PDA

View Full Version : Not sure if I"ve been ripped off

fretwes
03-04-2006, 10:35 AM
Argh - just brought home my new Trek 5200 road bike. The bikes comes standard with a triple Shimano Ultegra crank set. At the bike shop they suggested I swap it out for a compact crank set - apparently these are becoming popular - two rings instead of three makes for less maintenance, less derailer problems etc.

Anyway, I went for it - they told me it would be a straight across swap, no extra cost. I just assumed (you know what happens when you do that :) ) that I'd be getting a Shimano Ultegra compact crank set. But now that I have the bike home I see I've got a Bontrager Race compact crank set.

I've looked on line - both are aluminum, but Shimano Ultegra triple crank I traded in retails for $260 and the Bontrager Race goes for about $170. Should I go back to the bike shop?

They did throw in a pair of zero speedplay pedals with the purchase of the bike - but at no time did they mention the crank set I'd be getting would be different (other than being a compact) than the one I was trading in.

Can anyone explain the difference to me between these two cranks quality wise?

Nanci
03-04-2006, 10:41 AM
I'd go back. Maybe.

But I'd probably be lost without a triple, anyway. I suck on hills, and need all the help I can get, never mind when I ride in mountains...

And it's the principle of the thing. Not that Bontrager Race isn't good (I'm sure poart of the Shimano cost is the name). Still...

Do you _like_ the Bontrager? Will a double work better for you, forgetting that the compact is trendy right now?

Nanci

fretwes
03-05-2006, 07:40 AM
Well I'll have to ride with the compact awhile before I know if I like it. In fairness to the LBS, they did say if I didn't like the compact they'd put me back in the triple. I'm just concerned they may have swapped my triple for a component that isn't as good in terms of quality, and considering I just laid down over 2k for this bike, that concerns. me.

AutumnBreez
03-05-2006, 10:10 AM
Nice of them to suggest, but if the price and quality are not matched you could go back after you research and find a compact you would like and is compatible and would be comparible in price, ask them if they have that brand on hand, then after you get a yes, or that they can order it, ask them to install it once it is in, as your replacement.

If you have info it is harder to mess with you. Get the original triple put back on sooner then later, and then after the other is ordered to have it replaced with the researched brand, you would not have to argue or put them in a spot that they ripped you off. If you do it in a soft manner. BUT, they may try to charge you for a whole new part leaving you with a triple in a box you may have to sell on your own. Not that it is difficult to do, you could probably sell a new triple if you have no wear on it. If they have the researched item on hand right then, just say you prefer that one. Hope this makes sense and helps.
Though I am thinking that the speed plays were not thrown in without sticker being considered. ALSO: LABOR Charges for placing pedals and new crank. Best to not assume as you know....
Here is what my dh found for you.
Competitive cyclist website price:
http://www.competitivecyclist.com/za/CCY?PAGE=BUY_PRODUCT_STANDARD&PRODUCT.ID=2751
Which speed plays did you get? what are the individual price for the specific ones you got?

latebloomer
03-09-2006, 06:17 AM
Well, Shimano makes an Ultegra compact, so I would have wanted an equal brand/quality swap, and frankly probably would have assumed that was what I was getting, just as you did. I'd go back. Not sure I would say you got ripped off, but it does seem odd for them to recommend that to you, especially when a lot of people are asking to have compacts swapped out for triples.

Good luck!

bcipam
03-09-2006, 09:51 AM
I would bet your triple is now on someone else's bike... happens all the time. It's very weird a shop would even make the suggestion. Were you asking to make the bike lighter or about riding with a double?

If you are fairly strong and lightweight, the compact crank will probably be good for you. It does save a few grams and maybe even an ounce of two. I'm assuming they also changed out the chain and rear derailleur? Have you ridden the bike to see if it shifts well? Not all that easy to change a bike from a triple to double or vice versa. Alot of fine adjustments are needed. The chain has to be shorten and usually the derailleur needs to be replaced.

And yes - you got an orange for an apple. But consider double cranks are uusually cheaper than triple cranks. It's just odd you didn't get the same brand and model. I like Shimano products and especially Ultegra. I'm not a fan of Trek or Trek products. The Bontager Race is not a bad crank. It's just not as good as Shimano Ultegra in my humble opinion.

fretwes
03-12-2006, 08:36 AM
Well I called the LBS and they were very accommodating - they will either give me a credit equivalent to the difference between my compact and the one I thought I was getting, they'll swap it out for the Bontrager Race Lite Compact, OR I can have my triple back.

Since the original deal was that I could try and compact and then decide if I liked it OR wanted the triple back, I"m going to wait until I have a chance to go for a ride on it before I decide what I want. Between the weather and me being sick I haven't even RIDDEN my new bike.

Thanks everybody for your comments.

carimail
03-12-2006, 12:14 PM
Of course, if they did give you any trouble - you could just tell us and, after fifty or so phone calls from your women-cyclist friends - they'd probably budge! :)