PDA

View Full Version : Report on "Group Cycle"

Crankin
03-03-2006, 01:22 PM
OK, a few weeks ago I was discussing that my gym was going to start a new spin program called "Group Cycle," which is from the same outfit that does the Group Power (lifting) classes. So this week ALL of the spin classes were in this format, even though all of the classes will not have this when they go back on the regular schedule. I was very negative about this change, just because I like to have variety when I go to spin. It's bad enough to have to be cycling inside!Anyway, it's pretty much like I thought it would be. I went to 3 different classes and they all were the same. Same CD, same moves even though I had 3 very different instructors. BORING. On the plus side, the class was very safe, which is really good. They moved the bikes so all the clients can be seen by the instructor and they keep the lights on (personally, I hated the dark riding). But, I wish they just trained the instructors a little more about what is safe and what isn't, so there would be more variety in music. Thankfully, the riding season should be gearing up in a couple of weeks, so it won't be too much of an issue for me. I usually attend a class or 2 a week through April until I can consistently ride outside 4 days a week. Just wondering if anyone else has had experience with this format.

Robyn

SadieKate
03-03-2006, 01:41 PM
Sounds like you could hold class in an elevator with Muzak.

jackierose24
03-07-2006, 10:59 AM
My Gym Started Those Group Cycles And I Hate Them! I Love Walking Into Class And Not Knowing What We Are Going To Do, Ot What Music They Are Going To Use, Thats What Makes It Exiting. Otherwise You Start To Dread It!

kiwi girl
03-07-2006, 03:34 PM
I go RPM classes which is the Les Mills International group cylcing class. Although the classes are all pre coreograhed (sp?) the instructors are allowed to mix and match tracks from the range of CDs produced (Les Mills bring out a new one every three months I think it is (the same thing for Body Pump which is their group weights class). If the system you are using is the same it could be that if they have only just introduced it the instructors only know one class and that things will get better as they learn new ones.

On the other hand if they system is that they have to all use the exact same tape for however long then yeah that could get boring

Crankin
03-09-2006, 03:39 PM
I'm pretty sure it's the same outfit you speak of, since we have Body Pump classes at my gym. But for now, all they have is one CD, one routine. Well, the outdoor season has started for me (60 degrees this weekend) and although I know there will be plenty of cold, raw New England days between now and May, I will probably be able to go to the classes that are not in this format.
I wrote a detailed email to the fitness director, so we will see if I get a reply.

Robyn

Jen
03-10-2006, 03:51 AM
I'm an RPM instructor. It is fun, and great training if the instructor presents it well. Gorup Ride is by a group called Body Training Systems. They use to work for Les MIlls but were fired because they did not sell the product correctly in USA. Golds Gyms corporate all have RPM. RPM is choreographed by professional cyclists, I believe one rides for Nike and has extensive background in training cyclists. If done right and the resistance is coached correctly it is fantastic. I just rode the new release, RPM 30 yesterday with the people from New Zeland. It is very challenging. RPM 31 is suppose to be the best release ever done. RPM 29 is GREAT! The music is carefully selected to set the cadence so you don't have to guess where you are like in other cycle classes. Cadence and duration is set. You have to choose resistance according to your ability. Increase it to get a better workout. Take that heart rate up. Track 5, the Killer!!!

Adventure Girl
03-10-2006, 04:53 PM
I have taken lots of "group exercise" classes over the years. It has been my experience that the pre-choreographed routines (step, spin, kick-box or whatever) are usually "OK" but not great.

A great instructor teaches a better class than the canned routines. But the canned routines are better than the bad instructors!

But even in pre-choreographed classes, some instructors that are better than others. If you're lucky, you have choices and you can pick what works for you. But if you're not, you take what you can get and make the most out of it.

Brandy
03-14-2006, 03:38 PM
I've taken one of the Les Mills RPM classes with the guys from New Zealand as well, and while it was a great workout, I really didn't care for the music. I was also a little turned off by the fact that the instructor kept taking both hands off of the handlebars in a show-offy way...I didn't think that it was setting a very good tone of safety for the ride.

They've demo'd the RPM classes at our gym twice in the last few months and I'm really hoping that they don't make it onto the schedule. I need variety and good music!

Jen
03-15-2006, 03:33 AM
I agaree, the music isn't so hot. It is more European. The last release was excellent. I just got the new release in the mail. Horrible. I feel so let down. As with anything, there are good and motivating instructors and there are not so good instructors. I like it because it goes non stop for 50 min, you burn a min. of 600+ calories but probably more if you worked your resistance, and then you are done and out of there.

Brandy
03-15-2006, 09:45 AM
I guess I should clarify that when I said both hands off of the handlebars, I meant while he was standing! http://www.smileypad.com/v221/Angry/BashHead.gif

Jen
03-17-2006, 05:30 AM
I saw the guy do the same thing. It was kinda funny lookin. I guess they drummed up that move for the quarterly presentation. The guy that designs the program is Dan McDonogh. He has a very impressive background cycling. I check it oun, typed in his name in Google.

VenusdeVelo
03-18-2006, 05:47 AM
*Sigh*...hands off handlebars while standing, that's just not correct form. Enough said, I won't harp on it !!

Re: music though, I feel like we are genericizing these group fitness classes so anyone can teach them with little to no experience/training/style (ie, pre-programmed CDs and choreography). It's frustrating as I believe a good instructor is like a choreographer -- they know how to create music which suits the moves and they make it exciting, interesting and fun.

My 2 cents :p

Jen
03-20-2006, 09:32 AM
I have 3 cycle certs and found RPM to be the toughest and most complete course I took. Madd Dog was good Greg LeMond was the worst. Madd Dog and Greg LeMond don't teach you how to teach. Everyone in the room walks away with a certification no matter what. With RPM you have to present a video of yourself teaching a class and have 3 months to get it in. You are greaded on your choreography, teaching skills and form. you have to get at least a 70% or you are not certified. Not all spin instructors are good at it. I personally put a lot of effort into my classes, my presentation. I ride outdoors and do alot of reading. RPM is safe, fun, and burns alot of calories. I have learned alot from it that I have been able to apply outdoors. You get new information on cycling and technique every quarter and DVD's. It is quite popular at our clubs. There are one or two other instructors that do studio cycle that folks seem to like but most are extremely boring in their presentation and choreography. No one thing is bad, different strokes for different folks.