PDA

View Full Version : I feel so official (GACK!)

fixedgeargirl
03-02-2006, 06:18 AM
I am the Volunteer Coordinator for the Tour d'Organics - Austin! It's a ride of 35/65/100 miles through the Texas hill country visiting organic farms ending up a farmer's market where a vegan meal will be served.

Now for the GACK! part, I've never been a Volunteer Coordinator before :eek: ! I'm a little intimidated. No, a lot intimidated. My assignment is to find groups to man all the rest stops, 8-10 of them. How do I do this? Oh yeah, I'm also supposed to find HAM radio operators for the rest stops.

I stepped up to the call for volunteers to stretch my comfort zone, be more active in the cycling community, maybe get some creds that will help me find some cycling-related job. It's all good, I'm just nervous.

If anyone has any tips, I would Love, Love, Love to hear them!

Trekhawk
03-02-2006, 06:26 AM
Cant help you at all Im afraid. I just wanted to say good for you for stepping out of your comfort zone. Im sure you will do a fantastic job.
Good Luck.:)

ladyfish
03-02-2006, 06:27 AM
Scout troops are always a good source of volunteers. You might also want to tap into local organizations such as American Legion, VFW, schools, etc. There's lots of volunteer organizations out there that enjoy these type of opportunities.

On the ham radio front, contact some local radio stations. Chances are some of their folks are also amatuer Ham radio operators. You might also want to reach out to Ft. Hood (in Killeen, TX). A wealth of volunteers and also potential Ham radio operators. (Contact the Army Community Service on post and they should be able to give you contacts).

Good luck. You'll do great.

Running Mommy
03-02-2006, 06:51 AM
scout troops, local tri or bike clubs, and even high school kids. Alot of high schools are giving community service credits now if kids voly for stuff like that.
As for the Ham radio operators there should be a local club.

Lise
03-02-2006, 07:37 AM
Good for you for stepping up! When flummoxed, I always seek out anybody who's done it before. Did they have this same set up last year? I'd ask last year's volunteer coordinator what they did that worked or didn't work so well. Why reinvent the wheel? Have fun! :D Lise

maillotpois
03-02-2006, 07:53 AM
Good for you!!

One suggestion: We did a Tour d'Organics ride last year in Sonoma County, CA. I think it was one of their first rides. They did NOT have enough food, especially for the century riders. I am not sure if your volunteer coordinator duties would encompass food issues, but I just wanted to throw that out there. While many of the riders are vegan, and used to just having fruit during a ride, and nothing else, they also drew a lot of riders who were used to more substantial fare. And they did not have enough fruit for everyone either.

Aside from that - have fun, and good for you for giving back and helping RUN a ride! I am sure you will learn a lot and have fun.

fixedgeargirl
03-02-2006, 09:05 AM
What a lot of great responses in, really, no time at all! I knew this would be the right place to ask!

Thanks for all the great ideas of groups to ask to (wo)man the booths. The guy in charge said he preferred non-profits, so I kind of had that stuck in my brain (and my Google search bar). I didn't think of all those other groups. Thanks! I know the bike clubs are being contacted (by someone else) asking to promo the ride on their sites, but I hadn't thought of a separate contact to ask for volunteers Thanks!

I have emailed a couple of HAM radio clubs, including the one at the University. It's not like they list phone numbers. Is email a good way to reach out, or should I try for more *personal* contact?

Maillotpois, last year was the first year for these tours, this is the first year in TX (so, Lise, no one to ask :( ). I have to admit I'm a bit skeptical about the food situation, too. In the meeting we had with Brad, the president of Organic Athlete, all they talked about was oranges and bananas, and possibly some of these locally produced *crackers*. I've had the crackers, and my jaw aches just thinking about trying to chew one :rolleyes: . And this reformed-vegan engine cannot run on fruit alone (no goo packs, no bars, no turkey sandwiches :p ). I really don't want to carry enough food for 5-6 hours. Did you give feedback regarding this? Brad seems pretty receptive and really wants these things to succeed.

maillotpois
03-02-2006, 09:19 AM
I did not give feedback - I probably should have.

I did the 35 mile ride on a tandem with my 9 year old daughter and her grandfater (on his own bike). My daughter and grandpa had to stop at a donut shop during the ride because there wasn't enough food for them! While it was okay for me for 35 miles only, my husband and his sister did the 100 and were famished.

laughlaugh18
03-02-2006, 09:29 AM
Volunteer coordinating is great fun, but sometimes can feel like herding cats! Patience is a great virtue. You'll do well, I'm sure.

In addition to the sources already suggested, there must be other charity rides in your area (especially your area :) ) Can you track down a volunteer coordinator from one of those rides and pick his/her brain?

Are you also responsible for coordinating the volunteers day of the race, too? If so, PM or email me if you'd like some suggestions on logistical and other prep to help things go more smoothly.

Cathy

fixedgeargirl
03-07-2006, 09:40 AM
Oy, I sure hope I'm not *responsible* for coordinating volunteers on race day! I have more than once expressed my desire to do the ride (though I'm having second thoughts - I didn't know the ride would be so *vegetarian* :rolleyes: :p ).

I've got to find some volunteers!!

None of the HAM clubs has responded to my emails :( !

I'm thinking of throwing in the towel :( :o .

bikerchick68
03-07-2006, 11:31 AM
fixed... also put a notice up in the local bike shops and Starbucks (there's always riders there! LOL)! Many times you will geta response there because other cyclists understand how critical it is to have support!!!! And often if you volunteer to work an event, you get to ride the next event for free... find out if that's the case and be sure to include that tidbit of info... good luck with it! :)

texas_emily
03-23-2006, 07:01 PM
Having been a volunteer...and casual observer of a ride organized by members of my cycling club, maybe these suggestions will help.

Re: Volunteers
Have you thought about contacting student groups at UT? Depending on when the ride is scheduled to happen, you may have a good source of volunteers there. The coordinator of the Tri County Hill Hopper (Feb, Round Top) works at Texas A&M and is always able to get student groups to volunteer for the aid stations.

Re: Food
I'm not sure if this would fly, but what about contacting some of the Austin Co-ops (thinking Wheatsville), Central Market, or Whole Foods? I think Whole Foods donated a bunch of organic energy bars to the Hill Hopper two years ago.

Good luck!