PDA

View Full Version : Thinking about trail riding

MollyJ
05-18-2015, 02:35 PM
I really love my road bike. But I have thought about how it might be cool to try trail riding, something more off road. I have a nice hybrid bike that lets me ride in town and on some gravel. So that's not what I'm talking about. I'm talking about going out to a lake or some trails.

So I don't really know any trail riders. I know the ideal is go out with some one who is doing it and try it with them.

Also if I were looking at Trek type bikes for this purpose, what do people like.

I am a sturdy but not fast road bike rider. I did 40 miles yesterday. But my son took me on a hike on hiking trails that doubled as bike trails and I couldn't help but think how biking that might be really cool.

So am I strong enough? I'm 58 years old. what questions should I be asking?

And please if this topic is previously hashed out, link me to those threads.

thekarens
05-18-2015, 04:03 PM
I know xc mountain bikers in their 70s. Just start with easier trails.

thekarens
05-19-2015, 02:20 PM
I'll tell you the advice that made the most difference for me and mountain biking, that's to get out of the saddle. When you go over roots or rocks or whatever get out of the saddle and let the bike move under you and let your arms and legs be the shocks.

I'm no great rider, but that made a world of difference in things I was willing to ride and my confidence level.

Irulan
05-27-2015, 02:08 PM
I'm 55, and I teach mountain biking. 10% of the gals that show up for the weekly ladies rides are over 50. So don't let the age thing get in your way. I will build on what thekarens said: take a skills class. You will not regret it. It will save you a lot of frustration, help with confidence and make you a safer rider.

MollyJ
05-28-2015, 05:00 PM
Thank you to everyone that replied. It's all good stuff. Irulan, I live in the middle of KS. Where might one attend a "skills" class? Are they usually offered through bike clubs or local bike stores? Just a starting spot...

ny biker
05-28-2015, 06:50 PM
My LBS has some skills classes and beginner rides. We also have a mountain bike club in this area, but it doesn't look like there are any in Kansas, at least none affiliated with IMBA.

https://www.imba.com/partners/chapter-and-club

Irulan
05-28-2015, 07:20 PM
a quick google "mountain bike club kansas" brings up five different organizations.
add "skills" to the string and this pops right up:
http://www.meetup.com/The-Wheel-Cyclery/events/168785572/
it may not be current but these things aren't hard to find.
I'd check each organization's web site for women's rides, events, classes, clinics
If you don't see what you want, email the club and ask. Not all volunteer organizations are organized.

edit: wow, Earthriders has a ladies' only forum, how about that!

ClickIn
12-07-2015, 05:32 PM
After about a 15 yr break, I started mt biking again and just love it! As other suggested, I went to a Women's Mt Bike Camp in Indiana. http://www.midwestwomensclinic.com/ I hope to go back this yr!

The new bikes are amazing. I bought a Juliana Furtado, it is sooooo fun!

ny biker
12-08-2015, 07:42 AM
I would like to get back to mountain biking. There are some parks around here where the trails are not too technical, which is about my speed. I just need to get the mountain bike out onto a road or paved trail to make sure everything is working and to check on some saddle position changes we made last year. So what is stopping me? It just seems there are always fun road rides to do. And I already know the road bike is in good shape and the fit is dialed in.

One of these days...