skin after coming indoors. Use repellents containing permethrin to treat clothes (especially pants, socks and shoes) but not skin. Always follow label directions; do not misuse or overuse repellents. Always supervise children in the use of repellents.

Walk in the center of trails so weeds do not brush against you. In camping areas, individuals who sit on the ground or disturb leaf litter on the forest floor may encounter ticks.

Check yourself, children and other family members every two to three hours for ticks. Most ticks seldom attach quickly and rarely transmit disease organisms until they have been attached four or more hours. If your pets spend time outdoors, check them for ticks, too.

If ticks are crawling on the outside of clothes, they can be removed with masking tape or cellophane tape. A ring of tape can be made around the hand by leaving the sticky side out and attaching the two ends. Ticks will stick to the tape which can then be folded over and then placed in the trash.

Gross!! Makes me itch just reading it.

Crankin
11-07-2016, 08:05 AM
I also use Deet. I found a tic on my back 5 years ago, so i don't mess around.

Pax
11-07-2016, 08:12 AM
We were hiking through ankle deep leaves and narrow trails with weeds on either side this weekend. I think when my wife gets home we'l be doing a full body check for hitchhikers.

Catrin
11-07-2016, 04:37 PM
Thanks for the information, I never seem to think about checking their active season when I'm actually around an internet-connected device. I've always been a bit nervous about ticks since I don't have someone around to help me check. Even the mere thought makes my head itch :eek: It's been a couple years since I last found one on me, and that's when I gave up and went back to DEET.

emily_in_nc
11-08-2016, 05:31 AM
Ticks, ugh! I picked a couple off earlier this year -- and off our dog as well. They were much prevalent in the southeast in the early summer, then we got out west and never saw another for the rest of the summer/early fall. By the time we got back to the midwest/east, the season seems to be over. When we lived in NC full-time, we always noticed them most from March through August and very seldom after that.

For those who are interested, I just posted a blog from our time at Natural Tunnel State Park in southwestern Virginia that features a bit of hiking. We were there in mid-October:

http://travelingtwosome.weebly.com/traveling-twosome-blog/history-and-hiking-at-natural-tunnel-state-park-in-virginia

Helene2013
11-08-2016, 06:32 AM
I found a few on my dogs over the years but mostly while traveling in the States. The worst place we found them by the dozens was in Missouri. A tornado was on its way and if we did not see 50-60 at once (they were everywhere around our little camper - trashcan, etc) we did not see one.

This season was a first for us to have our motorhome parked on a campground site in the Eastern townships. Lots of woods, walking trails on the campground itself. I checked the dogs almost daily...no ticks. And the veterinarian map said this area had a lot. I count myself lucky but we did avoid having the dogs (which means us too) walk on the sides of trails and in knee high weeds, just in case. Not tempting the devil. hihi

At home, in the yard, we try to make sure we trim our grass low enough, and the plants get trimmed and shaken often to make sure nothing clamps to it. We do what we can for our pets as I don't want them with lyme disease. And I'm not a fan of giving them chemicals just to kill a possible tick bite. And my 3 dogs are american eskimos...so very long double-coated fur. At least being white, I could see easily the tick if it hopped on them. :)

Crankin
11-08-2016, 02:18 PM
The tic I found was in March, after a warm winter/early spring.
My toe/foot is better today. Not all better, but after coming home from spin early this morning and getting ready for work, I iced it for the 3d time in about 16 hours. Then, when I walked out the door, I realized I was not walking funny and I don't feel so much pain. I even walked to another building across the street, about 1/4 mile, to buy my lunch.
I am cancelling the group hike, but not because of the foot. We had to reschedule our theatre night to a Sunday matinee, and that was the day of the hike. Now I don't feel so stressed. If it is really better, I can hike that Saturday, but right now, I am focusing on riding.

emily_in_nc
11-11-2016, 07:41 AM
Just published a blog post with photos/info from a lovely hike to waterfalls we took in Tennessee in mid-late Oct. Scroll past the campground info to find it:

http://travelingtwosome.weebly.com/traveling-twosome-blog/lovely-rock-creek-campground-in-tennessees-cherokee-national-forest

The center/top of the photos is washed out because I had a scratch on my camera lens -- terrible timing for that. It is out for repair now.

Crankin
11-11-2016, 10:53 AM
Beautiful place, Emily.

Catrin
11-11-2016, 01:20 PM
Emily - thanks for the great pictures in your blog! How aggressive was the trail? Is this the one you mentioned a couple weeks back, or am I confusing this with another hike?

emily_in_nc
11-11-2016, 01:58 PM
Emily - thanks for the great pictures in your blog! How aggressive was the trail? Is this the one you mentioned a couple weeks back, or am I confusing this with another hike?

I think the one you're thinking about will be featured in my next blog post (Rattlesnake Ridge). That's the one that had over 2500' of climbing in a little over 4 miles and was tough! This one was around 1000' of climbing in a little less than a mile, so I guess that makes it a bit steeper, but I didn't find it aggressive since it was manageable in length. At least for me, the climbing that goes on and on and on is more difficult. This one had a few rocky bits here and there and a couple of stepped areas with rocks, along with a couple of rocky but not difficult creek crossings. I don't think you'd find it too tough. It seemed like a breeze after Rattlesnake Ridge!

Catrin
11-11-2016, 03:02 PM
They both sound like fun! I tend to prefer trails that were designed with switchbacks rather that straight ups and downs, or at least my knees prefer that.Looking forward to seeing your next blog post!

emily_in_nc
11-15-2016, 05:31 AM
Here's the post on the Rattlesnake Ridge hike that was so amazing, Catrin et al:

http://travelingtwosome.weebly.com/traveling-twosome-blog/rattlesnake-ridge-trail-lots-of-climbing-rewards-us-with-amazing-fall-foliage

This will likely be our last real hike of the year since we're with my family now (busy with projects) and heading to Florida on Sunday for the winter. We sure had some great hikes this year, though!

Crankin
11-25-2016, 01:27 PM
Did 6 miles on the Metacomet-Monadonock trail in Pelham, MA. It was really pretty, but the weather is foggy and gray. My foot survived, but nowhere near healed. Wearing boots actually made it feel better.

emily_in_nc
11-25-2016, 01:28 PM
Well, I'll eat my words in my previous post...we ended up finding one more spot to hike on the way south from visiting my family. This was not strenuous hiking in the least but was gorgeous, and we had the trails to ourselves:

http://travelingtwosome.weebly.com/traveling-twosome-blog/an-unplanned-hike-in-magnolia-springs-state-park

I'd say we walked/hiked about 3.5 miles total. We had fun, and so did Paisley. She rarely gets to go on our hikes because of trail regulations or it just being too long/strenuous for her. This was just right.

Pax
11-25-2016, 07:44 PM
We followed REI's lead and "Opted Out" of Black Friday shopping and went outside instead. Took a chilly but lovely hike, so good to be out in the woods instead of a store.

BikeDutchess
11-26-2016, 08:44 PM
My daughter and I "Opted Out" as well! It had snowed, but it was warm enough that a good part of the trail was mud and slush. Without my Yaktrax I would have biffed it for sure.

https://c2.staticflickr.com/6/5529/31150832241_bc0ffd14d0_z.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/PsGa9v)
#optoutside (https://flic.kr/p/PsGa9v) by DutchRosie (https://www.flickr.com/photos/48330200@N04/), on Flickr
(In the bottom right pic, we were looking waaaay down into the pull-out where our car was parked.)

rebeccaC
11-27-2016, 11:08 AM
Beautiful images BD…..

While visiting friends in Michigan for Thanksgiving we opted out by going to Flint and donating the money I raised from my work colleagues and especially from my ceo Ellie ($35,000 for the FlintKids’ Child Health & Development Fund}. Alex and I spent most of the day delivering water, water filters and replacement cartridges to residents. We also helped in an arts class for autistic children doing water coloring. Even thought it wasn’t hiking it was a wonderful day of sharing instead of shopping.

Pax
11-27-2016, 02:05 PM
BD - wonderful pics! Here we are, happy, and OUTSIDE!

Rebecca, awesome way to spend the holiday!

Crankin
11-27-2016, 02:29 PM
No pictures, but we hiked about 5 miles in Estabrook Woods today. I probably should have stuck to my plan of riding, but DH did not feel that great. We got a little lost, as we now have to park at the other end of the main trail, because of a controversy about people parking on the street where the Concord trailhead is. I missed the turn off trail to do the loop, so we went down another way and then missed another turn off, which I should have known, as I used to mountain bike here. After a bit of yelling and screaming and me strongly saying I did not want to bushwhack, we got back on the trail, and finished the loop, with a nice stream crossing. Mostly, though, the ponds are so low low because of the drought.
Probably the most people I've seen in here, as a lot of families were out, due to the holiday. Mostly at the end, though.
My foot is now hurting in places that I did not injure, so I am icing it and hoping it will be back to where it was this morning.
I've hiked 11 miles this week, so it's good.

BikeDutchess
11-27-2016, 06:45 PM
Rebecca - what a wonderful cause! Pax - loved seeing your pics as well - you look very happy to be outside! Crankin - I can totally relate to the "after a bit of yelling and screaming" - glad you got to finish out your hike and hope your foot will be OK.

Crankin
12-11-2016, 01:32 PM
Today we hiked in Great Brook Farm, where we usually go x country skiing. Except, DH had downloaded a route that was mostly not on the ski trails. They were hiking or mountain biking/snow shoe trails. We didn't start until close to 2 PM, so we brought our headlamps, although we didn't want to have to use them! The first part entailed a very narrow, windy trail, in the middle of the ski trails on what is usually our normal starting point. Then, we crossed the road and thought we'd just be going up some of the bigger climbs on the ski trails. After a certain point, we were at a junction of a hiking trail and a spot close to the bigger climb on the ski route. DH's phone battery was being used up quickly, as he was using a new hiking app to follow a route and the cold, too. We decided we didn't want to venture into an area that while we knew headed around and back, without the trail map and possibly darkness. We saw that we were now on the conservation land trails in the next town, so we turned and went with a route that took us up a climb we know well, and back, no map needed. Even the ski trail signs are down at this time of year. We could see that what we did paralleled what was on the intended route in a shorter way, so next time we will start at noon. As it was we did 4.2 miles and got back about 35 minutes before sunset.
It's going to snow tonight, but not enough to ski, so maybe we can go back and it before we are on our skis. It might be hard to do this on snowshoes, walking on the edge of the ski trails we did do. But, it was cool to be in a place I've been to many, many times and see new stuff. Very few hikers, all with dogs. And only saw one mountain biker, back in the parking lot.

Crankin
12-26-2016, 01:41 PM
OK, today we did the hike we were supposed to do in the above post. We were with our friends, and it was very fun. Of course, today the trails were iced over in about 90% of the terrain, and there is no way you could acutally hike without ice spikes. We saw a few people trying to walk along the sides of the trails, as well as one guy who was sliding down a hill on his butt, being pulled by a couple of dogs.
The part of the hike that we didn't do last time is awesome. We were on trails that are part of the conservation land in the next town, that went along water, which was beautiful. Saw a large beaver dam. Then, we turned onto a trail that parallels, to some degree, the big climb of the ski trails. It is called Stone Root, for a good reason. It's a dedicated hiking trail in the ski area and quite up and down, narrow, and on a ridge for a good part.
The hike was about 5 miles. Near the end, we saw a dad and his maybe 7 year old son on fat bikes, on one of the flatter ski trails. The kid was climbing at a ferocious speed on a little Trek fat bike! We got back, ate a snack, and then went and had lunch at Ferns, where all cyclists meet to eat. We actually saw two riders stop in. It was a nice enough day for a ride, but our friends don't ride in the these temperatures, and i was happy to hike.
Ready to fall asleep now!

Catrin
12-26-2016, 02:31 PM
So glad you've been able to hike! I've not been able to hit the trails since my concussion at Thanksgiving. I do hope to hit either trails or MUP once or twice over the next couple of days. I'm off work until Jan 3rd which is very nice. It got to 66 today - but rained much of the day so I only managed a 1.5 mile walk on the streets.

BikeDutchess
12-27-2016, 05:10 PM
Tried to work off some of the Christmas gluttony with a snowshoe hike today. The snow was already pretty packed down, so it was not a very strenuous hike, but still nice to get off the couch.

https://c4.staticflickr.com/1/692/31921435075_e7e06389c9.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/QCMGwg)
Wasatch Winter (https://flic.kr/p/QCMGwg) by DutchRosie (https://www.flickr.com/photos/48330200@N04/), on Flickr

https://c8.staticflickr.com/1/677/31806292831_7e5b7d4b06.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/QsByKa)
Making tracks (https://flic.kr/p/QsByKa) by DutchRosie (https://www.flickr.com/photos/48330200@N04/), on Flickr

https://c5.staticflickr.com/6/5606/31885749556_93fbcfd18e.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/QzCNsG)
Winter (https://flic.kr/p/QzCNsG) by DutchRosie (https://www.flickr.com/photos/48330200@N04/), on Flickr

Catrin
12-28-2016, 07:06 AM
I had a beautiful cold, but sun drenched hike yesterday. A bit under 2 miles as I'm coming back from concussion and I still have shin splints in one leg, but all is improving. I've a lovely photo I would like to share but for some reason I can't seem to share any photos on TE just now.

Today I plan on driving north an hour or so and visiting a new set of trails that are in a park devoted to a native archeological site. Hopefully I can figure out the photo-posting problem afterwards.

Catrin
12-28-2016, 11:47 AM
Hopefully this will work! I think I need to break down and get a flickr account.

This first picture is from yesterday - it was a glorious day though it was chilly at 41ish degrees. I've good layers however, so was nice and warm for my 1.6 mile hike:

Wheww, my new approach appears to be working. This river shot is from today, about an hour north of here. It was ~43ish when I was out and frankly, I almost had too much on. That was comforting as I didn't have my warmest layers on. Right before taking this shot a huge flock? group? of ducks had just taken off from the river but I couldn't move fast enough to get the shot.

3 miles today on soft slushy gravel/dirt mess. A bit nervous that my remaining shin splints will complain but so far so good.

rebeccaC
12-28-2016, 01:54 PM
Tried to work off some of the Christmas gluttony with a snowshoe hike today. The snow was already pretty packed down, so it was not a very strenuous hike, but still nice to get off the couch.
that looks beautiful....is that emma or you in the middle image?....great post processing too!!!!!

BikeDutchess
12-29-2016, 09:53 AM
Catrin, it worked and great photos!

Rebecca, thanks! Not me in that middle image - I'm always the one lagging behind to take pics, lol!

Catrin
01-01-2017, 01:57 PM
Had a lovely 3.25 mile hike today with several hiking friends from church. At 45 degrees the trails were fully thawed...and quite sloppy. That is usually a trail that takes just over 1 hour, but it took a full 1.5 hours today as it was SO muddy in places that we had to pick our way through to keep from falling. Very thankful for my trekking poles for sure! I can handle falling and getting muddy, that's no problem. The problem is my track record these last two years when I've fallen, I just have too many broken bits to risk it.

I did enjoy the hike, mud and all. I do still have shin splints in one leg but the other is healed - which is why I headed for the 3.25 mile trail rather than the 4.4 mile option. Bit by bit! I will relax, and work on my Tai Chi form later tonight.

emily_in_nc
01-02-2017, 05:35 AM
Good for you, Catrin! I have a real aversion to walking or hiking in mud. I just hate how it gets stuck in every crevice of my boot or shoe sole and builds up. Feels very yucky to me, not to mention the difficulty cleaning up afterwards. In NC we used to hike at the Eno River State Park often on weekends, and when the trails were frozen in the coldest winter mornings, I enjoyed it so much more than when things thawed out and brought the mud!

Catrin
01-02-2017, 01:36 PM
Good for you, Catrin! I have a real aversion to walking or hiking in mud. I just hate how it gets stuck in every crevice of my boot or shoe sole and builds up. Feels very yucky to me, not to mention the difficulty cleaning up afterwards. In NC we used to hike at the Eno River State Park often on weekends, and when the trails were frozen in the coldest winter mornings, I enjoyed it so much more than when things thawed out and brought the mud!

It's certainly nicer when it's frozen - I didn't think it would be THAT muddy. It could have been worse however, and the trekking poles provide stability.

Crankin
01-07-2017, 09:14 AM
Did a 4.7 mile hike this morning on a new (to us) set of trails in Concord. After dropping my car off for an oil change, we headed to the trail head in DH's car, about 2 miles away. It was very confusing, in an area of private roads/driveways, but after a few circles, we found it. The first part, a client had told me about, as it's a back door way to get down to Walden Pond, avoiding the state park parking lot fee. That part I remember! We were following a route on All Trails, but when it's cold out, the phone's battery is affected, so I made DH bring his hiking GPS, too, so we could mark the beginnning and have a way to get us back if the phone died. It did get very low on batteries, so we were glad we had the GPS, as this area is just full of trails, both Concord Conservation land and into the town of Lincoln. After skirting the pond, we went down, down, and turned toward Fairhaven Bay, which is part of the Sudbury River. We actually were right along the water's edge for a long time, and there were signs that this area is seasonally flooded. Then, we thought we were almost back, but we had about another mile.
There was a little elevation at the end, which was good. Nice scenery, and aside from the tourists we saw at Walden (4), only saw 3 other hikers. The trail was partially snow covered, with ice in a lot of places, so we were glad we wore our spikes.
The snow is falling steadily now, and they have upped our amounts since last night. My granddaughter was supposed to sleep over, but DS cancelled, as it's a 20 mile drive for him to get her here. So... I predict I will be x country skiing tomorrow.

Crankin
01-11-2017, 10:44 AM
Did a 4.7 mile hike with my cycling group today. It's super warm out (50s), but the roads are slopped with melting snow from overnight rain, so no official ride. It was a nice hike, from Walden Pond, but across the street from the pond, so not where I was last weekend. I took the opportunity to buy my lifetime senior parking pass for the state parks, which I still hate doing, but after buying the national parks one, I am sort of over it.
This was totally in conservation land in the town of Lincoln, MA. I had been to the very beginning part, but the rest was all new. Due the melting snow, I was unsure about wearing my microspikes, but I did for 3/4 of the hike and although there was some clumping over snow and leaves in the cleats, they were useful in some spots. We got to a totally clear area and we wee near the end, so I took them off. Off ocurse, 2 seconds after that, we were back in the snow and I slipped, but it was a kind of down on one knee, barely and I sprung up, to the amazement of the people behind me. Embarrassing, but at least I wasn't splayed across the trail!
Getting up my motivation to do some work now.

ny biker
01-11-2017, 06:38 PM
For situations when your phone battery might run low, it's great to have one of those portable lithium ion batteries that you can plug the phone into. I got one before a trip a couple of years ago to keep my tablet charged in case my flight was delayed; didn't need it then but I used it last summer when I was listening to Cape League baseball games on my phone. They really come in handy and are small and light. And not expensive.

I didn't realize that Walden Pond was in your area. We are looking at another trip to Massachusetts next summer so I will add it to the list of possible places to visit.

Crankin
01-12-2017, 04:57 AM
Walden Pond is about 4 miles from my house. I would be happy to be your guide through all historic sites!
Yeah, DH ordered some super chargeable battery case for his phone that allows you to charge the case itself, which extends the battery life of the phone. Not sure I understand the premise as of now, but it is arriving tomorrow, and we will use Saturday. He decided not buy the Apple version, so it's a Chinese product. We shall see if it works.
I used to take my kids to Cape Cod League games every summer. It was a lot of fun.

Catrin
01-13-2017, 03:07 AM
Glad to see good hiking going on! For here, it's either been below 0 or so warm that the trails are a total quagmire. 63 degrees yesterday (at 3am) It's close to 40 degrees colder today with a 2-day ice storm warning starts later today. Ugh. I hope to get a 4-mile walk in Monday - it will be in the 50's AND I'm meeting co-workers for an annual visit to the local Fogo De Chao (lunch). Otherwise it will be my usual kettllebell swings and Tai Chi schedule.

Crankin - pretty cool you're so close to Walden Pond.

My Galaxy S7 Active has a pretty robust battery for a smartphone but it would be nice to have a portable charging solution for long hikes as I use it for GPS tracking and other related things during all hikes. I've never killed it that way - though I admit I didn't use it during the 6 hour hike in October for that very reason...

north woods gal
01-13-2017, 10:01 AM
All my hiking, so far this year, has been with snowshoes. :) Snow depth is now running about 2 feet in places with a lot of crusty layers so walking can actually be dangerous, not to mention just plain grueling. Snowshoeing in fresh deep snow is no picnic, either, though. Did three miles after a fresh 10" of snow, the other day, and my legs were feeling it.

Crankin
01-13-2017, 11:46 AM
So jealous, North Woods. All of our snow has melted and there is none in sight in the next 10 days. While I will get to hike and perhaps ride, I will have to travel for snow.
There was a most discouraging article on the front page of our paper today. It seems that climate change is affecting New England at a higher rate than all other places. So, pretty much snowless winters, punctuated by larger nor'easters with lots of snow a couple of times year.
I don't want the long winters of the midwest, but right now, I'd kill to be in Oregon or Washington. Of course, the year I went there to ski, there was no snow.

north woods gal
01-13-2017, 01:01 PM
I get that, Crankin'. We've had some really oddball winters, too or more like very inconsistent, one to the next, and that is unusual for us. The climate change thing affect us, too. A state forester has shown that our true north woods are receding north and will eventually become more hardwoods than conifers at some point. We're also only a little north of the snow line where winters stay cold enough for snow to stay on the ground all winter. Without snow in the winter, our economy is going to take a big hit.

This winter, despite our usual sub zero cold and snow has been punctuated by a number of ice and even just rain storms and that is making a mess of our snow sports. In fact, here it is at 4 above, now, and we are forecast to get some rain next week. Just crazy.

ny biker
01-13-2017, 03:52 PM
Walden Pond is about 4 miles from my house. I would be happy to be your guide through all historic sites!
Yeah, DH ordered some super chargeable battery case for his phone that allows you to charge the case itself, which extends the battery life of the phone. Not sure I understand the premise as of now, but it is arriving tomorrow, and we will use Saturday. He decided not buy the Apple version, so it's a Chinese product. We shall see if it works.
I used to take my kids to Cape Cod League games every summer. It was a lot of fun.

Thanks Crankin. We're don't have dates or specific plans yet. Over the holidays I went with my parents to see an exhibit of paintings on the Revolutionary War, including some depicting Lexington and Concord. I suggested that we could spend a day or two there on the way to or from the Cape. It will depend on what they want to do, especially since my father doesn't get around as well as he used to. But I will send them info about it so they can think about it. My mother had also mentioned visiting the Rockwell museum in Stockbridge, though that is much farther away.

Catrin
01-14-2017, 04:41 AM
It's been crazy here for Indiana! Only one accumulating snow so far - and NO non-accumulating snow at all. Temps so far have ranged from -3 (actual temp, windchills ~-15) to 65 just the other morning. Yep, morning - it was actually 3 am at the time they say. Freezing rain today and tomorrow, and apparently temps back in the 50's next week. We have had a couple weeks now where the temps were <20 consistently, but not like it usually is here. Reminds me more of a southern winter (border south, not deep south) where I grew up than a normal Midwest winter

No saying I don't like the warmer temps and not having to drive much in ice and snow but it makes it difficult to adjust to the season.

Crankin
01-14-2017, 10:48 AM
Did the same hike as last weekend, except in the opposite direction, and with our friends. It was definitely easier in this direction. We didn't add on the big hill climb as DH is really sick with a cold, but he didn't want to ruin the what we had planned with our friends who were in for our theatre night on Friday. The temperature was about the same, too, starting at 18 and going up to 25, but no impending snow. In fact, I didn't bring sunglasses, as it was cloudy and then the sun came out. It was fun, despite the depressing discussion about climate change and no snow for x country skiing. One of our friends is up in Craftsbury, VT this weekend, which is almost in Canada. It usually has very relieable snow cover and she said it's "sketchy." I just hate it when it's this cold and no snow!
Well, it's going to be in the 40s later in the week, so I guess I will get my bike out, if the roads are not too bad. Meanwhile, we will go out to Amherst and do some hiking out where our friends live sometime in hte next 2 weeks, if we can't plan any skiing.
NY, we went to the Rockwell Museum last summer, after not going there for like 15 years. It is awesome. We do go to the Berkshires every year, but it's focused on cycling, so we don't a lot of cultural stuff. Last summer was so hot when we were there, we had to do a very short 17 mile ride one day, much earlier than usual and then we went to the museum. The grounds themselves are worth the trip. It's about 2.5 hours from Concord, definitely doable in a day from here, but it would be a long way to the Cape. Maybe you could plan an overnight around here, or out in the Berkshires. It's such a lovely area of Massachusetts that most around here never visit. Most of their visitors and 2nd home owners are from NY or NJ.
A few years ago, DH and I drove to Lenox to meet Lisa (remember her) from TE to go to a big winter clothing sale at an outdoor store there. Lisa lives about 25 miles from the MA/NY border. Deb, who was winter camping out there, also joined us. It was a very fun TE experience and DH ended up buying the most stuff!

Catrin
01-14-2017, 02:30 PM
I remember when you met Lisa and Deb, TE outings are always a lot of fun - that's been my experience over the years.

I've not been able to hike since Jan 1, and I'm itching to get out. The trails are very muddy however, that's the downside of such warm winter temps. Your conditions sound perfect Crankin, much easier to hike on frozen trails :cool:

I really want to get out solo however. I do have hiking friends, but there is a small downside to that. It almost makes me feel bad to admit it to myself, but my local hiking friends do not seem to be capable to have one second of a hike pass in silence. I love these women, they are very good friends, but I need to make certain I do more solo hiking this year. I enjoy hiking with them, don't get me wrong, but when 2 or three involved conversations are happening throughout the entire hike it gets tiresome. Part of why I like to hike is to reconnect with the world around me, and I can't do that with constant chatter. Am I the only one like this? So my goal this year is to attempt to alternate solo and group hikes. I also would like to hike in every state park in Indiana - though there are two that may be overly technical for my knee.

Crankin
01-15-2017, 08:20 AM
No, you are not the only one. I like my hikes with our friends, because it alternates between talking and silence.
DGD slept over last night. She didn't go to bed until midnight and I had to do the brunt of the care, as DH is sick. She slept until 7 AM, and I am exhausted. I am hoping to get out for a short hike later, as my dreas of an 8:15 tabata class went out the window very quickly.

north woods gal
01-15-2017, 09:29 AM
Constant chatter would drive me nuts, too. In fact, it would irritate the heck out of me while hiking or doing anything out in the woods. It would be like chatting during church, because, well, the woods are my church. :)

Crankin
01-16-2017, 05:20 PM
So, today we went to a state park about 35 miles NW of here. It's not far from the place we x country ski, just over the border of NH. Also near where we climbed Mt. Watatic last summer. So, based on our hike Saturday, we did not bring our ice spikes. There was no snow or ice along the road as we drove up there, so we thought we were safe! We were going to do the "moderate" 5.2 mile hike, that had a lot of climbing. Of course, after just a short bit, there were ice and snow patches, but we could either go along side of them, or walk on strategically placed rocks. However, when the trail turned, it became narrow and full of ice and crusty snow. Even DH was not willing to try, so we doubled back a bit and found the easier "family friendly" trail, that also had some ups and downs. We saw a way to make this longer and climb up a small mountain, but we were stopped by ice there, too. So, we hiked around the camping sites and went back the way we came. Not a total fail, as we hiked 3.3 miles, with some good climbs, and it was really nice. We may even try and camp there next summer.
I think we will go back next week and try again.

emily_in_nc
01-17-2017, 05:01 AM
That sounds nice, Crankin. Glad you didn't risk slipping on the ice, but I am sure it was pretty. Although I don't like the cold, I do enjoy winter hikes. No bugs, spiderwebs, weeds across the trail, not as much sweating, and I like the way the woods look in bare branches -- the views are better, for one.

Crankin
01-22-2017, 01:31 PM
We were thwarted in returning to the state park today. Still warmer, but in the 40s and cloudy. When we were ready to get ready to leave, we checked the weather and it said it was raining there, and we could see rain on the radar. So, we decided to keep it local. Of course, once we got in the car, we looked at ther radar and there was nothing.We hiked 3 miles in Estabrook Woods, using our app to find a couple of new trails. Saw a few cross riders in the beginning and just afew other hikers, although there were plenty of cars around at the start. We hiked down the old ski hill, which is steep, and that was fun. Not as much fun as snow shoeing up it, though. As we were driving home, we did see several cyclists, as we were on extremely popular roads. I thought about getting my bike out for a short ride, looked up, and it was sprinkling out, so that didn't happen. Stopped at the natural foods store, and headed home for lunch.
So, a 3 mile hike at a good pace. Kind of bored now, I've been reading, but the rest of the world is wrapped up in the football game, which we could care less about!

Catrin
01-22-2017, 02:43 PM
Glad you got in a good hike Crankin! As for me, the temps have been unbelievable in my part of the world. I went for a long walk yesterday, and today, with NO COAT! 66 yesterday (almost a 100 yr record), and close to 60 this afternoon. This means the trail are a muddy mess so I'm having to avoid dirt. Hit a MUP yesterday for almost 4 miles, hit the local canal tow path trail today for 2. I seem to be (finally) working out which shoes for what pavement. My feet are happy :-)

I'm also noticing that when I don't walk in some ways most days that my sacrum/SI joint gets very unhappy with me. My chiro keeps having to unlock it. I sure hope I'm not getting arthritis THERE as well!

Very thankful for the warm weather walking, and afterwards bought a small child-size scoop of some amazing ice cream. Great for January...but frankly I would prefer if it were closer to freezing so the trails would be hard and I could try out my cleats for hiking - bought them in December and still haven't had a chance to use them.

Pax
01-25-2017, 06:33 AM
Found out the other day that we qualify for a $25 lifetime pass to the University Armory indoor track. You have to be 55 and instead of $3 a day or $250 a year, it's only $25 one time! So we both joined and are going there to take looong walks (my honey runs), they do college track meets there so the track is nice, it's softer than concrete and they don't mind if I use my poles as long as they have rubber tips. Same as Catrin, our weather has been really warm so all the trails are mud bogs, and my poor leg swells up a lot if I walk on concrete... so a big win for our fitness!

Crankin
01-25-2017, 09:44 AM
That's great, Pax. How do you keep from being bored? I am not dissing it, just asking because I can't seem to do more than 5 minutes on a treadmill. I tend to go do some kind of class, if it's rainy out. Frankly, I am more likely to hike in bad weather than walk inside!
I restrained myself today... have not been feeling well since late Monday. DH has been sick for a month, still coughing, but better. I've been achy/thinking I had swollen glands for a couple of weeks, which abated and then Monday I got somewhat congested, just in the nose. I can breathe, a minimum of sneezing, but my head is full. No sore throat or swollen glands, just tiredness, achy a bit, no fever. So, I went to yoga with weights today and only warmed up a bit on the TM. Living in fear of it going south to my chest; my stomach is a bit off and my muscles are sore from this morning and Monday's power class. It's nice out, but windy, so I skipped the group hike and definitely would not ride. I am going to curl up and rest this afternoon, so I can assess if I am ok to go to tabata tomorrow morning.

Pax
01-25-2017, 11:19 AM
Crankin - usually there are University track and field athletes working out at the same time I'm there. they are fascinating to watch so they keep me entertained. They are so fast! And the watching the high jumpers, pole vaulters, shot putters, and long jumpers has about got me tripping over my own feet trying to follow what they're doing. If they're not there, my honey will walk a few laps with me and chat. All in all it's a decent way to get in a walk.

emily_in_nc
01-25-2017, 12:28 PM
The only way I can tolerate treadmill or track running or walking is with good music in my ears. Once I got an MP3 player, all of a sudden I could do a treadmill run on any awful-weather day at the gym (in NC where I lived, it was often too hot/humid to be tolerable outside, sometimes raining) and even in Mexico heat and humidity I managed to run at the track with my music. Without it, I would die of boredom and notice every little niggling pain or twinge.

Glad you found out about the gym, Pax! That is an amazing price. I'd be on cloud 9 too!

Hope you feel better soon, Crankin.

Catrin
01-25-2017, 01:37 PM
Pax, that is awesome! So nice you found that kind of facility. Walking is good, however we can do it, but that sounds better than having to stick to a treadmill + earplugs!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Pax
01-25-2017, 01:43 PM
I know you'll get this Catrin, I just love being able to walk and swing my arms and take bigger strides, seems we don't get to do that much around here until summer otherwise.

Crankin
01-25-2017, 05:27 PM
I'd like watching those people, too. I used to walk or run with music, but I stopped and focus more on looking at my surroundings if I am outside. If I have to use the TM, it's usually not for more than a 5 min. warm up, so I just stare into space. I don't even have headphones to plug into the TVs! I do notice the people, though. I had a 6 year hiatus from my gym, and it kills me that the same people are on the same machines, doing the same thing. That would drive me nuts. Then there's the head shakers. They are moving to the music they have and it drives me nuts. One of them does this in spin. She obviously doesn't know about keeping your upper body still when you ride, so you don't waste energy. I can't look at her! I know this is weird. I think it comes from when I was teaching and you would notice every participant and their little "things." We had names for everyone. My favorite was the woman who came to class with her own headphones/music, stood in the corner, did her own moves, and sang *out loud* to her own music.The fitness director finally had to talk to her. Then there were the smelly people, the people who always went opposite of whatever direction you were going, the guys who had running shorts that, ah, showed too much when we would get on the floor (before spandex type shorts), and the ones who be in your face and think they were teaching.

emily_in_nc
01-26-2017, 04:33 PM
LOL, Crankin! Your post reminded me of a guy who used to come to our Pilates classes at work (2x a week at lunchtime, taught by an excellent certified Pilates instructor) who was apt to let out a fart at any time. :D

He was a super nice guy, but really!?! :eek:

Crankin
01-26-2017, 05:45 PM
That, too. I mean, sometimes people get what is euphemistically referred to as runner's diarrhea when they first start exercising, as it shocks their gut, which is not used to motility. DH and I have a joke that even looking at our cycling shoes causes the need to go! For me, it's more the anxiety of starting a ride.
I could go on and on, but it's no different than types of riders. There was this well known man named Ken Alan who taught workshops for instructors. One of the funniest things I heard him, say was a categorization of group fitness clients; The A's, B's, C's, and D's. He said what everyone thought. I correctly classified myself as a "B" and I continue to find the "A's" as distasteful as I did in 1987.

Crankin
01-28-2017, 04:18 PM
We finally got back to Willard Brook State Park. Much more snow there, in the woods. Not enough for snowshoes, but crunchy, with ice under a lot of it. It was about 38 and alternating between sunny and cloudy. I was a bit overdressed, but near the end, glad.
So, there was a good long climb in the middle and then DH decided to turn a certain way so we wouldn't backtrack or do too little. Having the All Trails app is great, but I still get nervous. We turned off of the SP trail, onto one with a name and sign that looked
like it was a nordic ski trail. There were no markers, but signs at the intersections. We eventually saw another couple... and got to a place we were familiar with and near the end.
The scenery was nice, but not especially different. I would love to snow shoe there, with more snow, of course, and also find out where those other trails are from. 4.5 miles.

Crankin
01-31-2017, 03:17 PM
Had a good and very challenging hike up Northfield Mt. Sunday, about 4.4 miles. This is a cross country ski/recreational area and it's sad to see it so bare. There was a layer of crunchy stuff on the snow shoe trail. Met our friends there and we all comiserated about the lack of snow. DH and I hiked this August and it seemed harder Sunday! Not technically hard, just really steep in a few places.

emily_in_nc
02-01-2017, 01:25 PM
I guess all the recent New England snow must have gone north of you. Sorry, Crankin! Every night when I watch the national news, I see TONS of snow, but it's mostly out west and in the plains, I guess.

Crankin
02-01-2017, 04:33 PM
It is depressing. There is snow up north, but I am not sure how great it is. Our friends are going up to the White Mountains this weekend, staying where we stayed over New Year's. They asked us to come, but we didn't want to spend the $, as we are unsure of the conditions (even though all of the x country centers say it's good) and in the middle of planning our summer trip, which is really expensive. But, we will make one more trip before winter is over, even if there's no snow around here. We had a little storm last night, but no more than 1-2 inches. It was over 40 today, so it was pretty on my group hike, but it's all melted now. There is nothing else predicted except snow turning to rain next Wednesday.
So, I keep hiking and riding my bike when I can, along with the gym. Another month and I will be focused on seriously getting back on the bike.

Catrin
02-01-2017, 04:56 PM
Glad you can get out and hike Crankin, though there are other winter activities you would like to do. How messy are your trails?

It's so warm here that I know the trails would be mud-sucking quagmires so I've not been going. It MIGHT be cold enough Saturday morning for the trails to be at least semi-frozen, or at least I'm crossing my fingers that it will be possible.

Crankin
02-01-2017, 05:33 PM
Occasional muck. The hike in the state park last Saturday was muddy, but not muck, as there's more running water there than other places I hike. Today was an inch of fluffy snow over pine needles and leaves. So, a bit slick, but I had to take off my spikes, because they were clumping up with snow, leaves, and ice pellets, although it was not icy. Mostly, my hikes have been a bit of crunchy ice/snow, punctuated by leaves, or just plain icy. I actually don't mind if it's muddy, I just need to remember to take my shoes off before I go in the house.

Catrin
02-02-2017, 07:01 AM
Occasional muck. The hike in the state park last Saturday was muddy, but not muck, as there's more running water there than other places I hike. Today was an inch of fluffy snow over pine needles and leaves. So, a bit slick, but I had to take off my spikes, because they were clumping up with snow, leaves, and ice pellets, although it was not icy. Mostly, my hikes have been a bit of crunchy ice/snow, punctuated by leaves, or just plain icy. I actually don't mind if it's muddy, I just need to remember to take my shoes off before I go in the house.
Sounds great! I don't mind mud if it isn't a quagmire. It's been so bad that if the trail has a sideways lean, one starts sliding to the edge 😲 when that doesn't happen so much mud collects on boots that it quickly becomes hard to move, and that is just destructive. I DO hope I can hit the best drained trails this Sat, time will tell.

Pax
02-02-2017, 07:53 AM
We are wanting to hit the closest state park this weekend for a hike, but if the temps go back up to 47, as predicted, it will be a bog.

ny biker
02-02-2017, 12:11 PM
I just read about long-range models forecasting warmer than normal for this month for the entire lower 48. A couple of cold fronts are expected here over the next week but nothing really cold, and low chances of significant snow despite this being our usual month for significant storms.

I read this as: start using the antihistamine eye drops now, because pollen will be kicking up early.

Hopefully it means that your mud will dry up.

Pax
02-05-2017, 08:18 AM
Woo hoo, sunny and 46 today!! We're gonna get our hike on in a little bit.

Crankin
02-05-2017, 12:22 PM
Did a 4.3 mile hike in a new area, a combination of MA Audubon trails and town of Westford trails. We hiked around a pond, which was pretty and all, but flat, then turned off onto more up and down trails. So, we got to a road in a development, which we were supposed to follow for a little and then head back into the woods. We saw the sign for Audubon land, but no trail. This was following someone's hike on All Trails, so we ened up bush whacking, which makes me nervous (we were not far from civilization, but I still get nervous) that involved a stream crossing, where someone had made a nice bridge of several logs tied together. I still went across on my rear. Probably only bush whacked for 1/2 a mile, then found the trail.
I used to always want to take my kids to this pond, as we used to drive by there a lot. The hike into the pond is at least half a mile, and I was laughing, thinking that my son who is the major endurance athlete would have been complaining his head off when he was little!
Definitely will go back to explore other trails, sans the bush whacking.

Pax
02-05-2017, 01:01 PM
Our hike was a total bust, my knee was hurting earlier today and even though I iced it just got worse. So I limped for about 3/4 of a mile and had to throw in the towel. I get so frustrated, it was supposed to be better after I went through that barbaric torture, and so many days it's just the same. I feel like crying.

Catrin
02-05-2017, 01:15 PM
Our hike was a total bust, my knee was hurting earlier today and even though I iced it just got worse. So I limped for about 3/4 of a mile and had to throw in the towel. I get so frustrated, it was supposed to be better after I went through that barbaric torture, and so many days it's just the same. I feel like crying.

((((Pax)))) so sorry :(

emily_in_nc
02-05-2017, 05:25 PM
Bummer, Pax, I am really sorry too. I can only imagine how frustrating that was. :(

Pax
02-05-2017, 05:36 PM
Came home and iced over the next few hours, took some advil, and shared a bottle of wine with my honey. Amazingly, now I'm not feeling quite so cruddy. Just have to work through this new reality and keep trying. Thanks for the commiseration.

Crankin
02-05-2017, 06:05 PM
Sorry about the aborted hike, Pax. The wine helps :). I had to have 2 glasses just to get through 1/2 of the Super Bowl. DH had me under threat to be sociable, which wasn't hard, as we were with closer friends, but really, I would have rather been in my house, reading. Now safely home.
I hope you look into the shorter cranks thing mentioned in the other thread.

north woods gal
02-06-2017, 12:35 PM
Not the greatest snow, over here, either, but at least we do have enough snow to ski. Reports are that the groomed trails are okay, but I don't do groomed trails and my backcountry trails are pretty dangerous, now. Have a couple of inches of snow on top of almost solid ice pack. Makes for way too much glide and almost no kick or control. Pretty spooky for downhill stuff. Forecast is for more icy stuff and then some more weather in the 30s, next week, so not looking good. Not complaining, though. Sounds like I'm lucky to have any snow.

Sooo ... rather than aggravate last week's bike bruising, I went snowshoeing, today, instead, just to play it safe. Did four miles which included some backcountry swamps and bogs that are normally inaccessible other times of year, places that probably never see a human and all within hiking distance of the house. Cool.

Also, this is my first set of woman's specific snowshoes and I love them. They're made by Crescent Moon and they're designed for a woman's narrower and shorter stride, so I can walk normally, not the usual bowlegged style I've had to use with other shoes, all the more so because I am pigeon-toed, too. The beauty of snowshoeing with good shoes is that you can go no matter what kind of snow you have, even pure ice.

Catrin
02-06-2017, 04:56 PM
.... The beauty of snowshoeing with good shoes is that you can go no matter what kind of snow you have, even pure ice.

The snowshoes don't go sliding on ice?!?!? COOL! hmmmmmmmmmm

Crankin
02-06-2017, 05:13 PM
Nope. That giant crampon in the front is akin to monster ice spikes.

north woods gal
02-07-2017, 04:57 PM
Correct. Old traditional wooden snowshoes didn't have crampons, but modern snowshoes usually do and some pretty gnarly ones at that.

Catrin
02-12-2017, 05:43 PM
Nice! Perhaps some day I will be brave enough to trust my broken bits to snowshoes. Thanks!

Catrin
02-17-2017, 06:33 PM
FINALLY, a very nice 3 mile hike this afternoon on almost perfectly dry mountain bike trails :cool: 63 degrees in Indiana on Feb 17 - almost unheard of. It was fun, but my feet are telling me they noticed that we've not been hiking regularly.

They say it will get even warmer - even into the 70's which will potentially break the all time record high since 1930 - and other records are open for breaking for each of the next 7 days. If we do manage to hit the 60's or higher for the streak they are forecasting, that in itself will be an all-time record since they started keeping records. I do have hikes of shorter or longer duration planned for the next two days. Rain isn't in the forecast before Tuesday...

Pax
02-18-2017, 02:51 AM
Congrats on the hike! Sounds great.

Yeah, this weather has been bizarre, but I'm sure enjoying it. Well, I'm enjoying it through the window, I've been in the house for a week with a lung infection and bronchitis, wheee! But got a boatload of meds so that should help; maybe I'll be able to get out for a hike while it's still warm.

Crankin
02-18-2017, 03:09 PM
Sounds nice, Catrin. I hope your feet recover.
Hope you feel better, Pax.

ny biker
02-18-2017, 03:27 PM
Sounds nice, Catrin. I hope your feet recover.
Hope you feel better, Pax.

+1!!

Catrin
02-21-2017, 01:45 PM
My feet got over it in time for the 2.67 mile follow-up hike the next day :cool: Sunday, however, I did take off (other than my TaiChi practice) and went to the movies.

Crankin
02-26-2017, 01:56 PM
Today we hiked up Little Monadnock Trail, a total of 4 miles RT. We drove about 15 minutes from the inn we stayed at, to the NH state park where the trail started. There was only one other car there, with stickers on it, indicating a serious hiker/climber. The park is called Rhododendron State Park because as you enter the flat loop trail, it is a canopy of rhododendrons. Quite impressive. So, we had the All Trails file to follow and there were OK trail markers, but every once in awhile, we weren't sure where to go. Perhaps it was because there was little evidence of other footprints. There was some crusty snow, some ice (we wore our spikes), and other parts were bare or very wet. A good deal of the trail was along or in shallow running water. Thank God for Gore Tex.
This trail had everything. A stream crossing, steep rocky pieces (short) and lots of elevation for 2 miles up. So, we got to a summit, but it wasn't the real one, but near. We had a great view of Mt Monadnock, but DH wanted to go to the real summit. I was nervous and yelling, as we left the marked state park trails here, although it was marked, but confusing. Right after we started up to the summit, we saw a woman, alone with a dog, who had come in from another spot. We eventually got to the summit, but the view was obstructed by trees.
I used my poles going down and in one place, scrambled down on my butt. It went much faster than I thought it would. Pretty much, I would say this was as technical as what I did in Maine last fall, but it was the getting lost a few times that got to me. DH has a much higher tolerance for this, although we were really never far from the trail, just had to look around for the markers and use the app.
We drove home from there, about an hour and 15 minutes. I am all cleaned up and ready for my son, DIL, and granddaughter to have dinner here, but I am pretty tired. 1885 ft. total ascent.

Catrin
02-26-2017, 03:53 PM
Crankin, that sounds just plain wonderful! So.glad you got to do that, and I understand being nervous about leaving the marked trails.

It's a quagmire around here again...sigh.

Pax
02-26-2017, 04:18 PM
Crankin, that sounds just plain wonderful! So.glad you got to do that, and I understand being nervous about leaving the marked trails.

It's a quagmire around here again...sigh.

Ditto, stepped off the path for a second yesterday and both boots caked up with mud. And I wasn't even going for a real hike, just a short walk and it's a bog again.

north woods gal
02-26-2017, 04:47 PM
Crankin', I don't blame you a bit about getting nervous about leaving marked trails. I, for one, have an almost non-existent sense of direction, so getting turned around and lost is usually an ongoing nightmare for me. I just dread it. Haven't met too many people with worse. Then, too, you always hear about reports of people getting lost in parks and so on. This year, no way am I going into our backwoods without a GPS.

emily_in_nc
02-26-2017, 05:37 PM
Crankin, your hike sounds like one that we did in the mountains in TN back in the fall -- lots of uphill hiking to a summit, then all the way back down. Definitely a challenge! It sounded very pretty.

BTW, in NC we lived on Monadnock Ridge Road for 10 years. It was a private road, named by the first landowner on it who hailed from New Hampshire. There was an old, unpaved rocky trail on the back of the property lines that used to be an actual road in the days when roads were used by horses only. There were remains of several old cabins on it, and it was informally called Ridge Road, so I guess that helped him name our actual road. Whenever I hear about Mount Monadnock, I think of our place in the beautiful hardwoods of North Carolina's Piedmont!

Crankin
02-27-2017, 05:01 AM
That is so cool, Emily. Sounds like areas of central and western MA.
Northwoods, using the All trails app is like having GPS, you follow a "line" of a route that is already recorded, and you can see the other stuff around you, to take alternates. I have a good sense of direction, but not when I get in the woods. I just get anxious, even when we have the tools. DH has a horrible sense of direction and relies on technology for everything. I once (many years ago) let him take the wrong turn out of a theatre in downtown Phoenix when we were going home. For a second, I thought we might be going out for dessert, but no, we were heading toward north Phoenix, when we lived south, in Tempe, and had for many years. He just kept driving and I waited to see how long it took it to realize it! He is much better now, since living in MA forces you to work on this, with rambling country roads and names of streets that do not make sense.

emily_in_nc
02-27-2017, 12:06 PM
Cute photo, Crankin!

Catrin
03-06-2017, 11:36 AM
It wasn't really a hike yesterday, but I did go for a 2.5 mile walk yesterday with a friend and I drug her to an ice cream shop that just sprang up while we were on the canal tow path. That's my story at least 😎

All joking aside, I DO still have shin splints in one leg, but I figure if I ramp up slowly this year and avoid that 10 mile trail this year that it will be OK. Probably should avoid more than 6 miles over a weekend until I know for sure it's healed.

Crankin
04-01-2017, 01:27 PM
It's April 1st and snowing. Not a lot of snow, but, it's been coming down for about 24 hours, with about 2-3 inches of wet snow, as it's above freezing now. Today we went to the Stow Town Forest and hiked up and down and up and down 2 loops of the hill, plus a lttle more, for a grand total of 2.3 miles. It took 55 minutes and was tough going, hiking in the wet snow, which felt like glue. No need for the microspikes and definitely not snow shoes, either. We ascended up the steeper side of Gardiner Hill, went down another side and then back up a different trail and back down the same way as the first descent. When we were almost back to the car, we saw a couple x country skiing; I cannot imagine skiing in the crap I was in today. Plus, post holes and dirt spots.
It was great to get outside, though and glad I did this, instead of tabata class.