PDA

View Full Version : Standing Runs

Jen
03-03-2006, 05:07 AM
Been spinning for ages but only recently taken up outdoor riding. I understand that people use standing runs to help develop their quads. That this will help with speed work in time trials????? I was taught in my Lemond Cert class that this kind of move was dangerous. standing straight up and down and pedaling fast was like making your knees pistons. Many instructors use it. I was taught to tip at the hip, weight of body over the crank, feel the saddle between my legs. Any comments on the safety of this position, straight up and down, would be appreciated.

Crankin
03-03-2006, 06:09 AM
Well, I'm not a racer, so take this as my 2 cents.... I can't think of any time on the bike that I would be standing straight up and running! I don't do it in spin and it's just unsafe for your knees. Any time I am out of the saddle I am in the traditional climbing position. I might move around a little, but not straight up.
My son raced for 4 years and I can't think of any time I saw him running in a standing position.

Veronica
03-03-2006, 06:13 AM
I don't do Spin class anymore (quit the gym) but there are a lot of standing sets on the Spinervals DVDs which I do with my bike in a trainer. I do those sets in my outside standing position which is down in the drops. There are some sets where you are in gear designed to have a high cadence spin 110 - 120. Personally I have found these to be great for building leg strength.

V.

Jen
03-03-2006, 06:31 AM
I do the standing runs in the traditional climbing position too. I work my quads by doing time trial intervals. Alot of spin classes have unsafe positions that will hurt you in the long run. Gotta look out for yourself.

Veronica
03-03-2006, 06:59 AM
One thing I forgot - if my form is falling apart and I can't get it back because I'm fatigued, I stopped the standing high cadence work.

V.

yellow
03-03-2006, 09:42 AM
OMG, when I saw the title of this thread I thought, "Standing? With the runs? HARD CORE!" As betagirl and I can attest, this is just too close to home!

:p

Suffice it to say that I don't go to spin classes, hence I was unfamiliar with the term. I get it now!

han-grrl
03-07-2006, 09:46 AM
when i was FIRST taught standing running in spin class about 6 years ago, we were taught to be upright...when i teach it, basically, hand position two, and not so upright and DEFINITELY NOT out of control pedalling. so i guess it isn't really running, i actually call it a standing flat, but its really more like climbing...make any sense?

VenusdeVelo
03-12-2006, 01:22 PM
I agree the up and down run on the pedals is not good form. Feeling the seat between your legs, tilt at the hip a bit...use the same form you would use if you were to do a slight higher cadence on a standing climb (think Lance standing up on the hills).

Even when you watch the standing on Spinervals, most of the riders will take on the proper road form, they don't spin like a hamster, they create a smooth cadence...and if you need to add more resistance, add more. The add'l resistance helps teach you to create a smooth spin without stomping...and this is harder to do on your bike on a trainer than it is on a stationary bike. (I find you can get sloppy on a spinner bike without noticing you are stomping.)